Old 09-30-2019, 12:31 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

What indicates I'm sure? All I did was ask.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atimnie View Post
You really are a stupid cunt who just doesn't fucking get it, or you are the most fucking annoying troll in existence.

"where it gets you’re panties in a twist"
YOUR, fucktard.

"What I can’t stand are hypocrites and douchebags like yourself who rage a christians for having the audacity to want to talk to you."
And if I clearly state that I don't want to talk to them, and they persist, they are being assholes, and I have the right to call them out on it, nothing at all hypocritical about that, idiot.

"and you likewise have the privilege to tell them how butt-hurt you are"
Not butt hurt, fucktard. Go back to the original post, read it slowly and carefully, and if you have the mental capacity (doubtful) figure out why you are wrong in what you've been saying. I am not butt hurt, just angry that the stupid bitch insisted on her attempted proselytizing when I told her, not interested, atheist, gave clear indications what I thought of her and her religion, and why I didn't want to talk about it. As I said before, if you don't get that, you are beyond stupid.

"Although the left is pushing real hard for “hate speech” and “hate crime” laws"
Against who? You are, as usual, completely full of shit.
Why does it get both of your asscheeks SO RED that a Christian wants to talk religion with you? Look at the state of your meltdown above and tell me you don’t have some weird, deep down issue that you’re compensating for with anger.

So fucking what if a Christian approached you. You act like that shit was an affront to your entire manhood. If that little, minuscule thing has you THIS wound up then I’d hate to see you in any kind of situation that’s even remotely stressful. You’d be crying in a bathroom somewhere.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
What indicates I'm sure? All I did was ask.
Uh huh, a rather oddly specific request that you just thought of all by yourself.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:25 AM

"Why does it get both of your asscheeks SO RED that a Christian wants to talk religion with you? Look at the state of your meltdown above and tell me you don’t have some weird, deep down issue that you’re compensating for with anger.

So fucking what if a Christian approached you. You act like that shit was an affront to your entire manhood. If that little, minuscule thing has you THIS wound up then I’d hate to see you in any kind of situation that’s even remotely stressful. You’d be crying in a bathroom somewhere."

Again, too fucking stupid to get the fucking point, I'm not explaining this again, you're too stupid to argue with. My only response to you in the future will be, fuck off, fuck you, or some other such variant. Seriously, you're more annoying than that psycho god bitch.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
that psycho god bitch.
You’re quite the little misogynist aren’t ya. Is it because she was a strong woman and sure of her beliefs?
Old 09-30-2019, 01:59 AM

Fuck you, asshole.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
That's the way this bitch opened. "Do you know who Jesus was?" Yes, you stupid cunt, I know who fucking Jesus was. Do you think I'm as stupid as you are? I didn't say anything like that, right at that moment. It was only when the deluded bitch wouldn't take a fucking hint and shut the fuck up that I shouted, FUCK YOU. By that time, I had said a few nasty things about her, her beliefs, religion in general, bitch kept pushing. As I said before, I have no problem with the casually religious, it's only when they get in your face that they show themselves to be a self important asshole, rude, obnoxious, and totally oblivious to how rude and obnoxious they are. Their heads all full of god and Jesus, there's no room left for common sense or decency.
This is a worthy pit topic, and your ire is entirely justified.
And yes Annoyed is a tedious pissant and obvious troll.

But maybe ease up on the "bitch" and "cunt" a tad?

Sure, it's the Pit.
But ranting doesn't necessitate creating a toxic environment.

Kumbaya.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
Nah, I’m more curious as to how you seem to be so sure of yourself about my location.

Care to answer that?
Monty is not sure of your location, but he IS sure about something significant regarding Thailand which has been mentioned by folks living in Thailand who post on this forum. He has a reason for his questions which is quite clearly eluding you. It may be ruining the game by telling you this much, Angry Hamster, but clearly you have arrived unarmed to a battle of wits.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Oh I have very little doubt and I know I’m right (and you do too) that most of the Christian haters in this thread (you included) would prostrate themselves at the feet of the first Muslim who wanted to talk about the Koran and Islam, but would feign aggression (because pussies) at a Christian who wanted to talk about the Bible.

This is a fact.
I think you need to look up the meaning of the word Fact.

Your totally unsupported assumption =/= fact. Religions are the source of evil, IMO. ALL of them. The little bit of good they do is far, far outweighed by the bloodshed they have caused. So when you come telling me that some deity will right all my wrongs and make me happy and that there's a better place for me in the afterlife (or whatever the selling point of the moment is), don't be surprised to get nothing but a flat "No" and nothing more.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Monty is not sure of your location, but he IS sure about something significant regarding Thailand which has been mentioned by folks living in Thailand who post on this forum. He has a reason for his questions which is quite clearly eluding you. It may be ruining the game by telling you this much, Angry Hamster, but clearly you have arrived unarmed to a battle of wits.
Or, he could quit pussyfooting around and just come out with whatever this “something significant” is.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:49 AM

Or you could simply answer a simple question, you simpleton.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Or, he could quit pussyfooting around and just come out with whatever this “something significant” is.
If you lived in Thailand you wouldn't need to be told as the something is very common knowledge in that country. So, at best, you've visited Thailand, but you are not a permanent resident.

OK... ::: scratches off one item on list ::: ... Angry Hamster does not live in Thailand.

This is fun - anyone else have Significant Questions by which to narrow down Angry Hamster's location? Let's play twenty questions!
Old 09-30-2019, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
When people get uppity about bible thumpers, I wish I could be a fly on the wall during an interaction of the same quality featuring a different religion. I’d just like to know if the reaction is equal and proportionate or not. I’d wager a months salary it wouldn’t be.
I was just as rude to the last attempt to convert me to the cult of the earthly manifestation of the Seven Deadly Sins (marginally ruder, actually -- I've never commented on a god-botherer's sartorial choices, but I told this guy that his little red cap just called attention to his baldness).

Now you have a reason to be "Annoyed"; you owe me a month's salary.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Or you could simply answer a simple question, you simpleton.
Or you can simply kiss my beautiful white ass.

If I was in Thailand (which I am not, you fucking moron) why would I take your bait & answer a question that could get me arrested if answered in a certain way.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
anyone else have Significant Questions by which to narrow down Angry Hamster's location?
Why would ya wanna do that? Y’all gettin’ all stalky-pants on little ole me?
Old 09-30-2019, 09:17 AM

Halloween's coming up!

Don't forget! Goes great with a Snickers!

https://www.chick.com/
Old 09-30-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:

If I was in Thailand (which I am not, you fucking moron) why would I take your bait & answer a question that could get me arrested if answered in a certain way.
I don't think you are in Thailand because your mom probably wouldn't have a basement for you to live in in Thailand.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are you feeling lonely, Angry Hamster? Unloved? Unwanted? Undesirable? There are better ways to get what you want than by mooning people. Or perhaps you feel that is your least-ugly feature. Sad.

Quote:
Ah, so you DO know the Secret Answer!

Quote:
Why would ya wanna do that? Y’all gettin’ all stalky-pants on little ole me?
So I know where NOT to go on my next vacation. Sort of anti-stalking. A means of avoiding trolls and pond scum (with my apologies to the to Cyanophyta phyllum for the comparison).

You do realize that I am pointing and laughing, right?
Old 09-30-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken View Post
Don't forget! Goes great with a Snickers!

https://www.chick.com/
"This Halloween, give kids the gospel with their candy."
Or you could just give them candy and not be a proselytizing prick.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
"This Halloween, give kids the gospel with their candy."
Or you could just give them candy and not be a proselytizing prick.
Hey, I'm giving them some credit for "with their candy" - a tract with a Reese's is fine. It's not like they knocked on your door.

Last edited by Folacin; 09-30-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:03 AM

Jack Chick started writing those in the early 70s. That's when I saw my first one, I think.
Some of them are just vile.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Lol, you probably have family members who won't speak to you. "Here comes drunk Uncle Annoyed again with his crazy Old White Guy bullshit."
Old 09-30-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

More like "here comes nephew Annoyed again - when will he give up the emo-goth phase bullshit and get a real job?"
Old 09-30-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I absolutely love talking to these people:

So you believe women should sit down and shut the fuck up in church?
So why aren't you out killing witches?
Do you eat pork? Shellfish?

One of them offered to buy me a meal at Chick-Fil-A. Never mind that I'm a vegetarian. As I shot back: I'd pee my pants before I'd go in there to use the bathroom.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Hey, I'm giving them some credit for "with their candy" - a tract with a Reese's is fine. It's not like they knocked on your door.
A tract given to small children, telling them they and their families are going to hell?

No, not fine at all.

(If instead you mean a note saying 'please tell your parents/caretakers we'd be happy to talk with them about our religion', that would be fine. I've got my doubts that's what's being handed out, though.)

-- if you don't want your door knocked on at Halloween, turn out the outside lights. If trick or treaters knock anyway, don't answer the door. It's not required.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I’m completely non-religious, but I respect and understand the importance it has with others both in the states where it gets you’re panties in a twist and elsewhere.

I don't believe you . You are a good old Evangelical god botherer, and if a Musilm were to knock on your door your first instinct would be to call ICE on him, and get him arrested as a terrorist.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:50 AM

I'm a Christian, but I don't believe in evangelizing, and it irritates me no end. When a guy came up to me on the street and asked if he could talk to me about Jesus, I said eagerly, "Sure, right after I talk to you about our Needle Beach time shares in Florida!" He rolled his eyes and turned away.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
I'm a Christian, but I don't believe in evangelizing, and it irritates me no end. When a guy came up to me on the street and asked if he could talk to me about Jesus, I said eagerly, "Sure, right after I talk to you about our Needle Beach time shares in Florida!" He rolled his eyes and turned away.
This is important to note. I too am a Christian but that doesn’t make us immune to evangelists. We get pestered same as anyone else. Either we’re not the right denomination, or we don’t go to their church, or whatever. Even if you answer, yes I believe in Christ and have been saved, you’ll get the same spiel as a non-Christian.

I had it happen to me a few years ago when my car was in the shop and I needed a ride from a coworker, I was waiting in a parking lot where we’d agreed to meet up and some guy comes up and starts preaching. I am stuck and he knows it and I am enduring his crap for a good 10 minutes or so. I’m trying to politely fend him off but it’s doing no good.

To me that’s evidence that these people aren’t even doing it for the reason they claim. They’re not “saving souls”, they’re salesmen for whatever church they’re representing. I’m guessing the real goal is to get donation money from people who they can add to their congregation. Like I’d join a church that pesters strangers on the street.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:26 PM

<Annoyed>

"Everyone is talking about me! I'm special! I am somebody important"

It's actually quite sad and pathetic when you think about it.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
I don't believe you . You are a good old Evangelical god botherer, and if a Musilm were to knock on your door your first instinct would be to call ICE on him, and get him arrested as a terrorist.
And this is A FACT.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It is one thing to think you are an influence when you are only a mosquito, but it is quite another to know that you are a mosquito and take pride in the fact.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:32 PM

"<Annoyed>

It's actually quite sad and pathetic when you think about it."

More pathetic than sad, almost funny, but absolutely contemptible. Asshole had to drag his shit into the games forum. Got reported immediately. Waiting for her/him/it to do it again so it gets its ass banned... again.

Last edited by atimnie; 09-30-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:32 PM

One of the benefits of attending a Catholic school upbringing, is that I am familiar enough with the bible to shoot down any BS people try to tell me it says. If I'm feeling particularly sporting, I usually tell them how their "services are no longer needed as God speaks directly through me, although I am but a lowly minor prophet." No one has continued past that point. I haven't used it on Jahova's Witnesses yet, but they have been hanging around my front lawn lately.....
Old 09-30-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Oh I have very little doubt and I know I’m right (and you do too) that most of the Christian haters in this thread (you included) would prostrate themselves at the feet of the first Muslim who wanted to talk about the Koran and Islam, but would feign aggression (because pussies) at a Christian who wanted to talk about the Bible.

This is a fact.
Can I see your methodology? (I'm assuming you ran a double blind experiment, and published your results in a peer-reviewed journal?)
Old 09-30-2019, 12:48 PM

Going back to the OP, for really persistent "missionaries" who block my way, I'd consider giving them an offering of pepper spray.

Do they get extra points or what for making a convert?
Old 09-30-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
Going back to the OP, for really persistent "missionaries" who block my way, I'd consider giving them an offering of pepper spray.

Do they get extra points or what for making a convert?
For some, they get "martyr points" if they are abused.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:54 PM

Personally, I stick with a variant of thorny locust's approach: a polite "Sorry, I don't discuss my personal religious beliefs."

After saying that phrase verbatim in response to three successive attempts to proselytize me, I consider myself entitled to go back to my book or whatever it was I was doing and ignore the proselytizer. If the proselytizer continues to try to engage, every now and again I'll look up, smile vaguely, and repeat "Sorry, I don't discuss my personal religious beliefs."

Courteous, non-confrontational, and maximally effective in making it clear who's the asshole in this situation. Sometimes a random co-religionist of the proselytizer will even join in to shut down the proselytizer with an exasperated "Brother/sister/whatever, didn't you hear her, she said she doesn't discuss her religious beliefs!"

There are plenty of religious believers who are deeply embarrassed by asshole proselytizers of their faith, and if you don't piss them off with insults they will often help you out in fending off the assholes.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I have found some success in saying "I am comfortable with my current relationship with God, thank you." and walking off. The bonus is that anyone can say this, including an atheist - who would, of course, be comfortable with having a non-existent relationship with an non-existent being. Almost invariably it seems the pest projects their own faith relationship onto that statement and walks off in search of someone else to score karma points off of.

Last edited by Broomstick; 09-30-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:29 PM

I will admit, I have anger issues, and probably could not pull it off that simply. I was polite in the beginning, I said not interested. They persisted, I said I'm an atheist. When they persisted, that's when I told them their beliefs were stupid, the bible bullshit, all in response to direct questions that I did not want to answer, but if they persisted, goddamn it, I wasn't going to give them any answers they wanted.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I will admit, I have anger issues, and probably could not pull it off that simply. I was polite in the beginning, I said not interested. They persisted, I said I'm an atheist. When they persisted, that's when I told them their beliefs were stupid, the bible bullshit, all in response to direct questions that I did not want to answer, but if they persisted, goddamn it, I wasn't going to give them any answers they wanted.
I can sympathize with somebody losing their temper on being repeatedly pestered by an annoying religious proselytizer with unsolicited attempts at conversion. (And I would likewise sympathize with a religious believer losing their temper on being repeatedly pestered by an annoying atheist proselytizer with unsolicited rational-materialist critiques of religion.) Just noting that if you want to make it crystal clear to all observers that it's the annoying proselytizer who's the asshole, keeping your temper works best.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
You're never alone with Jesus!

The thing is, I've never ever ever been approached by any other religion except Christian-flavoured idiots. Ever. Non-religious idiots (like salespeople) usually get the exact same treatment. Which is a polite "no thank you" followed by an increasing level as hostility the more they insist.
I have.

I'm a pretty ordinary, mainstream, church-going Catholic. I don't preach, I don't proselytize, I don't really care all that much about what you or anyone else (except maybe my children) believes or doesn't believe.

But I've been cornered by militant atheists, who can be, believe me, just as obnoxious as the Christians described in the OP.

And we get the Tony Alamo people working the NYC subways once in a while. They're pretty bad. Actually, they're kind of fun to engage, given that they have a serious bee in their bonnets about the Catholic Church.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
But I've been cornered by militant atheists, who can be, believe me, just as obnoxious as the Christians described in the OP.
1. I have never seen this happen.
2. Taking for granted that this happened, what in your mind makes them "militant", and do you call Christians who do the same thing "militant"?
Old 09-30-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
If you lived in Thailand you wouldn't need to be told as the something is very common knowledge in that country. So, at best, you've visited Thailand, but you are not a permanent resident.

OK... ::: scratches off one item on list ::: ... Angry Hamster does not live in Thailand.

This is fun - anyone else have Significant Questions by which to narrow down Angry Hamster's location? Let's play twenty questions!

I just love that game!

Here's a list of countries in Southeast Asia (I reformatted it for, the non-annoyed stupid, should be an obvious reason):
  • Brunei
  • Cambodia
  • East Timor (Timor-Leste)
  • Indonesia
  • Laos
  • Malaysia
  • Myanmar
  • Philippines
  • Singapore
  • Thailand
  • Vietnam

Quote:

Let's hope you're not in Singapore either. Stunts/comments like that can get you arrested there.

Quote:

Again, where did I ever say you were in Thailand, you simpleton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I don't think you are in Thailand because your mom probably wouldn't have a basement for you to live in in Thailand.

Hah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
Lol, you probably have family members who won't speak to you. "Here comes drunk Uncle Annoyed again with his crazy Old White Guy bullshit."

I would not be surprised if he has family members who deny their relationship. "That drunk guy? Nope, he's not my uncle. No relationship whatsoever. We're not even related through Adam."

Quote:
More like "here comes nephew Annoyed again - when will he give up the emo-goth phase bullshit and get a real job?"

My mother was pleased as punch when I went out and got my first job (paper boy, as it was called at the time) when I was ten years old. His mom? Poor lass is likely hoping he'll just go out and not come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post

Years ago, when my best friend and I got off the train in Ebina, Japan, a young Japanese man came up to us and said to us, "I am Christian. Can I pray for you?" So, I told him, "Sure. Go for it. We're Christians, too." When he blocked our way, I then told him, "Look, friend; you can pray for us over there. Get out of our way." I wonder if that response changed his planned prayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
This is important to note. I too am a Christian but that doesn’t make us immune to evangelists. We get pestered same as anyone else. Either we’re not the right denomination, or we don’t go to their church, or whatever. Even if you answer, yes I believe in Christ and have been saved, you’ll get the same spiel as a non-Christian.

I had it happen to me a few years ago when my car was in the shop and I needed a ride from a coworker, I was waiting in a parking lot where we’d agreed to meet up and some guy comes up and starts preaching. I am stuck and he knows it and I am enduring his crap for a good 10 minutes or so. I’m trying to politely fend him off but it’s doing no good.

To me that’s evidence that these people aren’t even doing it for the reason they claim. They’re not “saving souls”, they’re salesmen for whatever church they’re representing. I’m guessing the real goal is to get donation money from people who they can add to their congregation. Like I’d join a church that pesters strangers on the street.

You see, those folks completely misunderstand the bit about not hiding their light under a bushel. To me that means you should let the way you live your life show the goodness of your beliefs. No need to pester folks about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
<Annoyed>

It's actually quite sad and pathetic when you think about it.

It's Trump-tastic! Seriously, that's exactly the way Trump operates.

Quote:
More pathetic than sad, almost funny, but absolutely contemptible. Asshole had to drag his shit into the games forum. Got reported immediately. Waiting for her/him/it to do it again so it gets its ass banned... again.

Link, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyFro View Post
Can I see your methodology? (I'm assuming you ran a double blind experiment, and published your results in a peer-reviewed journal?)

Don't you know? He has no peer!
Old 09-30-2019, 04:46 PM

"But I've been cornered by militant atheists, who can be, believe me, just as obnoxious as the Christians described in the OP."
Where do you live that this is happening? I know YouTube atheists can be very aggressive, but I've never heard of this offline.

Last edited by atimnie; 09-30-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
1. I have never seen this happen.
As an atheist who sang in various church choirs for years (b/c choral music awesome and what the rest of the congregation believes or doesn't believe about deities is no skin off my butt), I've seen it happen first-hand, and more than once.

Example: leaving a Saturday-night party with the comment that I need to be up early for church the next morning, and getting an impertinent question along the lines of "Do you really believe there exists some kind of sky fairy who cares which building you sit in on a Sunday morning?"

(No, but you can bet your ass my choirmaster cares, and he definitely exists.) "Sorry, I don't discuss my personal religious beliefs." (Partly because I'm not about to give a rude smug asshole like you any validation for your smug rudeness by identifying myself as a member of your "team".)

"You won't discuss them because you know they'd be torn to pieces in rational argument!"

"Sorry, I don't discuss my personal religious beliefs." (Bye, asshole.)
Old 09-30-2019, 04:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
"But I've been cornered by militant atheists, who can be, believe me, just as obnoxious as the Christians described in the OP."
Where do you live that this is happening? I know YouTube atheists can be very aggressive, but I've never heard of this offline.
Did they wear uniforms? Were they carrying weapons? Did they refer to each other by rank?

Or is this the weakest attempt at "They do it tooo!!" this board has seen in years?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 09-30-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Did they wear uniforms? Were they carrying weapons? Did they refer to each other by rank?

Or is this the weakest attempt at "They do it tooo!!" this board has seen in years?

Well, the way some of those in the Salvation Army play their instruments, the things should be considered weapons!
Old 09-30-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by atimnie

Link, please?

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...=870727&page=2

65 and 66 are the relevant posts.

Last edited by atimnie; 09-30-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just love that game!
Me, too! Let's play some more.

OK, here's the current list:
  • Brunei
  • Cambodia
  • East Timor (Timor-Leste)
  • Indonesia
  • Laos
  • Malaysia
  • Myanmar
  • Philippines
  • Singapore
  • Thailand
  • Vietnam

Next Significant Question: Angry Hamster, can you legally purchase chewing gum where you live? Yes or no.

::: sits back to await answer :::
Old 09-30-2019, 05:06 PM

"Did they wear uniforms? Were they carrying weapons? Did they refer to each other by rank?

"

Let's give him the benefit of a doubt (what a strange phrase). Just because we've never heard of it happening doesn't mean it didn't. But if it did happen, that's still a very small number compared to all the religious zealots going door to door, preaching on street corners and college campuses (they are seriously losing the battle there).