Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I don’t think it’s particularly gross either. I was discussing this with my daughter last night, who does think it’s gross, and I asked her if she was disgusted to go into a barber shop where the floor is covered with hair clippings. She said no, but she thought it was more akin to going into a place where there are piles of dead skin peelings.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:00 AM

It drives me nuts. I'm a teacher, and for some reason my students think it is okay to clip their nails in class. This semester, I'm making it grounds for getting kicked out of the classroom.

It's not that it's gross, it's that sound. The horrible pace of it. *click*..........*click*.........*click." I can hear it from the other side of the room and I know it is the sound of flesh being separated from bodies. It's worse that the sound of nails on chalkboards.

And, well, do it at home! Nobody ever has any reason to clip their nails more than one or two times a week. Why would you possibly, ever, in any circumstances, choose a time in public? Do you people really walk around with nail clippers at the ready, just in case the terrible urge hits? Are you really so compulsive that you can't hold off a bit?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
It has happened. The woman who had the previous shift left her toenails strewn around the workspace. Didn't even have the manners to clean them up. I collected them, put them in a small container, with a note: "I almost threw these away, but then I thought maybe you wanted to keep them."

She never did it again.
This reminds me of the Soprano's episode with Tony in Italy visiting the mob and he notices the mob queen makes her maid pick up her clipped nails off the ground so that they don't fall into the enemies hands. SHe had them burned so no one could put a curse on her.

I was taking a class once and a woman who sat near me decided to tear off her acrylic nails. SHe did it with her fingers not a clipper, and the noise and chipped mess of a pile she created was hideous. She also told us that she had a gastric bypass and if she leaves suddenly its because she has bad gas.

I say if the occasion really requires it clip if you must, but be discreet, and dispose of the clippings. Don't save the clippings like a coworker did in his desk. He retired and I had to clean out his impressive collection of nail snips. That was gross!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post
It's not that it's gross, it's that sound. The horrible pace of it. *click*..........*click*.........*click." I can hear it from the other side of the room and I know it is the sound of flesh being separated from bodies.
Fingernails = flesh to you? It's not mini-amputations.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:31 PM

It's a body part. It belongs ON your body, until such time as it can be removed discreetly and disposed of properly.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:56 PM

I love my father, but he does this in the living room. It's disgusting.

I've only done it in public if one of my nails breaks, or gets really jagged or sharp -- and I almost ALWAYS leave the room -- if I can't go to the bathroom, I'll go to a backroom and use a napkin. (My clippers ARE handy though for cutting a loose thread or something like that)

I have, however, painted my nails in public. (On my lunch break or whatever).
Old 09-03-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I donít think itís particularly gross either. I was discussing this with my daughter last night, who does think itís gross, and I asked her if she was disgusted to go into a barber shop where the floor is covered with hair clippings. She said no, but she thought it was more akin to going into a place where there are piles of dead skin peelings.
Yes, but the OP seems to be about corporate America, not a barber shop. You'd be silly to walk into a barber shop and not to expect to see piles of hair on the floor. The whole environment of any salon or barber shop usually involves at least some small talk, the sound of scissors, electric razors and often the sound of nail clipping because many salons offer manicures. But an office isn't a barber shop or salon, so it seems reasonable to expect not to see piles of hair clippings or nail clippings or leftovers from someone's electric razor sitting around.

Plus, the hair and nail clippings at a barber shop or salon are usually very quickly disposed of. Just leaving a bunch of nail chips sitting around on your desk is pretty disgusting, especially if you're in a situation where you regularly have people stop by to meet with you, even moreso if they're unfortunate enough to have to use a part of your desk. I sure wouldn't want to have to brush someone's fingernails out of the way so I could take notes at a meeting.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaG View Post
It's a body part. It belongs ON your body, until such time as it can be removed discreetly and disposed of properly.
You constantly shed skin as you walk, not to mention hair. I suggest a full body condom.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:28 PM

I keep nail clippers in my purse to deal with hang nails or broken nails. I have clipped both at my desk, over the waste basket, but only a broken nail, never all 10.

I certainly don't find it as offensive as others apparently do.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:47 PM

I have at work, but only in the bathroom or outside. Anywhere else just seems a little off to me.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:05 PM

Ahh. This is such a pet hate of mine! Clipping nails is something you do in the bathroom at home. Iíve lost count of the times I've seen people do it on the train, and then just leave all the clippings on the seat for the next person to sit on. It is revolting!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
...all the clippings on the seat for the next person to sit on. It is revolting!
What exactly is revolting about it? I shake hands with people every day who probably just finished wiping themselves and didn't wash their hands. Now that's revolting. But little micro-slivers of inanimate keratin? Not so much.

When I moved into my current office, the first thing I did was clean out the desk of the previous occupant. The guy was saving his fingernail clippings in one of those little compartment tray dealies where you keep paper clips and thumb tacks. I think the guy was a nut for saving them, but not especially tactless for clipping them off in the office. I scooped them out with my bare hands (without even wearing a hazmat suit) and carrier them off to the trash can. I dusted my hands off and went back to the office.

Why is it OK to touch the fingernails of strangers as you shake their hands but it's disgusting to touch them once the are detached from the body?

Seems like this is one of those things that's icky for no good reason.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:56 AM

I'm very jealous of all of you who have private offices with doors. Naturally you can do whatever you want behind those doors without offending anybody.

I love the idea that the twenty seconds you spend clipping a nail is time you're stealing from your employer. As if most people in this thread aren't posting from work.

MHO is there's nothing wrong with clipping nails at work, relatively discreetly.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 AM

0_o

Its a few clipping noises. No big deal. Hell, one of my coworkers gives himself his insulin shots right in the break room in front of everyone else eating. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty O'Furniture View Post
What exactly is revolting about it? I shake hands with people every day who probably just finished wiping themselves and didn't wash their hands. Now that's revolting. But little micro-slivers of inanimate keratin? Not so much.

Why is it OK to touch the fingernails of strangers as you shake their hands but it's disgusting to touch them once the are detached from the body?

Seems like this is one of those things that's icky for no good reason.
Right! Too many people have got too many qualms about little things.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:44 PM

Once I was attending a taping of some TV show in NYC and there was the typical post-9/11 bag/pocket check. I happened to have a couple of nail clippers on me (because I had misplaced the first one in my pocket); the small variety that costs a dollar, max. From their reaction, the pocket checkers seemed to have felt they had foiled a major terrorist attack.

As you may have guessed, I don't see the grossness, though I agree one should catch the clippings with something.

Last edited by AppallingGael; 09-07-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty O'Furniture View Post
I shake hands with people every day who probably just finished wiping themselves and didn't wash their hands.
You need to start hanging with a better group of people.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I do it once in a while to repair a broken nail so it only consists of one clip, possibly two and I'm not leaving for the bathroom to protect the sensibilities of co-workers "grossed out" by it. I think coughing and sneezing are worse but don't expect people to leave their desks to do it.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Coughing and sneezing are generally sudden onset, involuntary actions. And guess what... if I feel a good coughing or sneezing fit coming on, I do get myself to the restroom.

Hey, if you don't think it's gross, that's fine. If you think it's silly to think it's gross, that's fine too. But since you know that lots of people DO think it's gross, and do it anyway, well... that's awfully rude, donchya think?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:17 PM

There are lots of people who think my wearing sandals is gross. I'm not going to kowtow to their prissy sensibilities.
But just to be nice, I won't take out my nail clippers and make sounds as if I'm clipping my nails just to drive them insane.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:19 PM

I trimmed my nails at work today and thought of you all fondly.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Ok, what if I brushed my hair, and then plucked the hairs out of the brush and let them waft to the floor, desk, chair? Would that be gross?

That's the best analogy I can come up with that's equivalent to clipping nails. I was brought up not to brush my hair at the dinner table, in the lunchroom, standing in the street, etc. I guess I equate clipping nails and their leavings with something like that. It's just not something proper people do.

And the snick......snick........snick....... it's really annoying.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:29 PM

I draw the line at toe nails
Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
Ok, what if I brushed my hair, and then plucked the hairs out of the brush and let them waft to the floor, desk, chair? Would that be gross?
No.

Now, let us separate polite and gross. Neither of these are gross. In the case of fingernails, one quick "snick" and a little filing on a broken nail is perfectly OK. More than that is impolite.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:26 AM

Okay, so the coworker in the next cube over has taken part in his self-manicuring on a nearly daily basis at this point. How do I politely tell him to knock it off?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:25 AM

I cannot understand why this is an issue and I have never done it myself. You should not tell them to knock it off. It is your problem and not theirs.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi78cab View Post
I keep nail clippers in my purse to deal with hang nails or broken nails. I have clipped both at my desk, over the waste basket, but only a broken nail, never all 10.

I certainly don't find it as offensive as others apparently do.
This is precisely what I do. I rank it as being up there with keeping feminine hygiene products and a toothbrush in my desk drawer in case of emergency.

Doing the full ten-finger clip at work is weird and a sign that you have too much time on your hands, but I don't see it as inherently gross.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd View Post
My assistant has just moved into the space adjacent to me, which was until very recently used as a lunch room. I guess some people have had a little difficulty comprehending that this is now someone else's office, and not a common space, because I am told that there is one woman who has made a habit of periodically ducking in there to cut her fingernails.

You know, just waltz right in the door, sit right down beside her, who is working away, and cut her fingernails into the trash. The offender, she says, explains that she feels too "self conscious" to cut her nails at her desk. (Offender is in the cubicle farm, which must not offer an appropriate level of privacy.)
Reading this, if I were your assistant (granted, not that your assistant is asking for my opinion), but:

I would move my trash to a very inconvenient location. Say - under my desk and between my legs and the wall.

The offender would then have to risk feeling me up to get to MY trash or clip directly onto the floor, like the barbarian they are.

Either way - I win!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:41 AM

Clipping nails at work is perfectly fine and acceptable--get used to it. I don't do it at work, though.

I do floss in my cube, especially if I've just eaten something and can feel things caught in my teeth--but I turn away so it's not in full view. If I had a cold and I needed to, I may blow my nose in my cube--I'm not going to get up to go to the restroom every time I feel a dribble.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetech View Post
for whatever reason, the sound of nails being clipped drives me up the wall. It's like nails on a chalkboard -- I guess nails are meant to be seen and not heard in general.
Me too. I use cuticle scissors to trim my fingernails, and I wouldn't be bothered if people did that at work, since they make essentially no noise. But a sequence of a few dozen of those sharp little noises of the nail clippers just drives me up the wall.

Fortunately, when it happens, it's usually over in a few minutes, but it always seems like a loooong few minutes.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:10 PM

Wow, I'd forgotten about this thread, and now it's haunting my brain. Every time I see it, my brain plays for me that horrible soundtrack of someone clipping their nails right next to me.
*clink*

*clink*

Aaaughh!
Old 12-14-2009, 12:15 PM

It's fine to trim a ripped nail. It's bad to do your nail trimming at work as your nail pieces will be all over as will be your nil powder if you use a file.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Foxtrot View Post
Okay, so the coworker in the next cube over has taken part in his self-manicuring on a nearly daily basis at this point. How do I politely tell him to knock it off?
Pop up over his cube wall and ask him to do his personal grooming at home.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Pop up over his cube wall and ask him to do his personal grooming at home.
Guess I should mention, the guy outranks me on the totem pole. It's not that easy.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 AM

I do clip my nails at work, at my desk where nobody can see me. I didn't realize that some folks have a thing about the sound too and I will try to keep it down. But ... I spend a huge amount of my life at my desk and sometimes I'm just going to have to do "personal" stuff. It's not like anyone can see me without making an effort.

In exchange I would like it if everybody else would stop filing their nails in public. I throw up a little in my mouth every time I see this. Some of you don't like little nail clippings on the ground but you don't mind actual fingernail dust in the air? Unbelievable! If you are close to such a person (say on a bus) you can actually smell the faint, burnt hair smell of fingernail filing.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:59 PM

It's gross and uncouth. I suspect that the people who clip all of their nails at the desk are the same sort of people who dig around in their ears with their car keys in public. If you* want to keep doing it, I guess that's your prerogative, but realize that a sizable percentage of the people around you are going to think you're rude and slovenly. If you're so pressed for time that the only minute you can find in the day to clip your nails is in your cubicle, though, you've probably got bigger issues.

*"You" being the generic you, and not any person in particular.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I don't see anything wrong with a simple rule - personal grooming is done privately. I guess the question comes in, how private is your own cubicle, or the bathroom at work? If people can walk in on you doing it or see/hear/smell you doing personal grooming, that isn't private enough. The exception would be the bathroom at work, where people can reasonably expect to see other workers brushing or flossing their teeth, or fixing up makeup and hair. There are still limits on what you should see other workers doing in the bathroom at work, too, though. Any grooming in there should be superficial - i.e. no pube-trimming, etc. Sorry, shiftless, but working long hours isn't an excuse for grooming at your desk.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:30 PM

OCD Clipping

I agree that a clip now and then isn't a problem. But my coworker clips incessantly. We have joked that he must be taking crazy vitamins to need to clip that much. By 8:30 this morning (we come in at 8) he had already done several bouts of clipping (I would say at least 4 clips each time, but usually more) and it is CONSTANT! He will do at least 5 times per day, with many clips each time.

We have taken his clippers twice and disposed of them, and he keeps bringing more in.

It drives the entire department crazy.

So maybe a clip here and there is okay, but I'm pretty sure that constant clipping would drive you all crazy.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:07 PM

I've heard that when you die, your hair & nails continue to grow for a few days & the skin also contracts, which is why zombie's fingers look that way. Maybe they should get some clippers for this thread.

I used to share an office with a guy who clipped; every once in a while one would launch over the 5' high cube wall & land on my side. I'd make him come over & pick it up.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 PM

Zombienails! I find it interesting how many folks object to the noise of clipping. I rather like it myself. I think my dad used to cut his nails before bed when I was a little kid, and I could hear it from my parents' bedroom. So it reminds me of a simpler time, of being home and safe... that kind of thing.

(FTR, I do clip at work, probably more often than at home, but I also have a private office and close the door. Ultimately, I just clip my nails wherever and whenever I both a) notice that they need trimming and b) happen to have clippers handy. Since long nails can interfere with typing, I keep clippers at work.)
Old 07-12-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
I've heard that when you die, your hair & nails continue to grow for a few days & the skin also contracts, which is why zombie's fingers look that way.
They don't. It just looks like they do because of the skin contracting.