Old 10-01-2019, 09:38 AM

What are you scared of? Halloween/October Mini-rants

We have a timesheet system at work so that we allocate all of our time in case some of it is billable back to a client. Of course not everything is billable back to a client.

Every entry must have a comment with it, which is useful if you're billing it back to the client so that they know what they're being billed for if they bother to look at it with a fine-toothed comb. Even the internal ones need a comment, too. That comment must be at least five characters long. Took a half-day; "OOO" (Out of office) or "PTO" (paid time off) aren't acceptable entries. Given it's already in a bucket of 'PTO' how much more detail do they need? If it's internal, which has multiple buckets do we really need a comment as well, especially for PTO?
Old 10-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Is it acceptable to leaves dots or dashes as placeholders to meet the character minimum?

I still agree it’s dumb though. It’s good to have a system that allows comments, but stupid to mandate them.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
We have a timesheet system at work so that we allocate all of our time in case some of it is billable back to a client. Of course not everything is billable back to a client.

Every entry must have a comment with it, which is useful if you're billing it back to the client so that they know what they're being billed for if they bother to look at it with a fine-toothed comb. Even the internal ones need a comment, too. That comment must be at least five characters long. Took a half-day; "OOO" (Out of office) or "PTO" (paid time off) aren't acceptable entries. Given it's already in a bucket of 'PTO' how much more detail do they need? If it's internal, which has multiple buckets do we really need a comment as well, especially for PTO?
I realize it is a PITA (damn, too short) but how much trouble would typing either of those out be?
Old 10-01-2019, 02:36 PM

How about "OOO, OK? or "PTO, OK?" as alternatives? Passive-aggressive, but intended to be so.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I realize it is a PITA (damn, too short) but how much trouble would typing either of those out be?
It's not that it's so tough to do but it's very short sighted & piss poor programming (& this is some software that we bought/leased). Every entry needs a comment of at least 5-chara.
At a highest level, things fall into two buckets internal or external (working on a client project). Internal then further breaks down to 'leave' & all of the subcategories thereof - PTO, sick, bereavement, funeral, military, jury duty, etc. If they know I'm out & the reason that I'm out by the bucket why then does it need any comments?

That some company built software that is this poor when that is their whole reason for being is a bit surprising. It wasn't worth starting a pit thread on it's own, per se; it just happened to be the first of the month & no one else had yet created a new mini-rants.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:44 PM

How fixed is the software, though? It is possible that both the requirement for comments and the specific buckets are settings controlled by some genius in HR.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
That some company built software that is this poor when that is their whole reason for being is a bit surprising. It wasn't worth starting a pit thread on it's own, per se; it just happened to be the first of the month & no one else had yet created a new mini-rants.
In my (pretty extensive) experience, software like that is rarely if ever something off-the-shelf. Itís usually made for an organization thatís looking for software that can do something thatís not available from a regular commercial vendor so itís made in-house or is custom made for them by contractors who cobble together something proprietary. Thatís how you end up with such weird quirks.

To make matters worse, it often has some weird dependencies that then hold you back and force you to use an old, unsupported web browser or clumsy emulator to run it, and upgrading/migrating it is insanely difficult or impossible because nobody who designed it is around anymore and it wasnít made using best practices or other standards, and is difficult to deconstruct or reverse engineer. Nor is the data easily exported or transferred.

They are the gifts that keep on giving. Like herpes.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:45 PM

Well, I have an update from the doctor about my maybe having a viable pregnancy.

It not viable, it seems. My hCG came back the same as last Thursday. Next step is yet another blood test tomorrow morning to make sure the levels are going down.

I feel stupid for being so sad about this. But I am really fucking sad. This really sucks.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
Well, I have an update from the doctor ...
It not viable, it seems... I feel stupid for being so sad about this. But I am really fucking sad. This really sucks.
Major hugs, slalexan. Hugs and tissues and the stupid movie of your choice.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:21 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

For "Paid Time Off", how about going with "Patio"?
Old 10-01-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Well, I have an update from the doctor about my maybe having a viable pregnancy.

It not viable, it seems. My hCG came back the same as last Thursday. Next step is yet another blood test tomorrow morning to make sure the levels are going down.

I feel stupid for being so sad about this. But I am really fucking sad. This really sucks.
Thatís not stupid, you have every right to be sad about that.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm so sorry. It does suck mightily. Hugs if you want them.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:

I'm so sorry slalexan. Many hugs your way.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
For "Paid Time Off", how about going with "Patio"?
How about "comment"?
Old 10-01-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:

So, so sorry. I know exactly what you're feeling. It's ok to feel sad. Go pet baby puppies or kittens. It will cheer you up for awhile. {{{Hugs}}}
Old 10-01-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
How about "comment"?

I wonder what the admins, or the boss, would say if they saw "On Patio, with a case half gone". "Patio" being short for "Paid Time Off".

I like your suggestion too, but include the question mark in the entry.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Temperature’s going back up to 90 Fahrenheit in NYC tomorrow. And muggy. For October 2, that just ain’t right.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I cannot imagine how you are feeling right now. All I know is that you're grieving, and you have every right to do so.

We're all here to listen.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:02 PM

What are you scared of? Halloween/October Mini-rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
I cannot imagine how you are feeling right now. All I know is that you're grieving, and you have every right to do so.

We're all here to listen.

I’ve mostly been avoiding my feelings with interruptions of weepiness. I burst into tears when I saw my husband after work. So it’s gonna be a real good day tomorrow when I go back to the doctor for a final blood draw to make sure I’m miscarrying like normal. I will definitely cry. Then I get to go to work and try to be productive like a normal, not sad human.

This is a huge ball of suck. I hate every part of it.

ETA - thanks for the hugs though. It actually is comforting.

Last edited by slalexan; 10-01-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Iíve mostly been avoiding my feelings with interruptions of weepiness. I burst into tears when I saw my husband after work. So itís gonna be a real good day tomorrow when I go back to the doctor for a final blood draw to make sure Iím miscarrying like normal. I will definitely cry. Then I get to go to work and try to be productive like a normal, not sad human.

This is a huge ball of suck. I hate every part of it.

ETA - thanks for the hugs though. It actually is comforting.
You have been trying to have a baby. You and your husband obviously very badly want a child. And in one day you learned that something you wanted very badly had maybe happened but had happened in such a way that you probably wouldn't have it after all, and then a few days later you learned that it definitely had happened and was already unhappening and there wasn't a damn thing you could do about it. Frankly, I'm astonished you can form coherent thoughts, much less type sentences, right now.

Is there any chance you can take a day or two off to process? Talk to a counselor?

How's your husband doing?
Old 10-01-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
You have been trying to have a baby. You and your husband obviously very badly want a child. And in one day you learned that something you wanted very badly had maybe happened but had happened in such a way that you probably wouldn't have it after all, and then a few days later you learned that it definitely had happened and was already unhappening and there wasn't a damn thing you could do about it. Frankly, I'm astonished you can form coherent thoughts, much less type sentences, right now.

Is there any chance you can take a day or two off to process? Talk to a counselor?

How's your husband doing?

I don’t have any PTO left, especially since I needed to take so much time off for our daughter. And, honestly, I can only focus for a few minutes. Enough time to write a post or an email or take a delivery of parts, but not enough to do much more. I will call my company’s EAP though, because clearly this is harder than I thought I’d be.

My husband is ok. Just ok. He is worried about me and, therefore, not talking to me about his feelings. I do know he’s leaning on some of his guy friends.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:

It's not stupid at all! Hugs and whatever helps hold the same at bay, even briefly.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
In my (pretty extensive) experience, software like that is rarely if ever something off-the-shelf. Itís usually made for an organization thatís looking for software that can do something thatís not available from a regular commercial vendor so itís made in-house or is custom made for them by contractors who cobble together something proprietary. Thatís how you end up with such weird quirks.

To make matters worse, it often has some weird dependencies that then hold you back and force you to use an old, unsupported web browser or clumsy emulator to run it, and upgrading/migrating it is insanely difficult or impossible because nobody who designed it is around anymore and it wasnít made using best practices or other standards, and is difficult to deconstruct or reverse engineer. Nor is the data easily exported or transferred.

They are the gifts that keep on giving. Like herpes.
This is from a vendor & it's all of about 4-5 months old. There was also a quirk in July (that we saw for the first time; will see if they fixed it the end of this week.) We usuall put our time in weekly & get paid twice a month, 15th & end. July was the first mid-week monthend that we had that software. We had to enter our time in two separate timesheets, one for three days & then one for first two days of Aug; don't need to do this for mid-month payroll, only to (apparently) close out books for month end. Again, the software should be able to know what the last day of the month is & break up x days into old vs. new month.

I also know you must have 40 hrs; if you book 39 for the week you get an error message & must add an hour somewhere. I don't yet know if it's exactly 40 (which is the way that the message reads) or if it's a minimum of 40. I could ask someone else, but I haven't had the need for extra hours yet, though that will be coming at some point. I'm salaried so it shouldn't matter but what if I put in 50 or 60 hours for a client in a given week, are we only billing back 40 of them?

Yes, this pales in comparison...{{{slalexan}}}
Old 10-02-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

So sorry for your pain, slalexan.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I came very, very close to shitting my pants at work this morning. I've been having some bathroom urgency lately, and today when it struck, there were some people at my desk I couldn't get away from. When they finally left, I was in dire straits, so I darted into the bathroom, yanked at my zipper...and it broke. In the up position! I had to run back to my desk for a paper clip to see if I could use that to replace the pull...nope. At this point, I was ready to rip the pants and deal with the consequences later, and thankfully was able to pull them down in time. I even managed to get them back on afterward. Then I called my husband to bring me another pair of pants.
Although this was a near-disaster, I have to admit it went as well as it could have. They were even dark brown pants.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How about "No Comment" as an entry?

Last edited by Tim@T-Bonham.net; 10-02-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:51 PM

"We don't need no stinking comments!"
Old 10-02-2019, 07:05 PM

First of all, ((slalexan))!

Mini whiny rant: Stupid damn Dish Network and stupid damn Fox, get over your damn selves. I want to watch The Masked Singer, but noooo. Wait! Daughter has Hulu, I used it when I was laid up! Go to log in...blocked, as I’m not “home”. If I drove two and a half hours to their place and logged in under their WiFi, it’d be fine.
In their explanation, they state it’s to be a single household platform, sorry Mom. Ouch. That hurt.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@T-Bonham.net View Post
How about "No Comment" as an entry?
"Witch-hunt"
Old 10-03-2019, 03:00 AM

*Hits Superdude with a wet Gatopescado*

(What? You're super, I needed something larger and heavier than a trout...)
Old 10-03-2019, 06:59 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your well wishes. I’m actually feeling a lot less depressed, though still very sad. I think I’ll actually be able to do things today. I should hear back from the doctor today to see if things are progressing as they should. I am hoping I won’t need help. It’d be nice for it to be over now. I also really hope they don’t need anymore blood from me, I feel like a pin cushion right now.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for your well wishes. I’m actually feeling a lot less depressed, though still very sad. I think I’ll actually be able to do things today. I should hear back from the doctor today to see if things are progressing as they should. I am hoping I won’t need help. It’d be nice for it to be over now. I also really hope they don’t need anymore blood from me, I feel like a pin cushion right now.
My sympathies as well. My (now ex-) wife and I weren't trying when she got pregnant, but she always wanted kids. I remember how devastated she was when she found out that she'd miscarried. We didn't know that she was pregnant until that point.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:42 AM

Thanks. And I didn't get my wish. Doctor says he wants to make sure my hCG returns to 0 so I need to go give another sample next week.

But let's complain about something else. Anything else. Think about anything else at all.... So man, this weather. Sure is rainy.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:05 AM

Here it's finally gone from "hot and humid" to "not so hot, but always humid" (last week we were hitting maxes of 32ļC, today it's 23ļC). We haven't gotten hit by the yearly rains yet, which if you ask me is kind of worrisome: normally, Barcelona spends a month under-vertical-water between September and October, but we're already in October and no rains. Today was the first time that it felt like we may be heading towards autumn...

Conversely, this year's rains in the SE have been quite heavy and caused infrastructure damages, specially to the seaside train tracks. People taking the train between Valencia and Alicante were being bussed instead, but I think the service is already back to normal.

Last edited by Nava; 10-03-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I came very, very close to shitting my pants at work this morning. I've been having some bathroom urgency lately, and today when it struck, there were some people at my desk I couldn't get away from. When they finally left, I was in dire straits, so I darted into the bathroom, yanked at my zipper...and it broke. In the up position! I had to run back to my desk for a paper clip to see if I could use that to replace the pull...nope. At this point, I was ready to rip the pants and deal with the consequences later, and thankfully was able to pull them down in time. I even managed to get them back on afterward. Then I called my husband to bring me another pair of pants.
Although this was a near-disaster, I have to admit it went as well as it could have. They were even dark brown pants.
A friend of mine carries a "shit kit". "Because you know it's going to happen."
Now, I personally don't feel the need to carry one, but YMMV!
Old 10-03-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

I must be old now, because that sounds like a good idea.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
So man, this weather. Sure is rainy.
Yesterday's high was 89. Today's is forecast to be 65, which is actually reasonable for October.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks. And I didn't get my wish. Doctor says he wants to make sure my hCG returns to 0 so I need to go give another sample next week.

But let's complain about something else. Anything else. Think about anything else at all.... So man, this weather. Sure is rainy.
I can't remember if you're an Ursula Vernon/T. Kingfisher fan, but she has a new book out as of Tuesday.

Everyone is talking about how frightening it is and that she manages a jump scare in a book, which is impressive. Several people have asked her, "Oh my GODS woman WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU THAT THIS CAME OUT OF YOUR BRAIN?!." (That's a direct quote.)

I'm most of the way through it, and yeah, it's kinda creepy, but unlike everyone who's been commenting, I am neither terrified nor sleeping badly. I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with me.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:52 AM

Monday was 86 and humid. Today the high is 50. Northern Minnesota received snow.
Yesterday I decided I was safe to put the portable air conditioner down in the basement. Despite it's heaviness (65#), it went well.
Until the last two stairs. It slipped.
Right on the toes of my right foot. All of them.
Nothing is broken. They're all bruised and I have to walk with my big toe up, as pressure on it hurts.

AND I just received notice that the end of year fireworks blow off held by my favorite pyrotechnic group is cancelled for this weekend. That royally sucks. I've been looking forward to it for months. They shoot off all the spares and play with new ideas all in a minimum one hour show.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Username/post combo is awesome by the way.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:36 PM

Yesterday I came out of a shop and saw a lot of black smoke rising to the sky from the approximate location of my apartment building. Five fire trucks and two cop cars race past me on the walk home. All I can think is, "What did I leave on?" Get to my street. Fire is down the block from my complex. Turns out a car was totally engulfed in flames right next to power lines and a neighboring complex. Nobody hurt, thank God. Only damage aside from car was cracked windows due to heat.

The entire jog home, all I could think of was, "What did you leave on, Nellie? Think! Think!
Old 10-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Changing health insurance is a royal pain in the ass.

On September 25, I had phone calls with the Gilenya Go program (that deals with my MS medication), the specialty pharmacy, my insurance company, my Cobra plan administrator, the specialty pharmacy again, Gilenya Go again, the Gilenya patient assistance program, the Gilenya copay assistance program, and on the next day, I talked to my insurance company again. Today, the Gilenya Go program called me, and had none of the information that I had given them in those calls, although they did have notes dated September 25. It also reminded me that I need to call the insurance company again and see if they have processed the termination from the Cobra administrator yet.

I just want my drugs.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Long ago, when sailing ships ruled the waves, a captain and his crew were in danger of being boarded by a pirate ship. As the crew became frantic, the captain bellowed to his First Mate, "Bring me my red shirt!". The First Mate quickly retrieved the captain's red shirt, which the captain put on and led the crew to battle the pirate boarding party. Although some casualties occurred among the crew, the pirates were repelled.

Later that day, the lookout screamed that there were two pirate vessels sending boarding parties. The crew cowered in fear, but the captain calm as ever bellowed, "Bring me my red shirt!". The battle was on, and once again the Captain and his crew repelled both boarding parties, although this time more casualties occurred.

Weary from the battles, the men sat around on deck that night recounting the day's occurrences when an ensign looked to the Captain and asked, "Sir, why did you call for your red shirt before the battle?". The Captain, giving the ensign a look that only a captain can give, exhorted, "If I am wounded in battle, the red shirt does not show the wound and thus, you men will continue to fight unafraid". The men sat in silence marveling at the courage of such a man.

As dawn came the next morning, the lookout screamed that there were pirate ships, 10 of them, all with boarding parties on their way. The men became silent and looked to their Captain for his usual command. The Captain, calm as ever, bellowed, "Bring me my brown trousers!!
Old 10-03-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENugent View Post
Changing health insurance is a royal pain in the ass...
I just lost my insurance (and it was a good thing; I retired). I've got a whole new carrier, but I just know the first time I need drugs or an emergency room it's going to be a clusterfuck...
Old 10-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

One of my favorite jokes, cochrane! I no doubt heard it from you.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Came home:

1. Top shelf containing the unused coffee cups collapsed, causing them to spill to floor. Sophia and I cleaned up.

2. Warm house. Check thermostat- set to 78, but actual temp is 83. Big outside blower isn't working. W/in parts warranty, though. House isn't too bad because:

2.a. fans
2.b. Sophia has a window unit as she likes it colder than I'm willing to pay for. So, if need be, can sleep in her room tonight. On the floor. Or just deal in my room.

3. HOWEVER... Sophia is working on a video edit, lining up sound with images, and then doing her f/x. Her current shot is set to the intro of "YMCA", meaning that every times she reviews her work, the short into plays.

Repeatedly. Many times. Many, many, times.

4. So I'm sitting outside where the wind is blowing waiting for the A/C guy because not even air conditioned comfort is worth hearing the into to YMCA over 100 times in a 30 minute period... repeat ubtil she gets bored, or finished.

Last edited by JohnT; 10-03-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
They were even dark brown pants.
Before or after?

Quote:
My husband is ok. Just ok. He is worried about me and, therefore, not talking to me about his feelings.
I know you have since posted wanting to talk about something else, but I just wanted to say, as someone who has gone through this (more than once) from the 'husband' point of view, that this looks very familiar to me. "Just ok" is exactly right - apart from not having to deal with the physical issues, emotionally it just didn't hit me nearly as hard as my wife. My main concern was for her wellbeing. If he says he's OK, take him at his word to a large extent. And don't feel stupid about your feelings (although, I guess that's a feeling too - hmm...). It's OK and natural to randomly burst into tears at work some days or even weeks later, I think. Not nice of course, but it happens. It's a horrible thing to go through and you have my utmost sympathy.

In our case, following some expensive elective surgery, we are now happy parents of 2 boys. It can all work out in time. Very best wishes to you.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
4. So I'm sitting outside where the wind is blowing waiting for the A/C guy because not even air conditioned comfort is worth hearing the into to YMCA over 100 times in a 30 minute period... repeat ubtil she gets bored, or finished.
JohnT, there's no need to feel down.
I said JohnT pick yourself off the ground.
I said JohnT, airco causing a frown?
There's no need to be unhappy.

Many ways to have a cool time.
It's cool inside at the Y.M.C.A.
It's cool inside at the Y.M.C.A.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Leave me alone.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Went to northern Vermont to a B&B for a gathering of friends from all over North America. Made my reservation 2 months in advance. Paid for 3 nights at the time.

Wound up arriving a day earlier than planned. For a total of 4 nights.

When checking out, neither I nor the landlady could recall whether I'd prepaid 1 night, or 3.

So we decided I'd pay for all 3 nights (assuming I'd prepaid for 1), and check my records, and contact her for a refund.

1) She charged me full freight for the 3 nights, not the group discount rate.

2) I forgot to check my records right away when I got home.

3) When I did check, I realized that I'd already paid, so I'd in effect paid for 2 more nights than we stayed. AND, she charged me full freight for the 3 nights, not the group discounted rate.

4) And I found this out after the 60 day limit for doing a credit card chargeback.

5) And 3 emails to the landlady have gone ignored.

I could file in small claims court but it's 500 miles away from here.