Old 03-27-2019, 04:20 PM

Borderlands 3(?) teaser, Mask of Mayhem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XINdOBDgKok

Woohoo,
Been waiting for this one for a looooong time. I won't even mention how many hours I have into BL2, Because most people would say I'm a liar, and the rest would think me very weird and without of life.

Nothing close to game play I saw in there, but progress is progress.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:30 PM

So excited I forgot to say the real announcement is tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:03 PM

Awesome! I've got thousands of hours in BL2, and I've been looking forward to this.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:05 PM

BWWWWWAAAAAAAAHHAAAAAAHAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOWOOOOOOOWHHHHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAABWAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

And I haven't even watched the link yet.

Wife and I loved playing the Borderlandses together and have been waiting for a new one for a while. I'm going to use it as an excuse to get new matching gaming computers.

ETA: Watched the trailer, and just want to add:

BWWWWWAAAAAAAAHHAAAAAAHAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOWOOOOOOOWHHHHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAABWAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 03-27-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:20 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Is the game going to be console only?
Old 03-27-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Is the game going to be console only?
Waitwaitwait.....what....
Old 03-27-2019, 07:58 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I've seen nothing so far to indicate the game going to be on anything but consoles, I'm hoping somebody can clear it up...
Old 03-27-2019, 08:02 PM

I am assuming tomorrow's announcement will address that, but I have seen nothing to suggest they would abandon PCs at this point.

Last edited by wolfman; 03-27-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:38 PM

Trailer with gameplay is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwAQeqtl6PQ

looks good to me, the running gun is funny as hell , lots of more varied terrain it seems
Unfortunately they didn't give any actual details at all. Real news to come April 3 reportedly.

Last edited by wolfman; 03-28-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
the running gun is funny as hell
WE GOT YOU, BOO

Yeah, I can't wait for it! More Borderlands goodness, with some familiar faces, pretty stuff to look at, and some new ideas thrown in. And how many guns did it say? A bazillion? I'm in.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:09 PM

Me and my kids are super excited! They are looking forward to another 60+ hours of hauling their old man through worlds of chaos!
Old 03-28-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPrefect View Post
Me and my kids are super excited! They are looking forward to another 60+ hours of hauling their old man through worlds of chaos!
Yeah come to think of it, our oldest and maybe middle will be old enough to play this by the time it comes out. What are the prospects for cross-platform co-op ya think?

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 03-28-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:32 PM

Played all the previous Borderlands (even the Tell Tale Games version) so I’m definitely playing this one.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Trailer with gameplay is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwAQeqtl6PQ
I am very very happy right now.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:41 AM

A billion guns? How is that even possible? Or am I being whooshed by the comedy game?

Last edited by Sir T-Cups; 03-29-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
A billion guns? How is that even possible? Or am I being whooshed by the comedy game?
Very well may be possible...one of the neat things about B-lands is that gun drops are somewhat randomly generated. There are several different qualities/stats/abilities for any one gun, and the system throws a handful of stuff together to make a 'unique' gun.

So what they probably mean is a billion possible combinations of gun qualities.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:

It's kind of a "cheat" statistic, albeit a true one typically - this one might be hyperbole, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

The gist of it is that for each type of gun (pistol, revolver, rifle, sniper rifle, shotty, SMG, HMG, RPG, laser + grenades & shields) there are a number of different manufacturers that each have their specific quirks ; and each manufacturer also has a number of possible mods that can further apply to a given gun. So for any given gun type you can have maybe a thousand combination of configurations. Throw in elemental damage (e.g guns that shoot acid bullets instead of bullet bullets) of which there are 5 or 6, you're up to some 10.000+ unique guns. Multiply by the 65ish levels each individual gun configuration can drop (each with their different stats) and you're over half a million already. Multiply by 5 more for the rarity levels. And that's just tallying up the random guns that can drop anywhere. But there are also dozens of special guns with unique perks (like that walking gun in the video), each of which also comes in 65+ separate levels and with a number of possible mod combinations.

It all adds up to the millions, all told - they really did the math back when the first game was released and it's been a marketing selling point ever since. It's not really a *meaningful* total, because at the end of the day a Green Dahl Extended Mag Scoped Pistol (lvl 12) isn't functionally different from a Green Dahl Extended Mag Scoped Pistol (lvl 13). They both handle exactly the same, have the same effect, are affected by the exact same character skills and so on. The second one just makes slightly bigger numbers pop off of enemies.

But that being said, those games really do have a great variety in terms of gun feels, strategies, what people look for in their guns, which combos they favor etc...

Last edited by Kobal2; 03-29-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

For owners of Borderlands, a remastered Borderlands Game of the Year Edition will be available April 3, for FREE!
Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM

Rumor is that 3 will have customizable pieces on the guns as well, so that you can exchange an element for one you like better, or something.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Yeah come to think of it, our oldest and maybe middle will be old enough to play this by the time it comes out. What are the prospects for cross-platform co-op ya think?
I don't know... I wouldn't hold my breath for cross-platform but it would be cool if they did.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Oh my God. Yes, please. Yes please a billion times for the billion guns.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:46 PM

I'm a bit cautious, almost all the writers that made BL2 good are gone now.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
I'm a bit cautious, almost all the writers that made BL2 good are gone now.
Maybe now there’ll be writers known for making BL3 good.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:04 PM

im suprised its still on pandora because they made refrences that there were vaults on other planets …...even showed a map behind Lilith at the end of BL2
Old 03-30-2019, 09:10 PM

oh wow ok maybe they go other places but I think some fav characters are gonna die...…
Old 03-30-2019, 10:32 PM

My WAG based off of zero research says that the vaults are all on desolate planets, because settled planets have all been searched already. Combine this with the direction online gaming is going and maybe we'll be playing on multiple worlds, like in SW:TOR, as we search for vaults.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
oh wow ok maybe they go other places but I think some fav characters are gonna die...…
I saw Brick, Lilith, Marcus, and Ellie in the trailer. Who else was there?
Old 03-31-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I saw Brick, Lilith, Marcus, and Ellie in the trailer. Who else was there?

I also spotted Tina (who's no longer Tiny), Mordecai, Zer0 (who seems to have turned villain henchman ? Not sure who that is with the vault-hologram hand thingy, is he the MC of Tales ?), Marcus (who seems to have taken a level in badass), Sir Hammerlock and Tannis.
No Miss Moxxie, now that I think about it. Which is mildly intriguing, considering her... rhetorical devices are usually put forward in BL trailers. Both literally and metaphorically.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
, Sir Hammerlock
And his sister.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:03 PM

Release date is official, and pre-purchase is up.

I probably won't pre-purchase, I'm not that keen on the extra stuff. Maybe I will, I donno.

System specs are still pending, though.

Not too long ago, there was this one dude (can't remember who, off the top of my head) who was going to get new matching gaming computers for himself and his wife just for this game.

What, if I talk to him any time soon, does the computer-spec-fluent public think is likely sufficient to run this game as pretty as a 1080 display will take advantage of?

This guy builds a new gaming machine every 10 years or so, so he doesn't keep up with the technology and just researches like a mofo when it's time to go. Which I guess he COULD do, but he's, like, busy and shit.

Oop...he just, uh, texted me that his wife isn't that concerned about what the game looks like necessarily. I'm guessing my hjs current machine will run it at a tolerable level for her.

So maybe they're just down to 1 new machine. Which means my friend has a little more wiggle room, and may be looking at something that will run at 4k.

Lucky guy.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 04-03-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:23 PM

Man, this guy is chatty tonight. He just Snapchatted me or something, and wondered if for cryin' out loud, it's just better anymore to buy a PC from somewhere reputable instead of searching for the best price on parts.

He may have $500 or $1500, depending on how much of the remodeling budget he can divert, and how much cool shit also needs to be included in the master bath.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 04-03-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Man, this guy is chatty tonight. He just Snapchatted me or something, and wondered if for cryin' out loud, it's just better anymore to buy a PC from somewhere reputable instead of searching for the best price on parts.

He may have $500 or $1500, depending on how much of the remodeling budget he can divert, and how much cool shit also needs to be included in the master bath.

I used to be like your friend - "Man, those retail PCs are a racket, why would I buy one when I can build a better one cheaper (and not have it be riddled with useless programs and trackers to boot) !".

But the time and effort required to do research and investigate compatibilities and bottlenecks and return that one component that actually doesn't work, and the interminable partitioning and windows installing etc, etc... just got to me over the years.

Now that I have a little bit of money, I've become the poster child for "fuck it, let me just fling currency in your general direction, all I need to know is : can you have it here with everything in working order by end of week ?"

Last edited by Kobal2; 04-04-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I used to be like your friend - "Man, those retail PCs are a racket, why would I buy one when I can build a better one cheaper (and not have it be riddled with useless programs and trackers to boot) !".

But the time and effort required to do research and investigate compatibilities and bottlenecks and return that one component that actually doesn't work, and the interminable partitioning and windows installing etc, etc... just got to me over the years.

Now that I have a little bit of money, I've become the poster child for "fuck it, let me just fling currency in your general direction, all I need to know is : can you have it here with everything in working order by end of week ?"
I started poking around at builds last night, and started getting the itch..we'll see when the time comes! Still, looks like if all I want to do is play at 1080p on the highest possible settings, a pre-built that can do that is probably only in the $1000 range?

Cross-platform co-op likely a thing, with X-Box One anyway.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:38 AM

What are people's thoughts on the fact that it will be an Epic exclusive for a time before launching on steam? Lots of twisted knickers on reddit about it.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
What are people's thoughts on the fact that it will be an Epic exclusive for a time before launching on steam? Lots of twisted knickers on reddit about it.
I haven't delved deeply in to the knicker-twisting, but I don't see what the big deal is. Why should Epic be committed to releasing on Steam immediately? Steam is a game-distribution platform, not a public utility. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Steam, but I also have the Epic Launcher and it's been fine for a few games.

OOOOohhhhhh. Something just occurred to me. Epic started releasing free games through their launcher earlier this year. I'll bet that was geared toward the launch of Borderlands.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:59 AM

I perused the site but got lost in the imagery and telling me to get the ultra super-duper deluxe version....

When does this come out?

September?
Old 04-04-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that was an instant deal breaker, at least until it launches on steam. The epic launcher is cancer.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What are people's thoughts on the fact that it will be an Epic exclusive for a time before launching on steam?
I don't care about it being an Epic exclusive; I do care about some of the shenanigans the Epic Games client is alleged to do.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
OOOOohhhhhh. Something just occurred to me. Epic started releasing free games through their launcher earlier this year. I'll bet that was geared toward the launch of Borderlands.
Nah, they've been trying to build up their platform for months and BL3 is far from their first exclusive. Basically they're taking all that Fortnite cash and throwing bags of money at publishers for exclusive distribution rights so people have to go to them instead of Steam.

My main issue with it is that it's ultimately anti-consumer. It doesn't make Epic into competition to Steam, it makes Epic a monopoly for those titles. Steam isn't really the same for an important reason: Valve gives publishers 3rd party retail keys (and generated/redeems them for free) so when a game is "on Steam", it's available for purchase from Steam, Green Man Gaming, Gamersgate, Amazon Digital, Gamestop digital, Fanatical, Humble Store and more, all competing on price and having sales and coupons, etc. The customer has a chance to shop around and find the best price and redeem the game on Steam. When Epic does these exclusives, they are the sole point of purchase* and so the customer is forced to pay whatever Epic is asking. It's the opposite of competition.

*Ubisoft is the sole sort-of exception since Division 2 can be purchased from both Epic and from the Ubi store but Ubi isn't allowed to sell copies via 3rd parties like they used to.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:13 AM

Yes, nobody would be installing the Epic game launcher if it was a straight choice between them and steam. If this works it will be seen as the way to launch a new game platform.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Nah, they've been trying to build up their platform for months and BL3 is far from their first exclusive. Basically they're taking all that Fortnite cash and throwing bags of money at publishers for exclusive distribution rights so people have to go to them instead of Steam.

My main issue with it is that it's ultimately anti-consumer. It doesn't make Epic into competition to Steam, it makes Epic a monopoly for those titles. Steam isn't really the same for an important reason: Valve gives publishers 3rd party retail keys (and generated/redeems them for free) so when a game is "on Steam", it's available for purchase from Steam, Green Man Gaming, Gamersgate, Amazon Digital, Gamestop digital, Fanatical, Humble Store and more, all competing on price and having sales and coupons, etc. The customer has a chance to shop around and find the best price and redeem the game on Steam. When Epic does these exclusives, they are the sole point of purchase* and so the customer is forced to pay whatever Epic is asking. It's the opposite of competition.

*Ubisoft is the sole sort-of exception since Division 2 can be purchased from both Epic and from the Ubi store but Ubi isn't allowed to sell copies via 3rd parties like they used to.
But why do you feel like you're entitled to be able to shop around for the cheapest price on a game? I won't deny that's great, but it's Epic's game...they should be able to charge what they want and distribute their game how they like. I may or may not buy it on release, I might be too busy and wait for winter. If it's still $60, IDGAF. I've been waiting to play it for this long, and when I get around to it I'll pay what it's going for. Or actually what 2 copies are going for.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
But why do you feel like you're entitled to be able to shop around for the cheapest price on a game?
What entitled? I said that it's poor for consumers. It is. It reduces competition and means consumers don't see the benefit of lower pricing. "Entitled" has nothing to do with it. It's objectively worse for game consumers than when games are available on Steam and thus are in the open market with 5-10+ different places working to get your business. The real joke is that Epic launched itself with glowing self-praise about how pro-consumer they were because Steam had "competition" but there's a distinct difference between competition as a game platform and competition as a market outlet.

Last edited by Jophiel; 04-04-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:39 AM

Well I'll turn it around then. Why should Epic be obligated to do what's (or what you consider to be) good for consumers? As far as I'm concerned, they're doing something very, very good for me, a consumer. They developed a game I've been waiting on for years, and they're going to let me buy it in September for $60.

Some studios may find for whatever reason that releasing their game on Steam and other platforms is the way to go. But I doubt they're doing it because it's the best thing for the consumer.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 04-04-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Well I'll turn it around then. Why should Epic be obligated to do what's (or what you consider to be) good for consumers?
They're not. But I'm not sure why you're so defensive about people talking about it. Epic doesn't owe anyone shit and we don't owe Epic shit. Epic is, presumably, out to get our money so an informed consumer should know be aware and make their decisions accordingly.
Quote:
They developed a game I've been waiting on for years, and they're going to let me buy it in September for $60.
No they didn't. 2K/Gearbox developed a game. Epic just threw a bag of money at them for the exclusive distribution rights. Epic didn't develop anything in this scenario any more than Walmart develops the merchandise lines that they exclusively sell.

Last edited by Jophiel; 04-04-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I perused the site but got lost in the imagery and telling me to get the ultra super-duper deluxe version....

When does this come out?

September?
September on consoles and PC via Epic, March on Steam.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
They're not. But I'm not sure why you're so defensive about people talking about it. Epic doesn't owe anyone shit and we don't owe Epic shit. Epic is, presumably, out to get our money so an informed consumer should know be aware and make their decisions accordingly.

No they didn't. 2K/Gearbox developed a game. Epic just threw a bag of money at them for the exclusive distribution rights. Epic didn't develop anything in this scenario any more than Walmart develops the merchandise lines that they exclusively sell.
Fair enough, doesn't matter one way or the other.

I'm not defensive about people talking about it, it just seems like much ado about nothing. Or like a bunch of people want to be able to buy a highly anticipated AAA game for $35 a month after release because reasons.

ETA:

Quote:
September on consoles and PC via Epic, March on Steam.
ANOTHER point...it's not like it's locked up in Epic's launcher vault for evernever. Just pretend the real release isn't until March, and it'll be a better version by then because there'll be patches.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 04-04-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I'm not defensive about people talking about it, it just seems like much ado about nothing.
We all weigh things differently. I enjoyed Borderlands 1/2 but not enough to be blindly excited about it and I think that Epic's anti-consumer behavior is worth addressing. I certainly can't make you care (or really want to) but the topic of why some people were opposed to Epic came up and I was offering one perspective. It has nothing to do with "entitlement" or demanding 50% off games a month after release (which hasn't really been a thing for years unless a game bombs).
Old 04-04-2019, 11:56 AM

If being an epic exclusive for 6 months means gearbox has the money to keep making borderlands games, then I'm all for it and I'll be waiting in 2020 with 60 bucks for Steam.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
If being an epic exclusive for 6 months means gearbox has the money to keep making borderlands games
Yeah, I seriously doubt that the profitability of BL3 or chance at another game will ride on it being an Epic exclusive.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Ok, I went and read some articles about the Epic exclusivity, and read some *gag* reddit threads.

Based on what I found there, I double down on my 'entitlement' statements.