Old 06-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Im not saying that. If I were saying that, I’d, you know, *say that*. Also, I , of course, have no way of knowing what these guys would or wouldn’t do.
There are so, so many legitimate reasons for outrage over police officers’ (mis) conduct, some of which are outlined in this thread.
To get worked up over this one, we have to impute motive. It doesn’t look great, sure. But it is more likely some knucklehead decided to “show respect” for the anthem, and the rest of ‘m made like lemmings. As some sort of sly show of support it is frankly to subtle.
Saluting when neo-nazis sing is too subtle for you?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Did you see the movie, Taps? During the cadets' hold out on the campus, every morning the cadets raised the national flag and the cops stood at attention and saluted just like the cadets did. I thought it would've been a perfect time to storm the campus; my father thought it was a great display of respect for the flag.

Yeah, I know it's a movie but lately reality is copying fiction more and more often, and bad fiction too, sadly.*

*I'm not saying Taps is bad fiction.

Last edited by Monty; 06-17-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Im not saying that. If I were saying that, I’d, you know, *say that*. Also, I , of course, have no way of knowing what these guys would or wouldn’t do.
There are so, so many legitimate reasons for outrage over police officers’ (mis) conduct, some of which are outlined in this thread.
To get worked up over this one, we have to impute motive. It doesn’t look great, sure. But it is more likely some knucklehead decided to “show respect” for the anthem, and the rest of ‘m made like lemmings. As some sort of sly show of support it is frankly to subtle.
I'm concerned that the police are increasingly aligned with fascists and neo-nazis. This is another example of that. The crowd contained members of a group (the Proud Boys) which are known to be violent neo-nazis. Again, why the police presence? If it's for general safety, standing at attention for the anthem kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:15 PM

Costco shooting's officer has an "evolving" story:
Quote:
The officer’s attorney, David Winslow, told the AP on Monday that the officer was holding his 1˝-year-old son when French knocked him to the ground and he briefly lost consciousness.

“It wasn’t an innocent push,” Winslow said Tuesday.

When he came to, Winslow said, “he believed his life and his son’s life was in immediate danger” and fired his handgun.
So I guess his handgun was in his hand all along, right? He didn't have to waste any time reaching for it or figuring out who was who after being knocked out: just start shootin'!

And wow! How about his kid, the one in his arms? Didn't the kid smack the ground? Or did he heroically dive under the kid as he fell, cushioning the impact?

This smells fishy, IMO. IME, when details start getting added to stories, it's a flag.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-18-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:25 PM

Forgot to add this to my last post; I blame my kitchen timer:
Quote:
LAPD Chief Michel Moore said authorities are aware of one Costco camera that captured the incident and urged any shoppers who recorded it on video to come forward.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post

Forgot to add this to my last post; I blame my kitchen timer:
The cop was not arrested for this either.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:34 AM

Last night Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams, Mayor Kate Gallego and others met with the public at a church to talk about the Barbie Incident and to promise the public that there would be changes. She was not met with enthusiastic support.
Quote:
“Real change starts with the community,” Williams said to a sometimes hostile crowd comprised mainly of blacks and Hispanics.

“Real change starts with the firing of the officers! Fire them!” one woman shouted toward the stage, where Williams, who is herself black, was seated next to Mayor Kate Gallego and other Phoenix city leaders.

Appearing frustrated at times, Williams assured those gathered that the meeting would not be the last.

“We are here to listen, we are here to make change,” she said.
The couple at the heart of it all has called for the officers to be fired and spoke last night as well:
Quote:
Ames addressed the crowd briefly, drawing applause when he said he and his family were lucky to be alive after the incident.

“No one should ever try to justify what happened that day,” he said.

“We matter,” said Harper, holding the couple’s 1-year-old.
Good for them for asserting their right to exist; it's a shame they have to do it at all, tho.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-19-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
The cop was not arrested for this either.
Talk about giving someone the benefit of doubt. This guy murdered one and seriously injured two others and he gets to walk away for now. If that Costco video doesn't show all three attacking him, he better land in prison for a long time.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Last night Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams, Mayor Kate Gallego and others met with the public at a church to talk about the Barbie Incident and to promise the public that there would be changes. She was not met with enthusiastic support.The couple at the heart of it all has called for the officers to be fired and spoke last night as well:Good for them for asserting their right to exist; it's a shame they have to do it at all, tho.
Yep - those assholes cops should be fucking fired as well. And I say "fucking" because it seems to be the only word these assholes know.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:49 AM

Start by firing the police chief.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
Guns drawn, threatening to shoot a pregnant mother holding her child, Arizona cops dislocate a 1-year-old's arm. Over a Barbie doll.

Quote from the "professional" police officer, dealing with a 4 year old shoplifter:

“I”m going to put a f*cking cap right in your f*cking head! Get your f*cking hands up!

These are words from a gangster. This sounds like some kind of wanna-be criminal scumbag speaking. This is not normal. This person needs to be fired before he kills someone by acting like a criminal.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Quote from the "professional" police officer, dealing with a 4 year old shoplifter:

“I”m going to put a f*cking cap right in your f*cking head! Get your f*cking hands up!

These are words from a gangster. This sounds like some kind of wanna-be criminal scumbag speaking. This is not normal. This person needs to be fired before he kills someone by acting like a criminal.
Send him off to Area 51 with the proper security clearance. Their perimeter guards evidently like that sort of behavior and this would get him away from the general public.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post

Guy seems to have a history of harassing people and lying about it in his reports.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 PM

South Carolina's Finest

Quote:
A South Carolina deputy was taken into custody Wednesday after an intense road rage incident on Interstate 75 south.

Johnnie Bryant, a deputy with the the Hampton County Sheriff's Office in South Carolina, fired seven shots into another vehicle on I-75 south -- north of Tara Boulevard, according to the Clayton County Sheriff's Office.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 06-21-2019, 08:17 PM

I think we're going to start to see more of this:
Quote:
Someone on Tuesday threatened to kill Cuyahoga County Jail officers if another inmate died.

The threat was called into the jail Tuesday to the warden’s office, according to the corrections officers union and a document obtained by cleveland.com.

<snip>

The caller said that if another inmate died, a sniper would shoot officers as they left the downtown Cleveland jail, according to the document.
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019...mpression=true

Like the Second Amendment fundamentalists are always telling us, we need guns to protect ourselves from government tyranny. Does that apply to the people who are actually being murdered by police, or only to people opposed to single payer health care?
Old 06-21-2019, 08:49 PM

The only government tyranny they care about is "taking my guns"
Old 06-23-2019, 06:38 PM

...this man was tasered because he "exhibited behavior consistent with preparing to fight the officer." He didn't actually fight the officer. It was just "consistent with" how people prepare to fight", whatever the fuck that means.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...this man was tasered because he "exhibited behavior consistent with preparing to fight the officer." He didn't actually fight the officer. It was just "consistent with" how people prepare to fight", whatever the fuck that means.
Pretty sure that behavior was "being black"
Old 06-23-2019, 07:37 PM

...just listening to the women recording the video imploring the man to "just get down" and submit. Begging for him to take action so that he doesn't get shot. I found that seriously distressing. That this is the way it has to be now. Cameras out. Submission. Its terrifying.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Kind of reminds me of the XKCD (can't locate it) charting the number of people carrying a camera their entire waking lives (approaching 100%) and the images of cryptids captured (flat, near zero) only the second's police caught inflicting egregious violence and it's rising in step with the first.

How much did they get away with before?
Old 06-24-2019, 01:09 PM

Autopsy: Multiple wounds killed naked teen shot by police.
Quote:
A preliminary autopsy report says an unarmed, black teenager who was naked when suburban Oklahoma City police shot him died of multiple gunshot wounds.

The report released Monday doesn’t specify how many times Edmond police shot 17-year-old Isaiah Lewis
Old 06-25-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Talk about giving someone the benefit of doubt. This guy murdered one and seriously injured two others and he gets to walk away for now. If that Costco video doesn't show all three attacking him, he better land in prison for a long time.
This has been really quiet. I don't like that.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
This has been really quiet. I don't like that.
Kenneth French's parents, Russell and Paola, are both awake and aware their son was killed. That's about all the new information I found tho.

Quote:
Corona police continue to investigate the case, and no arrests have been made.
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...624-story.html

From this bit:
Quote:
“He was shopping with his wife and 1˝-year-old at Costco. His son was in his arms, and he was feeding his son some samples when, within seconds, he was on the ground and woke up from being unconscious and he was fighting for his life,” Winslow said.
Okay; I'm very skeptical of this story. There better be video that shows him being beaten while he was unconscious or something similar because this does not make any sense.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-25-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:01 PM

Patient given the clear to take a walk with his IV is arrested for stealing IV
Old 06-25-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Kenneth French's parents, Russell and Paola, are both awake and aware their son was killed. That's about all the new information I found tho.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...624-story.html

From this bit:Okay; I'm very skeptical of this story. There better be video that shows him being beaten while he was unconscious or something similar because this does not make any sense.
It is so good to know that Corona police have not arrested a killer from their own department.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:48 PM

That seems legit. Whenever you are scared about anything, you should immediately shoot the thing scaring you.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:45 PM

Well hello, Texas!
Quote:
A Texas police officer has been indicted on a murder charge two weeks after shooting the unarmed driver of a truck that had been reported stolen as the vehicle swerved past his police SUV in a Dallas parking lot.

Farmers Branch Officer Michael Dunn, 43, turned himself in Wednesday night after a grand jury returned the unusually swift indictment in the killing of 35-year-old Juan Moreno, officials said Thursday.

On June 12, police in suburban Farmers Branch spotted a white pickup that had been reported stolen from the city of Irving. Dunn followed the vehicle over the Dallas city line to a shopping center and opened fire as Moreno was pulling out of the parking lot, police said. Surveillance video appears to show Dunn firing into the driver’s side of the truck as it makes a sweeping turn around his cruiser.
Local story includes the surveillance videos: https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo...a-73d7c375dcd9

So now let's see how the trial goes.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-27-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: fixed coding
Old 06-28-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
It is so good to know that Corona police have not arrested a killer from their own department.
It's been two weeks and it doesn't appear anything has come out yet. It's taking a long time to figure out how to coverup this murder.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:22 AM

I find it kind of strange that no reporter has interviewed the two survivors yet. I can't believe I'm the only person interested in their account of the incident.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I find it kind of strange that no reporter has interviewed the two survivors yet. I can't believe I'm the only person interested in their account of the incident.
If it were me, I would consult a lawyer and NOT talk to reporters. But I realize a lot of people find it impossible to resist talking to reporters. But you would think there would be some kind of followup to the incident (not that I have looked).
Old 06-28-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
If it were me, I would consult a lawyer and NOT talk to reporters. But I realize a lot of people find it impossible to resist talking to reporters. But you would think there would be some kind of followup to the incident (not that I have looked).
That's what I mean, tho: there's two survivors yet no published interview. There's an entire police department "investigating" but no word on what they've been doing. The police have a lockdown on all information about this, it seems, and yeah, I agree it's prolly because they're trying to figure out how to bury it all. I, like many (most?) Americans, have very little confidence in the police's ability to adequately investigate on of their own.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-28-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:47 PM

Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader indicted on 16 charges

Quote:
Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader was accused in November of stealing cash seized from drug cases handled by the sheriff's office to fund a gambling problem. An anonymous source made the allegation in a complaint that was forwarded to the Ohio Auditor’s Office

Old 06-28-2019, 06:01 PM

...holy fucking shit.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
That's what I mean, tho: there's two survivors yet no published interview. There's an entire police department "investigating" but no word on what they've been doing. The police have a lockdown on all information about this, it seems, and yeah, I agree it's prolly because they're trying to figure out how to bury it all. I, like many (most?) Americans, have very little confidence in the police's ability to adequately investigate on of their own.
This investigation needs to be done by the state or federal level
No way the local PD can do this fairly.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:51 PM

LA Times posted this 1 hour ago:
Quote:
The Riverside County district attorney’s office is reviewing whether to criminally charge an off-duty Los Angeles Police Department officer for fatally shooting a 32-year-old man with an intellectual disability and wounding his parents in an altercation at a Costco store in Corona.

John Hall, a spokesman for the district attorney, said prosecutors got the case from Corona police on Thursday.
ETA: Okay, an hour ten.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-28-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:36 PM

The Miami cop that shot the caretaker of the mentally disabled man holding a toy truck gets off with a misdemeanor.
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/18/73362...g-of-caregiver
Old 07-02-2019, 03:18 PM

That's friggin' ridiculous

The testimony is out of the Twilight Zone - "I thought the white guy had a gun. I thought he was taking the black guy hostage. I thought the white might harm someone"

"Yeah, but you shot the black guy."

"Like I said, I thought the white guy had a gun"

Old 07-03-2019, 10:06 AM

How's this for outrageous?

NJ judge slammed for pointing out accused teen's ‘good family' in rape case: report
Quote:
A New Jersey family court judge was reprimanded by an appeals court panel last month for refusing to try a 16-year-old boy accused of raping an intoxicated girl and sharing video of the alleged assault with friends as an adult because he was “from a good family,” and Eagle scout and attended an “excellent school,” reports said.
Quote:
But Judge James Troiano of Superior Court reportedly denied the waiver and scolded prosecutors for not explaining to the girl and her mother “the devastating effect” pressing charges would have on “G.M.C.’s life.”
I can't even fucking believe it. This judge is worse than the asshole in the Brock Turner case.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:28 AM

What with the right-wing stampede to stack the courts lately, I doubt this is the last or the worst that we'll see.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:43 AM

Cops give lame excuses too!

Louisville police sex abuse scandal: Kenneth Betts begs for mercy

Quote:
A tearful Betts asked Hale several times for leniency and "grace and mercy," saying he is embarrassed and ashamed of what he did and takes full responsibility.

"I never intended to hurt anybody, even though I know I have," Betts told the court.
"I never intended to hurt anybody". We find this.........difficult....to believe.

Quote:
Prosecutors have said in court papers that Betts met four unidentified teen victims through the Explorer program.

"Betts was persistent and graphic in his communications," Assistant U.S. Attorney Jo Lawless wrote in a sentencing memorandum. "His recurring behavior with the four minors demonstrates the significance of his sexual interest in children."

Old 07-03-2019, 05:19 PM

Video appears to show Native American man struck in hit-and-run by border patrol vehicle. Hard to add much to this; watch the 94 second video at the link.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:41 PM

https://www.fox2detroit.com/amp/news...s-other-driver

Cop totally in the wrong with this one. Video and witnesses.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
"He told him call my parents, call my mother," Martinez said of her son. "The police officer say 'you're 27 years old, you're old enough, you don't need no parents and plus you don't have no rights right now."

Maria said her son is a U.S. citizen.
What the fuck? "...and plus you don't have no rights right now"? What the fuck? Fire this cop NOW. Blacklist him from law enforcement, security or any other similar job. Fucking lawbreaking, oppressing asshole.

ETA:
Quote:
Maria is still trying to get information from the police. She said MSP has Carlos's license and his phone.

"When I asked the cop to give me his supervisor's number, so I could call and get my son's items back, he didn't want to give me no information."

MSP said Thursday morning the driver had been released to a local hospital and has not been charged.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-05-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:57 PM

Russell and Paola French are still hospitalized. No word on charges being filed yet.
Quote:
"Russell is fighting an infection and pneumonia, making his recovery slower than expected," said the French's attorney, Dale Galipo. "Paola still has some complications with her wounds, which will require additional surgeries."
Quote:
According to the attorney, the Riverside County coroner's office has completed an autopsy on Kenneth French, and his body awaits burial at an unspecified date.

District Attorney Mike Hestrin confirmed last week that the Corona Police Department's findings in the shooting had been submitted to the D.A.'s office, and a team of prosecutors and agency investigators are conducting a review.

Hestrin told City News Service that detectives submitted the case file without a specific recommendation, leaving it to the D.A.'s office to make an unbiased determination based on the facts. It was unknown when the review might be completed.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-05-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
What the fuck? "...and plus you don't have no rights right now"? What the fuck? Fire this cop NOW. Blacklist him from law enforcement, security or any other similar job. Fucking lawbreaking, oppressing asshole.

ETA:
This is the kind of bullshit that drives a wedge between cops and normal people. This guy should get a 7 figure settlement from the state when this is over. I'm sure the cop will get to return to his undercover sleeze.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:20 PM

Tempe, AZ for this one:
Quote:
Starbucks is apologizing after an employee reportedly asked six police officers to leave or change their location in one of the company’s shops in a Phoenix suburb because another customer reported feeling unsafe.

Starbucks said it has “deep respect for the Tempe Police Department” and was apologizing “for any misunderstanding or inappropriate behavior that may have taken place” during the July 4 encounter.

The Tempe Officers Association said the officers had just bought their drinks and were standing together before their shift started when a barista made the request for a customer. The association called the request offensive and disheartening.

Association President Rob Ferraro called it perplexing that someone would feel unsafe when officers are around.
"Perplexing"!

Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there! OMFG that's hilarious! He oughta read thru this thread eh.

It is kind of funny to think of cops, who are used to being treated like 'heroes' find themselves instead berated as undesirable filth, just like so many of them do to so many others, so there's that.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-06-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Tempe, AZ for this one:"Perplexing"!

Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there! OMFG that's hilarious! He oughta read thru this thread eh.

It is kind of funny to think of cops, who are used to being treated like 'heroes' find themselves instead berated as undesirable filth, just like so many of them do to so many others, so there's that.
Nice!
Old 07-07-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tempe, AZ for this one:"Perplexing"!

I just sent Ferraro, through the TOA contact page, this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Per the AP, "Association President Rob Ferraro called it perplexing that someone would feel unsafe when officers are around."
Perhaps this is why:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=736919
Most officers are the salt of the earth but there are enough who are not, your typical citizen is at best uneasy when they congregate. Until those bastards are eliminated root and branch from your ranks, not only by their chiefs -- who are half political anyway -- but the rank and file, this uneasiness will continue. Your guys in Starbucks caught some of the push back.
It will be interesting to see what reply, if any, is made.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:06 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

The problem is, the salt of the earth types feel compelled to stay silent about the bastards. Nothing will improve until they police themselves.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I just sent Ferraro, through the TOA contact page, this:

It will be interesting to see what reply, if any, is made.
'Tis three days later and no reply. Color me surprised.