Old 10-10-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Hmmmm. Fox news is putting out more things that don't seem favorable to The Chosen One:
Attorney General Barr met privately last night with Rupert Murdoch, NYT reports, at Murdoch's home in New York: "Mr. Trump believes that the network has become more critical of him, and he has grown increasingly critical of Fox News."
Old 10-10-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Those are so twentieth century (thanks Gerry Ford!). Let’s go back to the seventeenth century and revive Richelieu’s cartes blanche.
Meh. Trump would go for Divine Right of Kings: Trump is ... "subject to no earthly authority, deriving the right to rule directly from a divine authority, like the monotheist will of God. (Trump) is thus not subject to the will of his people, (congress), or any other estate of the realm."
Old 10-10-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
The two Giuliani guys arrested today were guests at a White House dinner. They are being represented by former Individual 1 attorney John Dowd. Dowd actually just wrote a letter (in comic sans, of all things) that the two guys didn't have enough time to come before the House impeachment investigators. They were arrested at Dulles Airport on their way out of the country.
The comic sans letter also mentions Fox contributors DeGenova and Toensing.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/3928008002/
Apparently Rudy was planning a trip out of the country as well to join up with these guys.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Apparently Rudy was planning a trip out of the country as well to join up with these guys.
You know, I love the show, but these recent twists are just so obvious and over the top. I mean maybe a third rate criminal would try this shit, but this part of the show is supposed to be about the President's own lawyer for God's sake!

I mean it's just not believable at this point. They need new writers.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
You know, I love the show, but these recent twists are just so obvious and over the top. I mean maybe a third rate criminal would try this shit, but this part of the show is supposed to be about the President's own lawyer for God's sake!

Are you saying Former President Trump's* administration has jumped the shark?

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 10-10-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
Attorney General Barr met privately last night with Rupert Murdoch, NYT reports, at Murdoch's home in New York: "Mr. Trump believes that the network has become more critical of him, and he has grown increasingly critical of Fox News."
Not that I think Murdoch is exactly a morally upstanding person, but I would have loved to have seen exactly how he told Barr to fuck off. Whatever his other flaws, Murdoch isn't the type to tow somebody else's line for no good reason.

Also, they need Fox News way more than Fox News needs them (not a lot - they can make do with any bunch of Republicans, if we're being honest).
Old 10-10-2019, 07:19 PM

I mean, you can see the bus rolling slowly over Rudy in real time.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Well, just hold on there. It's not like there's a video of the three of them smiling into the camera in the lobby of the Trump hotel, and saying "I'll see you in Ukraine soon!"

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; 10-10-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, that’s no biggie. Everybody in NYC knows Rupert’s pad. It’s a cool little studio right on the edge of SoHo, and if you’ve had too much blow during a night on the town, he loves it when you drop in and have a few shots of his tequila to smooth you out. He’ll throw on some Miles and chill with ya.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 10-10-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
What.
The.
Fuck.

Barr is now Trump's enforcer?

"Nice network you got her Mr. Murdoch. Be a shame if the FCC were to shut it down. <pushes vase off shelf> Oh sorry. So clumsy of me."
Old 10-10-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
I mean, you can see the bus rolling slowly over Rudy in real time.
Whenever I hear anything about that guy, I hear the opening line from an old Supertramp song, Rudy
Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Whenever I hear anything about that guy, I hear the opening line from an old Supertramp song, Rudy
OK, now I had to play this.

"Rudy thought that all good things comes to those that wait
But recently he could see that it may come but too late, too late, too late"
Old 10-10-2019, 08:14 PM

"Rudy, A Message to You"
Quote:
Stop your running about
It's time you straighten right out
Stop your running around
Making problems in town

Aha-a, Rudy
A message to you, Rudy
A message to you

You're growing older each day
You want to think of your future
Or you might wind up in jail
And you will suffer

Aha-a, Rudy
A message to you, Rudy
A message to you

Old 10-10-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Are you saying Former President Trump's* administration has jumped the shark?
It began with Trump grabbing pussies, but now the Republicans are jumping sharks. Very kinky, but not in a good way with regard, or lack thereof, toward the American people and their Constitution.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Well, he's certainly Special.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:39 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Hehehe, a link that hasn't been taken down for those who want to hear a message to Rudy.

Seriously, a perfect pick, Walken. I love any reason to listen to it on days that end in y - today is much more special, given the context.

Last edited by scabpicker; 10-10-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Trump: Now there's one magnanimous motherfucker. A real friend to our allies. The kind of motherfucker you really want on your side.
Oh, I'd like him on my side. I'd make sure to always have him go first anywhere.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Which is a totally normal thing that probably happens all the time in a functioning democracy with an impartial Justice Department focused on its top priorities.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
This SHOULD directly implicate Giuliani. It probably won't since that sumbitch is one lucky (if crazy) bastard. But I can hope he's headed for prison soon too.
What good would that do? He'd just transform into his bat or mist form and slip out between the bars.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Which is a totally normal thing that probably happens all the time in a functioning democracy with an impartial Justice Department focused on its top priorities.
But hey, Clinton once talked with someone else in public so everything is exactly equivalent.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:38 AM

The Nobel Peace Prize went to somebody from one of those shithole countries.

Oh well, Donnie....better luck next year.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:27 AM

Trump keeps calling it an insane impeachment witch hunt. Makes me want to call it an insane clown posse hunt
Old 10-11-2019, 09:41 AM

I heard a new nick name for Giuliani: Rudy Colludy. Perfect.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
LOL... "Rudy's on a train to nowhere, halfway down the line"

Great, now I'll never hear that song again without thinking of Guliani.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Per Yovanovitch From CNN
Quote:
“With respect to Mayor Giuliani, I have had only minimal contacts with him—a total of three that I recall. None related to the events at issue,” she said, according to her prepared remarks. “I do not know Mr. Giuliani’s motives for attacking me. But individuals who have been named in the press as contacts of Mr. Giuliani may well have believed that their personal financial ambitions were stymied by our anti-corruption policy in Ukraine.”
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...-19/index.html

So apparently she’s not testifying behind closed doors?

Well it sounds like it is closed door but a copy of her opening statement was released.

Last edited by Skypist; 10-11-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Hehehe, a link that hasn't been taken down for those who want to hear a message to Rudy.

Seriously, a perfect pick, Walken. I love any reason to listen to it on days that end in y - today is much more special, given the context.
Are 'Rudy' and 'rude boy' synonymous? I always thought Rudy was just his name, but maybe it's more like the 'rude boys' in Desmond Dekker's 007 (Shanty Town)?
Old 10-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Trump loses appeal to stop House subpoena of his tax documents

Quote:
In a 2-1 ruling, the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit upheld a lower court ruling saying the firm must turn over eight years of accounting records.

The opinion is a strong signal that the White House's letter earlier this week refusing to cooperate with the impeachment probe without a full House vote authorizing it would not hold up in court....

"The courts lack the power to invalidate a duly authorized congressional subpoena merely because it might have been 'better [if]...the full House' had specifically authorized or issued it," the court wrote. "Unless and until Congress adopts a rule that offends the Constitution, the courts get no vote in how each chamber chooses to run its internal affairs."
Old 10-11-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Are 'Rudy' and 'rude boy' synonymous? I always thought Rudy was just his name, but maybe it's more like the 'rude boys' in Desmond Dekker's 007 (Shanty Town)?
Yep:
Quote:
Thus, “Rudy, A Message To You,” was a call for the rude boys — or Rudies — to reflect on their behavior and its potential implications
Old 10-11-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It took 40 years, but I finally got there.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Supposedly, we have reached a small trade deal with China.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...ted-trade-deal

I am skeptical of the specifics.

Soybean tariffs were set to pressure Trump voters. Trump needs those voters massively. That China would give them away for nothing seems unlikely.

I suspect that we'll find out what the Adminstration is actually trying to give away in return, soon.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:15 PM

I wonder if it rhymes with schminvestigate schmiden.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post

Soybean tariffs were set to pressure Trump voters. Trump needs those voters massively. That China would give them away for nothing seems unlikely.

I suspect that we'll find out what the Adminstration is actually trying to give away in return, soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
I wonder if it rhymes with schminvestigate schmiden.
No; that would be another gift from China to Old Orangestain; the question is what gifts he's giving them in return.

For starters, I assume he never heard of any Hong Kongians storming the beaches at Normandy....
Old 10-11-2019, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post

This is the same administration that recently insisted talks with North Korea had been good discussions that totally didn't end in failure, despite accomplishing nothing and being characterized by their own envoy as "bad and sickening" on his way the hell out of Dodge?

Yeah, think I'll wait for third-party confirmation.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:22 PM

Really cute Eric Trump's brilliant turn of phrase:

Quote:
“How do you think [Hunter] is feeling after embezzling a lot of money?” Eric Trump asked the audience Thursday. “A lot of crookedness, he is not feeling too good. Maybe ‘Lock her up!’ goes to ‘Lock him up!’”
Old 10-11-2019, 06:34 PM

Even if his allegations were true, does he think the US imprisons people for crimes they commit in other countries?

I hate stupid people who are loud and talkative.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Even if his allegations were true, does he think the US imprisons people for crimes they commit in other countries?

I hate stupid people who are loud and talkative.
Also, (I can't follow the insanity too closely) but I don't think the made up allegations against Hunter include embezzlement.

Quote:
noun: embezzlement; plural noun: embezzlements

theft or misappropriation of funds placed in one's trust or belonging to one's employer.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:41 PM

Well that's what I mean and what I keep asking people about: why the fuck should American law enforcement care about someone breaking a law in another country? Even if it's an American?

And if American law enforcement doesn't care about it, why the fuck should Americans?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 10-11-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:13 PM

This just in: Trump: Kevin McAleenan out at Homeland Security
Quote:
President Donald Trump says Kevin McAleenan is out as the acting secretary of the Department of Homeland Security and says he will be announcing a new acting secretary in the next week.
I wonder what someone found out about him?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 10-11-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Also, (I can't follow the insanity too closely) but I don't think the made up allegations against Hunter include embezzlement.
Quote:
Well that's what I mean and what I keep asking people about: why the fuck should American law enforcement care about someone breaking a law in another country? Even if it's an American?

And if American law enforcement doesn't care about it, why the fuck should Americans?
I think the point is that Hunter isn't accused of any actual crime I'm aware of. All he did was take a seat on the board of a foreign company, which realistically probably hoped that it would help sway American policy.

That he had no knowledge of the business isn't criminal - I think US boards end up with lots of semi-famous 'names' just so they can say that someone famous is part of their company. For example:
Quote:
Secretary Rice currently serves on the board of Dropbox; C3, an energy software company; and Makena Capital, a private endowment firm.
Seems unlikely that she has any sort of deep knowledge in all three of those diverse industries.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
This just in: Trump: Kevin McAleenan out at Homeland SecurityI wonder what someone found out about him?
Is he off to Vienna, too?
Old 10-11-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Really cute Eric Trump's brilliant turn of phrase:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Recalling the Trump family trait of projecting, I can't help wondering if Eric just revealed something interesting about his own history.

(If Eric actually has embezzled from Dad---he hasn't held any real jobs, has he? so it would have to have been from DJT---what would Dad do about it?)
Old 10-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This just in: Trump: Kevin McAleenan out at Homeland SecurityI wonder what someone found out about him?
He let himself be booed off stage.

That sort of weakness cannot be tolerated by Individual-1.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dhs-...esters-2019-10

Last edited by jasg; 10-11-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
There's some specific crimes for which the answer is "yes", such as treason, but they're crimes against the US even if commited on foreign soil. If Hunter's foreign job was illegal just on account of being for a foreign company, a lot of despicable American elites are doing illegal jobs right now.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
He gave a truthful account of the state of Homeland Security on live TV a week or two ago, basically noting that the entire agency has been decapitated to three levels deep and that as far as the security of the homeland is concerned, the country is flying blind and undefended.

I've been meaning to look up the actual interview.

On a side note, the principal component of Benedict Arnold's treason was to weaken the defenses of West Point so that it would be easy to take over.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
There's some specific crimes for which the answer is "yes", such as treason, but they're crimes against the US even if commited on foreign soil. If Hunter's foreign job was illegal just on account of being for a foreign company, a lot of despicable American elites are doing illegal jobs right now.
One of the main Republican talking points seems to be that Hunter Biden's reported salary of "up to $50,000 a month" was inherently criminal. Speaking as a guy getting by on Social Security, a small stipend and the proceeds of a part-time job, Biden's generous wage kind of pisses me off, but I am unaware of any US law capping salaries earned while working for a foreign company. Long as he paid whatever taxes were required, we good.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 10-11-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that the US will imprison US citizens if they commit murder in another country.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I'm fairly certain that the US will imprison US citizens if they commit murder in another country.
Even if that other country isn't prosecuting them for it, or they are but there is no extradition treaty between the two countries?

Last edited by Nava; 10-11-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I love in the discussions of his replacement that we have just abandoned the idea that in the United States, the Senate is supposed to be confirming nominees. Just another conservative principle thrown in the trash.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:28 PM

Rudy will flee the country in drag, like when Bani-Sadr left Iran.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Even if that other country isn't prosecuting them for it, or they are but there is no extradition treaty between the two countries?
Well, I'm not a lawyer, but I'm sure if I went to country X, that the US doesn't have an extradition treaty with, and killed people while live-streaming it, and then came back to the US, I would be arrested and tried for murder.

If not, that seems like a mighty big loophole.

Last edited by manson1972; 10-11-2019 at 08:33 PM.