Old 01-25-2017, 03:37 PM

I think Reaper Man is actually the only book where we get extended POVs from Death himself. Most of the other Death books are seen from another character - Mort or Susan, usually, or Albert in Hogfather.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
I think Reaper Man is actually the only book where we get extended POVs from Death himself. Most of the other Death books are seen from another character - Mort or Susan, usually, or Albert in Hogfather.
Interesting.

I have to admit, the "undead" support group was hilarious. The poor vampire who is bad at meeting people, the bogeyman who is afraid to come out from underneath things. Wonderful.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

And the werewolf that's an honorary undead, too.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahaloth View Post
interesting.

I have to admit, the "undead" support group was hilarious. The poor vampire who is bad at meeting people, the bogeyman who is afraid to come out from underneath things. Wonderful.
"I HAVE RECEIVED THE BADLY-WRITTEN NOTE OF THE BANSHEE." snerk

Last edited by Max Torque; 01-26-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Interesting.

I also, so far, find myself respecting the old lady Death works for. She slaps him across the face for being too cynical/gloomy and I love it.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
There's two story threads. My edition has them in two different typefaces, even.
What edition is that? Please?
Old 01-27-2017, 03:10 AM

It's just a 1998 Corgi paperback reprint (UK). It's much more noticeable in the hardback edition, but it's definitely there in the paperbacks. I don't know if the American editions did it.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Nearly done with Reaper Man. I must be denser than dense, but how did Death defeat the New Death? I must have been distracted, but even going back, I'm having a heck of a time figuring out exactly what happened.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Nearly done with Reaper Man. I must be denser than dense, but how did Death defeat the New Death? I must have been distracted, but even going back, I'm having a heck of a time figuring out exactly what happened.
He'd befriended the inventor of New Death's combine harvester earlier, and knew exactly which sprocket would, if misplaced, result in the harvester violently splunking itself.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
He'd befriended the inventor of New Death's combine harvester earlier, and knew exactly which sprocket would, if misplaced, result in the harvester violently splunking itself.
I did catch that he removed part of the machine to destroy it, but my own poor reading skills( or my distraction) made me not realize that the combine harvester was New Death's. In the end, did Death just use his regular scythe to kill New Death?

I just don't get how Death got out of....death. Even killing New Death would make a new one arise, or did Azrael(or whoever) just concede and let Death continue?

By the way, adored the final scenes with Renata. Him taking her to the dance was adorable. Just a wonderful conclusion to a great storyline.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Ultimately, Reaper man was a book that worked for me in some parts and not others.

I liked the beginning and I think the premise is good. However, I rather found the Unseen Academy scenes in the middle a bit of a slog. I hope this doesn't bode poorly for my enjoyment of Rincewind's books once I get back to reading more of him.

The ending was, however, absolutely fantastic. Yes, I still don't fully understand how Death avoided....death, but everything played out nicely. I loved the final scenes with Death and Renata and I felt like his final scenes with Poons also were great.

A good book and even great in some parts, but not great all the way through, at least not to me.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I just don't get how Death got out of....death. Even killing New Death would make a new one arise, or did Azrael(or whoever) just concede and let Death continue?
My reading of it is that this is exactly what happened, he appealed to Azrael, pleading that humanity deserved the care of the reaper man. And Azrael said "YES".

EDIT: What you got lined up next?

Last edited by Teuton; 01-31-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Ultimately, Reaper man was a book that worked for me in some parts and not others.

I liked the beginning and I think the premise is good. However, I rather found the Unseen Academy scenes in the middle a bit of a slog. I hope this doesn't bode poorly for my enjoyment of Rincewind's books once I get back to reading more of him.

The ending was, however, absolutely fantastic. Yes, I still don't fully understand how Death avoided....death, but everything played out nicely. I loved the final scenes with Death and Renata and I felt like his final scenes with Poons also were great.

A good book and even great in some parts, but not great all the way through, at least not to me.
I'm not a big fan of Rincewind, though I do like several of the supporting characters in his books. But Rincewind himself... gets on my nerves. As usual, your experience may differ.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Not liking Rincewind is quite a common position among Discworld fans. The solution, of course, is simple: There are plenty of non-Rincewind books, so just read those if you don't like him.

Note, incidentally, that there is not 100% overlap between the wizards books and the Rincewind books.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My reading of it is that this is exactly what happened, he appealed to Azrael, pleading that humanity deserved the care of the reaper man. And Azrael said "YES".

EDIT: What you got lined up next?
Yeah, not the ending I was expecting. Loved the last 20% of this book, though. I think the final scenes with Renata and Death are some of my favorites. I love that she asks when she died and he says, "REMEMBER WHEN YOU SAID I GAVE YOU QUITE A START?......I GAVE YOU QUITE A STOP."

Hilarious and touching and wonderful.

Next? I'm reading a Brandon Sandereson novel called Warbreaker, then I will come back to the Discworld. Likely either The Light Fantastic or Equal Rites.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:07 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Not liking Rincewind is quite a common position among Discworld fans. The solution, of course, is simple: There are plenty of non-Rincewind books, so just read those if you don't like him.

Note, incidentally, that there is not 100% overlap between the wizards books and the Rincewind books.
I like Rincewind well enough. I just don't love him like I do Granny and Greebo and Nanny and Sam Vimes and Nobby and Havelock and Brutha and Gaspode and....
Old 02-01-2017, 02:21 PM

Rincewind is funnier in concept or at a a short distance than he is when he's the main character. He was, for example, pretty amusing in his more-or-less cameos in Unseen Academicals.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

After stopping to read Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson, two young adult books, and Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly, I return to the Discworld:

Just started The Light Fantastic, having read Colour of Magic about 5-6 years ago. I did see the TV movie at one point, too, and remembered that Rincewind and Twoflowers were falling off the edge of the Disc.

I am only in the beginning stages of it, but hope to enjoy it. I think after this, I will move on to Equal Rites, which will be my first Witches story. I have not yet read anything with the Witches, though I just noticed that one professor at the Unseen Academy is named Weatherwax, which is the same name as the "main" witch, I think.

Last edited by Mahaloth; 03-20-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

The real first Witches book is Wyrd Sisters. Equal Rites is sort of a proto-Witches, featuring only Granny. It can easily be skipped (although there is a call-back in one of the last Tiffany books).
Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The real first Witches book is Wyrd Sisters. Equal Rites is sort of a proto-Witches, featuring only Granny. It can easily be skipped (although there is a call-back in one of the last Tiffany books).
I would definitely recommend reading Equal Rites sometime before the final Tiffany Aching book (and final Discworld book) The Shepherd's Crown, but I agree that until that point it's not essential.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

The Light Fantastic is not very interesting to me. I am going to finish, but I'm not a huge fan. I was not a huge fan of the Colour of Magic, either.

I'm sure I'll read Equal Rites next, perhaps going right into Wyrd Sistes next.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
The Light Fantastic is not very interesting to me. I am going to finish, but I'm not a huge fan. I was not a huge fan of the Colour of Magic, either.

I'm sure I'll read Equal Rites next, perhaps going right into Wyrd Sistes next.
Those two and Sourcery are the dryest of the series, but he was just getting his feet under him as it were...
Old 03-30-2017, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I did finish it, by the way, and found it to be surprisingly dull. All the way to the end.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, the early ones could put a person off what developed into True Literature. The first three or so are a bit unformed. It isn't until Mort/Wyrd Sisters/Guards! Guards! that the Disk really comes together.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:50 AM

The first few books are more like a pilot episode for the real series.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:15 AM

For anyone wondering here is a handy Reading Guide
Old 03-31-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Just want to note that the Science of the Discworld books often get ignored in reading lists but they are, AFAICT, actually in continuity as far as the UU staff go. And they're not the first Discworld book to drag real-Earth into things.
They are also excellent books in their own right on the history, philosophy and methods of science. I picked the first one up almost by accident expecting a catchpenny Science of Doctor Who book (blah blah advances in prostheses here's a picture of a Cyberman), but was genuinely impressed by the breadth and depth.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
For anyone wondering here is a handy Reading Guide
Honestly, I don't feel like that's a "guide" at all. It doesn't guide you to anything. It just shows you how the books connect and honestly gives the (in my opinion undesirable) impression that you should start with The Colour of Magic.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

I think the point of that guide is just to maintain order within each series: i.e., if you're going to read the DEATH books, then read Reaper Man before Soul Music, and so on.

And I'm continually surprised that nobody's ever made an updated version of that chart with Snuff, Raising Steam, I Shall Wear Midnight, and The Shepherd's Crown.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Nobody's updated anything at L-Space in close to a decade. The latest book quotes listed are two for Wee Free Men.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Equal Rites

My first witch book, though I understand Wyrd Sisters is considered the first true "witches book" in the series. Still, I didn't want to read that without starting with this one.

I suppose it is a good sign that I found Granny Weatherwax to be a far more interesting than Esk, who was kind of the lead character. I see that Esk does not return to the series for a long, long time, but I found her to be along for the show more than having much of a personality.

Granny Weatherwax, though, was fun. I liked her interaction with the leader of Unseen University was a lot of fun.

Better than the Light Fantastic, my least favorite Discworld book so far.

Next, I read A Wizard of Earthsea(a new series for me). After that, I return to read Wyrd Sisters.

This thread does not have to be all about me at all. If anyone else is a latecomer, share your thoughts with us!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Oh, here is my spreadsheet, with very brief comments and my "out of 5" star rating of each book I've read.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:14 PM

Granny is bang up boss! I want to grow up to be just like her!

Earthsea is.... mmm much slower and introspective than Discworls. I reread Wizard a couple of years ago. The second is the one I remember the most about.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZedNConfused View Post
Earthsea is.... mmm much slower and introspective than Discworls. I reread Wizard a couple of years ago. The second is the one I remember the most about.
I just finished all 5 books in the Book of the New Sun.

I'm patient.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Reading Wyrd Sisters.

I've been doing a mix of listening to the audiobooks and reading the books themselves.

Celia Imrie is the narrator on this one and Equal Rites and she.....is horrible. I am hating her narration voice and many of her voices are terrible. Granny Weatherwax is a good voice, but the others are horrible.

She is ruining these two books for me in some ways.

I see Nigel Planer returns for the next Witches book. Thank goodness.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Would it be terrible to quit Wyrd sisters and watch the animated movie of it? How different are they?
Old 06-16-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Would it be terrible to quit Wyrd sisters and watch the animated movie of it? How different are they?
Quit the audio and read the actual book?
Old 06-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZedNConfused View Post
Quit the audio and read the actual book?
I was just wondering how different the movie version is from the book. Having read 40% of it, I wondered if I could switch to the movie and get a decent experience/understanding of the book.

I really prefer Nigel Planer's narration. I have yet to reach Stephen Briggs.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:38 AM

I've never gotten around to watching the Wyrd Sisters cartoon, but I'll go out on a limb and say that there is virtually no whatsoever that you'll get a decent understanding of the book. Movies are a pale reflection of a well-written book. Take for example the opening lines of Wyrd Sisters:

The wind howled. Lightning stabbed at the earth erratically, like an inefficient assassin. Thunder rolled back and forth across the dark, rain-lashed hills.
The night was as black as the inside of a cat. It was the kind of night, you could believe, on which gods moved men as though they were pawns on the chessboard of fate. In the middle of this elemental storm a fire gleamed among the dripping furze bushes like the madness in a weasel’s eye. It illuminated three hunched figures. As the cauldron bubbled an eldritch voice shrieked: “When shall we three meet again?”
There was a pause.
Finally another voice said, in far more ordinary tones: “Well, I can do next Tuesday.”

Nothing in a movie/TV series/TV special can make up for a loss of description like that.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:28 AM

Ook!
Old 06-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Buggerit! Millennium hand and shrimp!
Old 06-19-2017, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Well, I finished the book AND watched the movie. I had lost the story a bit in the middle and the curiosity got to me.

The movie has horrible animation, but is one of the most "to the book" adaptations I've ever seen. I mean, it's as close to "word for word" as any book-to-movie I've ever seen.

I actually recommend it for those who have read the book or have had my experience with the awful audiobook. Good example of a good story/script elevating low quality animation.

Now, they just need to re-record Equal Rites and Wyrd Sisters with a better voice-actor.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:44 PM

I can't read Wyrd Sisters again, I barely made it through the last time. Hand mutilation is one of my serious quicks.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:49 PM

I started reading Hogfather to my daughter last night, she's fascinated by the covers so why not?

I had to stop reading her the Earthsea books though - they're a lot darker then I recalled. But reading the first few chapters aloud really made me realise just how awesome a writer Ursula Le Guin really is.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I just finished all 5 books in the Book of the New Sun.

I'm patient.
Great writing in many ways--the guy has the vocabulary of a 100,000 word dictionary--but it does take some patience.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:13 PM

Obligatory commercial: The North American Discworld Convention (NADWCon 2017) is happening in New Orleans the first week of September. Warning: the site is not all that visually friendly for those with seeing challenges.

You won't be sorry you attended.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
The ending was, however, absolutely fantastic.
I take it you *do*dance, Mr. Bill Door?
FAMED FOR IT, MISS FLITWORTH.

I'm a musician, and the dance leaves me in tears every single time. This is what we strive for, but never quite manage:

He was aware that tunes were turning up at the ends of his fingers that his brain had never known.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

I'm actually reading Nation, a non-Discworld book by Terry Pratchett right now. I've had a copy for years that Scholastic Books sent me free of charge.

Anyone like Nation?
Old 06-24-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I'm actually reading Nation, a non-Discworld book by Terry Pratchett right now. I've had a copy for years that Scholastic Books sent me free of charge.

Anyone like Nation?
Wave hand! I did! The ending was a bit flat but I really enjoyed the book.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:58 PM

Nation made me cry.

In the good way, I guess.