Old 04-17-2018, 03:11 PM

21 Jump Street was a silly comedy until it suddenly became an ultra-violent action cop film. The turning point came when
SPOILER:
one of the bikers fell under a semi and was quite graphically crushed to death.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
How can a Never-Ending Story have a sequel?
How can a never-ending story not have a sequel?
Old 04-17-2018, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

I really enjoyed that Jack Nicholson movie about the world of publishing, with what felt like some well written insider dialogue, great cast and awesome shots of the Bradbury Building.

Too bad they mixed in a bunch of tiresome werewolf stuff.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:06 PM

Four Rooms is essentially four mini movies.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefton View Post
Does Mulholland Dr. count? The movie has two stories, but only one of them is real...
It does for me. I haven't seen all the films mentioned upthread, but I'd say Mulholland Drive is the best example of two films in one. Many plots will take a story into new surroundings (e.g.: starts with action, ends up in courtroom) and the vast majority of them will show a transformation of the story itself and/or of the characters. Mulholland Drive is the only film that I'm aware of right now that juxtaposes the two very different stories that it contains. Actually, metaphorically speaking, "superimposes" might be a better word, because it's not just that the beginning and end are noticeably different, but rather that, if you want to understand the story, you have to use the clues in one part to draw conclusions about the weirdness in the other part. There's no linear development to be considered in reverse by your mind's eye (walk back through the story), but rather, you have to simultaneously consider two opposing realities, not unlike the ordeal of Naomi Watts' character.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
How can a never-ending story not have a sequel?
Because it's like asking "What comes after infinity?"
Old 04-18-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Not only that, it had a sequel. How can a Never-Ending Story have a sequel? Isn't that like "To Infinity ... and Beyond!" ?
It's its own sequel. At the end you hit play. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Didn't say it was going to be a different sequel.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:00 PM

Predator. The first part is about a CIA mission, the second part is vs. the Predator.

But really, and the mention of Return of the Jedi reinforced this, it's actually a very very common trope in stories (not just movies, but novels too) to start with some sort of situation and explore that situation a little before transitioning into the real story. Often the setup story is about one job of a team before they start gearing up for the main job. Think of Inception or Mission Impossible (all of them, I assume; I haven't seen most). A *lot* of the movies mentioned here fall into that pattern, including the one I mentioned, which only triggered in my memory because the guys hosting it on cable (back when I had cable, wow, that was a long time ago) explicitly said it was two distinct movies as part of their banter. As noted, I somewhat disagree with that; the first act of the movie is necessary to meaningfully set up the rest of the movie. You need some reason for Arnold to be in the jungle without any sort of support; the bulk of the movie simply could not exist without the "filler" that sets it up.

Last edited by glowacks; 04-18-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

The old John Wayne movie The High and The Mighty is pretty much two separate stories - the flight crew's and the passengers' - with Wayne being the crossover character. As a matter of fact, I don't think Robert Stack's character even appeared in the same scene with any passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Hard to believe that no one's mentioned Godfather II yet.
Seconded. Godfather II is such a perfect double movie that they could cut it in two, stick the first movie in the middle, call the whole thing The Godfather Saga and still get a coherent story out of it.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowacks View Post

But really, and the mention of Return of the Jedi reinforced this, it's actually a very very common trope in stories (not just movies, but novels too) [...] You need some reason for Arnold to be in the jungle without any sort of support; the bulk of the movie simply could not exist without the "filler" that sets it up.
Yes, it's true of novels too. Which is why I typically start reading a novel somewhere in the middle. To skip that unnecessary "other" novel they've bulked out the pages with.

From my point of view, a lot of movies used to end with a long meaningless fight/dance/chase. Pretty much unrelated to the story. In modern blockbuster movies, they've "fixed" that: pretty much the whole move is a long meaningless fight scene, dropping most of the "filler that sets it up"
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
It's its own sequel. At the end you hit play. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Didn't say it was going to be a different sequel.
Well, that's pretty much the problem, isn't it?

If the title is at all accurate, you'll never reach that end. You might as well take the "play" button off. You never get a chance to repeat.
Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM

The Black Stallion. The first half is about a boy and a horse alone on an island, following a shipwreck. The second half becomes a more conventional story about preparing for and running The Big Race. The whole movie is delightful but the scenes on the island are amazing.

I can think of a lot of movies (e.g., The French Lieutenant's Woman) that include parallel stories but that is a different sort of thing, I suppose.
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM

“Swiss Family Robinson” 1960 film has a family shipwrecked on a tropical island. The first half has them exploring the island and building a home. The second half has them defending the home against a pirate attack.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM

"Icarus", which won this year's Oscar for Best Documentary, is definitely two movies rolled into one. More specifically, it appears to have started out in one not particularly interesting direction, and then veers off in another, which keeps getting curiouser and curiouser all the time.

I'll finish watching it later this evening.
Old Today, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerez View Post
It does for me. I haven't seen all the films mentioned upthread, but I'd say Mulholland Drive is the best example of two films in one. Many plots will take a story into new surroundings (e.g.: starts with action, ends up in courtroom) and the vast majority of them will show a transformation of the story itself and/or of the characters. Mulholland Drive is the only film that I'm aware of right now that juxtaposes the two very different stories that it contains. Actually, metaphorically speaking, "superimposes" might be a better word, because it's not just that the beginning and end are noticeably different, but rather that, if you want to understand the story, you have to use the clues in one part to draw conclusions about the weirdness in the other part. There's no linear development to be considered in reverse by your mind's eye (walk back through the story), but rather, you have to simultaneously consider two opposing realities, not unlike the ordeal of Naomi Watts' character.
Another Lynch movie, Lost Highway, is also two films superimposed into one like that, although the superimposition and the weirdness are handled a little differently.
Old Today, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Not only that, it had a sequel. How can a Never-Ending Story have a sequel? Isn't that like "To Infinity ... and Beyond!" ?
Sort of like "Final Destination 2". I always thought that was one of the funniest movie titles I ever saw!
Old Today, 12:11 PM

Dances With Wolves. Though the first movie is VERY short. About ten minutes, it's a fantastic gritty portrayal of the Civil War, that I would have loved to see expanded.
Old Today, 12:13 PM

Adaptation

I'd go with Adaptation - it's an adaptation of "The Orchid Thief" and a completely different movie about writer's block, brotherly competitiveness, etc.