Old 06-20-2018, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Cubs closer Brandon Morrow was placed on the DL after experiencing back spasms. While undressing at home.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...king-pants-off

And I’m not making fun of him even though it does seem ridiculous. I pulled a muscle in my back getting dressed and hurt like hell for a couple of weeks. Now, I don’t do the same amount of stretching exercises I’d expect a major league ball player does, but there was no way I could even toss a softball in that much pain.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

No more mystery about why the Red Sox dumped Hanley Ramirez so early in the year, and why no other team has picked him up. There's (okay, reportedly) an investigation underway into a major drug ring involving him.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Once again, an insane and idiotic overreaction by MLB as they suspend Roberto Osuna for 'domestic violence even though he hasn't even been to trial. I am so sick of sports commissioners being judge, jury and executioner and throwing out ridiculous punishments for events that don't relate to baseball. If Osuna had been caught doctoring the baseball repeatedly and they want to suspend him, fine. If he destroyed throwback uniforms because he didn't want to wear them, fine. If he charged out during a bench clearing brawl and landed a left hook on an umpire, fine. But, the legal system is best for handling legal issues. I'd complain just as loud if the police arrested and jailed Osuna for throwing a spitball.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/06/22...olence-policy/
Old 06-23-2018, 09:44 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Once again, an insane and idiotic overreaction by MLB as they suspend Roberto Osuna for 'domestic violence even though he hasn't even been to trial. I am so sick of sports commissioners being judge, jury and executioner and throwing out ridiculous punishments for events that don't relate to baseball.
I do not for the life of me understand your point.

1. Employers routinely punish, suspend, or terminate employees for reasons related to their disgracing their employer or violating codes of conduct. They do not, have never, and have never been expected to wait for a court of law to pass judgment.

2. Of course it has to do with baseball. It's an entertainment venture and the public's impression matters. This decision is no different from ABC firing Roseanne Barr for disgraceful behaviour unrelated to acting on TV.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Once again, an insane and idiotic overreaction by MLB as they suspend Roberto Osuna for 'domestic violence even though he hasn't even been to trial. I am so sick of sports commissioners being judge, jury and executioner and throwing out ridiculous punishments for events that don't relate to baseball. If Osuna had been caught doctoring the baseball repeatedly and they want to suspend him, fine. If he destroyed throwback uniforms because he didn't want to wear them, fine. If he charged out during a bench clearing brawl and landed a left hook on an umpire, fine. But, the legal system is best for handling legal issues. I'd complain just as loud if the police arrested and jailed Osuna for throwing a spitball.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/06/22...olence-policy/
I think you're in the minority on this one.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:40 AM

I understand taking Osuna off a MLB roster until his trial is over, but why impose the 75 game suspension now? What happens if he's found not guilty?

ETA: To clarify, even after a not-guilty verdict MLB could decide that Osuna violated their policy, but to do so ahead of time runs some risks. For example, what if the victim were to recand on the stand? What then?

Last edited by Blank Slate; 06-24-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:06 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Very little is publicly available about the charge right now. It could very well be that the assault was public, and/or that MLB conducted their own investigation and felt the evidence was there to suspend. Whether or not the victim recants is irrelevant, since MLB isn't a governmental agency. They could elect to suspend him for failing to trim his fingernails if they wish, with the approval of the player's association. Look to them to see if the suspension is justified or not.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Very little is publicly available about the charge right now. It could very well be that the assault was public, and/or that MLB conducted their own investigation and felt the evidence was there to suspend. Whether or not the victim recants is irrelevant, since MLB isn't a governmental agency. They could elect to suspend him for failing to trim his fingernails if they wish, with the approval of the player's association. Look to them to see if the suspension is justified or not.
I'm aware they can do pretty much what they want, but of course it would matter if she recanted. They would look like idiots, and rightly so. And the players union would support Osuna in a grievance. i can't see any reason to jump the gun on the legal process.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
No more mystery about why the Red Sox dumped Hanley Ramirez so early in the year, and why no other team has picked him up. There's (okay, reportedly) an investigation underway into a major drug ring involving him.
Good thing you added the "reportedly." Seems that the story is untrue. (Your link has been updated with further details...)
Old 06-25-2018, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Interesting, the Oakland A's are not televising their game against the Detroit Tigers today. I can certainly remember, even as recently as a few years ago, when not all games were broadcast by each team. And, I can certainly see that a day game being played in Eastern time wouldn't be a ratings draw. But, I assume the A's broadcast on a regional sports network which doesn't have anything else to show during the late morning, early afternoon in California. Plus, this is the start of a 4 game series so the Oakland broadcast crew is going to be in Detroit anyway for the rest of the series. This isn't a one off makeup game.

Admittedly it is a bit odd, but nice, to open a 4 game series with a Monday day game.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Interesting, the Oakland A's are not televising their game against the Detroit Tigers today. I can certainly remember, even as recently as a few years ago, when not all games were broadcast by each team. And, I can certainly see that a day game being played in Eastern time wouldn't be a ratings draw. But, I assume the A's broadcast on a regional sports network which doesn't have anything else to show during the late morning, early afternoon in California. Plus, this is the start of a 4 game series so the Oakland broadcast crew is going to be in Detroit anyway for the rest of the series. This isn't a one off makeup game.

Admittedly it is a bit odd, but nice, to open a 4 game series with a Monday day game.
I've often wondered what was the last moment in baseball that was not captured on video, ditto for other sports. If a game isn't televised anywhere (which I don't think ever happens anymore), would there be video taken for the team's use?
Old 06-26-2018, 10:16 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Sure, all games are videoed for scouting and instructional purposes.

Your question is a fascinating one. I bet it's no less recent than the 80s.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:58 PM

By amazing coincidence, I am reading a book by former major league pitcher Skip Lockwood. A kind of a memoir with a chunk of psychology thrown in.

On page 92 Lockwood is describing his first day with the Kansas City A's, the team that originally signed him. It's 1964. He mentions a coach who he will only identify as "Babe." Babe, Lockwood says, had just two responsibilities: "throw batting practice and record the game on tape."

Lockwood then says that Babe was no longer recording because several days earlier "he stepped on the recording device." Not clear whether this means no one was recording or whether the team just decided he'd better not be the one to do so.

Anyway, if Lockwood can be believed*, games were being filmed on at least a semi-regular basis as early as 1964. I guess it's possible that Charlie Finley was way ahead of his time and that KC was the only team doing it, but that doesn't sound like the action of a notorious skinflint like charlie O.

*I don't have any reason to doubt it, but there are a couple of things in the book that are clearly wrong. He's got a reference to a minor league team in Birmingham, Iowa, and I don't know whether he means Birmingham, Alabama or Burlington, Iowa, but it's pretty obviously not what's in the text. He also says that he was the first free agent the Boston Red Sox ever signed, back in 1980, and this is of course incorrect as well, as the Red Sox were very very active in the free agent market from the beginning: off the top of my head, I remember them signing Bill Campbell and Mike Torrez before Lockwood came along. All of which is to say that Lockwood's memory isn't 100% reliable, and neither were his fact checkers, so who knows.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I remember Lockwood from his Mets days, when I was a tad following the Big Red Machine. The greatest lineup of the day just couldn't seem to touch a nothing-special reliever who got lit up by almost everyone else.

Odd that he'd make so many textual errors, considering that he went on to get a graduate degree from MIT.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:25 AM

Well...the Reds have been playing some pretty good baseball as of late, sweeping the Tigers in two, the Cubs in four, and took two out of three against the Braves. Now they face division leading Milwaukee.

At a bare minimum, it'll showcase young v old.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Do NOT watch the video of the Angels' Jake Jewell's ankle injury. It was Theismannesque.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Do NOT watch the video of the Angels' Jake Jewell's ankle injury. It was Theismannesque.
I was watching the game and didn't realize how bad that was. They only showed one replay. He didn't even get hit by anyone else, his foot just sort of got caught as he was sliding. Poor kid.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

What happened at the Nats vs Phillies game just now? Vince Velasquez made a great throw on a comebacker off the mound with his left hand (he's a rightie) and then immediately fell to the ground in severe pain. This doesn't look good at all.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:14 PM

Michael Lorenzen is a fucking stud with the bat in his hands. Reds put up an 8-spot on the Brewers in the 7th to take a 10-3 lead!

I am telling you, the Reds have some good young talent. It's just not quite ready yet.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
What happened at the Nats vs Phillies game just now? Vince Velasquez made a great throw on a comebacker off the mound with his left hand (he's a rightie) and then immediately fell to the ground in severe pain. This doesn't look good at all.
He got hit by a hard line drive. Nothing broken after x-rays. That was an amazing throw.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:16 PM

Wow. That was...quite a play. Impressed as much as anything else with his presence of mind to a) go after the ball and b) shuck off the glove.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:57 PM

Here's the link you boogers are neglecting to include.

What a remarkable "wrong" handed throw. If I tried that the ball would have dribbled harmlessly into foul territory.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:11 AM

Great moments in sportswriting

From Sports Illustrated's online account of the Red Sox' 11-0 win over the Yankees last night:

"Heath Hembree and Hector Velazquez closed it out with a hitless inning each. Velazquez gave up a groundball single to Gleyber Torres in the ninth for New York's second hit."

And now we'll go to commercial while we bring in a relief editor.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

July thread here