Old 10-31-2019, 03:38 PM

I get grumpy when people schedule a meeting with me and then don’t show up. So rude!

Old 10-31-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Thirteen hour workdays? Jeebus.
Many of the departments in our hospital have gone to all 12-hour shifts.

Those mistakes med students make because they're running on too little sleep? Well, now it'll be life-threatening mistakes made by your RN, your RT, your CMA, your LPN, your FUBAR.

And no one knows why they switched from three eight-hour shifts to two twelve-hours, but I have my suspicions. The admins have always resented that there's a half hour of "hand off" between shifts, where you brief the next shift on crucial problems and patients.

So you may get compromised care (and don't expect a lot of attentiveness during that twelfth hour), but hey, at least the bosses aren't paying for your caregivers to talk to each other.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Yesterday a customer called to say I had charged her credit card twice. I told her to bring in both receipts and the manager will take the second charge off. She responds "I only have one receipt, but the bill on the Internet says it went through twice. I know you can fix it on the phone and I want it done now.:

At that point, with the steam coming out of my ears, I had the sense to get the manager to the phone and let her handle it. Only one problem with this person's complaint. There's one way I could do that. Even the manager asked "How?" I couldn't do it with our system.. Plain and simple.

I don't care what anyone says about me as long as it's the truth. But if you really want to see me go off, lie about me. That's the #1 on my list of "things that make me go off."
Old 11-02-2019, 02:47 AM

Betcha she saw the pending "authorization request" on her account, then separately the actual invoice taking her money out of her account.

It can kinda look like a double charge, I guess, but the auth request always stays pending.

Does that help?
Old 11-02-2019, 02:53 AM

Sometimes there actually is a double charge, but the first one gets returned. When the three lines are for the same amount it means someone screwed up a batch job and reversed it.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:33 AM

I once had a charge go through twice. It was at a grocery store, for something like $87.18, and the charges had time stamps just a minute apart. As I pointed out to the credit card people, what were the odds that I could amass two cart loads of groceries that added up to the exact same amount and get the second one rung up in less than a minute?
Old 12-06-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Got a bonus, nearly half went to income tax.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhemar View Post
Got a bonus, nearly half went to income tax.
My next check will have what is officially called stability pay, but we call senility pay. The top of the year scale is $1200. Sounds great! Last year it worked out to $460 after taxes.
They used to issue it as a separate check, guaranteeing more for us. Changed it about five years ago.
Assholes.
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM

It’s going to be a fun day! I’m working on a small piece of a very big project. One of my coworkers has decided that it should be done a different way, so I have to meet with him and my supervisor (just the two of them, not anyone else on the team that’s working in this project). This is going to suck.

This is the same coworker who, in an earlier phase of this project, half-assed the sections that were assigned to him and didn’t get it done on time. So now he’s being a jerk about part of the project that he’s not even working on. He didn’t bother to find out anything about what needs to be done, and his idea for how it should be done just wouldn’t work. We’re supposed to be collaborative and work as a team, but I guess some people are exempt from that.

I’m sure that this is going to result in my supervisor making a huge mess out of everything, like she usually does. We need to get some other things done before we can do the next part of this project, so now we’re having a meeting that will make things worse instead of getting some actual work done. I’m used to my supervisor not valuing (or even paying attention to) my input, but I’m so very tired of it.

Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

It's Feeding Season at work, when everyone is expected to pick a day to bring a food item to share. I try my damnedest to not sit around at work snacking all day; usually, this is pretty easy, because I have no desire to eat heavy dips or meaty things at 8:30 in the morning. Today, one person brought his signature spring rolls, which are a favorite of mine but not something I want to eat at this time of day.

I've had a parade of people come by my office this morning demanding to know why I didn't get a spring roll. I've worked here for over 12 years; these people know (by my repeated explanations multiple times per year) that I eat breakfast before coming to work. Geez.
Old Today, 01:29 AM

Well, quit eating breakfast before work for a few days!
Free food is the *best* food.
Old Today, 03:55 AM

Not in my case. I'm the kind of person who, if unable to eat breakfast within half an hour of getting up, WILL bite.

I was reading in another forum someone talking about how his experience working in Spain was that "Spaniards are extremely rigid about eating at the predefined times," and I was thinking "well, DUH, not our fault if other people don't take their meals seriously " I just left a project on account of "superboss was one of those people who want things done exactly they way they want them, while not knowing what is it they want;" that explanation is true and it is what I tell foreigners. But I'm not sure if foreigners can understand the sheer horror in my relatives' voices when I explain that "every day at lunchtime, just as everybody is standing up to go to the cafeteria, he'll pick one or two targets and spend about one hour treating them to whatever thoughts cross his mind". "AT LUNCHTIME???!!! "

Last edited by Nava; Today at 04:00 AM.
Old Today, 10:34 AM

A young man works in my lab. He is about 25, not long out of school, still lives with his parents and this is his first real job. He is college-educated and appears reasonably intelligent. He does a decent job when he feels like it but has told me and other supervisors that he doesn't need training because he already knows everything. (On the occasion he said this to me, a board-certified PhD with 20 years in the field, I explained to him what the Dunning-Krueger effect was and informed him he was on the wrong side of it). He has recently started showing an attitude problem and doing a half-assed job including leaving one day with his work undone. When his immediate supervisor asked for an explanation, he told her that his job was boring, he didn't like it and he didn't feel like doing it with any effort anymore. Also he objects to having to do overtime (the occasional necessity of which was explained in the original job interview). But if we paid him more money, he would step up his game.

So according to his logic, if he does a shitty job, I should pay him more.

Kid, that is NOT how the world works. Here's how it works. It is not my job to make you happy. It is my job to get the work out. You step up your game and do your job according to expectations or get written up. You get written up enough times, you get fired. There is a line of people, including many of your co-workers in other departments, who would love your job. You are replaceable. Apparently this is one of the things you don't know. But you may well learn.

Last edited by Toxgoddess; Today at 10:36 AM.
Old Today, 02:27 PM

My god, these people are exhausting.

Old Today, 03:00 PM

One hour into a long meeting, and we haven’t gotten anything done. I need to find work I can do at home, alone.

Old Today, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Well, quit eating breakfast before work for a few days!
Free food is the *best* food.
XD Free or not, there's no way I'm touching the plate of mystery meat blend that's been sitting on the counter unrefrigerated for three hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
"every day at lunchtime, just as everybody is standing up to go to the cafeteria, he'll pick one or two targets and spend about one hour treating them to whatever thoughts cross his mind". "AT LUNCHTIME???!!! "
Sounds like my supervisor...I've learned to not take any issues to him after 11:15 AM, or I'll wind up stuck in his office for an hour discussing things that are completely irrelevant to what I went in to discuss.