Old 04-19-2019, 01:48 PM

Well, that's settled.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:43 PM

I concur with all the posts in opposition to "like" buttons and their ilk. If I don't much care for some position or even where I do, it adds nothing to signify my agreement or disagreement without providing something to the conversation.

Respectfully yours Zuer-coli
Old 04-19-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuer-coli View Post
I concur with all the posts in opposition to "like" buttons and their ilk. If I don't much care for some position or even where I do, it adds nothing to signify my agreement or disagreement without providing something to the conversation.

Respectfully yours Zuer-coli
Exactly. That's what's wrong with Democracy. People just vote, which adds nothing. Every vote should have an accompanying essay to count.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
"Like"
"Meh".

See, we should have lots more buttons to cover a range of emotions, like:

"Fabulous!"
"O.K."
"Are you f**cking kidding me?"
"Meh"
and
"I like pie"
Old 04-20-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Exactly. That's what's wrong with Democracy. People just vote, which adds nothing. Every vote should have an accompanying essay to count.
The appropriate analogy with a "Like" button is (a) everybody votes on some particular issue, and (b) the results are posted on a website, and then absolutely nothing happens. I don't think that's how actual democracy works.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:08 AM

Just ran across a type of post that would benefit from a "like" button and where any kind of written response would not add to the conversation. Joke posts. There was a 2 word post that made me chuckle. Responding with "funny" wouldn't add to the conversation at all and would clutter up the thread. But it would be nice to show some appreciation for it.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:39 AM

Alas, you must love us from afar.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

What the board needs now
is likes, sweet likes...
Old 05-06-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yookeroo View Post
Just ran across a type of post that would benefit from a "like" button and where any kind of written response would not add to the conversation. Joke posts. There was a 2 word post that made me chuckle. Responding with "funny" wouldn't add to the conversation at all and would clutter up the thread. But it would be nice to show some appreciation for it.
Unfortunately, it just can't happen with the version of vBulletin currently in use.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:01 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Worse comes to worse, drop the poster a PM congratulating them on getting a laugh from you and adding some humor to it all. I've done as much and gotten a couple like that; they have always been appreciated. In other words praise that isn't public is still a worthwhile endeavor.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:51 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Unfortunately, it just can't happen with the version of vBulletin currently in use.
You misspelled "fortunately."
Old 05-11-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:

"Like"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Worse comes to worse, drop the poster a PM congratulating them on getting a laugh from you and adding some humor to it all. I've done as much and gotten a couple like that; they have always been appreciated. In other words praise that isn't public is still a worthwhile endeavor.

That's not a terrible idea, but (1) it takes more time than most people want to spend; (2) it awkwardly starts a conversation that people might not really care to get tied up in; (3) public recognition is way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
You misspelled "fortunately."

Riiight, because the existence of a little icon below a post, with a little number next to it, would just ruin that post--or the entire board.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:10 PM

And the absence of said little icon would do the same.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:49 PM

Do you really think the benefits of its presence for those who value them are somehow less than the drawbacks(?) for those who don’t? How does that work?
Old 05-11-2019, 01:56 PM

I think the "benefits" are so small as to be negligible.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:59 PM

I like the idea of some kind of ‘Like’ button.

I don’t post regularly as I’m somewhat intimidated by the board as a whole and don’t think my posts would be intelligent or interesting enough to share. I do read many posts though that I’d like to give a thumbs up to or some kind of recognition to.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Mere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddie View Post
I like the idea of some kind of ĎLikeí button.

I donít post regularly as Iím somewhat intimidated by the board as a whole and donít think my posts would be intelligent or interesting enough to share. I do read many posts though that Iíd like to give a thumbs up to or some kind of recognition to.
The bolded part never stops ME.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
The bolded part never stops ME.
I fear being made to look stupid

I know it wouldnít matter a jot but I like this place and to be shot down in flames would bother me, silly I know.

Itís just Iíve seen new posters here or people who donít post regularly post on a thread and theyíve been made to feel very unwelcome or their post has been seen as completely superfluous so thatís a reason I donít post as and when Iíd like to.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Suppose there were some magic code that let us give a thumb's up that disappeared after24 hours?

Can't we all just get along?
Old 05-11-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I think the "benefits" are so small as to be negligible.

And yet.

--Many other posters here have made it clear that they feel differently.

--The largest platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Reddit) that dwarf this board's traffic by many orders of magnitude operate differently.

--And again: those who don't value it would not lose anything. There are all kinds of icons and errata all over the place around posts as it is. One more teensy icon would not hurt anyone. You could just completely ignore it and not have it change your experience in any way.

--Therefore, it's hard to interpret opposition as anything but peevishness.

Quote:
I like the idea of some kind of ĎLikeí button.

I donít post regularly as Iím somewhat intimidated by the board as a whole and donít think my posts would be intelligent or interesting enough to share. I do read many posts though that Iíd like to give a thumbs up to or some kind of recognition to.

This is a good point too, that as an active poster hadn't occurred to me as much as other advantages. For the lurker, a like button allows them to interact with the board, risk free. Interacting makes someone more engaged with the board, and more likely to stick around.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Suppose there were some magic code that let us give a thumb's up that disappeared after24 hours?

Can't we all just get along?
A thumbs up that disappears in 24hrs would be great.

I don’t want to give thumbs up/down rating like Facebook, I’d just like to be able to give a poster know that their post has struck a cord with me and I agree with them.

Last edited by Teddie; 05-11-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:52 PM

Just to clarify, Facebook does not have thumbs down--nor does Twitter. That's Reddit, and I wouldn't support a system like that. Twitter's is the model IMO: you can click the little heart, or you can not click it. No other option.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify, Facebook does not have thumbs down--nor does Twitter. That's Reddit, and I wouldn't support a system like that. Twitter's is the model IMO: you can click the little heart, or you can not click it. No other option.
Ok that’s cool. Do you get to see If a person has agreed with your post?

I’d like to know that people on this message board have made a post that I agree with.

I could tell an awful lot of posters here that their posts make me want to scream and call them the biggest prick in the world but I don’t have the time of day for that.

I also have the greatest respect for so many people here, iiandyiiii being one of them, along with Guin and Helena330

Last edited by Teddie; 05-11-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:27 PM
Mere Member

Thank you for the compliment up there, Teddie. ^^

Quote:
I fear being made to look stupid

I know it wouldn’t matter a jot but I like this place and to be shot down in flames would bother me, silly I know.

It’s just I’ve seen new posters here or people who don’t post regularly post on a thread and they’ve been made to feel very unwelcome or their post has been seen as completely superfluous so that’s a reason I don’t post as and when I’d like to.
It's not silly. I know those feelings and they're disheartening.

What really bothers me is when a newbie bumps a zombie and people are mean to or make fun of them. I try to post a nice note if I see it, but I don't recall a single newbie that's returned.

Last edited by Helena330; 05-11-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
... the existence of a little icon below a post, with a little number next to it, would just ruin that post--or the entire board.
"Like"
Old 05-12-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Ok thatís cool. Do you get to see If a person has agreed with your post?

Yup. If you go back and look at something you have tweeted, you can see a heart below the tweet with a number next to it. That shows how many people have ďlikedĒ it. If you click that to see more, you can see who specifically liked it.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:33 AM

If we don't also get "dislike", "I want to have this poster's children", "this post is full of shit", "meh" and "I like pie" buttons, the whole concept is meaningless and will lead to board oblivion.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:30 AM

I'm afraid if there is a LIKE button, some unscrupulous bot will search for all the businesses that have a product that's minutely tangential to the subject line and get them to spam me. IOW, the reason I don't use FB.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I'm afraid if there is a LIKE button, some unscrupulous bot will search for all the businesses that have a product that's minutely tangential to the subject line and get them to spam me. IOW, the reason I don't use FB.

How is that not already possible just from searching for posts in a thread?
Old 05-14-2019, 05:34 PM

I just don't see the point in a "like" button here. Are some of us really that insecure that we have to hope for random, nameless validation?
Old 05-14-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I just don't see the point in a "like" button here. Are some of us really that insecure that we have to hope for random, nameless validation?

I guess this is just a drive-by post, and you didn't read the thread?
Old 05-14-2019, 06:31 PM

I've posted in this thread a few times before, and that would at least be a clue that I've read the thread. Since you keep pressing the issue of "likes," I'm guessing that at least one person needs that validation. That would be you.

It's okay. You can admit that you need a safe space. We're all friends here.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:03 PM

Sure, I'd like that validation. But more importantly, I'd like to GIVE others' posts "likes". I'm probably one of or the most likely on this whole board to quote a post and add an "LOL" or "Cosigned", even though I know it's sort of against the board culture.

Your comment that I responded to shows no sign of having read or digested any of the "like" supporters' arguments, which is why I responded as I did.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:55 PM

What about a third-party like system

What if someone made a browser plugin that injects the "like" feature onto the straight dope message boards? The back-end could be a google docs spreadsheet or something.

So you visit a page, then after the first render, for every post on the page the plugin fetches the number of "likes" from the remote document (or its cache if within X minutes) and displays it as a little number in a heart icon next to the post number. If you click on that icon the plugin sends a request to remote document to add/remove your name from the list for that post. If you hover over the icon for a second then it shows a list of all the usernames who voted for the post.

Authentication might be a problem - the user will probably need a signed-in Google cookie or the plugin should prompt the user to log-in via Google. To prevent abuse the remote document needs a maintainer, and one way to keep things clean is to require new users to ask (PM) the maintainer for permissions on a per-Google-account basis.

Browser plugins are opt-in by their nature so people without the plugin wouldn't see a difference. This could work without any action by the administration.

But at that point, might as well make the browser plugin into a vBulletin plugin and offload that responsibility on the administration. Right?

~Max

Last edited by Max S.; 05-14-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think it would be nice to show appreciation for a post I like without a dumb "me too" post. Especially if I have nothing to add. The probably reason I'd "like" a post is because they've said what I want to say, but done it better than I could. My repeating the same point over again is far worse then a "like".
So you have nothing to add but would still like to add something? I think that describes "like" buttons pretty well.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:34 PM

Why so snarky about people who simply want to give a friendly little nod of approval to something they encounter? Do you also believe standup comedians should have to perform in isolation chambers, with their acts being projected up on a screen in another room where they can't hear or see the audience reaction to each joke?
Old 05-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Why so snarky about people who simply want to give a friendly little nod of approval to something they encounter? Do you also believe standup comedians should have to perform in isolation chambers, with their acts being projected up on a screen in another room where they can't hear or see the audience reaction to each joke?
What part of "This version of vBulletin doesn't have that feature, and The Powers That Be have indicated they have no plans to update to another version for the time being" is everyone having so much trouble understanding? You can want it till the cows come home, y'all can want it three part harmony, you can want it with a cherry on top, you can want it while wearing rings on your fingers and bells on your toes...but you can't always get what you want.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:01 PM

Why quote my post (which had nothing about these technical details) and give that response? If you think the point is moot, there's a little feature called "unsubscribe from thread" which DOES work. Meanwhile, anyone else participating presumably is well aware of this information, and would still like to discuss the merits of having "likes" as so many other platforms do.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I find irony in adding something when one has nothing to add. It's something of a paradox.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Only if said comedian's medium of choice was an internet forum. There's no way of getting around it: you can't see me and I can't see you, we can only communicate through the written word as projected onto a monitor.

I'm not sure if the above quote was directed at my post but it was an accident that I threaded post #134 under #133. I did not mean to respond to you or anyone in particular. I just saw the thread in my subscriptions list and realized that it is in fact possible to add a client-side feature to the board without the cooperation of involving the board administrators.

~Max

Last edited by Max S.; 05-15-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:49 PM

I would definitely add such a browser extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
I find irony in adding something when one has nothing to add. It's something of a paradox.

Is it, though? I assume if you go see someone speak, you applaud when they finish. Maybe you even applaud certain things they say along the way. You don’t line up with ohers to get the microphone for the Q&A afterward just to say “I really liked what you said about Medicare for All”, pass the mic, and then go sit back down. That would waste everyone’s time, just as a “Me Too” post does. Your applause at that point was sufficient. But it wasn’t irrelevant, or a paradox. It’s useful for the speaker and everyone else in attendance to have that quick, simple gauge of people’s sentiment.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 05-15-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:15 PM

If the SDMB has another act, it would be wise to look at forum software that isn't vBulletin. Discourse is free to deploy/use, has more features, is more modern and, from my experience, is better liked by more admins and users. It has paid memberships, even Patreon integration, and likes (hearts) among other things.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Crap View Post
If the SDMB has another act, it would be wise to look at forum software that isn't vBulletin. Discourse is free to deploy/use, has more features, is more modern and, from my experience, is better liked by more admins and users. It has paid memberships, even Patreon integration, and likes (hearts) among other things.
The ad says it is free to try-what does it cost after the trial period?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
The ad says it is free to try-what does it cost after the trial period?
Apparently the levels are $100/mo., $300/mo., and "Call Us".
Old 05-17-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
The NaNoWriMo boards are porting to Discourse. It's fun to play on the test site while it's being built.

It does, indeed, have likes and badges (you get a badge the first time you like or get liked). While those are both good features for that particular board, I don't know if they'd be good for this one.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Apparently the levels are $100/mo., $300/mo., and "Call Us".

Discourse only costs money if you want the company to host your forum for you. The model is akin to Wordpress. If you have your own server, such as with DigitalOcean, Vultr, Amazon, etc., the price would be about $10/month for the minimum recommended specs.

edit: Also, the likes/hearts feature can easily be turned off in the configuration. It's available as a basic feature but optional.
edit2: It's also possible to import posts from vBulletin so you don't lose content.

Last edited by Dr. Crap; 05-17-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:03 PM

Mr. Atwood made a thread on this board back when he was developing Discourse.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=645142

~Max
Old 05-17-2019, 05:06 PM

To clarify, the $10/month is to the server provider. Theoretically, you could install Discourse to a $35 home server and not pay anything to a server provider either but the SDMB has too much activity for that to be feasible.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Discourse only costs money if you want the company to host your forum for you. The model is akin to Wordpress. If you have your own server, such as with DigitalOcean, Vultr, Amazon, etc., the price would be about $10/month for the minimum recommended specs.
So, new habitat but the same old hamsters?
Old 05-18-2019, 01:53 AM

What are the hamsters in this case?

Last edited by Dr. Crap; 05-18-2019 at 01:53 AM.