Old 06-12-2019, 03:09 PM

Is there a difference between food grade mineral oil and laxative mineral oil?

I mean, besides the price. On Amazon I see laxative mineral oil for about $10 for 16 oz while food grade (usually for use on wood that will be used for food) is twice the price at, generally, $8 for 8 oz. Also, as a quick look-see, I searched Amazon's Industrial and Scientific sub-category for mineral oil and got one priced at $14 for 32 oz.

I'm really interested in the difference between the laxative and the food grade. Wouldn't laxative oil have to be food grade by default? For full disclosure's sake, I was looking for mineral oil to stock in my craft room, for crafty stuff. Mostly non-put-in-your-mouth stuff but, who knows. I may make a cutting board or spoon one day.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

I think the laxative might be pharmaceutical grade, which if I remember correctly is more pure than food grade - food grade can have scent added ( baby oil) or other additives ( anti- corrosion, etc ) when used to lubricate food machinery . I assume the additional cost for food grade is due to the additives.

Last edited by doreen; 06-12-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:20 PM

This isn't what was asked, but you can get food grade mineral oil on Amazon for less than 1/5 of the price quoted in the OP. Here's 128 oz for $22.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LB7MC4M
Old 06-12-2019, 06:02 PM

I've always used heavy mineral oil from the drugstore. Once it's soaked in and then been rubbed and let dry, the laxative properties are gone. But any oil that doesn't go rancid will work, it's just a cutting board. It's a good use for the fancy gift bottles of nut oils and such that live in tiny bottles in your cupboard.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:21 PM

Mineral oil isn't really a laxative anyway; it's just a lubricant. It should not be used regularly because it can interfere with absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and can leak out the other end.

It's perfectly OK to use on cutting boards and other metal serving utensils.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Mineral oil isn't really a laxative anyway; it's just a lubricant.
A company which makes laxatives disagrees with you:
Quote:
Lubricant laxatives, such as mineral oil, coat the surface of a stool which helps the stool retain fluid and pass with less difficulty. Doctors may recommend lubricants for people with blockages in the anus or rectum. However, they can sometimes inhibit the absorption of vitamins and nutrients.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
This isn't what was asked, but you can get food grade mineral oil on Amazon for less than 1/5 of the price quoted in the OP. Here's 128 oz for $22.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LB7MC4M
That's a lot of mineral oil!

The differences between the oils (which doesn't seem like there's that much of a difference) don't seem to explain the price differences. You'd think the pharmaceutical grade would be much more expensive.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
That's a lot of mineral oil!
Yeah, I got a jug of that stuff a couple years ago. I expect it's going to last me the rest of my life.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:04 AM

Laxative mineral oil is Pharmaceutical grade (USP)

Quote:
Food-grade mineral oil lubricants for food machinery contain corrosion inhibitors, foam suppressants and anti-wear agents, even though they are authorized for contact with food. Pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil has to be free of all impurities under USP standards.
From : https://bizfluent.com/info-12044319-...neral-oil.html
Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Wouldn't laxative oil have to be food grade by default?
Only if you're drinking it...