Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2010, 06:17 PM

What's the deal with Star Trek episode numbers?

I've been rewatching Star Trek: The Next Generation through Netflix, and it just occurred to me that the episodes are numbered oddly. It seems that the episodes are numbered from 101-278. Was this done in some bizarre attempt to avoid using the numbers 1-79 for the original series.

While we are on the subject... why was the Original Series two-part episode "The Menagerie" numbered as episode 16, when it is clearly two episodes. Shouldn't the original series really be 80 episodes 1-80? Then again, should the pilot episode "The Cage" really be episode 1? And what is with articles I have found calling "The Cage" episode 99?

As for TNG, it seems that they count episodes based on the assumption that every one of them is approx. 45 minutes long, neglecting the fact that some episodes were double-length, such as "Encounter at Farpoint" and "All Good Things..." In fact, there should be 176 episodes of The Next Generation, shouldn't there?

I have yet to delve into Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise, but do they also adhere to strange numbering rules? I vaguely remember reading an episode guide list to Deep Space Nine ages ago, in which I think the episodes were in the 400's, but I could be mistaken...