Old 06-14-2018, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the money! But WHY???

A month or so ago I received a check from Pennsylvania's Department of the Treasury. Yay!! Right? But that was all that was in the envelope, a check. No explanation and I wasn't expecting it.

I spent some time Googling, posted a thread, called my accountant, all to no avail. I eventually called the Treasury and, after an hour or so on hold, spoke to someone who was also initially dumbfounded. She eventually told me it was reimbursement from something several years ago. My accountant is still perplexed.

Why couldn't they have mentioned this along with the check?

So, yesterday I get a check from a health insurance company I dealt with many years ago. The check is made out to my daughters name, at my work address. The last time I dealt with this company I was providing health insurance for my daughter while she was in college.

No explanation. I assume it was an over-payment of premiums (it is close to $1,000), but I had to call my daughter to see if maybe she had a large healthcare expense that was denied at the time. Nope, all she had were a few $10 co-pays.

So, why no letter? Fuuuuuuck.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:09 AM

Highly advise you check your credit history and things along those lines - sounds like you unfortunately might be a victim of identity theft or some other scammy like thing. Hope not - good luck!

Last edited by Celidin; 06-14-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celidin View Post
Highly advise you check your credit history and things along those lines - sounds like you unfortunately might be a victim of identity theft or some other scammy like thing. Hope not - good luck!
No, I think this is just the way refunds are being done. Last year I got a check for $10 from my doctor. No explanation. A few weeks later, another $10. A few weeks after that another $10. I eventually called the office, but they do not do the bookkeeping. Called the accounting office and they told me I had been charged co-pays that were eventually determined inappropriate. But why no letter?
Old 06-14-2018, 09:40 AM

I had this happen (with a much smaller amount) and spent a week tracking it down. Finally found someone in a county office who discovered it was a payment for an extra day of jury duty... years before.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:24 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
No, I think this is just the way refunds are being done. Last year I got a check for $10 from my doctor. No explanation. A few weeks later, another $10. A few weeks after that another $10. I eventually called the office, but they do not do the bookkeeping. Called the accounting office and they told me I had been charged co-pays that were eventually determined inappropriate. But why no letter?
I wish I had your problems.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Sith Mod

Moved to MPSIMS.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:18 AM

I can guess why no letter: they have made a mistake, and they are willing to make it right, but they don't want to actually admit they made a mistake. They are, among other things, afraid that you will check your history with them more carefully and find other mistakes that they made, that they will also have to make right. Or they fear some other kind of liability coming out of it. As far as these kinds of companies are concerned, there is no good that ever comes from admitting a mistake.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Moved to MPSIMS.
Yeah, thanks. My rant had me kinda pissed off, but I guess not Pit worthy.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:59 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

That is odd. We've gotten checks from our Dr for overpayments - a year later - but the check stub always had a line that explained what the overpayment was. No one ever sends up mystery money.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:21 PM

OK, so the health insurance people are a bunch of fucktards. I spent 30 minutes on hold, then the woman I spoke with needed my "plan number". I told her I diodn't have a "plan" any longer. No problem, says she, just read her the number on the back of my card. I DO NOT HAVE A CARD.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I wish I had your problems.
I've got 99 problems, but a glitch ain't one.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:35 PM

There's this old saying about gift horses and mouths.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I can guess why no letter: they have made a mistake, and they are willing to make it right, but they don't want to actually admit they made a mistake. They are, among other things, afraid that you will check your history with them more carefully and find other mistakes that they made, that they will also have to make right. Or they fear some other kind of liability coming out of it. As far as these kinds of companies are concerned, there is no good that ever comes from admitting a mistake.
Eh, don't attribute something to malice that is explained by incompetence.

Rather than human nature and fear of getting caught in a mistake, it is more likely the general dumb-ape decision that a letter costs money to generate and print (ignoring the far greater cost of the customer service rep answering the calls that come in because there is no letter of explanation).
Old 06-14-2018, 02:02 PM

I got a mysterious check a few months back. I wrote about it in this thread.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post

Rather than human nature and fear of getting caught in a mistake, it is more likely the general dumb-ape decision that a letter costs money to generate and print (ignoring the far greater cost of the customer service rep answering the calls that come in because there is no letter of explanation).
You're probably right. I keep thinking people are smarter than they turn out to be.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
OK, so the health insurance people are a bunch of fucktards. I spent 30 minutes on hold, then the woman I spoke with needed my "plan number". I told her I diodn't have a "plan" any longer. No problem, says she, just read her the number on the back of my card. I DO NOT HAVE A CARD.
Called back. Armed with my daughter's social security number, the woman I spoke with spent a long time trying to answer my question. The closest she could get was that the check is some kind of reimbursement for something that happened in 2007. She said it is impossible to be more specific (hard copies do not exist, nor do electronic records exist for the account in question).

I'm spending the money on drugs and alcohol. My current healthcare plan be dammed.

ETA: my daughter was 17 at the time.

Last edited by kayaker; 06-14-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I'm spending the money on drugs and alcohol. My current healthcare plan be dammed.
I checked, and if your daughter's name was on that account, you're morally obligated to share those with your daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I've got 99 problems, but a glitch ain't one.
Just wanted everyone to read that again [quiet but excited golf clap]
Old 06-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post

Or someone asked, who do we need to route this letter to for approval? - and no one could decide on a name. Or it had to be approved by two or more people who disagreed on what the letter should say. Or there was a past history of such letters hitting, say, a review by legal, and just sitting on that desk for months to years. So sending it without the letter gets the check where it should go while trying to add a letter might waylay it permanently.

**shrug** Might be a lot of things.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I checked, and if your daughter's name was on that account, you're morally obligated to share those with your daughter.
Heh. My daughter doesn't use drugs recreationally, and she only rarely enjoys a glass of wine. She is the white sheep of the family.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:36 PM

Blow it.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Blow it.
Haven't touched blow in at least a decade, but mmmmmmmmm, no.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Bart Simpson: "Didn't you wonder why you were getting checks for doing absolutely nothing?"

Grampa Simpson: "I figured because the democrats were in power again."
Old 06-14-2018, 06:19 PM

I'm sorry to hear that this is stressing you out. In the future, just forward the money to me and I'll deal with the stress.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Haven't touched blow in at least a decade, but mmmmmmmmm, no.

No, no I meant spend it fast.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Thank Goodness!
Old 06-14-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
So speed then?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:13 PM

When I was young, we had an understanding about cheques without documentation. They came from companies with poor cost control that would, in a couple of years, go bust with massive debts, missing money, and reports of widespread fraud.

And here we have people sending out cheques that they are unable to account for. $100 to you. $75 to some supplier. $50,000, $37,000 and $42,000 to the cousin of Fred in accounts.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:56 PM

I have a rule about checks like thins, although I've never had to implement it: wait a month and a half. If the company that issued the check hasn't contacted you about it in that time that means that either it's legit or they didn't notice the error. Keep the money in your bank account for another week just to be safe. Then blow on some really good scotch.

YMMV, especially with regards to the scotch.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
You should see how fast I used to be able to go through the blow.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:03 PM

I wouldn't deposit it in MY bank account, I'd take that check to the bank that issued it and cash that bitch. It'll be a LOT harder to rake back that way.