Old 11-01-2017, 04:10 PM

Papa John's Blames NFL Controversy for Poor Sales.

Really.

Of course, it couldn't be because Poppa John's pizza sucks.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:11 PM

Could a moderator fix the misspelling of Poppa in the thread title? Many thanks!
Old 11-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Do you want it changed to "Poppa", or to "Papa"? I'm pretty sure that the name of the chain is the latter.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:15 PM

The latter, please and thanks!!
Old 11-01-2017, 04:23 PM

It also couldn't possibly be because Schnatter is a jerk, and had made comments about raising his pizza prices (and / or cutting his employee hours) due to the costs of Obamacare (though those were several years ago).
Old 11-01-2017, 04:24 PM

Who knew that peaceful protest comes with an unexpected side benefit!
Old 11-01-2017, 04:29 PM

If it wasn't for already-signed contracts, Papa Johns and other sponsors would have pulled out of the NFL already.

My old roommate is relatively high up the chain at Frito Lay and he's told me that Frito has had meetings with the NFL about their situation as well and wishes they could pull out of their contract
Old 11-01-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
My old roommate is relatively high up the chain at Frito Lay and he's told me that Frito has had meetings with the NFL about their situation as well and wishes they could pull out of their contract
You must be swimming in tasty snacks!
Old 11-01-2017, 04:40 PM

I wonder how their sales compare to other pizza places.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
If it wasn't for already-signed contracts, Papa Johns and other sponsors would have pulled out of the NFL already.

It isn't clear to me why:

Because they want to distance themselves from the protests?

Distance themselves from the Owner's reaction to the protests?

Fear of NFL ratings going down?

Something else?
Old 11-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Maybe his buddy Donald will bail him out. The guy is a true asshole and fuck his pizza chain.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:54 PM

I would've blamed:

1) mediocre pizza
2) obnoxious owner and annoying ads
Old 11-01-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
I wonder how their sales compare to other pizza places.
Yum! Brands, which owns Pizza Hut, is actually releasing their Q3 2017 earnings statement tomorrow (11/2). Those earnings will only be through September 30th, so they may not paint a full picture of what's going on with Pizza Hut with regards to the past 8 weeks...but if Pizza Hut is down dramatically, I'd expect it to be noted. For their second quarter (ending June 30th), same-store sales for Pizza Hut in the US were down 4%, and were down 5% for "year to date."

Domino's released their Q3 earnings three weeks ago, noting that their "same store sales" were up 8.4% for the quarter, versus the same period last year. It's not clear to me if those figures are through the end of August, or the end of September.

Little Caesars is privately owned by the Illitch family, so comparable info on their sales would be difficult to find.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 11-01-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:56 PM

My guess is yes to distancing themselves from the protests. Yes to fear of the NFL ratings going down even further. I think the main reason would be that they don't think they are getting the bang for their buck that the NFL has always had. The ratings have gone down so the commercials don't reach the number of people the advertisers are paying for. The cost of having a commercial during a NFL game is high and with reduced viewership I'm sure they would like to at least renegotiate the rates.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:02 PM

When I was in college, I was all about Papa Johns.

But that's because my taste buds hadn't properly developed yet.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post

Something else?
Mainly to the NFL ratings going down. The costs of commercials during a NFL game are high and I am sure the advertisers are not happy about the reduced viewership They are not getting the bang for their buck they were expecting.

Distancing themselves from the protests? I would guess yes, I would say yes to the fear of the NFL rating tanking even further.

Last edited by Tom Terrific; 11-01-2017 at 05:03 PM. Reason: missed previous edit
Old 11-01-2017, 05:03 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I quit buying their pizza when he started whining about having to insure his employees. What an ass! Instead, I buy from a local place. It may cost a bit more, but my dollars largely stay in the county. And their pizza is lots better, too!
Old 11-01-2017, 05:10 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Could a moderator fix the misspelling of Poppa in the thread title? Many thanks!
Fixed. (It should be Papa.)
Old 11-01-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
You must be swimming in tasty snacks!
When we lived together I definitely was. The best part was when a new prototype chip would be in testing. He would come home with a small, all-white bag and throw it at me and say "eat this and tell me what you think". It was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post

Something else?
Distance themselves from the protests mainly, or at least the controversy surrounding the whole deal. The ratings are down too, but it's mostly because the general public now has negative feelings toward the nfl and Frito is trying to distance themselves from it
Old 11-01-2017, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The best part was when a new prototype chip would be in testing. He would come home with a small, all-white bag and throw it at me and say "eat this and tell me what you think". It was fun.
So you're one of the ones to blame for the Mt Dew-flavored Doritos?

And isn't Frito-Lay part of the same corporate family as Yum Foods?
Old 11-01-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:

I'm sure. Who wouldn't want to break a contract when it stopped being as good a deal as they thought. But that's why you have contracts.

The possibility of lower NFL ratings should have been priced into those agreements. If advertisers wanted to be insulated against the risk of lower NFL ratings, they could have written that into their contracts.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

More likely, they ran out of people who had never tasted their pizza before.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
I'm sure. Who wouldn't want to break a contract when it stopped being as good a deal as they thought. But that's why you have contracts.

The possibility of lower NFL ratings should have been priced into those agreements. If advertisers wanted to be insulated against the risk of lower NFL ratings, they could have written that into their contracts.
TV advertising contracts come with ratings guarantees. If the ratings don't hit the guarantees, the sponsors get additional ads as "make goods." (They do not get refunds, however.)

Of course, getting a bunch of free ads on weekend garbage sports programs in February and March isn't going to help pizza sales in this quarter
Old 11-01-2017, 09:04 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

That's what papa John's pizza tastes like - asshole.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:09 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

You can't tell me that the NFL is solely responsible for one company doing poorly!!

In my little suburb, which is actually not even a proper suburb of any major city (we're suburbs of suburbs) and we're nowhere near a college and there are TEN pizza places that will deliver to me and one that doesn't deliver but I get most of the time anyway. Two places closed and two more popped up in the last 5 years. Plus we've got Costco's excellent pizzas now, and the frozen ones at the store are pretty good. So like, maybe SATURATION is the problem??

I really, really doubt that the protesting is bringing down pizza sales. It might be bringing down NFL viewership but there's a lot of factors in that too - such as injuries, Thursday games, shiiiiiity playing, weather patterns, etc. But to boldly blame your pizza sales on the NFL losing viewership because of the protesting of systemic racism is...wow.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
That's what papa John's pizza tastes like - asshole.
You're going to have to explain how you know what either one tastes like.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:23 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

It was college, I was drunk....hHy! I don't have to explain myself here!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
And isn't Frito-Lay part of the same corporate family as Yum Foods?
They were both owned by Pepsico at one point, but Pepsico spun off their restaurant businesses (Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and KFC) in 1997. The restaurant company was called Tricon at first, and then re-named Yum in 2002.

Frito-Lay is still owned by Pepsico.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:27 AM

NFL parties with beer and pizza have been a thing my entire life.

Whoever has the biggest tv screen and reliable reception invites their friends over. I used to watch games regularly at friends homes. I always brought a six pack to contribute.

The playoff season is when the parties really gain steam. It won't this year. No one wants to watch these selfish, showboating millionaires anymore.

NFL viewership is down. Of course that impacts sales of pizza, snacks and beer.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-02-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:17 AM
Charter Member

It seems to me that Jerry Jones is one of the biggest franchisee that Papa John's has.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
NFL parties with beer and pizza have been a thing my entire life.

Whoever has the biggest tv screen and reliable reception invites their friends over. I used to watch games regularly at friends homes. I always brought a six pack to contribute.

The playoff season is when the parties really gain steam. It won't this year. No one wants to watch these selfish, showboating millionaires anymore.

NFL viewership is down. Of course that impacts sales of pizza, snacks and beer.
These selfish, showboating millionaires actually care about those who aren't as fortunate as they were.
Unlike the selfish, showboating millionaires and billionaires in the White House and Congress.
You want to see disrespect for the flag and military? Look no farther than the oversized, whimpering turd in the Oval Office.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:16 AM

I know where I am going to have lunch. Nice to see our great President is bringing some sense to these National Felons League prima donnas and the creeps who support their intolerant hate speech.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:53 AM

I know right? If there is one thing I KNOW is hate speech, it's kneeling silently!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

The topic of this thread is Papa John's and the NFL. Let's keep Trump and his administration out of this discussion, on both sides.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Really.

Of course, it couldn't be because Poppa John's pizza sucks.
Papa John's hasn't changed their product since they last announced their fiscal earning. Papa John's pizza is still Papa John's pizza.

Papa John's cut its profit forecast blaming a reduction in NFL viewership for a decrease in product sales.

AFAIK, a company pays big bucks to advertise a product during NFL football games.
Promises are made, contracts are signed.
Advertisements are designed to encourage buyers to purchase that product.
Earnings forecasts are based on X number of viewers.
A reduction in NFL viewership should/could result in less product being sold (during NFL games?).

It appears to me that the Papa John's company is preparing it's investors/stockholders to expect reduced earnings numbers.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Whoever has the biggest tv screen and reliable reception invites their friends over. .
Is reliability a real problem?
I'm old enough that I can barely remember when TV sets had rabbit-ear antennas on top that had to be adjusted, or you had to add some tin foil,( or make your little brother hold it next to the window )

But that was back before the Super Bowl even existed, I think.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

The topic of this thread is Papa John's and the NFL. Let's keep Trump and his administration out of this discussion, on both sides.
To be honest, I think Trump and the flag thing most certainly play a part in this. There is a group of owners who are working to oust Roger Goodell as commissioner. I don't think that it is uncommon knowledge that one of those owners is Jerry Jones. I mentioned earlier that Jones is one of the largest franchisees of Papa John's. This whole thing smells of setting up Goodell to take a fall based on the anthem protest affecting ratings and partner businesses. Jones and Schnatter are both pretty staunch republicans.

Do I have any proof? No, but it isn't exactly in CT territory either.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:03 AM

If you want an alternative to Papa Johns for your pizza parties go with Little Ceasars.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
To be honest, I think Trump and the flag thing most certainly play a part in this. There is a group of owners who are working to oust Roger Goodell as commissioner. I don't think that it is uncommon knowledge that one of those owners is Jerry Jones. I mentioned earlier that Jones is one of the largest franchisees of Papa John's. This whole thing smells of setting up Goodell to take a fall based on the anthem protest affecting ratings and partner businesses. Jones and Schnatter are both pretty staunch republicans.

Do I have any proof? No, but it isn't exactly in CT territory either.
Jerry doesn't want to oust Goodell. He's just slow-rolling the process to assert his leadership in the league.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

I thought I had made myself clear. If you want to bring in Trump, do it elsewhere, such as Great Debates or the Pit. Any further hijacks along this line will result in Warnings.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
Papa John's hasn't changed their product since they last announced their fiscal earning. Papa John's pizza is still Papa John's pizza.

Papa John's cut its profit forecast blaming a reduction in NFL viewership for a decrease in product sales.

AFAIK, a company pays big bucks to advertise a product during NFL football games.
Promises are made, contracts are signed.
Advertisements are designed to encourage buyers to purchase that product.
Earnings forecasts are based on X number of viewers.
A reduction in NFL viewership should/could result in less product being sold (during NFL games?).

It appears to me that the Papa John's company is preparing it's investors/stockholders to expect reduced earnings numbers.
I wonder what percentage of their advertising is NFL, and whether the reduction in sales tracks reduction in ratings. But if they totally depend on NFL viewership for sales they are idiots.
More likely it is an excuse to explain the drop. Not their fault, it is the players fault.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I wonder what percentage of their advertising is NFL, and whether the reduction in sales tracks reduction in ratings.
They've also tied themselves very closely to the NFL through their sponsorship deal, and featuring current and former players (Peyton Manning, J.J. Watt, and probably others, as well) in their ads.

If there are people who are actively boycotting the NFL*, and its sponsors, due to the anthem issue, then it's possible that Papa John's is taking a bigger hit than other pizza chains.

And, yes, NFL ratings are down. They were down last year, too. It's a complex topic, and has been analyzed extensively, with no one clear reason for it. TV ratings are down across the board as people turn to streaming or other media sources, the concussion / CTE issue has turned off some fans, some people feel that the games have become less entertaining to watch due to the length and frequent commercials, etc.

* - I'm certain that some people are doing this, but I'm not yet convinced that this is a widespread thing.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 11-02-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:43 PM

NFL ratings are down because the NFL is working hard to piss off their fans. The Rams and Chargers moving to LA has been a ratings disaster. People in LA are not watching those teams on TV. The NFL ratings in San Diego are way down the same is happening in St Louis.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:49 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Pizza Hut just announced that their 3rd and 4th quarter same store profits are up. Could it be that Papa John's just makes crappy pizza and people are finally figuring that out?
Old 11-02-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
If you want an alternative to Papa Johns for your pizza parties go with Little Ceasars.
There are many alternatives to Papa John's pizza. That's not the point. From a strictly financial/business/stockholder point of view, Papa John's wouldn't be announcing/explaining the potential earnings/profits of Little Caesars Pizza.

Papa John's is explaining to it's shareholders why earnings will be less than expected.

If fewer people are watching NFL football, that means there will be fewer people seeing Papa John's commercials. If fewer people are seeing Papa John's commercials, that means that fewer people will be ordering/buying Papa John's products. If fewer people are buying Papa John's products, Papa John's may wish to renegotiate, or terminate, their deal with the NFL.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:06 PM

Storm damage in multiple areas may have cost some sales.

Houston, Louisiana, Florida, Puerto Rico (I checked, Papa J has locations there)

That must have made some impact on sales.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-02-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Pizza Hut just announced that their 3rd and 4th quarter same store profits are up. Could it be that Papa John's just makes crappy pizza and people are finally figuring that out?
Does Pizza Hut advertise during NFL games?
Old 11-02-2017, 02:09 PM

Something I find ironic about what's happening with the NFL is the Right thinks they are sticking it to the Left by hating on the NFL meanwhile most liberals I know (even ones who like football) hate the NFL as an organization.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:16 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes they do, although their major sponsorship deal is with the NCAA.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What difference does it make?
Unless PJ's sales are down because they support the NFL rather than the players.
Free market at work. Isn't that the Holy Grail?