Old 09-22-2010, 12:53 PM

MLS, why do you hate America?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:58 PM

I like Halloween not so much for the holiday itself but because of it's association with autumn, my favorite time of the year.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:18 PM

It's the day after my birthday. Most of my birthdays as a kid were costume parties.
I loved Halloween as a kid, especially trick or treating after dark, all over town.
I liked it as a young adult. Dressing up was fun.

I grew to dread it when we still lived in Colorado, because it was getting cold then, sometimes it even snowed. I remember trying to carve half-frozen pumpkins.
And as CrazyCatLady mentioned, the doorbell rings every 3 minutes and the dogs go crazy. At my work, the preschoolers all dress up, yet some of them are afraid of costumes. It's kind of a stressful day.

But because I am now in a different climate, I'm not so gloomy about the time of year. We still get trick or treaters but it's mostly over by 8pm, not as many teenager-come-latelys in lame fake costumes.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
MLS, why do you hate America?
I love America, I just hate autumn! Especially October!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Une merveilleuse cerise
Charter Member

Oh, MLS, you beat me to it. I don't care for Halloween. You "decorate" your house to look like crap, you celebrate death, it's all about candy and sweets, which Americans eat too much of. I liked it fine as a kid, but if it all went away tomorrow, I wouldn't give two shits.

ETA: But I LOVE October. October is my birthmonth ... October 10 is my birthday, as a matter of fact. Mark your calendars now! 10-10-10 is Ellen Day on the Dope!

Last edited by Ellen Cherry; 09-22-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: toot my own horn
Old 09-22-2010, 03:36 PM

Mommy, make them stop!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 PM

I love halloween, all the more now that we have a kid to love it with. You get all the fun of making and wearing costumes, plus enjoying seeing other people's costumes, plus old horror movies, plus candy. What's not to like?

I don't agree that trick or treating is the same as the old 'don't take candy from strangers" prohibition. In the case of the prohibition, it is presumably strangers who are approaching the children to give candy, allegedly for bad reasons. They are self-selected. In the case of trick-or-treating, it is the children who are approaching them to get candy - and they are not really "strangers", but neighbours.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Fall is my favorite season, I adore Halloween, and would dress up in a heartbeat if I had anywhere to go. My husband would rather be strip searched on a freeway than put on a costume, or have a costume party. Sigh. I'm forced to add a bit of weirdness to my son's birthday parties (10-18) just to get my fix every now and then.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 PM
BANNED

I like the horror aspect of it, and the fact that it occurs during autumn (my favorite season... though it feels more like goddamn August here right now more than it does early fall), but my wife and I haven't handed out candy on Beggar's Night for several years now, and I don't particularly enjoy dressing up in a costume*.

* Unless my costume takes the piss out of (read: offends) 98% of the people who're going to see it, and in that case I'd be fired.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS View Post
As someone else says, 364 days a year kids are (or should be) told not to beg for stuff and not to take treats from strangers.
I probably wouldn't encourage my kids to wrap electric lights around trees or put paint on hard-boiled eggs, but I'll make an exception for one holiday per year.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 PM

The only problem now is that we can't pass out candy -- our dog just goes APESHIT when someone comes to the door, and absolutely freaks. Rather than restraining her to the kitchen all night, my mother just turned the light off, and gave candy to our neighbor to hand out. He specifically told everyone it was from us.

(And count me as another who HATES the teenagers who go around without costumes asking for candy. If you want candy, fine. WEAR A FUCKING COSTUME, DAMMIT!!!)
Old 09-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Did anyone ever have to dig their treat out of a tub of cold spaghetti with fake eyes as meatballs? People used to come up with some weird ways to give out their candy!

Last edited by blondebear; 09-22-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS View Post
I hate it. Hate. Hate. Hate.

It's a "holiday" about death, for cripes' sake! As someone else says, 364 days a year kids are (or should be) told not to beg for stuff and not to take treats from strangers.

And October is an AWFUL month. Everything is dying. Summer is 100% over. It's getting cold. And dark. Yuk.
Weird. I've always loved fall for this reason. I love the weather--it's cooling down but not too cold. It's getting darker. Everything feels spookier.

The weird thing is I always associate fall with something new starting. Maybe it's because I think of the school year? And it just makes me want to cuddle up with a blanket and watch scary or vaguely creepy movies and reminisce about being a kid again.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 AM

Love Halloween. Costumes, putting weird shit in the yard, scary movies! Taking the kid trick or treating, carving jack-o-lanterns and making pumpkin soup from the scrapings and roasting the seeds, seeing tiny kids in cute costumes and older ones in scary costumes....just love everything about it.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:54 AM

I could just about agree word for word with the OP's thoughts regarding Halloween. One thing that I would add though is that I have a special disdain for asshats and vandals that use the holiday as an excuse for destruction and mayhem. A few years ago we had a bunch of high school kids riding around in the back of a truck and throwing pumpkins at mailboxes and parked cars. In their minds, this was just pure harmless fun and the only people who might suggest otherwise were people that wanted to buy a new mailbox or windshield the next day. I want to make it clear, I'm not blaming the holiday. I'm blaming the pricks who use the holiday as an excuse.

I can appreciate the difference between childlike and juvenile behavior and I have no tolerance for the latter.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
Halloween is the best holiday by far and it can be treated as a season around here rather than just a day or two and that is a great thing. What's not to like? The only reason I ever want to get in any position of power is just so I can abolish Thanksgiving and expand Halloween into that whole calendar period.
If I vote for you will you make decorating, selling, advertising or otherwise even mentioning Christmas before December 1st a hanging offense? There's already Christmas shit for sale.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Of course I like Halloween!

Quick! Someone invite me to a party!
You're invited!

and since I spend thousands of dollars on my costume and my halloween party and I love fall and its almost bigger than Christmas to me, I guess the answer is yes, I do,

Last edited by BMalion; 09-23-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 AM

I liked it well enough as a kid, then it was a non-event for me until friends of ours started throwing Halloween parties several years ago. Now that we have a party to go to and have moved to a neighborhood where people actually trick or treat, I love it! I don't wear a costume to work or anything, but I love coming up with costumes for parties and decorating the house for trick or treaters.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:15 AM

I will never understand people who think of Trick Or Treating as begging. Anyone who hands out candy that night is participating. They're not being solicited, they're offering. It's more like a country-wide party, thrown by the grownups for little kids, and if you don't want to come to the party, don't turn on your porch light. Easy.

As someone who didn't go to all that many parties growning up, I love the idea of a giant event where everyone in the country is invited, and all you need is a mask and a bag. In fact, when the "who works holidays" sheet came around, I scanned it, said, "don't care, don't care...where is Halloween, you didn't put halloween on here! Give me that off, and the day after, and I'll work Thanksgiving and Christmas, whatever!"

Last edited by Small Hen; 09-23-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:20 AM

I like the slutty costumes women wear. And the wacky tights.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 PM

I'm in my 20's. Women my age think slutty is "cute" on that day. I like Halloween.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTaurusSHO94 View Post
I'm in my 20's. Women my age think slutty is "cute" on that day. I like Halloween.
Lady, don't get me started. Okay, once someone says that, they've already started, so I'll keep this short. I, too, am a woman in my 20s, I like dressing up, but I don't want to look like a total whore. The only costumes I can ever find that aren't slutty are either plus-sized or are unbearably ugly. Um, it also doesn't help that I procrastinate every single year.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 PM

I love Halloween. October is wonderful here, it's finally cooling down and I've survived another summer by then, and I love to see the little kids all dressed up. The only thing I don't like about Halloween is that even tiny little girls dress up slutty and that's disconcerting.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Once you decide what your costume is, Halloween is awesome.

Before you do, it's a tremendous burden.

So, for me right now, it's a burden. I need to come up with a clever costume ASAP.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTaurusSHO94 View Post
Lady, don't get me started. Okay, once someone says that, they've already started, so I'll keep this short. I, too, am a woman in my 20s, I like dressing up, but I don't want to look like a total whore. The only costumes I can ever find that aren't slutty are either plus-sized or are unbearably ugly. Um, it also doesn't help that I procrastinate every single year.
Lady? All dude here, that's why I like looking at the women. I do roll my eyes when they say it's cute though, when any other day they would probably be arrested under the assumption that they're a hooker.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:00 PM

I knew that! Well I roll my eyes when I see costumes that have no business being sexy, trying to be sexy. I swear to gods, I saw a sexy bumble bee costume. What is so sexy about a bumble bee?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM

Halloween is my absolutely favorite time of the year, and that goes for fall too. I love the crisp air, falling leaves, and somber atmosphere up north. Add that I get to be weird and make my house horrifying and I'm happy as a pig in shit. It's pretty much halloween 24/7 around the AcidHouse, but it's only in October that it is allowed outdoors to play.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

The OP is exactly why I think Halloween is the best holiday, because it's the only one that gets better as you get older, and you can do exactly as much or as little as you want. Thanksgiving and Christmas come with too much baggage, and you have to visit relatives and buy stuff and clean up, and if you don't participate, you're a horrible person. Not so with Halloween! You can turn your entire house into Dr. Morbid's Chainsaw Bloodstravaganza, or you can skip Halloween entirely and go to bed early, or anything in between; you can do no wrong.

Horror, awesome. Candy, awesome. Parties, awesome. Costumes, awesome. Pumpkin carving, awesome. Best holiday ever!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I knew that! Well I roll my eyes when I see costumes that have no business being sexy, trying to be sexy. I swear to gods, I saw a sexy bumble bee costume. What is so sexy about a bumble bee?

What's not sexy? The males live only to fuck.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM

And what's not to love about someone dressed in a bee costume? They're saying, "Bee mine!" and there's a picture of a bee.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:10 PM

I LOVE It

My apartment is perpetually decorated for Halloween. There are bats and toy monsters everywhere.

I LOOOOOVVVVVEEEE wearing costumes. I've made my own costumes since I was twelve or so. I love the candy. I love the autumn. I love Halloween more than Hannukah or my birthday.

For 364 nights a year we are expected to be plain and ordinary. But for one night a year we are given a chance to be anything we can dream of.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

In this old thread about Halloween Music a poster made this comment that has always stuck with me. I think this sums up my mood about Autumn in general and Halloween in particular.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...+october+chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquisitiveIdiot
I miss Halloween. Not the holiday itself, but the feeling of Halloween. I miss pumpkins, and bonfires. Crisp, clear nights when the moon is full and the bare trees rise up like the silouetted remains of some incredible monster. Feeling the world slowly brown and die all around you, as the heat of summer is replaced by the chill of winter. Reading October Country on a park bench at sunset. The feeling that you get near midnight, when you can almost swear this world and the supernatural one are mere inches apart, just for this one special time of the year.

Last edited by Icerigger; 09-25-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerigger View Post
In this old thread about Halloween Music a poster made this comment that has always stuck with me. I think this sums up my mood about Autumn in general and Halloween in particular.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...+october+chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquisitiveIdiot
I miss Halloween. Not the holiday itself, but the feeling of Halloween. I miss pumpkins, and bonfires. Crisp, clear nights when the moon is full and the bare trees rise up like the silouetted remains of some incredible monster. Feeling the world slowly brown and die all around you, as the heat of summer is replaced by the chill of winter. Reading October Country on a park bench at sunset. The feeling that you get near midnight, when you can almost swear this world and the supernatural one are mere inches apart, just for this one special time of the year.
Yes, this! This is just exquisite, we need MORE of that kind of feeling, dammit! A full moon if you're lucky, a cool night with the wind rattling the leaves through the street. The doorbell stops ringing at 9, and you have some spiked cider and a donut, watch something Halloweeny on TV, It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. It's not just a kids n' candy thing, it's a 'feeling' that has been going on in the world for probably longer than Christmas.

Costumes trying to be sexy that aren't sexy? I saw a costume called "brown paper packages tied up with strings" (from the song. 'My Favorite Things'.) Worn by a dude in Greenwich Village.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:11 PM

Loved it as a kid- lots of candy and the day off school the next day (Catholic school, Holy Day of Obligation). Dislike it as an adult.