Old 04-25-2019, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Wait....Germany fell? Why was this not reported anywhere?
"The Haters and Losers in the Fake News Media refuse to report on my great Success in stopping our Country from falling (like Germany did!) so they can deny "Trump" a Great win. Apologize!"

Last edited by Smapti; 04-25-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:27 AM

Huh? Wha'? How fucking senile does this guy need to get? Or is that the Adderall talking?
Old 04-26-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Wait....Germany fell? Why was this not reported anywhere?
I vaguely remember seeing a video on the internet about Germany and its "Downfall", but I don't think Merkel was in it...
Old 04-26-2019, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
"The Haters and Losers in the Fake News Media refuse to report on my great Success in stopping our Country from falling (like Germany did!) so they can deny "Trump" a Great win. Apologize!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Huh? Wha'? How fucking senile does this guy need to get? Or is that the Adderall talking?
FTR, that isn't a real Trump quote. It's just me imitating his speaking/Tweeting style, which I seem to be uncannily good at. SAD!

Last edited by Smapti; 04-26-2019 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:03 AM

Tweeting like Trump isn't difficult. Just write a tweet and take away reason and accountability.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Tweeting like Trump isn't difficult. Just write a tweet and take away reason and accountability.
Throw in a couple of misspellings, and you're there. Anyone can be president!
Old 04-26-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry, if you're not going to post a link to the tweet, I have no choice but to view it as a brilliantly constructed parody.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Quote:
FTR, that isn't a real Trump quote. It's just me imitating his speaking/Tweeting style, which I seem to be uncannily good at. SAD!
Heh. Called it.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

You should open a parody Trump Twitter account, Smapti. You'll get some followers: your stuff is that good.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
You should open a parody Trump Twitter account, Smapti. You'll get some followers: your stuff is that good.
When it comes to pure comedy, it isn't as good as the original.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:34 AM

I fully expect a re-tweet to correcting it to being "the worst thing since the fall of Hitler."

With the question of whether this means that worse stuff happened before the fall of Hitler, or Hitler's fall itself being bad, left up to the audience.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
I fully expect a re-tweet to correcting it to being "the worst thing since the fall of Hitler."

With the question of whether this means that worse stuff happened before the fall of Hitler, or Hitler's fall itself being bad, left up to the audience.
"Many fine people in Germany were treated very unfairly by our military under Lazy Frankie Roosevelt - who, many people are finding out, was a Democrat."
Old 04-26-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Throw in a couple of misspellings, and you're there.
Don't forget some random capitalization's...

Smapti does have that covered though.

Last edited by MacCat; 04-26-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
"Many fine people in Germany were treated very unfairly by our military under Lazy Frankie Roosevelt - who, many people are finding out, was a Democrat."
And he was a crip in a wheelchair. *Womp-womp*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCat View Post
Don't forget some random capitalization's...
No to mention some random apostrophes.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
No to mention some random apostrophes.
Not to mention a forgotten T What law is that?

I plead accepting spell check. Three times I edited Smapti because it gave me Smart. I wasn't sure about my spelling of capitalizations and when I saw it highlighted I assumed (I know) it corrected me and I didn't check myself.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:05 PM

Gaudere's Law. What happened to her? I liked her. She was cute and snarky.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Last post was in 2015. Last activity in October, 2018.

I miss her.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Last post was in 2015. Last activity in October, 2018.

I miss her.
I met her nearly 20 years ago at one of the first SDMB corporeal meet-ups, in Chicago, along with Jophiel (still here) and UncleBeer (sadly missed).

She was great. If I hadn’t already been married, I would have eventually made her Missus Ukulele.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 04-26-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:43 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
I met her nearly 20 years ago at one of the first SDMB corporeal meet-ups, in Chicago, along with Jophiel (still here) and UncleBeer (sadly missed).

She was great. If I hadn’t already been married, I would have eventually made her Missus Ukulele.
Really plucked the right strings, did she?
Old 04-27-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Really plucked the right strings, did she?
Careful, puns make him fret.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:47 AM

In a rare Smart Republican idea of the day event, I was watching Rachel Maddow and she played this clip from Andrew Napolitano saying how the Muller report shows multiple attempts at obstruction of justice and that William "Barr has a personal view of obstruction at odds with the statute itself. "

I wonder how much blow-back his Fox News colleagues have given him.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:06 AM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Careful, puns make him fret.
You certainly have him pegged.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:41 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDaFe View Post
You certainly have him pegged.
That's a bridge too far.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
In a rare Smart Republican idea of the day event, I was watching Rachel Maddow and she played this clip from Andrew Napolitano saying how the Muller report shows multiple attempts at obstruction of justice and that William "Barr has a personal view of obstruction at odds with the statute itself. "

I wonder how much blow-back his Fox News colleagues have given him.
Here's a link to the article BY Napolitano for those who (like me) resist watching videos. I couldn't believe it was on FOX.
Quote:
Mueller laid out at least a half-dozen crimes of obstruction committed by Trump -- from asking former Deputy National Security Adviser K.T. McFarland to write an untruthful letter about the reason for Flynn's chat with Kislyak, to asking Corey Lewandowski and then-former White House Counsel Don McGahn to fire Mueller and McGahn to lie about it, to firing Comey to impede the FBI's investigations, to dangling a pardon in front of Michael Cohen to stay silent, to ordering his aides to hide and delete records.

The essence of obstruction is deception or diversion -- to prevent the government from finding the truth. To Mueller, the issue was not if Trump committed crimes of obstruction. Rather, it was if Trump could be charged successfully with those crimes.

Mueller knew that Barr would block an indictment of Trump because Barr has a personal view of obstruction at odds with the statute itself. Barr's view requires that the obstructer has done his obstructing in order to impede the investigation or prosecution of a crime that the obstructer himself has committed. Thus, in this narrow view, because Trump did not commit the crime of conspiracy with the Russians, it was legally impossible for Trump to have obstructed the FBI investigation of that crime.

The nearly universal view of law enforcement, however, is that the obstruction statute prohibits all attempted self-serving interference with government investigations or proceedings.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Here's a link to the article BY Napolitano for those who (like me) resist watching videos. I couldn't believe it was on FOX.
Napolitano has actually, pardon the pun, been pretty fair and balanced in his assessment of Trump's legal problems from what I can tell. And while I'm not a lawyer, everything I've ever understood about obstruction is in line with what he said about Barr -- the AG is simply flat out wrong in his application of the obstruction statute. It's not necessary for there to be evidence of an actual crime to have been committed for obstruction to exist. Obstruction is about the act of deliberately interfering with a lawful criminal investigation -- whether you're interfering with an investigation related to a possible criminal act that ultimately doesn't lead to prosecution doesn't matter, nor does it matter whether the president was actually successful in getting his aides to carry out his obstructionist intent. Donald Trump committed acts in which he deliberately tried to interfere with a federal investigation that was lawful; therefore, he committed obstruction.

Bob Barr is acting not as the attorney general but almost as a legal intermediary between the DoJ and the White House counsel, and I can't think of a precedent in recent history.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
For what it's worth ISWYDT, Mr. Udall.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Oh, should we lampshade the reference? I got it too, but I imagine a lot of Dopers didn't.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Napolitano has actually, pardon the pun, been pretty fair and balanced in his assessment of Trump's legal problems from what I can tell. And while I'm not a lawyer, everything I've ever understood about obstruction is in line with what he said about Barr -- the AG is simply flat out wrong in his application of the obstruction statute. It's not necessary for there to be evidence of an actual crime to have been committed for obstruction to exist. Obstruction is about the act of deliberately interfering with a lawful criminal investigation -- whether you're interfering with an investigation related to a possible criminal act that ultimately doesn't lead to prosecution doesn't matter, nor does it matter whether the president was actually successful in getting his aides to carry out his obstructionist intent. Donald Trump committed acts in which he deliberately tried to interfere with a federal investigation that was lawful; therefore, he committed obstruction.

Bob Barr is acting not as the attorney general but almost as a legal intermediary between the DoJ and the White House counsel, and I can't think of a precedent in recent history.

The saga continues:

Quote:
Trump could’ve ignored the criticisms, but he instead responded the way he always does: by publishing some unfortunate tweets.

The president wrote over the weekend that Napolitano’s argument was “very dumb,” and was actually the result of corrupt motives. “Ever since Andrew came to my office to ask that I appoint him to the U.S. Supreme Court, and I said NO, he has been very hostile!” Trump wrote. “Also asked for pardon for his friend. A good ‘pal’ of low ratings Shepard Smith.”

I don’t know why Trump included the word “pal” in quotes, though the president has repeatedly made clear that he doesn’t know how quotation marks work.

Legal professor Orin Kerr noted soon after, “In Trump’s world, everyone who turns on him at one point asked him for a favor and was turned down, making Trump the top dog in the end.” Kerr published a list of examples, and it wasn’t brief.

Napolitano himself responded this morning, denying Trump’s claims, and taking the dispute one step further.

In terms of the “pardon” situation, Napolitano said Trump once asked for his opinion about the conviction of a “mutual friend” of theirs. Napolitano said he thought that the conviction was just, to which, Trump offered “a very strong term” to express his disagreement.

“He said, ‘You know this person as well as I do. Call this person up and tell this person he’s going to be on the list of pardons that I will seriously consider.’ That was the extent of that conversation.”

Well, that’s sort of interesting, isn’t it? Did Trump really urge the Fox News legal analyst to dangle a pardon to a mutual friend? Why would he do that?
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...essively#break

See also:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/napolita...reat-a-friend/

Last edited by CalMeacham; 04-29-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

'Pal' presumably is a way of implying that Napolitano is less than heterosexual, & therefore one of them. (Shep, of course, is openly gay.)
Old 04-29-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Napolitano himself responded this morning, denying Trump’s claims, and taking the dispute one step further.

In terms of the “pardon” situation, Napolitano said Trump once asked for his opinion about the conviction of a “mutual friend” of theirs. Napolitano said he thought that the conviction was just, to which, Trump offered “a very strong term” to express his disagreement.
An obvious lie. Trump has no friends.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 04-30-2019, 02:40 AM
Charter Member

Remember Jacob Wohl, the professional troll who tried to falsely accuse Robert Mueller of rape and embarrassed himself in the process?

He apparently learned nothing, as he's tried it again with Pete Buttigieg, just as sloppily as before, and this time even the alleged "victim" says he wants no part of this.

Quote:
“It's important for everyone to know that I was not sexually assaulted and would never falsely accuse anyone,” he wrote. “To keep it brief for now, I was approached by a political figure to come to DC to discuss political situations from the standpoint of a gay Republican. When I arrived they discussed Peter Buttigieg and started talking about how they would be working a campaign against him.”

“I went to bed and woke up to a fake Twitter @RealHunterKelly and an article that I in no way endorsed or wrote. I have since left and am working on a formal statement to give to everyone including the Buttigieg family.”

After publication, Kelly told The Advocate that Wohl and Burkman flew him to Washington, D.C. on Sunday evening to participate in the scheme. But Kelly said he didn’t realize what they had planned, and that he didn’t consent to their publication of the Buttigieg allegations under his name.
How this idiot isn't in prison yet is beyond me.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:06 AM

Who the fuck is funding Wohl and Burkman? Are they paying for all this stupidity themselves?
Old 04-30-2019, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Who the fuck is funding Wohl and Burkman? Are they paying for all this stupidity themselves?
I think Wohl's dad is rich. Plus, you know the same folks who provided O'Keefe with funding are probably helping out, either because they believe this shit themselves or because they're hoping that, eventually, something will stick and the target will dissolve like ACORN did.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:45 PM

Wohl claimed to the pretend victim that he was working for the White House.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:59 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick calls Beto O'Rourke 'light in the loafers' on Laura Ingraham show.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...light-n1000936
Old 05-02-2019, 08:09 AM

'light in the loafers' is a gay euphemism? That's a new one to me.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:11 AM

Mail fraud https://twitter.com/JustSumGuy176/st...02427325689856
Old 05-02-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
"Light in the loafers' is a gay euphemism? That's a new one to me.

Its actually rather old, from the time when homosexual men were presumed to be effeminate, like "limp-wristed".

See https://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_...sages/379.html

"...Of a male, from the mincing manner of walking adopted by some: ..."

Last edited by elucidator; 05-02-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
'light in the loafers' is a gay euphemism? That's a new one to me.
What did you think the saying meant? Or, had you never heard the saying?
Old 05-02-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
I might have heard it. Never really thought about it I guess.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
For years I thought it meant an ineffectual, lightweight sort of person. Several years ago there was a piece in the New Yorker that made a reference to the true meaning, and light dawned.

It’s possible that Dan Patrick shares my former ignorance. I doubt he reads the New Yorker.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
So the GOP appear to be sending out "Congressional Census" forms and demanding that they be returned with a $15 "processing fee". And why not - Ted Cruz got away with it.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
So the GOP appear to be sending out "Congressional Census" forms and demanding that they be returned with a $15 "processing fee". And why not - Ted Cruz got away with it.
Moreover, the president can't commit crimes while he's in office.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
This looks almost exactly like the Republican Survey form I wrote on this Board about a couple of weeks ago, right down to the "official document" notice on the envelope and the $15 processing fee.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Wow. This needs to be looked into.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
That's some SERIOUS shit. Part of my job involves providing data to the Census Bureau. You do NOT mess with the census. Anything faked or data released or used for other means could get me jail time.

Of course this shit is fake, but still, you do NOT mess with the Census Bureau. I've been looking for census contacts, but am on vacation. I have let Denver 9News know.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I've gotten at least two of those, festooned with bullshit "Official Document, Do Not Discard" notations. I'm a little unclear as to how the RNC got the notion that I'm some sort of steadfast supporter. I'm perfectly clear on the degree of contempt they apparently have for their own constituents.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Yeah, I've gotten at least two of those, festooned with bullshit "Official Document, Do Not Discard" notations. I'm a little unclear as to how the RNC got the notion that I'm some sort of steadfast supporter. I'm perfectly clear on the degree of contempt they apparently have for their own constituents.
Have you gone to the cops? That's mail fraud.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
They don't care if you're a supporter or not.

They only care if they can con you out of your money using deception.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Also reported here.