Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-29-2019, 10:40 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by atimnie View Post
You don't know a goddamn thing about me, or anyone else here, so don't pretend that you do. And saying "This is a fact," doesn't make it a fact. Again, my reaction would have been the same no matter what fucking religion they were.

If this was YouTube, I'd have a few more things to say to you, but I don't want to get banned. But my attitude towards that christard bitch? That goes double for you.
Right back at ya.
  #52  
Old 09-29-2019, 10:44 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by atimnie View Post
...
If this was YouTube, I'd have a few more things to say to you, but I don't want to get banned. But my attitude towards that christard bitch? That goes double for you.
Welcome to the board, and to the Pit. Read the rules about Pit language, you can say lots and lots here. (In THIS place, the pit. Elsewhere on the board, be more diplomatic)
  #53  
Old 09-29-2019, 10:45 AM
atimnie's Avatar
atimnie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
I’m positive you wouldn't say those things to anyone unless you were protected by your online anonymity.
Bitch, stop saying that. You don't know shit about any of us, and your insistence that you do makes you as stupid and stubborn as that pamphlet pushing bitch. Talk about not knowing when to shut up. For the third, and goddamn fucking last time, my attitude would have been the same, and you can't say that it wouldn't be.
__________________
Wait, you can do signatures?
  #54  
Old 09-29-2019, 10:48 AM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by atimnie View Post
You don't know a goddamn thing about me, or anyone else here, so don't pretend that you do. And saying "This is a fact," doesn't make it a fact. Again, my reaction would have been the same no matter what fucking religion they were.

If this was YouTube, I'd have a few more things to say to you, but I don't want to get banned. But my attitude towards that christard bitch? That goes double for you.
It's just trying to get a rise out of someone, for its own amusement. Really, don't even bother.
  #55  
Old 09-29-2019, 10:54 AM
atimnie's Avatar
atimnie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,523
He should change his name to annoying, fits better. And I suspect he's as atheist as Trump is smart.
__________________
Wait, you can do signatures?
  #56  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:08 AM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
I’m an atheist, but respect all religions (unless they want to explode themselves near people) and I’m positive you wouldn't say those things to anyone unless you were protected by your online anonymity.
Hah, you obviously don't know me. I'm nicer here, and often much more confrontational in real life. There's moderators around, and this stuff is preserved for at least decades.

I've not only said those things to people in real life, I've told someone who's being pushy about whether I should observe something about their religion, "I'm required to be respectful of your religion, I am not required to pretend it is real." I've also told a religious friend "I see religious books like I do comic books. You can learn a lot about people from them, but they're just stories written by men."

I'm none to proud of some of the other things I've said in an argument in real life. It may be true, but it's sometimes just cruel to say it. So when you find something I write on this board offensive, know that it's the polite version of it, which I'm happy to have preserved forever if this place lasts that long.

Last edited by scabpicker; 09-29-2019 at 11:12 AM.
  #57  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:12 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
I don’t believe any of the above post.
  #58  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:14 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by atimnie View Post
Bitch, stop saying that. You don't know shit about any of us, and your insistence that you do makes you as stupid and stubborn as that pamphlet pushing bitch. Talk about not knowing when to shut up. For the third, and goddamn fucking last time, my attitude would have been the same, and you can't say that it wouldn't be.
I take it you’re a female?
  #59  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:15 AM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 42,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I will have to remember this little gem the next time I feel like insulting someone.

In the meantime, I think we need to get annoyed to a nearby trauma center so he can be treated for third degree sick burn. Hope he's got insurance.
He's just another fucking troll who has hijacked yet another thread. Ignore the twat.
  #60  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:18 AM
RivkahChaya's Avatar
RivkahChaya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,953
FWIW, if you are in a public place, like a market, in Israel, there will be groups of Lubavitchers, who will be stopping all the men (well, all the ones who are not obviously part of some Christian tour group), and saying "Did you pray today?" If you say "No," they say "Will you pray with us?" if you say "Yes," they ask if you wore t'fillin. The ultimate goal it to get you into t'fillin, and pray mincha or ma'ariv, or something with them.

They target tourists, so they are not trying to recruit for their home synagogue, but if they can get your name and address, they'll, send it to the people in your area (and they are everywhere-- there was a group in San Jose, Costa Rica). Really, their main goal is to get men to pray with t'fillin. I mean, they're yippee-skippy, if they can get a name for a home synagogue, but they really do just hope they can get someone to think "Hey, maybe while I'm here in the market in the Holy Land, I'll buy some t'fillin." Even if it's just a souvenir now, maybe next year, you'll start praying with it.

I'm not saying that they're in anyway "better" then Christian missionaries, because they target only Jews, or because their goals are simpler. They can be just as annoying as any Mormon. I'm just saying that "Yeah, Jews do it too," but under very specific circumstances, in a very specific place, to a very specific purpose, and they don't cast such a wide net, either.
  #61  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:19 AM
Thing Fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago (NL)
Posts: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
When people get uppity about bible thumpers, I wish I could be a fly on the wall during an interaction of the same quality featuring a different religion. I’d just like to know if the reaction is equal and proportionate or not. I’d wager a months salary it wouldn’t be.
Yeah, I wish you were a fly on the wall, too. Then I could just swat your worthless troll ass instead of waiting for the Mods to finally lose their patience.
  #62  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
I don’t believe any of the above post.
Right now the amount of people that give a flying fuck about what you believe can be counted on the fingers of one foot.
  #63  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:30 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Yeah, I wish you were a fly on the wall, too. Then I could just swat your worthless troll ass instead of waiting for the Mods to finally lose their patience.
You wouldn’t swat shit. Not now. Not ever. You’d run your mouth, get all red, and if you didn’t die of a stroke or heart attack, you’d huff yourself away cursing like a teenager who got his toy stolen by the school bully.

So swim your ass back to the shallow end where you belong.
  #64  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:37 AM
atimnie's Avatar
atimnie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
I take it you’re a female?
Wrong again, fucktard. See, this is what I was getting at before, you assume way too much. About me, about everyone else here. In the future, you should speak for yourself, admit that you're too much of a pussy to be confrontational with a muslim. Just because it's true for you doesn't mean it's true for everyone.
__________________
Wait, you can do signatures?
  #65  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:53 AM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,038
This is at least the second time that Annoyed had asked someone "I take it you're female?" I think that is his go-to insult. "Obviously you're not male."

Last edited by raventhief; 09-29-2019 at 11:53 AM.
  #66  
Old 09-29-2019, 12:09 PM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,474
Gary Glitter is getting upset. He's run through Mom's burial fund (skip the casket and cremate her in cardboard box plz) and deportation looms. His sobbing and diaper filling will radically increase, rivalling even the insane output of his Orange Jesus. Stay tuned for another episode of Whiny Little Punk Bitch Trolls the Dope, right here on the BBQPit Network.
  #67  
Old 09-29-2019, 12:10 PM
Isosleepy's Avatar
Isosleepy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
This is a fact.
“Fact” doesn’t mean what you think it means. The same holds true for a not insignificant portion of the other words you use. None of those mean what you think they mean. Either that, or you do in fact know what they mean, in which case you are just a not-very-clever troll
  #68  
Old 09-29-2019, 12:39 PM
atimnie's Avatar
atimnie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,523
Clever trolls are at least funny sometimes.
__________________
Wait, you can do signatures?
  #69  
Old 09-29-2019, 12:39 PM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
I take it you’re a female?
I take it that you're an infection-saturated gash cap. That is a fact.
__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.
  #70  
Old 09-29-2019, 12:46 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
Oh I have very little doubt and I know I’m right (and you do too) that most of the Christian haters in this thread (you included) would prostrate themselves at the feet of the first Muslim who wanted to talk about the Koran and Islam, but would feign aggression (because pussies) at a Christian who wanted to talk about the Bible.

This is a fact.
You confidence is as misplaced as an Easter Island synagogue.
  #71  
Old 09-29-2019, 01:02 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 29,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
You wouldn’t swat shit. Not now. Not ever. You’d run your mouth, get all red, and if you didn’t die of a stroke or heart attack, you’d huff yourself away cursing like a teenager who got his toy stolen by the school bully.
OMG! It's like a cute, angry hamster! The more angry it gets the cuter it gets! Listen to the funny noises!

Really, I'm laughing my ass off. What a lame-ass. Dude, this sort of thing might have started a flame was back in the 1990's (assuming you even existed back then) but today you're just ridiculous.
  #72  
Old 09-29-2019, 01:11 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,376
I was going to reply to Annoyed, but it is a confessed troll (yes it is on record that it is here only to rile up liberals for fun) so there is no point. It would be like replying to a spam email message to give them a piece of your mind, or yelling at a robocaller who woke you up at 2AM with a credit card offer.
  #73  
Old 09-29-2019, 01:32 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 6,017
The problem is that evangelists aren't like other sales people. With a normal sales person once they realize that you aren't at all interested in their product they will realize that you aren't the costumer they are looking for and so they should just quit wasting their time and move on to the next potential customer.

With evangelicals, a person who isn't interested in what they are selling is exactly the sort of lost soul who needs saving, and by persisting god will speak through them and you will hear the word of god and come to Jesus, because the only reason everyone isn't a Christian is that they haven't heard about it.
  #74  
Old 09-29-2019, 02:05 PM
atimnie's Avatar
atimnie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,523
That's the way this bitch opened. "Do you know who Jesus was?" Yes, you stupid cunt, I know who fucking Jesus was. Do you think I'm as stupid as you are? I didn't say anything like that, right at that moment. It was only when the deluded bitch wouldn't take a fucking hint and shut the fuck up that I shouted, FUCK YOU. By that time, I had said a few nasty things about her, her beliefs, religion in general, bitch kept pushing. As I said before, I have no problem with the casually religious, it's only when they get in your face that they show themselves to be a self important asshole, rude, obnoxious, and totally oblivious to how rude and obnoxious they are. Their heads all full of god and Jesus, there's no room left for common sense or decency.
__________________
Wait, you can do signatures?
  #75  
Old 09-29-2019, 02:07 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
FWIW, if you are in a public place, like a market, in Israel, there will be groups of Lubavitchers, who will be stopping all the men (well, all the ones who are not obviously part of some Christian tour group), and saying "Did you pray today?" If you say "No," they say "Will you pray with us?" if you say "Yes," they ask if you wore t'fillin. The ultimate goal it to get you into t'fillin, and pray mincha or ma'ariv, or something with them.

They target tourists, so they are not trying to recruit for their home synagogue, but if they can get your name and address, they'll, send it to the people in your area (and they are everywhere-- there was a group in San Jose, Costa Rica). Really, their main goal is to get men to pray with t'fillin. I mean, they're yippee-skippy, if they can get a name for a home synagogue, but they really do just hope they can get someone to think "Hey, maybe while I'm here in the market in the Holy Land, I'll buy some t'fillin." Even if it's just a souvenir now, maybe next year, you'll start praying with it.

I'm not saying that they're in anyway "better" then Christian missionaries, because they target only Jews, or because their goals are simpler. They can be just as annoying as any Mormon. I'm just saying that "Yeah, Jews do it too," but under very specific circumstances, in a very specific place, to a very specific purpose, and they don't cast such a wide net, either.
Thanks for serious post in the thread, RivkahChaya. (Yes, everybody, I know we're in the Pit.)

Mostly I just tell proselytizers 'No thanks. I consider religion to be a private matter' and on the ones who show up at the door here (who are, yes, Christians; but that's not much of a data point as a high percentage of the people around here are at least background-default Christian) that usually works pretty well. Occasionally, if I run into a really persistent proselytizer who won't take no for an answer, I'll argue back at them; but I try to avoid doing that, because it feels to me like returning rudeness for rudeness*: while I don't think they should be trying to convert me to their belief, I don't think I should be trying to convert them away from theirs, either.



*I don't think returning rudeness for rudeness is as bad as the initial rudeness; but I also think it's often not helpful, though there are occasional exceptions.
  #76  
Old 09-29-2019, 03:31 PM
scabpicker's Avatar
scabpicker is offline
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Funkytown (Fort Worth)
Posts: 4,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
I don’t believe any of the above post.
Well, I don't believe you don't believe it, sugar plum. Top that.
  #77  
Old 09-29-2019, 05:21 PM
The Stainless Steel Rat's Avatar
The Stainless Steel Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Close to the Saturn V
Posts: 10,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
Dubai is about as “Muslim” as Las Vegas is “Christian”.
Well, since I lived in Abu Dhabi, perhaps you'd rather amend that statement? And mention it to the 3 mosques that were within 3 blocks of my townhouse there (Fridays were interesting, the Imans all preached via loudspeakers and I'd get several sermons (which didn't affect me at all since I don't speak Arabic...

Nevertheless, even with those mosques about, never once did any Muslim (and I worked with many) try to 'convert' me or come to my door or drop off any literature. And I believe that is what the discussion is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
Oh I have very little doubt and I know I’m right (and you do too) that most of the Christian haters in this thread (you included) would prostrate themselves at the feet of the first Muslim who wanted to talk about the Koran and Islam, but would feign aggression (because pussies) at a Christian who wanted to talk about the Bible.

This is a fact.
This fact is not in evidence. Would you care to provide some?
  #78  
Old 09-29-2019, 06:01 PM
atimnie's Avatar
atimnie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,523
The facts are up his ass, do you really want to see them?
__________________
Wait, you can do signatures?
  #79  
Old 09-29-2019, 07:56 PM
RioRico is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Have you heard the Good News?!
FLASH! BYZANTIUM BURNS!

'News' covers recent events. It gets stale after a couple millennia, uncorroborated. But you knew that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atimnie View Post
"No solicitors. This includes religitards, political canvassers, and pollsters."
I've a nice rusty-iron cutout saying SOLICITORS WILL BE EATEN BY ZOMBIES. But since moving to a remote village two decades ago, our door has been reached maybe thrice. We earlier lived atop a steep hill they didn't bother climbing. Thus, make it difficult for them.

Pictures of Cthulhu may deter them, too. MY GOD ATE YOUR GOD, heh heh.

I'll confess, I don't hate the religious, but I pity those needing invisible friends to justify their existence and opinions. I do feel free to detest their words and acts.
  #80  
Old 09-29-2019, 08:02 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Well, since I lived in Abu Dhabi, perhaps you'd rather amend that statement? And mention it to the 3 mosques that were within 3 blocks of my townhouse there (Fridays were interesting, the Imans all preached via loudspeakers and I'd get several sermons (which didn't affect me at all since I don't speak Arabic...

Nevertheless, even with those mosques about, never once did any Muslim (and I worked with many) try to 'convert' me or come to my door or drop off any literature. And I believe that is what the discussion is about.
Statement still stands. UAE as a whole. Get back to me when you do time in Saudi, Iran, Iraq, Qatar, or any of the other staunchly Islamic countries that aren’t tourism-based, alcohol-serving, hooker-friendly locales and then you might have yourself an accurate interpretation of it all.

They might not try to “convert” you, but you’d be lockstep with their Islamic whims, bet your bottom dollar. And not a single tough-guy in this entire forum would have the testicular fortitude to mock or blaspheme their god or religion.

This is also a fact.
  #81  
Old 09-29-2019, 08:06 PM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
Statement still stands. UAE as a whole. Get back to me when you do time in Saudi, Iran, Iraq, Qatar, or any of the other staunchly Islamic countries that aren’t tourism-based, alcohol-serving, hooker-friendly locales and then you might have yourself an accurate interpretation of it all.

They might not try to “convert” you, but you’d be lockstep with their Islamic whims, bet your bottom dollar. And not a single tough-guy in this entire forum would have the testicular fortitude to mock or blaspheme their god or religion.

This is also a fact.
You... really don't know what facts are, do you?
  #82  
Old 09-29-2019, 08:12 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
You... really don't know what facts are, do you?
You really gonna sit there & act like what I said was untrue?
  #83  
Old 09-29-2019, 08:26 PM
Asylum is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Annapolis, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
When people get uppity about bible thumpers, I wish I could be a fly on the wall during an interaction of the same quality featuring a different religion. I’d just like to know if the reaction is equal and proportionate or not. I’d wager a months salary it wouldn’t be.
I'd have a longer response, but I see most of the points I'd make have already been made. But I have one more.

If someone came up to me that pushy about their religion AND I'd never heard of the religion before AND I had the time AND I was in the mood, I'd sit there and listen to see if I could learn something. And then tell them to not be pushy and rude in the future.

But if all of those ANDs weren't met I'd have no problem telling them to "Fuck off". Wouldn't start with that, but I've done it in the past.

Now stop being a snowflake and/or troll.
  #84  
Old 09-29-2019, 08:27 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
You... really don't know what facts are, do you?

Don't forget that troll's convenient defiition of opinion, either.
  #85  
Old 09-29-2019, 08:33 PM
Isosleepy's Avatar
Isosleepy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,828
“I want to talk to you about the Lord”. “Sure, watcha wanna know?” When (if) they explain that, no, they want to explain things to you, remind them of Proverbs 16:5. ( Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the Lord; be assured, he will not go unpunished)
Like garlic to a vampire.
  #86  
Old 09-29-2019, 08:37 PM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
You really gonna sit there & act like what I said was untrue?
I'm gonna sit here and marvel that you think a statement about people you don't know, have never met or even spent much time with online, and yet you have a cast iron OPINION of - is somehow a FACT.
  #87  
Old 09-29-2019, 08:53 PM
The Stainless Steel Rat's Avatar
The Stainless Steel Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Close to the Saturn V
Posts: 10,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
Statement still stands. UAE as a whole. Get back to me when you do time in Saudi, Iran, Iraq, Qatar, or any of the other staunchly Islamic countries that aren’t tourism-based, alcohol-serving, hooker-friendly locales and then you might have yourself an accurate interpretation of it all.

They might not try to “convert” you, but you’d be lockstep with their Islamic whims, bet your bottom dollar. And not a single tough-guy in this entire forum would have the testicular fortitude to mock or blaspheme their god or religion.

This is also a fact.
Won't disagree that UAE is more 'liberal' (using that word in a very 'liberal' sense) than many of its neighbors. And as for following their Islamic 'whims', I simply respected their way of doing things (which I suspect you do too, if you do work overseas) and didn't rock the boat. Maybe that makes me less bold than you.

But this thread, as I understand it, is not about the particular mores of individual Islamic countries, but if one is subjected to the same door-to-door campaigns by individuals representing to convert to a particular that is often found in the U.S. of A. You maintain that Muslims do so as do Christians; I have seen innuendo and attempts to divert from the thread's purpose in your responses, but nothing remotely what I call a fact regarding Muslims going door-to-door to spread the 'good news' of Allah and his Prophet. I would be interested if you would provide some (facts, that is).

I suspect your rebuttal tell me "I know it is a fact", which for a self-described atheist is a pretty fundamentalist thing to say, don't you think?

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 09-29-2019 at 08:53 PM.
  #88  
Old 09-29-2019, 09:03 PM
RioRico is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
You really gonna sit there & act like what I said was untrue?
Devil's Dictionary, Ambrose Bierce

TRUTH, n. An ingenious compound of desirability and appearance...

TRUTHFUL, adj. Dumb and illiterate.

There is no entry for FACT but we have this:

FIB, n. A lie that has not cut its teeth. An habitual liar's nearest approach to truth: the perigee of his eccentric orbit.

Not that I'm pointing to anyone here. But an supported fact is a lonely thing.
  #89  
Old 09-29-2019, 09:09 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,520
Are you in Thailand, Annoyed? Tell us your opinion of the Thai government, especially of their king.

Last edited by Monty; 09-29-2019 at 09:11 PM.
  #90  
Old 09-29-2019, 09:18 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
They might not try to “convert” you
And with that you’re done. Your entire argument here is that people wouldn’t treat non-Christian evangelists as badly as Christian ones. When challenged for examples of other religions that do this, you suggest Muslims do in Muslim countries, until finally admitting they don’t. So now you’re done, shut up and go away.
  #91  
Old 09-29-2019, 09:22 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,586
One Friday night when I was a teenager, I spent awhile talking to a Jesus Crispy I met downtown, interested in a sincere exchange of ideas. But at some point he very politely told me to go to hell--that is, told me that he was fantasizing about my being tortured forever because I wouldn't agree with him.

Oh boy. It was on.

I learned the Lord's Prayer backwards. I bought black candles. I dressed all in black. I organized other punks. There were only so many fun things to do downtown on a Friday night, and we got a kick out of playing theater with the Crispies. I'd light a candle and circle around them, reciting the Lord's Prayer backwards, and they'd start exorcising me.

I'm not proud, but in terms of adolescent foolishness it beat meth.

My relationship with the Hare Krishnas was a lot calmer, because instead of telling me about their torture fantasies, they fed us every Wednesday afternoon, and the only proselytizing was a table with pamphlets. But when I became interested in Wicca/Neopaganism and started buying pagan magazines, I found an article talking about links between Hindu deities and Western European deities, and I very excitedly took it to the local Krishna dude one afternoon to show him.

He obligingly read the first couple of paragraphs, nodded, and said, "This was probably written by demons."

It was an epiphany to me: culty evangelizers wear different robes, but it covers the same bullshit.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 09-29-2019 at 09:23 PM.
  #92  
Old 09-29-2019, 10:18 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Really, I'm laughing my ass off. What a lame-ass. Dude, this sort of thing might have started a flame was back in the 1990's (assuming you even existed back then) but today you're just ridiculous.
Especially considering that what Annoyed was being all aggressively incredulous about was Thing Fish's expressed willingness to "swat" Annoyed's "worthless troll ass" if Annoyed were literally a fly on the wall.

Which, y'know, Thing Fish would probably in fact be quite able and willing to do, because there's nothing particularly difficult about swatting a fly. Mocking such a plausible assertion as though it's some kind of unrealistic "internet tough guy" braggadocio just makes the mocker look silly.
  #93  
Old 09-29-2019, 10:25 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Are you in Thailand, Annoyed?
Why do you ask/what makes you think that?
  #94  
Old 09-29-2019, 10:50 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,520
Simple question. Care to answer it?
  #95  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:10 PM
RioRico is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Simple question. Care to answer it?
Anyone who has seen THE KING AND I can claim Thai expertise. Maybe not on Thai sticks or Pad Thai, but all other important stuff. Or maybe Thai sticks are the answer. Smoking Balkan Sobranie, Indian Bidis, and Acapulco Gold tells all we need of those places, too.

And for US Southern insights, drink Mississippi Mud. Oh wait, that's from upstate New York. (I point a Genesee Cream Ale bottle in the general direction.)

Yippie-thai one on, folks. Wave at Anna and the King. No, the other king.
  #96  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:27 PM
atimnie's Avatar
atimnie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
And not a single tough-guy in this entire forum would have the testicular fortitude to mock or blaspheme their god or religion.
You are a fucking religitard, must be. You keep moving the goal posts, just like they do. The discussion is what we'd do here, not in a place where you could be whipped for having your beard too short. I'm not even going to repeat what I said three times already, if you don't get it by now, you are beyond stupid. But then you're a troll, 99% of your kind are complete idiots.
__________________
Wait, you can do signatures?
  #97  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:37 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Simple question. Care to answer it?
Nah, I’m more curious as to how you seem to be so sure of yourself about my location.

Care to answer that?
  #98  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:43 PM
atimnie's Avatar
atimnie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post

I found an article talking about links between Hindu deities and Western European deities
There is a clear lineage from African myths to Christianity. Egypt took all the earlier African myths and formed them into a religion, other middle eastern religions sprang up, heavily "borrowing" from Egyptian myths, one of those religions was the cult of Ba'al, everything the same as Egyptian myths except the names. The Hebrews stole Ba'al's war god Yahweh, then Christianity came along with the myth of a peaceful son of a war god. And it just got loonier and shittier from there, with Islam, Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, even Scientology has it's bullshit roots in this lineage. It's all 50 flavors of the same bullshit.
__________________
Wait, you can do signatures?
  #99  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:47 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by atimnie View Post
You are a fucking religitard, must be. You keep moving the goal posts, just like they do. The discussion is what we'd do here, not in a place where you could be whipped for having your beard too short. I'm not even going to repeat what I said three times already, if you don't get it by now, you are beyond stupid. But then you're a troll, 99% of your kind are complete idiots.
I’m completely non-religious, but I respect and understand the importance it has with others both in the states where it gets you’re panties in a twist and elsewhere.

What I can’t stand are hypocrites and douchebags like yourself who rage a christians for having the audacity to want to talk to you.

You should consider yourself lucky that those people have the right to do that, and you likewise have the privilege to tell them how butt-hurt you are about it and how stupid and backward you think they are.

Although the left is pushing real hard for “hate speech” and “hate crime” laws so I suspect you’re gonna have to live with those panties up your ass.
  #100  
Old 09-30-2019, 12:01 AM
atimnie's Avatar
atimnie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2,523
You really are a stupid cunt who just doesn't fucking get it, or you are the most fucking annoying troll in existence.

"where it gets you’re panties in a twist"
YOUR, fucktard.

"What I can’t stand are hypocrites and douchebags like yourself who rage a christians for having the audacity to want to talk to you."
And if I clearly state that I don't want to talk to them, and they persist, they are being assholes, and I have the right to call them out on it, nothing at all hypocritical about that, idiot.

"and you likewise have the privilege to tell them how butt-hurt you are"
Not butt hurt, fucktard. Go back to the original post, read it slowly and carefully, and if you have the mental capacity (doubtful) figure out why you are wrong in what you've been saying. I am not butt hurt, just angry that the stupid bitch insisted on her attempted proselytizing when I told her, not interested, atheist, gave clear indications what I thought of her and her religion, and why I didn't want to talk about it. As I said before, if you don't get that, you are beyond stupid.

"Although the left is pushing real hard for “hate speech” and “hate crime” laws"
Against who? You are, as usual, completely full of shit.
__________________
Wait, you can do signatures?

Last edited by atimnie; 09-30-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017