Old 06-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Im not saying that. If I were saying that, I’d, you know, *say that*. Also, I , of course, have no way of knowing what these guys would or wouldn’t do.
There are so, so many legitimate reasons for outrage over police officers’ (mis) conduct, some of which are outlined in this thread.
To get worked up over this one, we have to impute motive. It doesn’t look great, sure. But it is more likely some knucklehead decided to “show respect” for the anthem, and the rest of ‘m made like lemmings. As some sort of sly show of support it is frankly to subtle.
Saluting when neo-nazis sing is too subtle for you?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Did you see the movie, Taps? During the cadets' hold out on the campus, every morning the cadets raised the national flag and the cops stood at attention and saluted just like the cadets did. I thought it would've been a perfect time to storm the campus; my father thought it was a great display of respect for the flag.

Yeah, I know it's a movie but lately reality is copying fiction more and more often, and bad fiction too, sadly.*

*I'm not saying Taps is bad fiction.

Last edited by Monty; 06-17-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Im not saying that. If I were saying that, I’d, you know, *say that*. Also, I , of course, have no way of knowing what these guys would or wouldn’t do.
There are so, so many legitimate reasons for outrage over police officers’ (mis) conduct, some of which are outlined in this thread.
To get worked up over this one, we have to impute motive. It doesn’t look great, sure. But it is more likely some knucklehead decided to “show respect” for the anthem, and the rest of ‘m made like lemmings. As some sort of sly show of support it is frankly to subtle.
I'm concerned that the police are increasingly aligned with fascists and neo-nazis. This is another example of that. The crowd contained members of a group (the Proud Boys) which are known to be violent neo-nazis. Again, why the police presence? If it's for general safety, standing at attention for the anthem kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:15 PM

Costco shooting's officer has an "evolving" story:
Quote:
The officer’s attorney, David Winslow, told the AP on Monday that the officer was holding his 1˝-year-old son when French knocked him to the ground and he briefly lost consciousness.

“It wasn’t an innocent push,” Winslow said Tuesday.

When he came to, Winslow said, “he believed his life and his son’s life was in immediate danger” and fired his handgun.
So I guess his handgun was in his hand all along, right? He didn't have to waste any time reaching for it or figuring out who was who after being knocked out: just start shootin'!

And wow! How about his kid, the one in his arms? Didn't the kid smack the ground? Or did he heroically dive under the kid as he fell, cushioning the impact?

This smells fishy, IMO. IME, when details start getting added to stories, it's a flag.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-18-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:25 PM

Forgot to add this to my last post; I blame my kitchen timer:
Quote:
LAPD Chief Michel Moore said authorities are aware of one Costco camera that captured the incident and urged any shoppers who recorded it on video to come forward.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post

Forgot to add this to my last post; I blame my kitchen timer:
The cop was not arrested for this either.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:34 AM

Last night Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams, Mayor Kate Gallego and others met with the public at a church to talk about the Barbie Incident and to promise the public that there would be changes. She was not met with enthusiastic support.
Quote:
“Real change starts with the community,” Williams said to a sometimes hostile crowd comprised mainly of blacks and Hispanics.

“Real change starts with the firing of the officers! Fire them!” one woman shouted toward the stage, where Williams, who is herself black, was seated next to Mayor Kate Gallego and other Phoenix city leaders.

Appearing frustrated at times, Williams assured those gathered that the meeting would not be the last.

“We are here to listen, we are here to make change,” she said.
The couple at the heart of it all has called for the officers to be fired and spoke last night as well:
Quote:
Ames addressed the crowd briefly, drawing applause when he said he and his family were lucky to be alive after the incident.

“No one should ever try to justify what happened that day,” he said.

“We matter,” said Harper, holding the couple’s 1-year-old.
Good for them for asserting their right to exist; it's a shame they have to do it at all, tho.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-19-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
The cop was not arrested for this either.
Talk about giving someone the benefit of doubt. This guy murdered one and seriously injured two others and he gets to walk away for now. If that Costco video doesn't show all three attacking him, he better land in prison for a long time.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Last night Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams, Mayor Kate Gallego and others met with the public at a church to talk about the Barbie Incident and to promise the public that there would be changes. She was not met with enthusiastic support.The couple at the heart of it all has called for the officers to be fired and spoke last night as well:Good for them for asserting their right to exist; it's a shame they have to do it at all, tho.
Yep - those assholes cops should be fucking fired as well. And I say "fucking" because it seems to be the only word these assholes know.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:49 AM

Start by firing the police chief.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
Guns drawn, threatening to shoot a pregnant mother holding her child, Arizona cops dislocate a 1-year-old's arm. Over a Barbie doll.

Quote from the "professional" police officer, dealing with a 4 year old shoplifter:

“I”m going to put a f*cking cap right in your f*cking head! Get your f*cking hands up!

These are words from a gangster. This sounds like some kind of wanna-be criminal scumbag speaking. This is not normal. This person needs to be fired before he kills someone by acting like a criminal.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Quote from the "professional" police officer, dealing with a 4 year old shoplifter:

“I”m going to put a f*cking cap right in your f*cking head! Get your f*cking hands up!

These are words from a gangster. This sounds like some kind of wanna-be criminal scumbag speaking. This is not normal. This person needs to be fired before he kills someone by acting like a criminal.
Send him off to Area 51 with the proper security clearance. Their perimeter guards evidently like that sort of behavior and this would get him away from the general public.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post

Guy seems to have a history of harassing people and lying about it in his reports.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 PM

South Carolina's Finest

Quote:
A South Carolina deputy was taken into custody Wednesday after an intense road rage incident on Interstate 75 south.

Johnnie Bryant, a deputy with the the Hampton County Sheriff's Office in South Carolina, fired seven shots into another vehicle on I-75 south -- north of Tara Boulevard, according to the Clayton County Sheriff's Office.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 06-21-2019, 08:17 PM

I think we're going to start to see more of this:
Quote:
Someone on Tuesday threatened to kill Cuyahoga County Jail officers if another inmate died.

The threat was called into the jail Tuesday to the warden’s office, according to the corrections officers union and a document obtained by cleveland.com.

<snip>

The caller said that if another inmate died, a sniper would shoot officers as they left the downtown Cleveland jail, according to the document.
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019...mpression=true

Like the Second Amendment fundamentalists are always telling us, we need guns to protect ourselves from government tyranny. Does that apply to the people who are actually being murdered by police, or only to people opposed to single payer health care?
Old 06-21-2019, 08:49 PM

The only government tyranny they care about is "taking my guns"
Old 06-23-2019, 06:38 PM

...this man was tasered because he "exhibited behavior consistent with preparing to fight the officer." He didn't actually fight the officer. It was just "consistent with" how people prepare to fight", whatever the fuck that means.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...this man was tasered because he "exhibited behavior consistent with preparing to fight the officer." He didn't actually fight the officer. It was just "consistent with" how people prepare to fight", whatever the fuck that means.
Pretty sure that behavior was "being black"
Old 06-23-2019, 07:37 PM

...just listening to the women recording the video imploring the man to "just get down" and submit. Begging for him to take action so that he doesn't get shot. I found that seriously distressing. That this is the way it has to be now. Cameras out. Submission. Its terrifying.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Kind of reminds me of the XKCD (can't locate it) charting the number of people carrying a camera their entire waking lives (approaching 100%) and the images of cryptids captured (flat, near zero) only the second's police caught inflicting egregious violence and it's rising in step with the first.

How much did they get away with before?
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

Autopsy: Multiple wounds killed naked teen shot by police.
Quote:
A preliminary autopsy report says an unarmed, black teenager who was naked when suburban Oklahoma City police shot him died of multiple gunshot wounds.

The report released Monday doesn’t specify how many times Edmond police shot 17-year-old Isaiah Lewis
Old Today, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Talk about giving someone the benefit of doubt. This guy murdered one and seriously injured two others and he gets to walk away for now. If that Costco video doesn't show all three attacking him, he better land in prison for a long time.
This has been really quiet. I don't like that.
Old Today, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
This has been really quiet. I don't like that.
Kenneth French's parents, Russell and Paola, are both awake and aware their son was killed. That's about all the new information I found tho.

Quote:
Corona police continue to investigate the case, and no arrests have been made.
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...624-story.html

From this bit:
Quote:
“He was shopping with his wife and 1˝-year-old at Costco. His son was in his arms, and he was feeding his son some samples when, within seconds, he was on the ground and woke up from being unconscious and he was fighting for his life,” Winslow said.
Okay; I'm very skeptical of this story. There better be video that shows him being beaten while he was unconscious or something similar because this does not make any sense.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; Today at 05:02 PM.