Old 12-29-2019, 01:40 PM

What is your All Time Favorite Cartoon?

I recently saw a very uplifting documentary celebrating the life of Mel Blanc. It's called "Mel Blanc: The Man of a Thousand Voices" and it was rated 8.0 on IMDB which is extremely high.

For those of you who may not know, Mel Blanc was the voice of all the Merry Melody cartoons. That includes Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Sylvester the Cat, Woody Woodpecker, Tweetie Bird, Speedy Gonzales and the list seems endless. He received thousands of letters from kids all over the world and he always answered every single one by hand. One lady once wrote him and told him she had a little girl relative who just loved Bugs Bunny (or one of the other characters he voiced - I don't remember which one) and she asked if he would telephone this child on her birthday and wish her a happy birthday using the voice of that character. Once people learned that he did that, he started getting those kinds of requests and TTBOMK, he also honored all of them as well. This documentary film is full of examples of how Mel Blanc gave back to the community and to his fans which is why I call it "uplifting".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1324021

In honor of Mel Blanc, I'd like to ask, "What is your favorite cartoon?" It doesn't have to be one that was voiced by Mel Blanc. I'm not asking you to name a cartoon character such as "Woody Woodpecker". I'm not asking for a series of cartoons like "The Flintstones" or "Merry Melodies" (from Warner Bros). I'm asking if you can describe one single cartoon that was shown in a movie theatre before a movie played. You likely won't know the title. Please feel free to just describe the plot if you like. My favorite is one called, "One Froggy Evening" and Mel Blanc does not appear in it at all. IMO, it is the most enjoyable cartoon I've ever seen - by far. I've watched it about 100 times and it still cracks me up every time I see it. You may remember the story. Here it is:

Some workman is helping to demolish an old building and he comes across a time capsule box that was placed into the foundation when the building was dedicated - many years ago. He opens the box and an amazing frog jumps out and starts singing Broadway show tunes. The workman has visions of his becoming wealthy by charging people to come and see this amazing frog who sings in a beautiful baritone voice. He takes the frog to a talent agent. But when he opens the box, the frog doesn't sing. In fact, the frog never sings when anyone else besides the workman is present. But when the workman and the frog are alone, the frog sings up a storm. The workman obviously becomes very distressed. He spends all the money he has in the world trying to find a way to make his amazing frog pay off. He rent out halls and offers free admission to the public to come see this astounding talented frog. But the frog never sings if anyone else is present. Eventually, he winds up impoverished. The cartoon ends when the workman puts the box into a new time capsule in another building so that someone in the distant future will have the same experience.

I always found this cartoon to be side splitting - except for one thing. What a horrible message to give to children. If you have some terrible misfortune, you should pass it along to a total stranger so they will suffer the same catastrophe? What kind of a message is that for little kids?

In any event, I loved this cartoon and I never saw another one that comes close to being as funny. Do you have a favorite cartoon you'd like to share?
Old 12-29-2019, 02:08 PM

I'll go with the Fleischer Bros rotoscoping Cab Calloway as a walrus singing MINNIE THE MOOCHER.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:19 PM

“One Froggy Evening” is my favorite, too, but in the interest of variety, I’ll offer up my number two (also by Chuck Jones and Maurice Nobel - but for MGM) “The Dot and the Line” https://youtu.be/hgqUya0kGPA
Old 12-29-2019, 02:46 PM

I love One Froggy Evening but I don't think the message is if you get into trouble, pass it along to someone else. The protagonist in the cartoon sees the new building cornerstone as a way to back out of his commitment to the frog. Since he found the singing frog in a building cornerstone, it was okay to leave it in another building cornerstone, and run away like it never happened.

The future poor sap is just another get rich quick schemer. If anything, the cartoon's message is human nature never changes.

My favorite cartoon? Too, too many to choose from. Of the Warner Brothers vastly superior oeuvre, Birds Anonymous comes to mind. Sylvester tries to kick his bird addiction.
It was Mel Blanc's favorite turn as Sylvester, and he won an Oscar for it.

Of the non-Warner's, I like Canada's Richard Condie's stuff. The Big Snit is a comedy about nuclear war, and La Salla is a computer generated gem with the immortal line, "Once I had everything. Now, there's a cow in my nose."
And it makes perfect sense.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

I remember one with a dragon sleeping in a cave on a mountaintop. He wakes up and looks outside. He sees an airliner flying below. He pounces. Clutching the plane in his claws, he rides it like a surfboard, having a grand old time, while utterly terrifying the passengers.

I could not find that one on Youtube. But I did find Canfilm, which uses canned foods as a metaphor for totalitarian dictatorship.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post

If anything, the cartoon's message is human nature never changes.
Thanks very much for that alternative way of viewing the message. I can now view the makers of this cartoon in a new and respectable light.

Many thanks!
Old 12-29-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
The Big Snit is a comedy about nuclear war
The Big Snit is brilliant.

'Why are you always shaking your eyes?!'
Old 12-29-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

No question Jonny Quest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2xEhjMSJrI&t=277s
Old 12-29-2019, 07:49 PM

Robin Hood Daffy

"Yoicks! And awa-aaay!!!"
SMASH!!
SMASH!!
SMASH
Old 12-29-2019, 03:01 PM

My favorite cartoon is definitely "What's Opera, Doc?". Everything about it is absolute perfection. "One Froggy Evening" is first runner-up.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
My favorite cartoon is definitely "What's Opera, Doc?". Everything about it is absolute perfection. "One Froggy Evening" is first runner-up.
"Long-Haired Hare" and "The Rabbit of Seville" would have to be very close also-rans.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:36 PM

Warner Brothers' Duck Amuck is my favorite.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniracer View Post
Warner Brothers' Duck Amuck is my favorite.
Me too, with 'What's Opera, Doc?" a very close second.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:50 PM

Feed the Kitty.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:34 PM

Warner Bros Birth of a Notion

"Give me your wishbone!"
Old 01-02-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
"Long-Haired Hare" and "The Rabbit of Seville" would have to be very close also-rans.
For me, these are second place and grand prize winner, respectively. I can't remember in the morning where I put my car keys, but I still know all the lyrics to "Rabbit of Seville."

Last edited by wanderer2575; 01-02-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer2575 View Post
For me, these are second place and grand prize winner, respectively. I can't remember in the morning where I put my car keys, but I still know all the lyrics to "Rabbit of Seville."
There......You're nice and cleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaan,.....although your face..looks..like..it might.. have gone..troo, a machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Pepper Mill, my wife, admits that her knowledge of classical music comes from Bugs Bunny.

For me, The Blue Danube invariably brings up memories of spaceships gliding between the earth and the moon, from Kubrick's 2001. But when my wife hears the music, her reaction is to go Quack quack, quack quack! (from Bob Clampett's A Corny Concerto, his parody of Fantasia), which kinda spoils the mood.*

*It's telling that neither of us visualize elegant Viennese waltzers gliding around a ballroom.
Our city orchestra did a program of classical music that came from WB cartoons, with a big display boards playing the cartoons at the same time.

Last edited by Baker; 01-03-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I'll go with this. Check out this YouTube video of some high school performers doing it live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_8a...&start_radio=1
Old 12-29-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Fleischer Bros. “Popeye the Sailor Meets Sinbad the Sailor” is probably my favorite, with “Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba’s Forty Thieves” a close second.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:39 PM

My favorite series would be Rocky & Bullwinkle.

But for a favorite individual cartoon, that's Betty Boop as Snow White with Cab Calloway singing St. James Infirmary from 1933.

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKOSJ5AAwfc
Old 12-29-2019, 03:51 PM

Metalocalypse: The Doomstar Requiem is without a doubt, The Best Thing Ever Put On Television. It just so happens to be animated.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

For some reason, I've always liked Bugs and Thugs, a cartoon in which Bugs Bunny is accidentally taken to the hideout of a gang of bank robbers. It featured the classic line, "Would I throw a lighted match in the oven if my pal was in here?"
Old 12-29-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
For some reason, I've always liked Bugs and Thugs, a cartoon in which Bugs Bunny is accidentally taken to the hideout of a gang of bank robbers. It featured the classic line, "Would I throw a lighted match in the oven if my pal was in here?"
MMMM...You might, rabbit, you might.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I once almost answered a County Commissioner in a public hearing with the phrase, "You might, Rabbit. You might." in that Irish cops voice.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:59 PM

Mel Blanc was great, but he wasn't Woody's voice. The Pecker was voiced by Grace Stafford, who was Walter Lantz's wife. Overall, I like Woody the best. "Bunny Hugged" is my favorite overall, though.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:31 PM

Rabbit Fire kicks off with the classic Duck-Season-Rabbit-Season-Duck-Season schtick, and quickly runs through Bugs impersonating Daffy, and Daffy impersonating Bugs, and Bugs dressing up as a girl, and then circles back around to bickering over whether itís Duck Season or Rabbit Season; and then that ending floored me as a kid.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Rabbit Fire kicks off with the classic Duck-Season-Rabbit-Season-Duck-Season schtick, and quickly runs through Bugs impersonating Daffy, and Daffy impersonating Bugs, and Bugs dressing up as a girl, and then circles back around to bickering over whether itís Duck Season or Rabbit Season; and then that ending floored me as a kid.
Hank Azaria pointed out something interesting about that cartoon - namely, the challenge of voicing one of the characters impersonating the other, and vice versa.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:44 AM

As One Froggy Evening seems to be taking all the honors, my choice for 2nd place is "Hillbilly Hare".

Also, some of the puns in "Peabody's Improbable History", and "Fractured Fairy Tales" had me rolling in the aisles.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:02 AM

Am I the only person who'd choose a Tom and Jerry episode? I'll come back with a specific example once I've had a chance to do some "research".
Old 12-29-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
Mel Blanc was great, but he wasn't Woody's voice. The Pecker was voiced by Grace Stafford, who was Walter Lantz's wife. Overall, I like Woody the best. "Bunny Hugged" is my favorite overall, though.
Really? Wow! I learn something new every day.

But in that biography of Mel Blanc, he talks about Woody Woodpecker and I could have sworn that he explains how he created the voice for the character. I'll have to take another look.

Thank you.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post

But in that biography of Mel Blanc, he talks about Woody Woodpecker and I could have sworn that he explains how he created the voice for the character. I'll have to take another look.

Thank you.
Thinking back, Grace Stafford wasn't the original Woody voice; she did voice him most of his run, though. Could be that we're both right!
Old 12-29-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
Thinking back, Grace Stafford wasn't the original Woody voice; she did voice him most of his run, though. Could be that we're both right!
Sure enough, Mel was the original Pecker voice. Grace took over in the early forties.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Thank you.
In this VERY early Loony Tunes cartoon starring Porky Pig and a proto-Bugs Bunny, the toon ends with the bunny laughing a very Woody-like laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zaX1Xd3SP4
Old 12-29-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
In this VERY early Loony Tunes cartoon starring Porky Pig and a proto-Bugs Bunny, the toon ends with the bunny laughing a very Woody-like laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zaX1Xd3SP4
I remember that one well.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
...I'm asking if you can describe one single cartoon that was shown in a movie theatre before a movie played....

I cannot name one single cartoon, I can only name three:

The incomparable Book Revue (1946)

https://archive.org/details/BookRevue

Uncle Tom's CabaŮa (1947) and Little Ol' Bosko in Baghdad (1938) are available on Dailymotion and YT, respectively. My fondness for the escalation built into their stories, certain characterizations and overall energy transcends my disgust at their grotesquely racist aspects.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:32 PM

You "One Froggy " fans may want to look at this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYqgLPgIjc
Old 12-29-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janis_and_c0 View Post
You "One Froggy " fans may want to look at this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYqgLPgIjc
Wow! I can't thank you enough for this find. I had never seen it before and I learned so much about the people who created this cartoon.

I started this thread because I was hoping to find one or two more great cartoons. It was not my intention to tell people what they could post and what they could not post. I was just trying to describe what I was interested in seeing. But I thank you all very much.

I can't believe so many of you posted so many great treasures in just a few hours.

Very much appreciated.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:34 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Bully For Bugs

"Of course you realize, this means war."
Old 12-29-2019, 05:56 PM

GMTA -- Great Minds Think Alike!

I quickly ransacked the remains of my mind for some cartoons I really liked, only to find ...
That others in this thread have already mentioned them all.

Rocky and Bullwinkle -- especially the Upsidaisium story and the Goof Gas story.
Betty Boop with Cab Calloway (St. James Infirmary and Minnie The Moocher. The "Old Man of the Mountain" not so much.)
Duck Amuck.
Popeye Meets Sinbad.

Pink Phink was cute, but overall the Pink Panther series got rather monotonous.

I tried and tried to find Rabbit of Seville on YouTube without success. I think Duck Amuck is also not there. Has Warner Brothers scrubbed their stuff off of YouTube?
Old 12-29-2019, 06:15 PM

I found both Duck Amuck and Rabbit of Seville many years ago on some DVD that had a large number of famous cartoons. But I have no idea how you can find it today.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

"Duck Amuck." If you want to see it, it's at dailymotion.com
Old 12-30-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
"Duck Amuck." If you want to see it, it's at dailymotion.com
Kewl! Rabbit of Seville is there too!
Old 12-29-2019, 08:23 PM

"Kitten Kornered"
Old 12-29-2019, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

The Baby Herman cartoon that kicked off Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Too many to choose from. I, of course, love One Froggy Evening,Duck Amuck, and [I]What's Opera, Doc[/B]. But I think my favorite might be one of the "Hunters Trilogy" starring Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Elmer Fudd. The three cartoons are

Rabbit Fire

Rabbit Seasoning

and

Duck, Rabbit, Duck!. They were written by the great Michael Maltese, directed by Chuck Jones, and voiced by Mel Blanc.

These three are, in my opinion, the pinnacle of Warner Brothers cartoon creativity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_Fire
Old 01-02-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Too many to choose from. I, of course, love One Froggy Evening,Duck Amuck, and [I]What's Opera, Doc[/B]. But I think my favorite might be one of the "Hunters Trilogy" starring Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Elmer Fudd. The three cartoons are

Rabbit Fire

Rabbit Seasoning

and

Duck, Rabbit, Duck!. They were written by the great Michael Maltese, directed by Chuck Jones, and voiced by Mel Blanc.

These three are, in my opinion, the pinnacle of Warner Brothers cartoon creativity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_Fire
Yes. Yes. Absolutely.

I can never remember which is which, but the one that concludes with a hysterical Daffy screaming "I'm a fiddler crab! Shoot me! It's fiddler crab season!" while doing a passable impression of a fiddler crab...cartoon perfection.

I love Daffy.

Bugs: this is the tale of Jack and the Beanstalk, right?
Giant Elmer: right....
Bugs: Well....he's Jack.
Daffy (hysterical): IT'S A LIE! MY NAME IS .... ALOYSIUS! HE'S JACK!

Aloysius? Fiddler crab? Where do they come up with this stuff?? Genius.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:44 PM

So many! Astro Boy (the original).... Loony Tunes, definitely! The 'Hollywood' characters cartoon in the 40's with Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre, Greta Garbo caricatures.....I loved Bugs Bunny, etc. but I also loved the forgotten obscure beautiful color cartoons from the 30's-40's. No well known characters, but the one I remember most was 'Welcome Spring'... Oh, and the old Disney cartoons with dancing skeletons! ... We here stopped watching cartoons when Hanna Barbera primitive shit started showing up. Disgusting. Made for the differently abled....or maybe we were too old for cartoons. But Hanna Barbera can suck my azz. Cheap and stupid.

Rocky & Bullwinkle were in a class by themselves. we LOVED THEM.

Last edited by salinqmind; 12-29-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:21 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Can't pick a single favorite, but it would be one of the pre-1940 Fleischer Studio Popeye cartoons.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
So many! Astro Boy (the original).... Loony Tunes, definitely! The 'Hollywood' characters cartoon in the 40's with Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre, Greta Garbo caricatures.....I loved Bugs Bunny, etc. but I also loved the forgotten obscure beautiful color cartoons from the 30's-40's. No well known characters, but the one I remember most was 'Welcome Spring'... Oh, and the old Disney cartoons with dancing skeletons! ... We here stopped watching cartoons when Hanna Barbera primitive shit started showing up. Disgusting. Made for the differently abled....or maybe we were too old for cartoons. But Hanna Barbera can suck my azz. Cheap and stupid.

Rocky & Bullwinkle were in a class by themselves. we LOVED THEM.
I can def understand why you feel the way you do about Hanna Barbera. I also can't stand to watch any of their shows today because they just seem so cheaply made compared to the "full animation" cartoons that were created for show in movie theaters.

There is another side to the story however but I am not knowledgeable enough to present it very well. Part of it is that the cost of producing a weekly 30 minute show with full animation would have been just about impossible at the time when the Flintstones were made.

I know that I saw someone explain that side of the story once. It may have been in that Mel Blanc documentary that I listed in my first post in this thread. But I'm just not sure.

Some people might say that hating on Hannah & Barbera today because their products look so cheap and primitive would be like hating on Charlie Chaplin because his short movies also look so grainy and primitive by today's standards.

But regardless of what anyone says about Hannah and Barbera, I agree with you insofar as The Flintstones and all the other cartoons that were produced in a similar way are very difficult to watch today.

IMO, the one exception is Rocky & Bullwinkle. Despite the fact that it was produced for children, this show still holds up well today. The humor and the view of world politics they presented was just amazing given it was produced for kids. My favorite part of that show was, "Fractured Fairy Tales". Remember that? I used to watch that show every week so I wouldn't miss that. There was no way to record TV shows circa 1960.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:09 AM

Larson, single panel: What's his name as last day of sound panel