Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
… that's a very stupid thing to say. …
Right: TokyoBayer was channeling you, so of course it was a stupid thing to say.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
You are just another racist dipshit. A worthless piece of shit.
Many, many years ago I thought Shodan was alright. Then his true colors slowly came out.

Maybe we need iiandyii to link where that slime admits to calling blacks “niggers”.

It doesn’t matter if a racist fuck can occasionally come up with a clever line. He’s still a racist fuck.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quoting the voices in your head again is not a good sign. Have you had your meds re-evaluated lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan
Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-24-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Maybe we need iiandyii to link where that slime admits to calling blacks “niggers”.
You forgot a pair of i's, but I'm still happy to assist: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...6#post20337966
Old 05-24-2019, 05:50 PM

Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
You forgot a pair of i's, but I'm still happy to assist: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...6#post20337966
Sorry about the name!

That’s it.

What is it about these racist guys who get hard ons when blacks use the term?

Last edited by TokyoBayer; 05-24-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Quoting the voices in your head again is not a good sign. Have you had your meds re-evaluated lately?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan
Regards,
Shodan
Dude, you are quoting yourself here.

Are you sure that you are alright? Do you need to talk o someone about the stress that you are under in doing your part in supporting a fascist regime?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Welcome back!

How was prison? Did you make any friends there?

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-28-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Welcome back!

How was prison? Did you make any friends there?

Regards,
Shodan
Of course, you being the fascist supporter that you are, would hope that those you disagree with would end up in prison (or dead), but sadly for your fragile insecurities, your fantasies did not come true.

OTOH, yes, I did make some friends while I was gone, thank you for asking.

How many of your friends discovered what a shitty person you are and want nothing more to do with you, or do you not have any left?
Old 05-28-2019, 11:36 PM

nm

Last edited by eschereal; 05-28-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:43 AM

Anyone want to defend this cop?

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/05/okl...g-to-shoot-me/

The video is towards the bottom.

The guy filming is much more calm than the cop is, even though the cop is pointing a gun in his face the whole time. The cop tells him to shut the car off and also tells him not to move those hands -- the guy filming rightly just keeps his hands in the air to avoid getting shot. Then, he gets arrested for not complying with a lawful order -- which one? Don't move those hands? Turn the car off? How could he do both? The cop tells the driver to get out of the car, but it's still in drive -- what's he supposed to do?

At one point, the cop yells "Gun!" as though the gun were putting him in danger. However, it was in the back seat, lawful, and registered to the driver. And, you can open carry in Arkansas without a permit anyway, so why is the cop surprised to see a gun?

It really looked like he was itching to shoot that driver, but admittedly, that's my own editorial slant.

People have said it before here, but it seems like civilians are expected to treat cops like they are wild animals -- move slowly, take all responsibility for de-escalating. That's just what this driver did, of course. Smart man! That may be why he's still alive.

So, who is going to defend the behavior of this cop?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
So, who is going to defend the behavior of this cop?
Black guy with a cell phone, so naturally the cop was scared for his life.

Standard.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Going to look for that story elsewhere -- without some form of ad blocking, that page opens a ton of pop-ups and grinds my browser to a halt. Couldn't even CTRL-ALT-DEL to get to Task Manager.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
Going to look for that story elsewhere -- without some form of ad blocking, that page opens a ton of pop-ups and grinds my browser to a halt. Couldn't even CTRL-ALT-DEL to get to Task Manager.
google "truitt arkansas" to get plenty of hits.

No major papers, but lots of local publications and news outlets.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
Ouch! Sorry about that! I always have ad blocking on. I found out about it from another thread that linked to a reddit page, but there was a lot more editorializing on that page.

Try this page: https://www.thv11.com/article/news/m...3-e4ec909bdbd2

I just tried it without ad blocking and it seemed OK.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:25 PM

YT video

The officer holds the man's arm against the back window while telling him to get out of the car (cars are no longer made with frameless-window doors).

Last edited by eschereal; 05-29-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:46 PM

Dated May 29, 2019

Family gets $6.75 million after Milwaukee County jailers shut off water to a prisoner and he died of dehydration after being deprived of water for seven days. Three jail officials got found guilty, though two of them got slaps on the wrist.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/29/us/mi...uit/index.html
Old 05-30-2019, 06:37 PM

SCotUS has issued a ruling in Nieves v Bartlett which is kind of murky and inconclusive, but the suggestion I have been seeing is that Probable Cause supersedes the First Amendment.

In other words, if the police become annoyed with you, they can gin up some excuse to haul you in (shut you up). Several justices, including Roberts, authored opinions to the effect that the ruling had very narrow effect, but at least one argues the P-C always defeats 1A.

This could, in theory, lend support to local laws against recording video of Controversial Encounters.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:01 AM

Minneapolis' former-Officer Noor, found guilty recently of both 3rd degree murder and 2nd degree manslaughter for the shooting death of Australian Justine Damond, will ask for no prison time.
Quote:
If that’s not granted, they’re seeking less prison time than state sentencing guidelines recommend.

Mohamed Noor’s lawyers filed a motion Thursday asking for a “dispositional departure” when he is sentenced June 7 for third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the fatal shooting of Justine Ruszczyk Damond who had called 911 to report a possible crime.

The Star Tribune reports Noor’s attorneys say he would be amenable to probation, citing his cooperation, attitude in court and remorse.
I don't give a fuck what he would be amenable to: I'd bet that Miss Damond would be amenable to being alive, but Mr. Noor didn't really give a fuck about that, so...
Old 05-31-2019, 08:30 AM

Not sure where to put this one:

Fake DEA agents armed with handguns try to enter Texas home

What should the homeowner have done? Immediately let them in because they said they were DEA? Don't the resident "Cops can do no wrong, walk a mile in their shoes" posters on this board advocate for just following LE orders? The guy should have let them in, because they yelled "DEA!" and had on DEA clothing, right?
Old 05-31-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Not sure where to put this one:

Fake DEA agents armed with handguns try to enter Texas home

What should the homeowner have done? Immediately let them in because they said they were DEA? Don't the resident "Cops can do no wrong, walk a mile in their shoes" posters on this board advocate for just following LE orders? The guy should have let them in, because they yelled "DEA!" and had on DEA clothing, right?
He should be charged with resisting arrest.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Black student picking up trash around his dorm room has multiple guns pulled on him because cops refused to believe he lived there.

Entire video is sickening to watch. Worst part for me is, internally, I was just shouting at him to comply because standing up for justice just isn't worth it when the consequences are so grave. I'm glad in this particular instance, nobody was harmed but I can't imagine the psychological toll shit like this has when its a regular occurrence in your life.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Minneapolis' former-Officer Noor, found guilty recently of both 3rd degree murder and 2nd degree manslaughter for the shooting death of Australian Justine Damond, will ask for no prison time.I don't give a fuck what he would be amenable to: I'd bet that Miss Damond would be amenable to being alive, but Mr. Noor didn't really give a fuck about that, so...
Oh come on now. He was never late for court.

Surely that counts for something.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese View Post
Black student picking up trash around his dorm room has multiple guns pulled on him because cops refused to believe he lived there.

Entire video is sickening to watch. Worst part for me is, internally, I was just shouting at him to comply because standing up for justice just isn't worth it when the consequences are so grave. I'm glad in this particular instance, nobody was harmed but I can't imagine the psychological toll shit like this has when its a regular occurrence in your life.
I have to admit that watching that video made me nervous. He was in the right, but it sucks to be right and to be dead. In most alternate timelines, we are discussing the video that led to him being shot.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:21 PM

"Keep your hands where I can see them or I'll shoot! Now empty out your pockets!"

Well, somewhat contradictory messages, anyway:
Quote:
Cell phone video shows an officer pulling a gun on Truitt and ordering to turn off the car. But when Truitt moves his hands, the officer shouts to the other officers, “He’s got a gun.”

“Where?” Truitt shouts back.

“Shut the car off!” the officer demands.

“My hands are in the air,” Truitt explains. “I ain’t moving my hands. He trying to shoot me.”

Eventually, the officer holsters his sidearm and forcibly removes Truitt from the vehicle.

“He was like, ‘That’s a failure to comply,’ but if I would have complied, I would have got killed,” Truitt pointed out to WREQ.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
"Keep your hands where I can see them or I'll shoot! Now empty out your pockets!"

Well, somewhat contradictory messages, anyway:
Quote:
Cell phone video shows an officer pulling a gun on Truitt and ordering to turn off the car. But when Truitt moves his hands, the officer shouts to the other officers, “He’s got a gun.”

“Where?” Truitt shouts back.

“Shut the car off!” the officer demands.

“My hands are in the air,” Truitt explains. “I ain’t moving my hands. He trying to shoot me.”

Eventually, the officer holsters his sidearm and forcibly removes Truitt from the vehicle.

“He was like, ‘That’s a failure to comply,’ but if I would have complied, I would have got killed,” Truitt pointed out to WREQ.
I'm a bit confused here. The officer isn't supposed to unholster his weapon unless he feels that his, or the general public, is at imminent danger. The suspect did not do anything to allay any danger (he was not further removed from the weapon in the back seat, the vehicle was still in drive), but the officer decided to holster his weapon. It seems to me. either the officer brandished his weapon where there was no danger, or he wrongly decided to attempt to remove the operator of a motor vehicle that was, in fact, in danger to the public (with no operator). If the danger really existed that required him to brandish his weapon, why did he not simply remain calm (with his weapon trained on the suspect) until backup arrived?

It seems to me, that the police need to be trained to only resort to using weapons when danger actually exists, not just because they are scared.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:52 PM

Cops being scared does generally result in a dangerous situation, one could argue.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:42 PM

Speaking of terrified policemen, not sure how to feel about,
When every second counted, school resource officer Scot Peterson, who was the closest person to the gunman during the Parkland school shooting and likely the only one who could have intervened, took cover instead of action and for that he has been arrested on 11 criminal charges.
Technically, the police do not have a duty to protect people. That “protect & serve” on the side of the car does not say what/who that supposedly applies to.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Speaking of terrified policemen, not sure how to feel about,
When every second counted, school resource officer Scot Peterson, who was the closest person to the gunman during the Parkland school shooting and likely the only one who could have intervened, took cover instead of action and for that he has been arrested on 11 criminal charges.
Technically, the police do not have a duty to protect people. That “protect & serve” on the side of the car does not say what/who that supposedly applies to.
I'm glad he got fired (obviously not cut out for the potentially life-threatening part of the job), but these criminal charges seem like revenge-seeking bullshit. Unless there is a law somewhere that specifically requires police officers to risk their lives, I don't see how these charges can be laid. In theory, any adult who didn't attempt to tackle/stop the shooter would be equally liable, IMHO.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:41 PM

This is just mob justice.

Yes, he absolutely should have been fired, but for fucks sake, he's being treated like he's a cold blooded killer. If we're going to start locking people up, let's start with gun lobbyists and republicans who have cut mental health care funding and opposed reasonable gun control laws.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
This is just mob justice.

Yes, he absolutely should have been fired, but for fucks sake, he's being treated like he's a cold blooded killer. If we're going to start locking people up, let's start with gun lobbyists and republicans who have cut mental health care funding and opposed reasonable gun control laws.
There isn't a "rolleyes" smilie big enough for this post.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:34 PM

Check this out: Racist, violent posts by police: Departments investigating
Quote:
Police departments in at least five states are investigating, and in some cases condemning, their officers’ social media feeds after the weekend publication of a database that appears to catalog thousands of bigoted or violent posts by active-duty and former cops.

The posts were uncovered by a team of researchers who spent two years looking at the personal Facebook accounts of police officers from Arizona to Florida. They found officers bashing immigrants and Muslims, promoting racist stereotypes, identifying with right-wing militia groups and, especially, glorifying police brutality. All the posts were public.

“It’s a good day for a choke hold,” wrote an officer in Phoenix. A sergeant in Philadelphia commented that a young suspect should be “taken out back and put down like the rabid animal he is.” Another sergeant posted a meme that said, “Death to Islam.” In St. Louis, a police official shared a meme asserting that “if the Confederate flag is racist, then so is Black History Month.”

“Obviously, some of the posts are very disturbing,” said Emily Baker-White, a lawyer who launched the Plain View Project in 2017.
Quote:
Funded by Injustice Watch, a not-for-profit journalism organization, Baker-White and her team pored through the Facebook accounts of more than 2,800 current officers and nearly 700 former officers.

They wound up flagging posts by 556 of the current officers — about one in 5 of those studied — and 299 former officers. The database includes more than 5,000 posts, as well as comments on the posts. The results were jointly published on Saturday by Injustice Watch and Buzzed.
Good job Miss Baker-White (and those who support(ed) her efforts)!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-05-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
There isn't a "rolleyes" smilie big enough for this post.
asahi can be annoying, yes. You sound like a rank and festering turd.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
asahi can be annoying, yes. You sound like a rank and festering turd.
asahi or Orwell? Somebody's a turd here, and I wanna know who it is!

It's me, isn't it? Shit.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
It's me, isn't it? Shit.
Hmm. I seem to recall hearing things about you (such as my memory is). Do mention of you pop up in the OTRU thread now and again?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Hmm. I seem to recall hearing things about you (such as my memory is). Do mention of you pop up in the OTRU thread now and again?
Ha! Time and again.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Minneapolis' former-Officer Noor, found guilty recently of both 3rd degree murder and 2nd degree manslaughter for the shooting death of Australian Justine Damond, will ask for no prison time.I don't give a fuck what he would be amenable to: I'd bet that Miss Damond would be amenable to being alive, but Mr. Noor didn't really give a fuck about that, so...
Mr. Noor's attorneys presented the court with a petition for a different sentence than the 12.5 years called for by state guidelines:
Quote:
Attorneys for a Minneapolis police officer convicted of murder in the fatal shooting of an unarmed woman who had called 911 are asking a judge not to send him to prison, proposing instead that he report to jail for a week each year on the woman’s birthday and the anniversary of her death.
Quote:
Defense attorneys Thomas Plunkett and Peter Wold proposed in a memo to Judge Kathryn Quaintance that she creatively sentence Noor to turn himself in to a county detention facility for a week every year on the anniversary of Damond’s death and another week starting on her birthday. The proposed sentence would last the duration of Noor’s probation, which the attorneys didn’t specify in their request, and also would include an annual period of community service.

“This sentence honors the memory of Ms. Rusczcyk and allows Mr. Noor to continue to serve the city,” they wrote. “Just as importantly, it mandates that Mr. Noor will continue to consider his action and the great loss they caused.”

I sure hope the judge doesn't buy into this.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-06-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added link
Old 06-06-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I sure hope the judge doesn't buy into this.
“This sentence honors the memory of Ms. Rusczcyk and allows Mr. Noor to continue to serve the city,” they wrote. “Just as importantly, it mandates that Mr. Noor will continue to consider his action and the great loss they caused.”

I think 12.5 years in prison would satisfy all of those points. He would continue to serve the city by not murdering or manslaughtering anyone, and he'd have plenty of time to contemplate his actions. That's how Ms. Rusczcyk's memory is best honored.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:48 PM

Wow. I'd propose a sentence where I turn myself in to the local liquor store every week on Justine Damond's birthday and toast a fine glass to her name.

That way I'd be serving 1) Ms. Rusczcyk's memory, 2) the city, and 3) myself wit a big ol' bottle of wine for getting off scott-free for murder/manslaughter! DAMN!?!

Last edited by orcenio; 06-06-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:09 PM

Hopefully she remembers what happened when the judge creatively sentenced rapist Brock Turner to six months because 'prison time could have a "severe" impact on Turner's life.'
Old 06-07-2019, 01:41 AM

It is still a little troubling, though, that the gang of officers in Baltimore who attended to Freddy Gray's last hours all got to walk. None of them had a funny Muslim-sounding name.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:29 AM

Seriously, what the fuck is going on in Baltimore? They should fire them all and start again.

Baltimore police sergeant to be charged with misconduct, assault and false imprisonment
Quote:
Harrison said Newberg told the department he was in the middle of running a warrant check when a second person “verbally challenged and became combative and aggressive.”

However, Harrison said body camera footage shows otherwise as he said it shows the second man talking to Newberg and then “walking calmly away after offering his opinion that Sgt. Newberg should have not placed the suspect on a wet sidewalk.”

Newberg chased after the man and grabbed him, Harrison said, and a second officer tackled the man and placed him in handcuffs.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 06-07-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
It seems the judge wasn't feeling too creative today.

Ex-Minneapolis officer Mohamed Noor sentenced to 12 1/2 years in prison

Quote:
"He does not take personal responsibility …" she said. "He has not acknowledged that he could have handled the situation any other way."
Queue the inevitable round of appeals.

Last edited by Projammer; 06-07-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:52 AM

Nope, no racsim in the Louisville police force. But......

African Americans were disproportionately stopped and three times as likely to be searched as white drivers. Though African Americans make up about 20% of Louisville’s driving-age population, they accounted for 33% of the stops and 57% of the 8,942 searches.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post

I think 12.5 years in prison would satisfy all of those points. He would continue to serve the city by not murdering or manslaughtering anyone, and he'd have plenty of time to contemplate his actions. That's how Ms. Rusczcyk's memory is best honored.
I don't disagree that Officer Noor should have served time for manslaughter, but I think this case seems like another example of racial disparities in the criminal justice system. If it were a white cop who had mistakenly shot a black woman, I seriously doubt there would be a 12-year prison sentence.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:40 PM

There's another, equally important statistic in that story:
Quote:
But the data shows that police found contraband in 72% of the searches of whites versus only 41% for African Americans.
So, when whites are searched, they are almost twice as likely as blacks to have contraband, but hey, we'll keep searching more black people than white people anyway.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree that Officer Noor should have served time for manslaughter, but I think this case seems like another example of racial disparities in the criminal justice system. If it were a white cop who had mistakenly shot a black woman, I seriously doubt there would be a 12-year prison sentence.
Wish I could disagree, but I can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
There's another, equally important statistic in that story:

So, when whites are searched, they are almost twice as likely as blacks to have contraband, but hey, we'll keep searching more black people than white people anyway.
That tends to happen when the cops only search white drivers that they have actual probable cause for while just searching all the black drivers.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Well, to be fair, they don't search white people unless they actually have a reason.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Well, to be fair, they don't search white people unless they actually have a reason.
Right, that was sort of my point.

Given the statistics in the article, regarding the percentage of blacks and whites stopped and searched, and the percentage of searches that result in contraband being found, there are only really two possible conclusions to be drawn:
1. White people are almost twice as likely as black people to engage in illegal activity.

2. Police in Louisville stop black people just for the hell of it.
I concede that #1 is possible, but #2 seems far more likely. Of course, the cops argue that they're just doing their job:
Quote:
Speaking before the Metro Council Public Safety Committee on Wednesday, Police Chief Steve Conrad acknowledged that the department has disproportionately stopped black drivers. But he noted that African Americans are disproportionately represented in all aspects of the criminal justice system, including in arrests and incarceration.

He said that the department has focused on six high-crime neighborhoods where predominately “people of color live” and that to make those neighborhoods safer, “people who live there are going to be stopped."
That first paragraph is hilarious. He uses the dramatic over-representation of blacks in the criminal justice system not as an example of injustice and discrimination, but as an excuse for his own department's racist policing practices. And the second paragraph smacks of "We had to destroy the village in order to save it."
Old 06-07-2019, 02:58 PM

It is partly because of the feedback loop. “I searched his car because he acted nervous” – when it has become increasingly obvious that being non-white around police officers is very hazardous to one's health, of course non-whites are going to be nervous. And the police expect them to act like a lawn jockey: if they are relaxed and confident, there must be something wrong with them.

But, you know, the police are not racist. No, no, no, not at all.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
{...} If it were a white cop who had mistakenly shot a black woman, {...}
Well, to be fair, she (the hypothetical black woman) brandished a gun-like object and she tested positive for many drugs.

CMC fnord!