Old 09-23-2019, 07:05 PM

Of course a World Cup in Japan has highlights in a floating camera mode.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:45 PM

Wow, that technology is impressive, and it must take an absolute monster of a computer to process all the data and give a smooth video.

Still looks more like a video game than the real thing, though.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:21 PM

Yes, it's kind of uncanny valley stuff at the moment, but shows really great potential.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:48 AM

Uruguay v Fiji is insane. Uruguay up 19 to 12 after 30.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:51 PM

And congratulations to Uruguay, who manage the first significant upset of the World Cup, scoring a couple of highlight-reel tries along the way. Fiji looked nothing like the side that dominated Australia in the first half last week, and proved once again that even if you can score five tries, you still can't win without a kicker.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:02 AM

Five tries but only 27 points. One of the worst displays of goal kicking I've ever seen. Uruguay were immense though, really rising to the occasion. It was a great game to watch, with both sides attacking with abandon.

Italy v Canada and England v USA to come. Dare we hope for another upset?
Old 09-26-2019, 06:56 AM
I was curious...

Some great tackling from both sides at the start of this one. But then the US leave a big hole and George Ford nips in under the posts.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:44 AM
I was curious...

Not as dominant from England as the scoreline might suggest. But considering only a third of their starting XV was the same as the last game, and they were clearly experimenting with a few things on the field, I'll take it. World Cups aren't about blowing every team away, developing and building towards the KO stages and avoiding injury are much more important. This sort of planning should be a strength of the Jones set-up, I think.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:49 AM

Great game between Uruguay and Fiji. Despite the fact that Fiji scored five tries to Uruguay's three, and probably should have won if they had gotten some decent kicking, the Fijians never looked anywhere near as good as they did against Australia last week. Uruguay were great; their third try was fantastic, and they tackled well and were enthusiastic and committed at the breakdown from the first minute to the 80th.

Assuming that none of the Tier 2 sides can manage a win over either Australia or Wales, Uruguay can guarantee themselves a place in the 2023 World Cup with a win over Georgia.

Last edited by mhendo; 09-26-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
Not as dominant from England as the scoreline might suggest. But considering only a third of their starting XV was the same as the last game, and they were clearly experimenting with a few things on the field, I'll take it. World Cups aren't about blowing every team away, developing and building towards the KO stages and avoiding injury are much more important. This sort of planning should be a strength of the Jones set-up, I think.
I think they did pretty much exactly what they set out to do, no risks at all. That was a pretty good score against the USA and would have been a good bit higher without the slippy handling (not sure what that was, just greasy and sweaty I suppose).

First red of the tournament and I have to say it couldn't have been clearer. Took a little while to confirm it but really? It wasn't that tough a decision.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:43 AM
I was curious...

Agreed about the red. It's one thing to put in a hit like that in the heat of the moment when competing for possession; to do it about 3 seconds after an obvious knock-on that means you'll be getting the ball anyway is another (I mean, it was probably a red regardless of that, but it made it particularly egregious and unnecessary, not to mention idiotic).

Don't quite agree about "no risks at all" - I mean, the result was never in doubt after the first half, so I can forgive them being more expansive as the game wore on, but I reckon Jones will be quite cross about the fact they conceded right at the end, having had the opportunity to end the game more than once prior to that. OK, the seven points makes no difference, but what if someone had picked up an injury in that extra 90 seconds of unnecessary play? I felt they were deservedly punished by that USA score for that slight lack of professionalism. And Vunipola threw the ball away earlier on trying to prevent it going into touch - it fell to American hands and had they held it, could have been a breakaway. Better teams will punish us for such things, hopefully they are relatively easy to cut out; in both respects, much like the penalties at the breakdown vs Tonga.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:15 PM

I watched the Canada v Italy game, but England v USA was just too late for me.

Canada were their own worst enemy, after conceding a couple of quick tries earlier, they almost got back into the game in the first half, but every time they created a good chance they bombed it by dropping the last pass. Italy looked sharp and had some really good players, most impressive after such a short turnaround from their first game. Their loose trio all had storming games, and their little full back put in some great tackles to deny Canada time and again. While I doubt they will beat South Africa and New Zealand I think they probably deserve to make the quarters. They're certainly a lot better than I expected.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:21 AM
I was curious...

I didn't see the game, but it wouldn't surprise me if they flattered to deceive a bit against a weaker side. If they don't beat SA or NZ then they don't really 'deserve' to make the quarters. But they're definitely knocking on the door - I think if they can keep developing, QFs at the next World Cup is a realistic target for them.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
I think they did pretty much exactly what they set out to do, no risks at all. That was a pretty good score against the USA and would have been a good bit higher without the slippy handling (not sure what that was, just greasy and sweaty I suppose).

First red of the tournament and I have to say it couldn't have been clearer. Took a little while to confirm it but really? It wasn't that tough a decision.
Yes, what England wanted from their first two games was:

- 10 points
- everyone gets some playing time (unless still injured i.e. Mako Vunipola)
- no injuries (fortunately Farrell was not KO'd by the red card tackle)

I believe the stadium was enclosed and the humidity was high, which explains why the ball was harder to hold on to.

I think Piers Francis will get a ban after they review his high tackle.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I didn't see the game, but it wouldn't surprise me if they flattered to deceive a bit against a weaker side. If they don't beat SA or NZ then they don't really 'deserve' to make the quarters. But they're definitely knocking on the door - I think if they can keep developing, QFs at the next World Cup is a realistic target for them.
Good points, 'deserve' isn't quite the right word. I guess I meant to say that Italy is a team that wouldn't look out of place in a world cup quarter final. Just shows the standard of the Six Nations these days to be able to say that about the perennial wooden spooner.

England look to be a real contender for me. I can't see them losing to Argentina or France and wouldn't be surprised if they're in the mix to win it all.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:14 AM

Well that was ridiculously amazing.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:21 AM

I was surprised by that, Ireland looked as solid as anyone in their first match but Japan were just so well drilled and rapid to react. Ireland off the boil and there we go, Brighton all over again.

Really good for the tournament though, it always benefits from the reminder that anything is possible.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:49 AM

Japan winning v Ireland is good for the game in general.

If the game is to go world-wide, it must give countries apart from the 10 'tier 1' opportunities.

It would help, for example, if there was promotion and relegation from the Six Nations. Unfortunately the current 6 want to keep their revenue and haven't agreed.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:24 AM

One of the BBC reporters dubbed Japan The Land of the Scything Run
Old 09-28-2019, 12:47 PM

That was a game and a half from Japan. They dominated Ireland in the second half, to the point where the Irish were happy to kick the ball out on 80 minutes and protect their losing bonus point. Japan looked very well trained and very fit and you don't often say that about a Tier II side.

The result has left the pool wide open - Ireland can still guarantee a quarter-final with two bonus-point wins, Scotland are in last chance saloon but 3 from 3 probably still gets them through - and if they slip up against Samoa then Samoa have a real shot. Japan (and the organisers) must be praying that they don't do what they did last time - win 3 from 4 and go out on bonus points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
It would help, for example, if there was promotion and relegation from the Six Nations. Unfortunately the current 6 want to keep their revenue and haven't agreed.
The trouble with that is that it's not clear that relegating Italy - where they've been trying hard to get the game established - to bring in a weaker side for one season really helps the lesser nations any. (It doesn't help at all that the prospective replacement is Georgia, who are small, poor and distant.)
Old 09-28-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick View Post
it's not clear that relegating Italy - where they've been trying hard to get the game established - to bring in a weaker side for one season really helps the lesser nations any. (It doesn't help at all that the prospective replacement is Georgia, who are small, poor and distant.)
It is a tricky one, I'm a fan of promotion and relegation in priciple and I think I'd be in favour. Set up a second tier national tournament and each year the top of that league plays the bottom team of the six nations. Nothing like a bit of jeopardy to spice things up.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Set up a second tier national tournament and each year the top of that league plays the bottom team of the six nations.
Oh, I agree. If it was possible to set up a second-division with 6 teams that could give Italy/Georgia a competitive game and which would be financially sustainable, I'd be all in favour of a promotion/relegation system.

The trouble is that right now most of the teams in such a league would be at the Russia/Namibia/Canada level - i.e strictly Tier III and fodder for even the mid-tier nations. Given that, I don't think such a league would either be able to support itself or attract enough public interest to make the whole thing worthwhile. And the tiny player bases and lack of any organised competition below the national level will keep holding the weaker sides back. I don't know whether the best way to change this is to start from the bottom or the top.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:58 AM

AUS v WAL
AUS have made so many royal fuck-ups in first 5 minutes I suspect Michael Cheika is either apoplectic or had a coronary .
Old 09-29-2019, 04:04 AM

WAL at almost a point a minute and AUS yet to get possession inside the WAL quarter.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:39 AM

All Blacks will use videos of this half by AUS to put their children into contented sleep.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:24 AM

Game of two halfs so far (OK, we're only 2/3rds of the way though but the point stands)

Australia are awake this half and calling the shots now. Wales will be gutted if they let them back into it. Entertaining though!

Last edited by Novelty Bobble; 09-29-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:00 AM

Running rugby at it’s finest. Heh!
Right and deserved result (Wales 29 Australia 25)
Old 09-29-2019, 06:03 AM
I was curious...

Good game to watch for the neutral (i.e. I pretty much hate both of them ��). Australia just too many errors in the end, brilliant from Wales to keep that last penalty in touch, and they deserved to hold on in my opinion.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:12 AM

Heart-in-mouth stuff for Wales there - did just enough to hold on at the end.
Australia looked a different team when Toomua came on for Foley - around 60-65 minutes it looked like they might win comfortably. But ultimately the poor first half did for them - it's tough to come back from 3 scores down against a top defence.
Will Genia must be kicking himself for throwing that interception pass.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:35 AM
I was curious...

Probably irrelevant thought: I checked out the tournament rules and it appears (rule 2.3) that unlike the Six Nations, there are no extra points awarded for winning all your pool matches. So it is theoretically possible for a team winning 3 matches to top a pool ahead of a team that has won all 4 of their matches (if the team winning 4 matches gets 'only' 16 points, and the team winning three gets 4 tries in all their matches and loses the fourth by 7 points or fewer, those getting a total of 17 points). I assume the organisers didn't see this as a major problem since in that scenario both teams qualify for the KO anyway (and no other team could get close to them). Plus of course it's incredibly unlikely. Nevertheless, it feels a bit wrong that a team could win all its pool matches and finish second in the pool! They would be justifiably aggrieved if it meant they faced tougher QF opponents.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:54 AM

Well, a poor first half killed the Wallabies, and the excellent defense by Wales in the face of a lot of pressure meant that the comeback was always going to be difficult even with the Aussies playing a lot better in the second half. Overall, I thought Wales deserved to win the game.

If Australia want to advance beyond the quarter-finals in this tournament they'll need to replicate their second-half performance for the full 80 minutes, and even then it probably won't be enough. It looks like they'll have to get through England and the All Blacks to make the final, and I just can't see them doing it.

I don't like to criticize referees, especially when my team lost the game, but I'm still a bit annoyed about the penalty on Kerevi for leading with his forearm when he was tackled front-on by Rhys Patchell. The policing of what constitutes dangerous play has been inconsistent, at best, in this tournament. I don't think this one decision was enough to turn the match, but given that the Wallabies were on the attack and only five points down at the time, it certainly didn't help.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:56 PM
I was curious...

As an England, I am a bit worried by the prospect of facing the 'good' Australia - they could easily run up 3 or 4 tries without reply.

I think you make a fair point on the consistency of the refereeing - I thought the decision you refer to was probably correct, but what I don't quite understand was not receiving a yellow card for it - was it a bit of a fudge, or a good compromise? Compromise decisions are rarely right, since they just leave both sides unhappy .
Old 09-30-2019, 03:10 PM

I am currently on holiday in Malta and not seen a lot of what is going on, though I made time to watch Wales-Australia in a local bar. The Kerevi penalty is a penalty all day long and heís lucky he didnít get carded for it. Youíre allowed to hand off - itís even written in the law book - but the clues are in the words there; you have to use your hand. A forearm is not the hand and what Kerevi did constitutes foul play.

That it could stand to be refereed more doesnít detract from its illegality on the principle two wrongs donít make a right. Hooper talking to the ref afterwards about Patchellís tackling technique? That guy needs to wind his neck in - having already put in a late cheap shot with no intent to wrap his arms (thus not effecting a tackle) in this game and should have been carded himself. Chieka whinging after the game and after the Hodge suspension just reinforces that this is an area that they have not understood and should have prepared for. All weíve been hearing about in the rugby press up here in the lead in to the tournament is how the tackling laws would impact the outcome of games.

I fancy playing neither Wales nor Australia, as an England fan but the level of whining from the great Australian public all over my twitter feed (not that this is happening here) for the tournament is unbecoming. All this games gone soft stuff; rubbish. Itís a hard game with bigger and faster players than weíve ever had and the players need to be protected. The tackle laws have changed for that reason and calling them into question is retrograde. Move with the times.

I am lead to believe from match reports and so on that the reffing has not been good, and the guys in the middle have been thrown under the bus by World Rugby and are getting a lot of stick. Fair enough - but Poite in his game got the bulk of the major decisions right, in my - neutral - opinion. He could stand to do something about side entry at ruck and attacking players sealing he ball off at tackle by coming off their feet - but couldnít they all? Been a blight on the game for several years - no one seems to ref that set of laws.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:15 PM

One other quick thing - there is a 6 Nations B (it is the top division of a European Rugby Championship that runs all the way down to about 30 teams). It’s main problem is that, since the start of the decade, Georgia have a 85% or so winning record. It’s not good enough to keep that side developing. Absent actual promotion, there needs to be some way of pushing their standards forward, otherwise the game won’t grow. Blowed if I know what that something is though, if it’s not promotion/relegation with the main 6N
Old 09-30-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbrian View Post
I am lead to believe from match reports and so on that the reffing has not been good, and the guys in the middle have been thrown under the bus by World Rugby and are getting a lot of stick. Fair enough - but Poite in his game got the bulk of the major decisions right, in my - neutral - opinion. He could stand to do something about side entry at ruck and attacking players sealing he ball off at tackle by coming off their feet - but couldnít they all? Been a blight on the game for several years - no one seems to ref that set of laws.
It has been a little erratic but I think we have seen the possibility of strong refereeing bringing about player change. It is possibly bias viewing on my part but I don't think we've seen as many spear-tackles, man-in-the-air tackles, shoulder-into-the-ruck or neck rolls. That seems to suggest change is possible. Of course the difference with a standard tackle is that a) there are just so many more of them b) there is a greater element of split-second reaction and potential misjudgement at work.

That being the case it may take a while for the tackling drills and training to embed a more safety-first approach in the players. I think it is worth persevering with though. A hard tackle is a thing of beauty and I see no reason why we can't retain that and still minimise head-injuries.

You'll never get rid of the risk of course and where possible we do have to make an example of the most egregious incidents. The hit on Farrell was just shocking. He's very, very lucky not have put him in hospital and there were absolutely no mitigating circumstances. I really hope it was just a rush of blood because any degree of premeditation seems borderline criminal.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:14 AM

Well, this week's play has seen a string of predictable and/or largely irrelevant results. Scotland easily took care of Samoa, France comfortably beat the USA, the All blacks crushed Canada, Fiji and Ireland both had 35-point wins, and South Africa beat up on 14-man Italy in the second half to win 49-3.

I'm looking forward to the Australia-Uruguay game tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the Wallabies will win relatively comfortably, but I'd like to see Uruguay put up a good fight, especially after their great performance against Fiji.

It would be nice to see Argentina give England a run for their money, the way they did with France, but England looks to be a significantly better team than France at this World Cup, so I'm not holding my breath. I predict a pretty comfortable win for the English.

Pool A is really the only pool where there's any mystery about which teams make the quarter-finals, making Japan and Samoa probably the most interesting game tomorrow. If Japan win, but don't manage a bonus point, they go to 13 points in the pool. Then, if Scotland manages a win with a bonus point over Russia on Wednesday (a good possibility), Japan will be three points ahead of the Scots.

Japan must be favorite to go through right now, especially if they manage a bonus point against Samoa, but if Samoa can pull off an upset, it opens the the door wide for Scotland, and sets up a great contest between Scotland and Japan on the last day of pool play. Even if Japan wins and is four points ahead by the final day, it would still have some really interesting implications for the last game. Scotland would then have to win by more than 7 points, and/or would have to win while also scoring 4 tries, in order to make it through to the quarter-finals.

The tie-breaker for teams on equal points going through to the quarter-finals is based on which team wins the head-to-head matchup between the two tied teams. So if Scotland beats Japan on the final day, and the teams end up on the same number of points, then Scotland would go through. If Japan wins that game, the tie-breaker is moot because Japan would be comfortably ahead on points.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:57 AM
I was curious...

Presumably Ireland are also at risk in the event Scotland beat Japan? Especially if they miss out on a bonus point in their last game (unlikely, but you never know).
Old 10-04-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Presumably Ireland are also at risk in the event Scotland beat Japan? Especially if they miss out on a bonus point in their last game (unlikely, but you never know).
By my calculations, Ireland is safe as long as they beat Samoa. They don't even need the bonus point. If Ireland wins, even without a BP, they end up with 15 points.

If Scotland wins both of its last two games with a BP, the best it can do is 15 points, in which case Ireland would go in ahead of Scotland based on the head-to-head result of the game between the two teams.

If Japan wins both of its games, however, Ireland will enter the quarter-finals as the second seed from the pool, meaning they will likely face the All Blacks in the quarter final. Ouch! This means that, for Ireland, the best case scenario is for Scotland to win out and eliminate Japan.

Last edited by mhendo; 10-04-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:01 PM
I was curious...

Gotcha, makes sense - thanks. Seems harsh on Japan that they effectively have to remain unbeaten in the pool to progress, whereas Ireland and Scotland could both qualify while losing a game. Just the way the bonus points work, I guess.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Gotcha, makes sense - thanks. Seems harsh on Japan that they effectively have to remain unbeaten in the pool to progress, whereas Ireland and Scotland could both qualify while losing a game. Just the way the bonus points work, I guess.
There is still more than one way for Japan to lose a game and qualify.

If they lose against Samoa, but then beat Scotland, they could get in that way, depending on how BPs go.

If they beat Samoa, and then lose to Scotland by 7 or less, that would also likely get them in.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:41 PM

Week 2 has been a bit less unpredictable than week one, although Scotland and Fiji won by more than I expected.

England v Argentina should be the pick of the games tonight. England has been building nicely and a good win here will set them up well for the final round match against France. If Argentina can pull off an upset though that pool would become much more exciting.

South Africa looked good against Italy and Kolbe would be my pick for the most in form winger at the tournament. The Italian red card has to be the stupidest act of the tournament so far.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:41 PM
I was curious...

Another efficient performance by England, made a lot easier by the tournament's fifth red card early on. It was unfortunate but correct, I think - players have to take full responsibility for each others' safety. If it happened to a player on my team I might feel aggrieved - but it's Argentina, so fuck 'em.

On a similar note, it was good to see the two incidents involving much less serious contacts following failed charge down attempts refereed consistently across the two games - in both cases a penalty was given, as again it's up to the players to play safely, but since in both cases the contact was fairly minor and accidental, no card.

The only decision I saw today that I thought a bit odd was the yellow card for Samoa for a late tackle. The ITV commentary team were making out it was outrageously late and unnecessary, as far as I could see the ball had barely left the Japanese player's hands when the tackle came in and if the tackler had pulled out, the ball carrier may have simply not thrown the pass. Or am I way off base here?

Surely Owen Farrell needs to consider a career in boxing - he seems to have a great chin for it.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Surely Owen Farrell needs to consider a career in boxing - he seems to have a great chin for it.
He's taken two monster hits that would kill a lesser being but given his frst half kicking performance I think he felt the effect of it right enough. I'm not surprised a red was given, it was brutal, I am surprised he didn't have a HIA.

If I were Eddie Jones I'd seriously consider resting him for the France game, the first hit he seemed to shrug off, the second seemed to wobble him and we know that such things are cumulative. The lad needs some time out.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
players have to take full responsibility for each others' safety.
Patently Iím a dinosaur because I thought each players safety was primarily their own responsibility.

At the current trajectory players and coaches are going to see a match/championship winning advantage and inevitably become a strategy to put their own playerís safety in dire peril with the specific aim to take a head high hit and get their opponent sent off.
I thought that diving and feigning injury was a blight on soccer, rather than something to emulate but there you go.

Iím unconvinced the aim of rugby should not so much running to score tries but have refs blow the pea out of their whistles, and players standing in huddles while the great viewing paying public get to see interminable video slo-mo repeats.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:25 AM
I was curious...

I do agree with you - I think a good example was in Japan v Samoa, when Samoa were already down to 14 there was a slightly late contact with one of their players after a failed charge down. Initially, play carried on, but because the Samoa player stayed down, after several seconds the ref stopped play (with Japan having a promising attack) and in due course Samoa got the penalty. We don't want to see soccer-style gaming of the situation like that. On the other hand, if you leap towards a player from five yards out at full speed, miss the ball, and then smash into them in an uncontrolled way, I'm happy with that being a penalty against you. Similarly, if you want to put in a big hit leading with the shoulder, you have to go low and take the height of your target into account. It's not as if Farrell dipped into the tackle (which would definitely shift the blame if so).

But yes, we want to see thirty players on the field for 90 or so minutes, not 27 for 120 minutes.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:21 PM

It's tough. Given the risk of concussions the game has no option but to crack down on avoidable hits to the head even if they're unintentional. But no-one wants to see games decided by cards and endless delays for TMO. And currently they haven't got a solid consistent solution to the problem of the tackled player falling or ducking as the tackle is made - particularly if the he's shorter than the tackler.

There were a couple of yellow cards in New Zealand - Namibia that I thought were marginal. Both of them were arm-to-the-head on a falling opponent and it's all right to say "Don't go in with a swinging arm then!" but you're supposed to use the arms in a tackle and that's hard to to without moving them towards the person you're tackling.
I also wondered if the ref would have been quite so keen to reach for the yellow if it had been a tight quarter-final rather than a blow-out pool game.

In other news, any thoughts about France's scare against Tonga? Or Samoa's decision to call a scrum under their posts when down by 12 with a minute to play?
Old 10-07-2019, 03:00 PM

I didn't bother with France v Tonga. Big mistake on my part. From the highlights it looked like France went to sleep in the second half.

As for the tightening up of the high tackle laws. I'm a big fan so long as the rules are applied consistently. Yes an early red ruins games as a contest but players and coaches need to abide by the rules as clearly stated by the refs and the governing body. If you rush in without being in control enough to adjust when the ball carrier dips you're tackling recklessly and deserve what comes to you in my opinion.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:45 AM

All that Pool A drama may fizzle out due to a super-typhoon:
Quote:
England and Scotland’s World Cup pool deciders this weekend are under threat from one of the most violent super typhoons in recent history, potentially causing chaos for tens of thousands of travelling supporters.

World Rugby may be forced into taking the unprecedented step of cancelling Saturday’s Pool C match between England and France – as well as Scotland’s crucial fixture with the World Cup hosts Japan 24 hours later – with the category five super typhoon headed for Yokohama.
Cancelled matches are scoreless draws, worth 2 points apiece, which will put Japan through and Scotland out. Organisers are apparently looking at moving the fixture, but that is logistically quite complex. It's difficult to argue with a super-typhoon, of course, but it'll be a shame not to have what was looking like a real thriller.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:19 PM
I was curious...

Indeed. And while it's not a nice thing to say in the face of a potential natural disaster that could endanger life and property, England's game being cancelled would be great news for them, as it would guarantee they top the group and avoid injury.

It's unfortunate the key match involves the hosts - if it does get cancelled, no doubt some will criticise the organisers for not doing enough to reschedule it, whereas if they do so and Japan lose, they will potentially have a backlash (and probably lower revenue) from home fans. A tough spot to be in, quite apart from the logistics.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:20 PM

bugger, it's the Suzuka GP this weekend as well. It'd be a real shame not to see the Japan-Scotland game play out properly.

As it stands it looks like the storm is predicted to hit Yokohama on Saturday which would bugger up the England-France game but it may be through before the Sunday matches.

Fingers crossed I suppose.