Old 12-30-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Man, it is really hard to pick just one. Fleischer's Superman - The Mechanical Monsters - influenced so many things like Sky Captain and Iron Giant, and probably every giant robot that came after.

There are a handful of Simpsons episodes that would be in the running. Bart Gets An Elephant, Deep Space Homer and El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer are among the best, IMO.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

No love for the Roadrunner and Coyote cartoons? Of course they kind of blend into each other so it's hard to pick one.

If I had to pick one, it would be Rabbit Hood, mainly because of his interaction with the Sheriff of Notingham.

Bugs: "In the name of my most Royal Majesty, I knight thee! (strikes Sheriff over the head with his sceptre) “Arise, Sir Loin of Beef!”
(strike) "Arise, Earl of Cloves!”
(strike) “Arise, Duke of Brittingham!”
(strike) “Arise, Baron of Munchausen!”
(strike) “Arise, Essence of Myrrh!”
(strike) “Milk of Magnesia”
(strike) “Water of Thames!”
Sheriff: (dazed, slurred, but still on his feet) “You are too kind, your majesty.”
Bugs: (breaking the fourth wall) “Got lots of stamina!”
Old 12-30-2019, 10:37 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

My favorite cartoon is the Bloom County Christmas special, "A Wish For Wings That Work". Voices, artwork, characterization-it all comes together beautifully.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:34 PM

Warner Bros Birth of a Notion

"Give me your wishbone!"
Old 12-30-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
No love for the Roadrunner and Coyote cartoons? Of course they kind of blend into each other so it's hard to pick one.

If I had to pick one, it would be Rabbit Hood, mainly because of his interaction with the Sheriff of Notingham.

Bugs: "In the name of my most Royal Majesty, I knight thee! (strikes Sheriff over the head with his sceptre) “Arise, Sir Loin of Beef!”
(strike) "Arise, Earl of Cloves!”
(strike) “Arise, Duke of Brittingham!”
(strike) “Arise, Baron of Munchausen!”
(strike) “Arise, Essence of Myrrh!”
(strike) “Milk of Magnesia”
(strike) “Water of Thames!”
Sheriff: (dazed, slurred, but still on his feet) “You are too kind, your majesty.”
Bugs: (breaking the fourth wall) “Got lots of stamina!”
Oh, yeah! Big second!

I didn't know you could bake a cake that fast.

"Don't you worry! Never Fear! Robin Hood will soon be here!"
Old 12-30-2019, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

The universe of great cartoons is so vast and diverse that I could never hope to pick a favorite. But Kiwi! certainly merits a mention.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:21 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
The universe of great cartoons is so vast and diverse that I could never hope to pick a favorite. But Kiwi! certainly merits a mention.
That is so happy/sad.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I don't think I can pick one favorite, any more than I could pick a favorite food.

I had a college professor who chose Duck Amuck as the perfect example of existentialism. Almost all of the early Coyote vs. Roadrunner are as classical examples of Greek tragedy as can be found - the doomed hero failing again and again in an uncaring universe, and the catharsis we feel from identifying with him.

But as pure cartoon, nothing beats Hillbilly Hare. It has all the necessary elements of the perfect Bugs Bunny cartoon - the innocent Bugs being attacked, his ultimate triumph, and especially the inescapable internal logic of the plot. It's Bugs - of course he can tie a shotgun barrel into a bow, and of course he can dress up as a woman and have the hill billies fall in love with him instantly. And then the perfect moment, when Bugs doffs the women's outfit, picks up a magically available violin and slouch hat, kicks the plug from the juke box, and takes over their reality with perfectly rhymed and metered song when he becomes the square dance caller. Bugs struggles, and then ultimately is master of the situation, and justice is restored to the universe.

I can sing most of the song by heart -

Whirl, whirl, twist and twirl,
Jump around like a flying squirrel,
Now don't you cuss and don't you swear
Come right out and form a square

As they are spit out of the hay baler that the song morally compelled them to jump into.

Struggle, dominance, and ultimate triumph. There is hope for the universe, because justice has prevailed.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-30-2019, 02:38 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knighty_Knight_Bugs

Has the "Whoa dragon" scene. Just found out it was the only Bugs cartoon to win an Oscar.

Also this one, with "Whoa camel." https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xk2y90
Old 12-30-2019, 02:41 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I don't think I can pick one favorite, any more than I could pick a favorite food.

I had a college professor who chose Duck Amuck as the perfect example of existentialism. Almost all of the early Coyote vs. Roadrunner are as classical examples of Greek tragedy as can be found - the doomed hero failing again and again in an uncaring universe, and the catharsis we feel from identifying with him.

But as pure cartoon, nothing beats Hillbilly Hare. It has all the necessary elements of the perfect Bugs Bunny cartoon - the innocent Bugs being attacked, his ultimate triumph, and especially the inescapable internal logic of the plot. It's Bugs - of course he can tie a shotgun barrel into a bow, and of course he can dress up as a woman and have the hill billies fall in love with him instantly. And then the perfect moment, when Bugs doffs the women's outfit, picks up a magically available violin and slouch hat, kicks the plug from the juke box, and takes over their reality with perfectly rhymed and metered song when he becomes the square dance caller. Bugs struggles, and then ultimately is master of the situation, and justice is restored to the universe.

As they are spit out of the hay baler that the song morally compelled them to jump into.

Struggle, dominance, and ultimate triumph. There is hope for the universe, because justice has prevailed.

Regards,
Shodan
You should write a column/blog about cartoons.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:57 PM

Seen so many in my years, love all the ones recommended to date. Here are a few more that stuck with the:

Popeye in "A Clean Shaven Man, where Popeye and Bluto give each other a shave to impress Olive.

In the WB universe, let me add "Duck Dodgers in the 24th and 1/2 Century" for having Porky Pig playing against type with Marvin the Martian and Daffy Duck.

For series episodes, my two favorite programs are Johnny Quest and Samurai Jack. For both of them there are many episodes I remember fondly, but "The Invisible Monster" scared the hell out of a 7-yr old me first time I saw it, and "Jack and the Three Blind Archers", only the 7th episode of the series, told me that I had something special here.

Hope more memories are added.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Clanger View Post
Am I the only person who'd choose a Tom and Jerry episode? I'll come back with a specific example once I've had a chance to do some "research".
Nope! I love the hunting trilogy that CalMeacham references - they are each a masterpiece.

But equally brilliant are a lot of Tom and Jerry cartoons. I think that Mouse Trouble is a definitive T&J, and it has the added bonus that Tom's grievous injuries stay with him through the length of the cartoon. No mysteriously re-attaching tails!
Old 12-30-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knighty_Knight_Bugs

Has the "Whoa dragon" scene. Just found out it was the only Bugs cartoon to win an Oscar.

Also this one, with "Whoa camel." https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xk2y90
It always amused me that, no matter what animal he was riding, horse, camel, elephant, dragon, he always spurred it on with "Ya, mule! Ya, mule!"
Old 12-30-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
In the WB universe, let me add "Duck Dodgers in the 24th and 1/2 Century" for having Porky Pig playing against type with Marvin the Martian and Daffy Duck.

I love the two Chuck Jones Duck Dodgers cartoons (they traditionally play the first one at the start of each Boston 24 hour Science Fiction Film Marathon at the Somerville Theater), but I also like the series they made of it that ran 2003-2005 on Cartoon Network, and carried on and expanded the idea. That cartoon provided one of the few genuine laughs I had from a cartoon in years.

Porky Pig (as Cadet to Duck Dodgers getting into spaceship): Use the Force, sir.

Duck Dodgers: Thanks, but I think I'll use this expensive Targeting Computer I've got here.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:28 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Oh ghod-You just reminded me of the Duck Dodgers episode where he acquires a Green Lantern ring.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
You should write a column/blog about cartoons.
I just can't remain silent.

I have to agree. If you are not writing about cartoons, then you really should write about something. You just have too much knowledge to keep it to yourself.

Ever hear the expression, "Do not hide your light under a bushel?"

Ummm .... Whoever originally said that said it a lot better than I did.

That is why you should be the one writing a blog or something and not me.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:44 PM

Mighty Heroes
Rocky and Bullwinkle

No luck finding any full Aqua Teen Hunger Force episodes on youtube.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
No luck finding any full Aqua Teen Hunger Force episodes on youtube.
Yeah! "Hand-Banana".
Old 12-30-2019, 09:29 PM

Itchy And Scratchy
Old 12-30-2019, 10:15 PM

The Beavis and Butt-Head where Beavis dreams he dies and meets St. Peter is excellent.

Beavis: What do you know, asswipe?

St. Peter: Everything, Buttmunch.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Popeye in "A Clean Shaven Man, where Popeye and Bluto give each other a shave to impress Olive.
I suppose it's just as well she didn't express a preference for circumcised men.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Yeah! "Hand-Banana".
Yes, that was a good one, if a little eye-opening some moments.

Snippets from some really fine episodes:

Horror Santa in T-Shirt of the Dead
Ol Drippy
Larry Miller Hair System For Men
Carl, Environmentalist
Oog

I can't think of a more fucked-up-on-drugs regular cartoon than Xavier: Renegade Angel
Consume a bit before that one.

(can't remember if this one's been mentioned yet)
My favourite Warner Bros might have to be Bob Clampett's 1944 Gremlins From the Kremlin

Cool wiki info:

Quote:
Many of the gremlins are caricatures of the Warner Bros. animation department staff. The style is reminiscent of a 1936 Christmas card showcasing the staff as drawn by T. Hee. Among the recognizable gremlins are Chuck Jones, Robert Clampett, Friz Freleng, Melvin Millar, Michael Sasanoff, Leon Schlesinger (who is shown tapping the heads off of rivets with a hammer as he's being raised by a rope), Michael Maltese, Carl Stalling, Henry Binder and Ray Katz. Freleng and Binder are also referenced during Hitler's fake German rant at the beginning of the cartoon. What's Cookin' Doc? (also directed by Bob Clampett) is referenced as well.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:49 AM

Maybe you should've used the term "theatrical short", but whatever...

The first short that comes to mind is "Mickey's Trailer," but maybe I could come up with another if given time...
Old 12-31-2019, 08:06 AM

Merrie Melodies "Claws for Alarm"

One of at least two WB shorts involving Porky and Sylvester spending the night in a house "haunted" by mice where Porky is oblivious and Sylvester spends all night saving Porky's life (the other that I know of is "Scaredy Cat"). Anyways, the ending with Porky bashed on the head while singing "Home on the Range" and getting "stuck" on the line cracks me up every time.

Last edited by DCnDC; 12-31-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:23 AM

My favorite childhood cartoon, The Beany and Cecil Show. Episode title: Cecil Meets the Singing Dinosaur. The gang sails off to the No Bikini Atoll.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post

Regards,
Shodan
Holy Crap, Shodan! I was just about to post a description of this cartoon (along with the square dance sequence lyrics) asking someone to identify it. You beat me to it. This is indeed my favorite.

"Grab a fence post, hold it tight...."

Last edited by ZonexandScout; 12-31-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:10 PM

For those who care to see all the lyrics, they are here:

Just a couple of my favorite verses to stay within fair use:

Quote:
Grab a fence post, hold it tight,
Whomp your partner with all your might!
Hit him in the shin, hit him in the head,
Hit him again, the critter ain't dead.

Whomp him low and whomp him high,
Stick your finger in his eye!
Pretty little rhythm, pretty little sound,
Bang your heads against the ground!
Old 12-31-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Now into the brook and fish for the trout,
dive right in and splash about.
Trout, trout, pretty little trout,
one more splash and come right out.

But my favorite short is, as it is for many others, Duck Amuck.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:29 PM

South Park
Old 01-01-2020, 05:23 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisha Gaurav View Post
South Park
Which episode in particular?
Old 01-01-2020, 07:49 PM

How about Bambi Meets Godzilla?
Old 01-01-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
How about Bambi Meets Godzilla?
Was that followed by one titled, "Godzilla Eats Bambi?" ...... j/k
Old 01-02-2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
Alas, there is little or nothing left to eat.

I saw this one back in college as a warmup to a "real" movie. Could not tell you what that other movie was and it's possible I wouldn't remember any of it if you did tell me the name. But I do remember Bambi Meets Godzilla, very well. It made quite an impression on me. (And quite an impression on poor li'l Bambi too...)
Old 01-02-2020, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
I saw this one back in college as a warmup to a "real" movie. Could not tell you what that other movie was and it's possible I wouldn't remember any of it if you did tell me the name. But I do remember Bambi Meets Godzilla, very well. It made quite an impression on me. (And quite an impression on poor li'l Bambi too...)
For those who missed it back in 1969: Bambi Meets Godzilla. (Original black-and-white version, not one of the later colorized or re-makes.)
Old 01-02-2020, 01:53 AM

I was very surprised at the results of this thread so far. Thank you all very much.

So many of you displayed a terrific knowledge of toons - many of which were produced before most of us were even born. I got a large number of great new leads for toons to add to my collection. I've been thinking of asking some more questions in order to try to get some more leads. Some questions I'd like to ask include:

What are your most favorite and least favorite toons as well as your most and least favorite chars.

Some of my least favorite toons include: 8 Ball Bunny and 14 Carat Rabbit. The reason for these is they just don't seem to have any plot at all. I have to say that essentially nothing - or very close to nothing happens in them. At least if something did happen, I sure didn't get it. But maybe some of you have a diff opinion? Maybe I missed what the plot was? Unfortunately, I have found several other Bugs Bunny toons that I would describe the same way. I hope it turns out that I am mistaken.

Many people here posted the names of their favorite toons. But I'd also be interested in your least favorites because I'd like to learn more about the history of the people involved in the production of these toons (directors, producers, animators, voice over actors, etc.)

As for my most favorite chars go, these include: Pepe Le Pew, Speedy Gonzalez, The Tortoise (from the Tortoise & Hare), Marvin the Martian, and Chip & Dale.

I fear many of you will disagree with my list of least favorite chars. Surprisingly, there are very many and they include Porky, Daffy, Tweety, Elmer, Sylvester, Leghorn, Roadrunner, Yosemite, Goofy, Bosko & Buddy and now I'd like to explain why.

I just find most of them to be very painful to watch. Not only because their voices seem to grate on my ears. But also because I just don't find the toons in which they appear to be very interesting. Some of these chars speak with outrageous accents or stutter or tend to repeat the same phrases over and over and they just get on my nerves. I find it painful to watch them for very long. I'm guessing many of you will disagree with this list even strongly disagree. I'm pretty sure that Porky, Daffy, Tweety and Sylvester will be some of the most favorte chars of them all.

I'd also like to ask which chars would you have preferred to have seen more of? I ask this primarily out of curiosity since Mel Blanc is no longer with us, for that reason and several others, it is unlikely anyone will ever produce any more toons featuring these chars. But, if you could see more toons, which chars would you like to see more of? For me the one standout is Pepe Le Pew. Not only did I love some of the toons in which he was featured, but I seem to think there was just so many more ways in which he could have been used.

The one char I would have especially liked to have seen less of is Porky. In that documentary about Mel Blanc, I get the feeling that Porky was a very big star and he was the one char that Mel gave voice to most often when he was just getting started. I must admit that I still enjoy the schtick he does when he stutters over one word and then finally spits out a diff word. No matter how many times I see that, it still gives me a laugh - yet I still don't know why.

By the way, I also enjoy the two chipmunks that call each other "cousins". Can anyone confirm they are the chars named Chip & Dale?

I decided not to start a new thread and to just include this post as part of the existing thread.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-02-2020 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, but there really WERE two sequels:

Quote:
Two sequels followed that were each made by other animators: Bambi's Revenge (1971) and Son of Bambi Meets Godzilla (1999).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bambi_Meets_Godzilla

Actually, my favorite comment on this is a drawing my friend artist Lee Moyer once did entitled Godzilla Meets Rodin, in which you see Godzilla's giant foot coming down on Auguste Rodin's famous sculpture The Thinker

("Rodin" is pronounced roughly the same as Rodan, the Toho pterosaur kaiju. This note is for people with real lives who don't know about Japanese monster movies.)

Last edited by CalMeacham; 01-02-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Moyer's Godzilla Meets Rodin

https://www.leemoyer.ninja/humorpopc...1926#ha3811926
Old 01-02-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
My favorite childhood cartoon, The Beany and Cecil Show. Episode title: Cecil Meets the Singing Dinosaur. The gang sails off to the No Bikini Atoll.
Ah, the lovely Dinah Sore...
Old 01-02-2020, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was very surprised at the results of this thread so far. Thank you all very much.

So many of you displayed a terrific knowledge of toons - many of which were produced before most of us were even born. I got a large number of great new leads for toons to add to my collection. I've been thinking of asking some more questions in order to try to get some more leads. Some questions I'd like to ask include:

What are your most favorite and least favorite toons as well as your most and least favorite chars.

Some of my least favorite toons include: 8 Ball Bunny and 14 Carat Rabbit. The reason for these is they just don't seem to have any plot at all. I have to say that essentially nothing - or very close to nothing happens in them. At least if something did happen, I sure didn't get it. But maybe some of you have a diff opinion? Maybe I missed what the plot was? Unfortunately, I have found several other Bugs Bunny toons that I would describe the same way. I hope it turns out that I am mistaken.

Many people here posted the names of their favorite toons. But I'd also be interested in your least favorites because I'd like to learn more about the history of the people involved in the production of these toons (directors, producers, animators, voice over actors, etc.)

As for my most favorite chars go, these include: Pepe Le Pew, Speedy Gonzalez, The Tortoise (from the Tortoise & Hare), Marvin the Martian, and Chip & Dale.

I fear many of you will disagree with my list of least favorite chars. Surprisingly, there are very many and they include Porky, Daffy, Tweety, Elmer, Sylvester, Leghorn, Roadrunner, Yosemite, Goofy, Bosko & Buddy and now I'd like to explain why.

I just find most of them to be very painful to watch. Not only because their voices seem to grate on my ears. But also because I just don't find the toons in which they appear to be very interesting. Some of these chars speak with outrageous accents or stutter or tend to repeat the same phrases over and over and they just get on my nerves. I find it painful to watch them for very long. I'm guessing many of you will disagree with this list even strongly disagree. I'm pretty sure that Porky, Daffy, Tweety and Sylvester will be some of the most favorte chars of them all.

I'd also like to ask which chars would you have preferred to have seen more of? I ask this primarily out of curiosity since Mel Blanc is no longer with us, for that reason and several others, it is unlikely anyone will ever produce any more toons featuring these chars. But, if you could see more toons, which chars would you like to see more of? For me the one standout is Pepe Le Pew. Not only did I love some of the toons in which he was featured, but I seem to think there was just so many more ways in which he could have been used.

The one char I would have especially liked to have seen less of is Porky. In that documentary about Mel Blanc, I get the feeling that Porky was a very big star and he was the one char that Mel gave voice to most often when he was just getting started. I must admit that I still enjoy the schtick he does when he stutters over one word and then finally spits out a diff word. No matter how many times I see that, it still gives me a laugh - yet I still don't know why.

By the way, I also enjoy the two chipmunks that call each other "cousins". Can anyone confirm they are the chars named Chip & Dale?

I decided not to start a new thread and to just include this post as part of the existing thread.
I can confirm that they’re not the Chip and Dale of Rescue Rangers fame, who were a creation of Walt Disney Animation Studios.

These guys spoke intelligibly, with posh accents. I honestly don’t recall them calling one another “cousin.” That sounds more like a Heckle and Jeckle thing.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:42 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
I can confirm that they’re not the Chip and Dale of Rescue Rangers fame, who were a creation of Walt Disney Animation Studios.

These guys spoke intelligibly, with posh accents. I honestly don’t recall them calling one another “cousin.” That sounds more like a Heckle and Jeckle thing.
That would be The Goofy Gophers, Mac and Tosh.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:

FYI, I'm absolutely positive that one called the other one "cousin" because I just saw one of their toons yesterday. Sorry, I don't remember the title. But it was one where Elmer Fudd bought a chest of drawers and the two chipmunks used it to store their nuts indoors. By the end of the toon, they had managed to fill his entire house with their nuts and Fudd wound up as a basket case. Very enjoyable toon.

I found the title. It is "Pests for Guests" and one calls the other "cousin" at approx the 4:31 mark.

Thank you Czarcasm. I never realized they were Gophers. I keep learning new things every day. Thanks again.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-02-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
<snip> Some of my least favorite toons include: 8 Ball Bunny and 14 Carat Rabbit. <snip>
You don't like, "8 Ball Bunny"?

OOOOO, I'M DYYYYYYYIN'!
Old 01-02-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I'd also like to ask which chars would you have preferred to have seen more of?
Not Warners - good ole Flattop and Mumbles
I only wish Flattop talked like Mumbles - that would have been the perfect storm for me.

Donald Parker

The always beatifically upbeat, zen-like Bear from Harvey Birdman.

Also - dear little Ignignot and Err - the Mooninites

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 01-02-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:39 PM

For the Birds, by Pixar.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Too many to choose from. I, of course, love One Froggy Evening,Duck Amuck, and [I]What's Opera, Doc[/B]. But I think my favorite might be one of the "Hunters Trilogy" starring Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Elmer Fudd. The three cartoons are

Rabbit Fire

Rabbit Seasoning

and

Duck, Rabbit, Duck!. They were written by the great Michael Maltese, directed by Chuck Jones, and voiced by Mel Blanc.

These three are, in my opinion, the pinnacle of Warner Brothers cartoon creativity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_Fire
Yes. Yes. Absolutely.

I can never remember which is which, but the one that concludes with a hysterical Daffy screaming "I'm a fiddler crab! Shoot me! It's fiddler crab season!" while doing a passable impression of a fiddler crab...cartoon perfection.

I love Daffy.

Bugs: this is the tale of Jack and the Beanstalk, right?
Giant Elmer: right....
Bugs: Well....he's Jack.
Daffy (hysterical): IT'S A LIE! MY NAME IS .... ALOYSIUS! HE'S JACK!

Aloysius? Fiddler crab? Where do they come up with this stuff?? Genius.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:18 PM

Too many to choose from, as I pretty much like most animation , but i'd say one of my favorites is the Farscape episode "Revenging Angel", it's not strictly a cartoon, but it does take place in John Crichton's unconscious mind , where it takes on a fever dream parody of the classic Road Runner cartoon, with Crichton being the R and Ka' D'Argo being Wile-E-Coyote...

https://youtu.be/cOc1FeJENtA
Old 01-02-2020, 04:59 PM

This thread has reminded me of a lot of great WB cartoons I haven’t thought about in a long time (“Feed the Kitty” turns this grown man into a quivering pile of mush at every viewing). One of my favorites that I haven’t noticed in this thread is Chuck Jones’ “Mouse Wreckers” where the mouse duo of Hubie and Bertie go to elaborate lengths to convince the neurotic Claude Cat that he is going insane. The trio appeared in a couple more cartoons with a similar theme (the mice messing with the cat’s head) but this is the one with the classic “furniture-nailed-to-the-ceiling” gag.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
For those who missed it back in 1969: Bambi Meets Godzilla. (Original black-and-white version, not one of the later colorized or re-makes.)
I've seen this a few times but this was the first time I read ALL of the credits.

Marv Newland produced by Mr. & Mrs. Newland
We gratefully acknowledge the city of Tokyo
Old 01-02-2020, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
My favorite cartoon is definitely "What's Opera, Doc?". Everything about it is absolute perfection. "One Froggy Evening" is first runner-up.
I'll go with this. Check out this YouTube video of some high school performers doing it live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_8a...&start_radio=1
Old 01-02-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
"Long-Haired Hare" and "The Rabbit of Seville" would have to be very close also-rans.
For me, these are second place and grand prize winner, respectively. I can't remember in the morning where I put my car keys, but I still know all the lyrics to "Rabbit of Seville."

Last edited by wanderer2575; 01-02-2020 at 10:02 PM.