Old 11-23-2019, 08:54 PM

Fuck the holidays and all this fake happy ass shit

Srsly!

For fucks fucking sake, why are they playing goddamned Christmas music before fucking Thanksgiving?!?!

Fuck all this fucking contrived crap.

I used to love Thanksgiving because I had dead turkey on my plate -- just good food all around and football all day long. Shit, the men at the table would occasionally use the 2nd half of the Detroit game to go toss some football out in the front yard and get a neighborhood pick up game going -- and if someone tackled you on the sidewalk...walk it off.

Now I have to sit through fucking Amazon commercials. People stay indoors and just use their smartphones all fucking day.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:33 PM

Not only has the 'maul' had their tree up, carols playing, & Santa in the chair to take pics for two weeks already but today I saw a tree up, in the window of a private residence. I swear if I had an RPG with me I would have remedied that situation, Carrie Fisher style.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:34 PM

So sad your day off ain't fun for you.
Too bad I've never had a day off for Thanksgiving. What with cleaning the house ahead of time for guests coming. Doing the shopping and all the cooking (It's not just one meal, 3 squares a day + snacks for the duration) Thanksgiving day is one long ass day. After dinner clean-up is a 2 dishwasher load affair. And, god Uncle Pete is pissy drunk and looking for a fight.
And then having to baby-sit all day Friday so my children can shop for their children on black Friday. Holidays are stressful for me too.
Not getting to play pickup football at halftime of the game on TV doesn't seem to be a big problem. TV ads never killed anyone.
Take out the trash please.()
Old 11-23-2019, 09:36 PM

After ATMB, a post like this actually cheers me up. It is a shame about the cell phone addiction and crazy consumerism. Maybe a song will cheer you up?
https://youtu.be/rH8c90GIvPU
Old 11-23-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
After ATMB, a post like this actually cheers me up. It is a shame about the cell phone addiction and crazy consumerism. Maybe a song will cheer you up?
https://youtu.be/rH8c90GIvPU
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKK!!!

I heard that goddamned song already!!!

No!!! Just...no!!!!

Can they at least wait until Black Friday?!
Old 11-23-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
So sad your day off ain't fun for you.
Too bad I've never had a day off for Thanksgiving. What with cleaning the house ahead of time for guests coming. Doing the shopping and all the cooking (It's not just one meal, 3 squares a day + snacks for the duration) Thanksgiving day is one long ass day. After dinner clean-up is a 2 dishwasher load affair. And, god Uncle Pete is pissy drunk and looking for a fight.
Don't host that shit anymore; meet up at a restaurant. Shit, it could be Taco Bell for all anyone cares, right? Just don't go out of your way to put lunch or dinner together.

Quote:
And then having to baby-sit all day Friday so my children can shop for their children on black Friday. Holidays are stressful for me too.

Not getting to play pickup football at halftime of the game on TV doesn't seem to be a big problem. TV ads never killed anyone.
Take out the trash please.()
We men need testosterone release, but I'll take out the trash.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:00 PM

You don't get to decide whether you're the hostess of these family things. It just happens. I have the biggest house. My kids wanna come home for holidays. What am I'm gonna do run away and hide?
Old 11-23-2019, 10:12 PM

Open your wallets and buy this these CDs. The Lovecraft Historical Society doesn't make stuff like this for free! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptP0...0rDaoI&index=8

Dang, messed up the link, but seriously, buy the music. (no, I don't get a cut, but I love corrupting folks)
Old 11-23-2019, 10:34 PM

Beck, I know what you mean about parties happening want them or not. My Beloved Butthead aka BB was a very forward facing "dig up the world to build oil pipelines" sort of guy. Until he retired, we ENTERTAINED for holidays. He is no longer going to work every day, but he still does all the networking and shit to keep our stock options valuable. The parties are still happening, but thankfully, we are able to cut the guest lists to under 50.

People honestly don't listen to the music. I have this sort of stuff playing just so I don't lose my mind.

Most folks don't notice what I'm playing, and those who do get put on my "cool" list.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
You don't get to decide whether you're the hostess of these family things. It just happens. I have the biggest house. My kids wanna come home for holidays. What am I'm gonna do run away and hide?
Yeah we donít have a huge house, yet we always host my wifeís family. I donít get it. Itís always so cramped here.

Christmas parties are even worse.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:05 AM

Yep. This time of year is Bollocks. I'm just praying for snow. At least I can ski.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:35 AM

My plan was to make the holidays alphabetical. Last names with A through C would be January, D through E February...

Or ban them all together. I like a Thursday off but I’m not happy about an awful day after the holiday.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Christmas is for grandparents and children. Let them have their fun.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:55 AM

Quote:
What am I'm gonna do run away and hide?
That sounds like a great idea! Treat yourself to a nice hotel/spa and turn off your phone.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:18 AM

Quote:
No, but you don't have to do all the cooking. "You're bringing THIS, and you're bringing THIS, and you're bringing THIS, and you're going to set the table and you're going to clean it up."

Delegate, woman!
Old 11-24-2019, 03:38 AM

As soon as the red cups and Christmas drinks come out, Starbucks starts playing Christmas songs. Otherwise, most places here continue their normal strange mix of 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s music.

So I don't spend much time in Starbucks. Or I stay home. It's cheaper.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:48 AM

The peeps eating here will be here for most of the week. Save an old Uncle, an Old Sister and a few deer camper stragglers. None have the facility or wherewithal to cook and bring. My DIL and Daughters and my Chef Son-in-law will be helping me. This year DIL is being planner, plotter-in-chief. She's dictatorial but pleasant about it. Don't think I won't let her take over. It's still under my roof and in my kitchen. I'll manage.
My biggest concern is mid-DAUGHTERs Chihuahuas. OMG! the 2 most annoying animals on earth. Yappy doesn't begin to describe them. Isn't that silly to worry about those dogs?
I love having her boys around though. I was her labor coach through both births. I caught those boys and cut the cord. They're my pets. We don't see them near enough. I am looking foward to the week regardless how much work it is.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Yep. This time of year is Bollocks. I'm just praying for snow. At least I can ski.
Agreed, but as I age I've gotten tired of the cold water, and shivering in a wetsuit, and waiting for MizPullin to bring the damned boat back around and... Well, the lakes are empty, but it's just not worth it anymore.

Quote:
Seriously? With today's politics it's pretty easy to drive away at least half your relatives. We're down to just 3 or 4 depending on who's in town, and it's wonderfully relaxing now. No politics, fighting, or drunk uncles -- just a good movie, hanging out in the hot tub, and smoking the turkey all day. And in Casa pullin, everyone pitches in for cleanup and it's over in a jiff.

Last edited by pullin; 11-24-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:03 AM

If you move to Canada, you won't hear Christmas music before Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:11 AM

We're hos5ing a dozen people for thanksgiving this year and are 90% of the way through a major kitchen remodel that will at least be done enough to use by thursday. I go pick up our first turkey tomorrow and I'll be cooking 3 of them for Thanksgiving. This is by far my favorite time of the year.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:04 AM

This the first Thanksgiving that will be exclusively me and mine (minus my oldest son). We lost my MIL this year. Until now Ms. Cutman and I would cook everything at our house and bring it across town to her and the gang of strays she always seemed to take in. The two children that we have with us are 14 and 18. Instead of turkey this year, we decided we will each cook our own Cornish game hen. That way we can do 4 different styles and share. All of the other trimmings will be included. A little less work though. As for the Christmas songs, fuck that, they can keep 'em until Christmas eve.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:41 AM

asahi needs to change his username to Grinch. And put this album on continuous play at home and work.

On the other hand, it seems perverse for the local Lowe's home improvement store to put out Xmas stuff in goddamn September.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutman74 View Post
This the first Thanksgiving that will be exclusively me and mine (minus my oldest son). We lost my MIL this year. Until now Ms. Cutman and I would cook everything at our house and bring it across town to her and the gang of strays she always seemed to take in. The two children that we have with us are 14 and 18. Instead of turkey this year, we decided we will each cook our own Cornish game hen. That way we can do 4 different styles and share. All of the other trimmings will be included. A little less work though. As for the Christmas songs, fuck that, they can keep 'em until Christmas eve.
Cornish game hens are awesome. That sounds great, I hope you all enjoy it.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:55 AM

I’m with the OP on this. I already wrote a letter to Alaska Airlines telling them that November 14th is way too early for Christmas music. We’re hosting a few people for relatively mellow Thanksgiving (precooked turkey already ordered) but skipping Christmas this year. No tree, no lights, no nothing. The kids are all invited to join us at a Chinese restaurant and relax on 12/25.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKK!!!

I heard that goddamned song already!!!

No!!! Just...no!!!!

Can they at least wait until Black Friday?!
I like THIS one way better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od7GUy9XS7c
Old 11-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

I work as a cashier in a discount store. I get more hours, people are mostly nicer, and the store is more generous with their giveaways. OTOH, people dump more items at the register, there are more huge orders, and people get upset because we don't have just exactly what they want.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:07 PM

This Christmas song is another favorite of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_U1yTp7cX0
Old 11-24-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
If you move to Canada, you won't hear Christmas music before Thanksgiving.
Heh, can't fool me. I'm a USAian, but I know when Canadian Thanksgiving is!
Old 11-24-2019, 02:17 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Iím with the OP on this. I already wrote a letter to Alaska Airlines telling them that November 14th is way too early for Christmas music.

I agree with you, but the reason that airline does it is because their clientele, by and large, like them doing it.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Too bad I've never had a day off for Thanksgiving. What with cleaning the house ahead of time for guests coming. Doing the shopping and all the cooking (It's not just one meal, 3 squares a day + snacks for the duration)
One of the best thanksgivings I've ever experienced was a year when I was in between relationships, and my kids were doing the day with their mom. I was left with nothing to do that day.

My friend Billie heard about my situation and invited me to her home. She's a bartender, and was throwing a dinner at her home exclusively for people who'd otherwise be alone that day. It was AWESOME! The Canadian blues guitarist/vocalist Anthony Gomes played T-giving Eve at the bar where Billie worked, and his band's travel plans fell through due to weather, so they attended. A friend I hadn't seen in years showed up; I never knew he knew Billie, and it was great catching up.

We had turkey, veggies, nachos, pizzas, etc and everyone brought beer, liquor, and drugs. Anthony and his band played a few sets. The party started at noon. When I left 24 hours later there was still a small group of revelers. There was a ton of debauchery, still people sporadically made speeches about what they were thankful for.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:28 PM

'Kayaker', man oh man, you lead an exciting life.()
One year we took the younguns to Disney, over the Thanksgiving week. The kids loved it. It kinda seemed strange to me.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-24-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:31 PM

My neighbors here in Austin already put up their Christmas lights in mid-October, as they have done in previous years as well.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
My neighbors here in Austin already put up their Christmas lights in mid-October, as they have done in previous years as well.
Before Thanksgiving is questionable.

Before Halloween should be criminal.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
What am I'm gonna do run away and hide?
Pick your poison; ain't nobody at deer camp that day.

Quote:
Thanksgiving day is one long ass day.
One long ass day? Pfft. Piker.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:11 PM

Spidey! And here I thought we was friends. I see how you are. ()
I do make it seem worse than it really is. I can always have a pain, DIL will put me to bed. ()
Old 11-24-2019, 10:24 PM

I tend to identify with the OP. Thanksgiving is not so bad, my sister always hosts (almost always, at least it's never me) all I have to do is bring some wine, eat some food, avoid politics with the overwhelmingly Trumpy family and leave. Christmas is a different story. I was going to go into detail but...on second thought, I'll just say Christmas season is something I'm glad to be past when it's over.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
One of the best thanksgivings I've ever experienced was a year when I was in between relationships, and my kids were doing the day with their mom. I was left with nothing to do that day.

My friend Billie heard about my situation and invited me to her home. She's a bartender, and was throwing a dinner at her home exclusively for people who'd otherwise be alone that day. It was AWESOME! The Canadian blues guitarist/vocalist Anthony Gomes played T-giving Eve at the bar where Billie worked, and his band's travel plans fell through due to weather, so they attended. A friend I hadn't seen in years showed up; I never knew he knew Billie, and it was great catching up.

We had turkey, veggies, nachos, pizzas, etc and everyone brought beer, liquor, and drugs. Anthony and his band played a few sets. The party started at noon. When I left 24 hours later there was still a small group of revelers. There was a ton of debauchery, still people sporadically made speeches about what they were thankful for.
Wow, that sounds great. I know who Anthony Gomes is, he played here recently and the venue he played at (C2G) records shows and plays them at 1:00 AM after SNL. Just saw his recently.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:37 PM

I went to Panama this year at the end of September/into October and even down there Christmas items were already being put up in stores at that time.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:39 AM

i remeber when i went in a fabric store and everything was christmas related .,, i bought the sewing kit my aunt needed and asked about it....

the clerk asked me "ever see grandma sew/knit a sweater by hand? ... thats why we sell the stuff to start start now... ...

Last edited by nightshadea; 11-25-2019 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Do they live off Guadalupe, on or near 37th St.?

If so, that is acceptable. (Cite: I used to live on 38 1/2 St.)

Oh, my gawd, there's a wiki article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/37th_Street_(Austin)
Old 11-25-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
I went to Panama this year at the end of September/into October and even down there Christmas items were already being put up in stores at that time.
I was there, in the mid 1970s. Loved it, and the fishing was amazing.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

At the end of our Cancer Year we weren’t up to handling all the holiday horseshit, so we spent the second half of December in Barcelona and driving up and down the Costa Brava. It was miraculous...ostensibly in a Catholic country, the Christmas crap was kept to private homes, and in public areas you could barely tell what season it was.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
At the end of our Cancer Year we werenít up to handling all the holiday horseshit, so we spent the second half of December in Barcelona and driving up and down the Costa Brava. It was miraculous...ostensibly in a Catholic country, the Christmas crap was kept to private homes, and in public areas you could barely tell what season it was.
My WAG is that the religious observance of Christmas is more private and held in homes and places of worship, while itís the commercialization of the holiday that leads to ostentatious displays you see elsewhere.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:06 PM

Christmas is just an excuse to pick a man's pocket every 25th of December. It's a humbug, I tell you!
Old 11-25-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Christmas is just an excuse to pick a man's pocket every 25th of December. It's a humbug, I tell you!
BAH!
Old 11-25-2019, 08:43 PM

On Thursday, I will have 40-60 (49 yes RSVPs, no clue how many folks will actually show up) people expecting an elaborate Thanksgiving feast. Hall has been rented and measured, decorations have been purchased, caterers have been consulted with and food is probably already being started, temporary workers will help with set up and take down. All is good, I can semi-relax, right?

Well, while all of the boxes have been checked and I do understand that problems will happen no matter how well I have planned things...why the hell did some drunk in a big ass Texan sized pick-up have to drive through the front doors, breaking all the glass, some of the wall and really upsetting a lot of people.

Yeah, not serving food there on Thursday. I'm not sure where the food will be served yet, this is a little late to rent other places. Stress is happening.

Kill me now, please, Christmas is coming.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:35 PM

I feel like I'm forgetting something.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
On Thursday, I will have 40-60 (49 yes RSVPs, no clue how many folks will actually show up) people expecting an elaborate Thanksgiving feast. Hall has been rented and measured, decorations have been purchased, caterers have been consulted with and food is probably already being started, temporary workers will help with set up and take down. All is good, I can semi-relax, right?

Well, while all of the boxes have been checked and I do understand that problems will happen no matter how well I have planned things...why the hell did some drunk in a big ass Texan sized pick-up have to drive through the front doors, breaking all the glass, some of the wall and really upsetting a lot of people.

Yeah, not serving food there on Thursday. I'm not sure where the food will be served yet, this is a little late to rent other places. Stress is happening.

Kill me now, please, Christmas is coming.
So, flatlined, how did it all turn out? Had to get better, right? Something worked out, right? Right?
Old 12-01-2019, 09:38 PM

Thanks for asking, all went as well as possible. We did find another hall that had intact doors and windows (by the time I found it, that's all I really wanted). Everyone seemed to get enough of what they wanted to eat, the police didn't get called and no drunken fights happened.

I'd rather not use this hall for Christmas, I'm afraid it will be too small, but I did put a deposit down on it because I doubt repairs will be completed on the wrecked building in time.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:57 PM

The irony is that that's probably where people earn money in order to watch shows accompanied by Amazon commercials.