• Indonesia
  • Laos
  • Malaysia
  • Myanmar
  • Philippines
  • Singapore
  • Thailand
  • Vietnam

Next Significant Question: Angry Hamster, can you legally purchase chewing gum where you live? Yes or no.

::: sits back to await answer :::

I think he knocked that one out of the running with the offensive suggestion (offensive by local law there).
Old 09-30-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atimnie View Post
"Did they wear uniforms? Were they carrying weapons? Did they refer to each other by rank?

Or is this the weakest attempt at "They do it tooo!!" this board has seen in years?
"

Let's give him the benefit of a doubt (what a strange phrase). Just because we've never heard of it happening doesn't mean it didn't. But if it did happen, that's still a very small number compared to all the religious zealots going door to door, preaching on street corners and college campuses (they are seriously losing the battle there).
I'll give the benefit of the doubt, but I still want to know what qualified them as "militant".
Old 09-30-2019, 05:30 PM

I have spoken to aggressive atheists who are openly upset that an adult is naive enough to believe in “fairy tales” (you see that on this board all the time), or that will challenge you to prove your faith is “wrong” (less frequent on these boards).

But what you don’t see are atheists walking up to strangers on the street to convert them to their belief system (or lack of one, that’s another debate). Nobody but evangelical Christians do that.

That’s a huge difference. Having an opposing opinion you’re passionate about is normal. You can argue about sports teams or politics or hot dog toppings (that last one can lead to bloodshed) but nobody is accosting strangers on the street about them. (Petition signature gatherers come close I guess but they are up front about what they want from you and a “no thanks” will almost always work.)
Old 09-30-2019, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I think he knocked that one out of the running with the offensive suggestion (offensive by local law there).
True, but mooning people can get you on a sex offender's list in some places in the US, too, so I don't view it as definitive.

Can you think of any other Significant Questions to shorten The List?
Old 09-30-2019, 06:11 PM

On the one hand I don't care where the silly bigoted troll lives, but on the other hand this subject seems to annoy him, so as far as I'm concerned have at it.

On the subject of the thread, I live in an area that is oversaturated with mormons, which seems to put a damper on other sorts of proselytizing. And at some point I convinced my local branch that I was a lost cause, so peaceful bliss!

Were I accosted in a parking lot, I would of course answer any questions honestly. Including telling them I think they're demon worshipers if they're one of the christian/jewish/muslim types. And no, I wouldn't be worried about reprisals or anything, because all the parking lots around here are in america.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:15 PM

I recently got in my car to see that someone had placed a rainbow-colored tract with the word "PRIDE" on it under my windshield wipers, and because it had rained in the meantime, it was stuck to the glass. Yeah, the JWs struck again.

A while back, a friend of mine was accosted by a JW as she was entering the library where a club we're in meets, and this woman wouldn't get out of her way! I asked if she told the librarian about it, because they are NOT supposed to do that on public property. She didn't, although she said the woman did freak out a bit when my friend told her that she was a practicing Christian for many years but is now pagan, and no, she didn't want to convert back.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:15 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
True, but mooning people can get you on a sex offender's list in some places in the US, too, so I don't view it as definitive.

Good point.

Quote:
Can you think of any other Significant Questions to shorten The List?

Oh, definitely. But I like to follow the game rules.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:36 PM

Never mind where it is, let's try to figure out what it is. Pretty sure it's not human. Maybe a mutated mockingbird, seems most likely.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
On the one hand I don't care where the silly bigoted troll lives, but on the other hand this subject seems to annoy him, so as far as I'm concerned have at it.

To be fair, plenty of stuff seems to annoy him. Facts, for one.

Quote:
On the subject of the thread, I live in an area that is oversaturated with mormons, which seems to put a damper on other sorts of proselytizing.

See? There is some value to having us LDS types around.

Quote:
Were I accosted in a parking lot, I would of course answer any questions honestly. Including telling them I think they're demon worshipers if they're one of the christian/jewish/muslim types. And no, I wouldn't be worried about reprisals or anything, because all the parking lots around here are in america.

I, for one, would appreciate that. And that's because I admire honesty and America!
Old 09-30-2019, 07:40 PM

I've found that a really long driveway and a couple of dogs work wonders. Nobody comes to my door.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:06 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken View Post
Jack Chick started writing those in the early 70s. That's when I saw my first one, I think.
Some of them are just vile.
Oh now, they're all just vile. But some of them are completely fucking hilarious.

For those who don't want to click on a link to chick.com (Dearly Fucking Dead Forever Jack Chick's site), it's two panels are captioned (if you want the images, I'm gonna make ya click):

As we get closer to the second coming of Jesus...Satanism will increase. So will human sacrifice!*

Halloween started in the British Isles with the Druids. Those guys were really spooky.**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
I don't believe you . You are a good old Evangelical god botherer, and if a Musilm were to knock on your door your first instinct would be to call ICE on him, and get him arrested as a terrorist.
Yeah, that's what I have him pegged for. A butthurt christian who can't believe that we would disrespect his Jeebus.

Edited to add: Yes, I am actually MUCH worse in real life. People still seem to like me. They call and ask me to do stuff with them, at least.

ETA2: Hey Annoyed: your dumb ass isn't in Texas, either, are ya?

*Why? Is Jesus Causing this? That stupid fucker.

**Ooooooo! Sounds awesome, where do I find out more about those guys?

Last edited by scabpicker; 09-30-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:47 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
"Did they wear uniforms? Were they carrying weapons? Did they refer to each other by rank?

Or is this the weakest attempt at "They do it tooo!!" this board has seen in years?
"

Let's give him the benefit of a doubt (what a strange phrase). Just because we've never heard of it happening doesn't mean it didn't. But if it did happen, that's still a very small number compared to all the religious zealots going door to door, preaching on street corners and college campuses (they are seriously losing the battle there).
Heh, those nutballs are where I learned to get good at being rude. I would be walking to class, have a few minutes, and would decide to debate them. Did you know that they have lackeys who try to distract you if you try to do that. I'm blessed with a voice that can compete with anything short of a small PA system, so I'd look that person in the eye and say at the top of my voice "NO, ASSHOLE, I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU. I WANT TO TALK TO THAT ASSHOLE!" After that, they'd try to do their duty, but from far outside whispering distance.

In all deference to Annoyed the last time I heckled a "BARACK OBAMA DOESN'T DO ANYTHING FOR BLACK PEOPLE!!!!" street preacher (I didn't bother trying to figure out what brand of monotheism they were selling and they didn't mention a particular savior), I didn't do it at the top of my voice. Of course, that was because no one was getting in my face - probably because neither he or I had filed for a permit to talk on the street corner (the folks at college had to), I would probably start moving again as soon as the walk signal lit and I kind of have the countenance, manner and raiment that certain people associate with a crazy, degenerate person (that's what some friends try to advise me of, at least). I did however do it loud enough that he and his entire entourage looked at me quite hard.

Yeah, I also flip people the bird on the freeway when they drive like assholes. I'm probably going to die in a bloody fashion, but there's no reason to live in fear. Plus, I just gotta get it off my chest sometimes. If some day I suddenly stop posting here, you know what probably happened. Check and see if anyone got shot, stabbed or beat to death for being needlessly confrontational in DFW. If that didn't happen, check and see if someone got shot, stabbed or just plain beat to death while breaking into a Chick Fil A on a Sunday in order to make a sammich while loaded on hallucinogens. If those didn't happen, I dunno, use your imagination.

I really do have some sense. I swear I don't go off at the mildest provocation, I might curse like I have tourettes, but I usually am nice. I don't usually take strong hallucinogens on Sundays. But I just can't help yelling back at some idiots, which includes flipping the bird in my physical vocabulary.

Last edited by scabpicker; 09-30-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken View Post
Jack Chick started writing those in the early 70s. That's when I saw my first one, I think.
Some of them are just vile.
Back in my table-waiting days, I was left those as tips more than once. I wouldn't have minded if they had left some money as well, but nope, just the tract. I've heard that they even have one that looks like a bill, so a waiter will think they got a tip, but no, it's one of these mini-comic books that is unintentionally funny (sometimes).

It's not the kind of Christianity I believe in, that's for sure.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Oh now, they're all just vile. But some of them are completely fucking hilarious.

For those who don't want to click on a link to chick.com (Dearly Fucking Dead Forever Jack Chick's site), it's two panels are captioned (if you want the images, I'm gonna make ya click):

As we get closer to the second coming of Jesus...Satanism will increase. So will human sacrifice!*

Halloween started in the British Isles with the Druids. Those guys were really spooky.**

Yeah, that's what I have him pegged for. A butthurt christian who can't believe that we would disrespect his Jeebus.

Edited to add: Yes, I am actually MUCH worse in real life. People still seem to like me. They call and ask me to do stuff with them, at least.

ETA2: Hey Annoyed: your dumb ass isn't in Texas, either, are ya?

*Why? Is Jesus Causing this? That stupid fucker.

**Ooooooo! Sounds awesome, where do I find out more about those guys?
If you changed the target of mockery from “jesus” to “allah” or any other religion, would you and everyone else in here still be mocking it?

I seriously doubt it, and that is my problem. There would be posters hammering the report button and posters trying to get the offenders banned for hate speech and whatever else horseshit the weaklings can think up.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
If you changed the target of mockery from “jesus” to “allah” or any other religion, would you and everyone else in here still be mocking it?

I seriously doubt it, and that is my problem. There would be posters hammering the report button and posters trying to get the offenders banned for hate speech and whatever else horseshit the weaklings can think up.

You are a complete stranger to reality, aren't you?
Old 09-30-2019, 11:58 PM

Mohammad was a pedophile, if he existed at all. Allah is just a second rate god, just as fictional as any other god. And the 72 virgins you get for becoming a martyr are all ugly guys.

Mormonism is stupid, assholes believing in the ravings of a proven con man.

Jehovah's Witnesses are stupid, basing their religion largely on Revelation, a book clearly written under the influence of desert mushrooms

Scientology is just fucked up beyond anything, and if you believe any of this bullshit, you are also fucked up.

Now what was that annoying mutated mockingbird saying about not mocking other religions? You'd think it would get tired of being wrong all the time.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:16 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:

Dumbfuck, I just told you that I heckled what was most likely a Nation of Islam preacher on the streetcorner. I have problems. I've also told persons that I've known that I'm certain were Muslim that I have 0 time for that nonsense. Do you really think a Jew or Hindu really tried to convert me? It wasn't pushy, and he knew that I was a joker, but I really did say "I'm sorry, but I think your god is a foolish god" over dietary restrictions to a Muslim when the conversation veered to religion. We were friends, and we were in the safety of the US, and were friends afterward. Some people can take it.

But, mind you: I'm also the person who says things out loud that I honest to goodness thought I was just thinking. Once this was "Plus, I don't give a fuck what you think". So, you must remember that not everyone around you has their conscious, rational mind in the driver's seat the whole time. Sometimes the deep, dark insides just decide "nope, things just got weird, we're running things for a few minutes until stuff has settled". Sometimes you're really ashamed when that's over, sometimes your proud, and sometimes you're dead.

Last edited by scabpicker; 10-01-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:

I’m pissed off by the uptight dipshit Muslims that murdered people for making cartoons they found offensive. Though that’s a massive tangent from this thread.

Of course now I’m getting banned according to you.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
You'd think it would get tired of being wrong all the time.

One must do what one does best.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:58 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

I would just like to take this break in the action and say this has been a really great group session, I got a lot of stuff off my chest and I feel a lot better. I'm going to finish my beer and go to sleep.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
You are a complete stranger to reality, aren't you?
Complete stranger to reality? Probably.
Complete stranger to this board? Oh fucking yeah!

CMC fnord!
Old 10-01-2019, 03:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh hell yes - pretty sure we've done just that multiple times. I have a healthy disrespect for any and all religion, including my own.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
I would just like to take this break in the action and say this has been a really great group session, I got a lot of stuff off my chest and I feel a lot better. I'm going to finish my beer and go to sleep.

Friend, if you ever feel the need to freak out over any particular religion or faith-tradition, even mine, you can hit me up. I promise not to take it personally. Hell, I might even join you in the gripe, even about mine if it comes to that.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:57 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Hehehe, ok. But I'm not going to go to China. That's one of those places where it seems I'd probably be getting in trouble the whole time.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Telling you to kiss my white ass on a forum is not illegal in Singapore lmfao.

But sure, keep guessing.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Telling you to kiss my white ass on a forum is not illegal in Singapore lmfao.
The weird thing is that this guy keeps talking about his white ass as if it's something special. It isn't. 7 billion+ people have asses, and something like 800 million are white, and therefore have white asses. Globally, it's as common as being left handed. A little statistically unusual but nothing special. So his ass is white, big deal. Him and 800 million other people. ::: yawn :::
Old 10-02-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
The weird thing is that this guy keeps talking about his white ass as if it's something special. It isn't. 7 billion+ people have asses, and something like 800 million are white, and therefore have white asses. Globally, it's as common as being left handed. A little statistically unusual but nothing special. So his ass is white, big deal. Him and 800 million other people. ::: yawn :::
What’s more weird is that me making a statement (once) and then repeating in contextually (once more) bothers you so badly that you felt compelled write such a oddly specific post.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

You don't bother me, you amuse me. You make me laugh because you are so ridiculous. You are a momentary distraction, like the latest report of crazy coming out of Florida or some other place.

We are mocking you, chuckles. We are laughing at you. You think you're being annoying but you're not. You're just another another anonymous wannbe troll lurking on the internet. Sort of like a mouse crouching by a baseboard thinking he's unseen but really, the rest of us are watching you snatch at crumbs like they're something precious instead of forgotten motes were were unaware of shedding at the time they dropped. And for the moment you're a bit of entertainment and diversion.

In the end, I expect you'll overstay your welcome or do something objectionable and be swatted away.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:09 AM

I seem to have only encountered the more harmless variants over the years, that give up easily and politely. I think I may have seen off one evangelist by giving him a radiant smile and saying: "Thanks, but I'm already a Christian." Well, that is stretching it a bit, but I was baptized and have never bothered to change my highly nominal status.

I find Broomstick's reply really neat. Some of the others, though, are straight from the playground.

Seriously weird; encourtering a Japanese JW in japan. She spoke no English, my Japanese was and is minimal. For once I was glad of the language barrier.

Less weird: running into two archetypal young male Mormons while vacationing in Kyongju in South Korea. Two round-eyes in neat brown suits on a street corner. They asked me if I was lost, and they helped me find my hotel. We chatted a bit, they were friendly and not obnoxious, but we mainly kept off religion.

Still somewhat weird: two female Polish JWs came to the door. I live in Poland, and the place is seriously Catholic. As in: the local priest makes a visit just after Christmas, accompanied by two choirboys, and dispenses a blessing and some rather kitchy religious pictures, usually a bleeding heart Jesus. But he never stays long enough for me to take the piss out of him, unfortunately. anyway, the JWs spoke no English, and my Polish is minimal. But what made them into JWs, I ask myself. There's enough religion over here as it is.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:16 AM

Maybe this is one for Californians, but do any of the new religions trawl for new members? Japan has a number of new religions that are more or less based on Buddhism, such as AUM Shinrikyu (I saw them a few times and town and thought they were seriously loony but harmless. The first was true, the second was not.) Other parts of Asia have much the same, thing, including China's Falun Gong. India supplies gurus aplenty, and you have offshoots of Islam such as Bah'ai.

Regarding Islam, in Europe they do quite a bit of preaching, but they mainly target Muslims. So this tends to be the more extreme forms of Islam such as Salafism and Wahhabism. The occasional Westerner who converts to Islam is often the keenest missionary. Same as someone who has just discovered Christ, IMHO.

I'm all for religious freedom. I want to be free of someone else's religion.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:05 AM

For me, it's always Jehova's at the front door. They seem nice, and they leave without conflict, but I wonder now what effect a pentagram on the front porch, right where you'd have to stand to ring the bell might have.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:29 PM

I was going to start a new thread, but since this fits in the category of knowing when to shut up...

Oct. 3 was bring your bible to school day. Not the religious book of your chosen religion, not the quran, not the torah. The goddamn fucking bible. If this was share your faith day, I'd have less of a problem with it. As it is, there's a shit ton of problems.

The first problem is where it came from, and the motives behind it. This was started by Focus on the Family, a right wing anti-gay fundamentalist organization, a more fitting name for which would be Focus on My Bullshit Beliefs and Bigotry. The goal is to get a foot in the door of separation of church and state, get the bibles in the school, then get prayer back in school, then start teaching you anti-gay, anti-evolution, anti-science bullshit. I didn't say it would work, but that's the apparent goal here.

Second problem, politicians are getting involved. The fucking governor of Kentucky went on social media to encourage children as young as kindergarten to proselytize their fellow students. If someone brought a quran and tried to tell students about that, this fucker's head would explode. Fucking double standard.

Third problem, along the double standards line, when is bring your science book to church day? If you want to spread your religious bullshit through the schools, why can't I teach science in church? If you get to propagate your mythology in school, why can't I encourage reason and teach the true origins of christianity in church? Fucking double standard is why.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:54 PM

I'm OK with a public school having Bibles available for checkout in the library. (My schools always did.) I'm also OK with students reading the Bible in study hall or teachers reading it in the lounge, and extracurricular groups like Fellowship of Christian Athletes, as long as nobody is required to join.

(or the Koran, or the Torah, or the Bhagavad-Gita, or, or, or.........)

I am NOT OK with a declaration like the one above.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Third problem, along the double standards line, when is bring your science book to church day? If you want to spread your religious bullshit through the schools, why can't I teach science in church? If you get to propagate your mythology in school, why can't I encourage reason and teach the true origins of christianity in church? Fucking double standard is why.
We used to talk about science in my bible study group, I remember an interesting discussion on quantum physics. We used to get into all kinds of interesting tangents. Science and faith aren’t mutually exclusive, but it can be challenging to reconcile them, and at times it can be interesting to analyze one through the perspective of the other.

Also, government sponsoring an event that brings the teachings of one religion to school to the exclusion of others is a pretty blatant violation of the Establishment Clause.

Last edited by Atamasama; 10-05-2019 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:32 AM

Fundy jeezoids / dominationists never seem to consider consequences. Let's say they DO get their cult established. Guess what? The US 1st Amendment is not about protecting government from churches, but just the opposite. Get ready for a cabinet-level Dept of Religion... with all the bureaucratic efficiency of a welfare office or cable company.

To be a Church, meet these guidelines, all 28 gigabytes of legalese. And after the next election, all new rules will be written, the old Church will be banned or at least taxed, and a new Church will be mandatory. Until the next administration change.

If a mook wants to talk about religion, change the subject to taxing churches. Their reactions should be entertaining.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:49 AM

We used to talk about science in my bible study group

This is not the same as preaching in front of a congregation, or being taught science in Sunday school. A number of things may be discussed in bible study, but I have never heard of, nor expect to, science being preached from the pulpit. That will never happen, not in a fundie church Focus on Bullshit would approve of. Unitarian church, maybe.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
We used to talk about science in my bible study group

This is not the same as preaching in front of a congregation, or being taught science in Sunday school. A number of things may be discussed in bible study, but I have never heard of, nor expect to, science being preached from the pulpit.
I wouldn't expect to either, unless it were somehow directly related to the topic of the sermon, because that's not what the pulpit is for.

Now, I would expect a church-run private school to teach science. I would expect that some of them do a very good job of teaching science, and some of them do a bad job; and that the more fundamentalist churches are more likely to fall into the latter category. But it would be interesting to see some good evidence, as opposed to anecdotal evidence or sheer speculation (speaking of Science...).
Old 10-05-2019, 12:48 PM

But it would be interesting to see some good evidence, as opposed to anecdotal evidence or sheer speculation (speaking of Science...)

If you are talking about anecdotal evidence and speculation, you are not speaking of science.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But it would be interesting to see some good evidence, as opposed to anecdotal evidence or sheer speculation (speaking of Science...)

If you are talking about anecdotal evidence and speculation, you are not speaking of science.
Yes, that's my point.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:31 PM

The wording made it seem you had gone to the dark side.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Fundy jeezoids / dominationists never seem to consider consequences. Let's say they DO get their cult established. Guess what? The US 1st Amendment is not about protecting government from churches, but just the opposite. Get ready for a cabinet-level Dept of Religion... with all the bureaucratic efficiency of a welfare office or cable company.

To be a Church, meet these guidelines, all 28 gigabytes of legalese. And after the next election, all new rules will be written, the old Church will be banned or at least taxed, and a new Church will be mandatory. Until the next administration change.
This. This, this, this.

All these people who want state-sponsored religion seem to assume that of course it will be their own particular branch of religion that will be so sponsored. Religions schism; it's just what they do. There must be hundreds of different versions of Christianity alone. Even if the state picks g*-your particular version at the moment: sooner or later, whatever g-you practice, that's going to be the version that's on the outs.

*that's g-for-general, general-you: does not refer to any particular poster or indeed to any specific individual. This language could IMO use some more pronouns, and not only to deal with genders.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You weren't specific enough.

"No solicitors. This includes religitards, political canvassers, and pollsters."
Or install a chain next to the sign, with a dictionary hanging from it.

And a Post-it note sticking out from the “S” section, where the word “solicitor” is highlighted.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Or install a chain next to the sign, with a dictionary hanging from it.

And a Post-it note sticking out from the “S” section, where the word “solicitor” is highlighted.
I foresee a slew of IoT doorcam apps hosting image recognition AIs that trigger reactions to (un)recognized folks at the door. Known? Let-em ring. In uniform? Decide whether to stay or flee. Otherwise unknown? Hose-em down. Didn't they see your "solicitors will be urinated upon" notice? For entertainment, scent the spray with drippings from a bitch-dog in heat so nearby hounds follow the target.

I don't condone this but I predict it.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
*that's g-for-general, general-you: does not refer to any particular poster or indeed to any specific individual. This language could IMO use some more pronouns, and not only to deal with genders.
One could use one of the words already extant. The effect might be slightly stilted, but one would get one’s point across.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:46 PM

Can one come up with a better alternative than that?
Old 10-07-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Can one come up with a better alternative than that?

I was fond of "She, he, it" but given the average English user's penchant for abbreviating things, it had an obvious flaw (or feature, depending on your point of view).
Old 10-07-2019, 08:50 PM

Hey, s/h/it happens.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
One could use one of the words already extant. The effect might be slightly stilted, but one would get one’s point across.
Sometimes I use that technique. Sometimes it seems really awkward.

Admittedly, g-you with asterisks explaining it is probably even more awkward. Point taken.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:52 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
I foresee a slew of IoT doorcam apps hosting image recognition AIs that trigger reactions to (un)recognized folks at the door. Known? Let-em ring. In uniform? Decide whether to stay or flee. Otherwise unknown? Hose-em down. Didn't they see your "solicitors will be urinated upon" notice? For entertainment, scent the spray with drippings from a bitch-dog in heat so nearby hounds follow the target.

I don't condone this but I predict it.
When I was young I had a sign on my apartment door that read something to the effect of:

Quote:
Knocking upon this door implies that you have entered a contract with the occupants to be insulted by them verbosely. If you don't want to be insulted, don't knock. This means you.
The annoying 10 year old kid in the neighborhood* who would come by to visit daily could read, and thought it was funny when we responded like the guy assigned to hand out insults in the Monty Python Argument Sketch. The other random ass solicitors apparently weren't so careful or maybe they just weren't so literate. Either way, my roommate and I made a few people leave in bewildered tears. If I recall correctly, it was when one or both of us lit into an older pair of solicitors** when we realized we were being dicks (or at least bigger dicks than we felt like being on a day-to-day basis) and took the sign down.

The outgoing answering machine message that consisted of us chanting "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!!!" until the beep stayed up for several months, however. I loved living in that apartment, even though me and my intimidatingly huge roommate sometimes were at odds about stuff. The answering machine message was his idea, and I forgive all disputes in memory of it.

*Who inexplicably had a child sized t-shirt with an iron-on that said "Instant Asshole! - Just Add Alcohol!" His name was Jason. We called him Justin repeatedly to try to get him to go away. He had no business hanging out at this apartment complex. He didn't live there, and it was a weird place. Ok, now that I write that and think about it, he probably had all the business in the world hanging out there. He was still annoying and I didn't like that fucking kid. It was like having Ricky Bobby's kids drop by daily, but I had no idea who the character Ricky Bobby would someday be at the time.

**No, no one got a word in edgewise. We deliberately tried to avoid knowing what they were selling. Might be magazines, might be Jesus. Might be Jesus Magazines. They'd read The Sign.

Last edited by scabpicker; 10-08-2019 at 10:56 PM.