Old 07-24-2018, 12:05 PM

In light of the recent "I finally figured out what was wrong with The Last Jedi" discussion, I've finally figured out what was wrong with Solo (at least for me): It focuses too much on one character. I think instead of calling it "Solo," you call it "Crimson Dawn," and it becomes about the rise of a crime syndicate, with Han Solo and his Kessel Run playing a role in the story. Solo's "failure" could be because people don't want to see movies that are just about character development for the sake of character development or fan service.

I don't want to see a movie called "Kenobi." But I would like to see a movie about crime and the Hutts on Tattooine during the period between Ep. III and Ep IV, and have Obi-Wan play a role. Or maybe a movie about Mandalore, where Obi-Wan takes part in the story.

They should stick to telling stories, not fleshing out characters or featuring backstories just for the sake of fleshing out characters or fan service. Now granted, the movie Solo did set up the story of Crimson Dawn and Qira and Maul (which will hopefully continue in future movies or shows), but that story took a backseat to "Come and see young Han Solo and how he met Chewie and how he did the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs!!" Bah. I don't care about that shit, I care about new stories.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 07-24-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
In light of the recent "I finally figured out what was wrong with The Last Jedi" discussion, I've finally figured out what was wrong with Solo (at least for me): It focuses too much on one character. I think instead of calling it "Solo," you call it "Crimson Dawn," and it becomes about the rise of a crime syndicate, with Han Solo and his Kessel Run playing a role in the story. Solo's "failure" could be because people don't want to see movies that are just about character development for the sake of character development or fan service.

I don't want to see a movie called "Kenobi." But I would like to see a movie about crime and the Hutts on Tattooine during the period between Ep. III and Ep IV, and have Obi-Wan play a role. Or maybe a movie about Mandalore, where Obi-Wan takes part in the story.

They should stick to telling stories, not fleshing out characters or featuring backstories just for the sake of fleshing out characters or fan service. Now granted, the movie Solo did set up the story of Crimson Dawn and Qira and Maul (which will hopefully continue in future movies or shows), but that story took a backseat to "Come and see young Han Solo and how he met Chewie and how he did the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs!!" Bah. I don't care about that shit, I care about new stories.
This is also why Rogue One is a better movie by a lot. Yes, the Death Star getting blowed-up was old, but the characters and story was pretty much new.

I still think Episode VII is the best of the new bunch, but Rogue One was a lot better than I first thought. It has really grown with multiple viewings.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
That being said, I do think this was probably a turn-off for people in regard to Solo. Everyone knew there would be no Force-using badassery in this movie since Han didn't believe in that nonsense at the beginning of ANH. I think they could've used more Maul, shown him in action a bit behind the scenes of Crimson Dawn instead of just a surprise cameo at the end.
You bring up a good point. If there is a sequel, at no point could Solo see Maul in action, otherwise it contradicts his skepticism of the force.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Of the tossed-around proposals, Kenobi is literally the only standalone I want to see. Ewan was the bright spot of the Prequels. They can wait a bit on this though, as he certainly is aging quite well (looks barely older than he did in ROTS). But yeah, I get what you mean, it shouldn't be solely about one character.

Last edited by Ashtura; 07-24-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
In light of the recent "I finally figured out what was wrong with The Last Jedi" discussion
Link? Sounds interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
This is also why Rogue One is a better movie by a lot. Yes, the Death Star getting blowed-up was old, but the characters and story was pretty much new.

I still think Episode VII is the best of the new bunch, but Rogue One was a lot better than I first thought. It has really grown with multiple viewings.
I have only seen it once, but I liked it a lot. Itís the only one of the Disney SW movies I really like, in fact.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Link? Sounds interesting.
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=859018
Old 07-27-2018, 09:19 PM

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2018, 04:57 PM

For the record, Box Office Mojo now has both SOLO and SUPERMAN RETURNS sitting at $391M and change (and with SOLO having just pulled ahead).
Old 08-06-2018, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Here's my ranking of the new movies.

Rogue One >>> The Force Awakens > Solo >>>>>>> The Last Jedi

And depending on how bitter I am about the derivative-ness of TFA, I will sometimes move Solo up a spot.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:48 PM

Mine is TLJ > R1 > TFA >>> Solo. Funny how tastes can differ so wildly.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:56 PM

Alright, since we're doing this:

R1 > TFA > Solo > TLJ
Old 08-06-2018, 05:59 PM

I did like Solo, I just thought it was a significant step down from the other 3, which I thought were the best since the original trilogy.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:35 AM

Quote:

R1 > TFA > Solo > TLJ
R1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> TLJ > Solo > TFA
Old 08-20-2018, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

R1 > TFA > Solo > TLJ
I can endorse this order for the new films. For me, R1 is in the running for the best Star Wars films out of the lot.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I can endorse this order for the new films. For me, R1 is in the running for the best Star Wars films out of the lot.
For me, the original 1977 film is clearly the best. But R1 edges out ESB for second place.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:00 AM

Oh we got something going on here:
R1<TLJ<Solo<TFA
Old 09-02-2018, 07:00 AM

I liked both TFA and TLJ considerably better than R1 and Solo, and TLJ is very close to beating New Hope for my 2nd favourite Star Wars film after Empire Strikes Back. I'd put it at something like this:

TLJ >>> TFA >> R1 > Solo