Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

For, among other things: "erratic conduct and behavior," "frenzied commentary," "wild outbursts on the internet and television," monetizing his official position, telling lies.

It's like ten thousand spoons when all I need is a knife.
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I'd be less surprised if he used Niger for that "explanation". And, yes, the SOB is prejudiced against Blacks. There's no other reason for that stunt, er, those stunts he pulled discriminating against Blacks in housing in New York It's also the explanation for his carrying the flag for the racist birther BS.
Please don't forget the Central Park Five. That was among the worst.
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

Can you imagine still being a Trump supporter at this point? And yet 40% of our fellow citizens are just this stupid. When Clinton chastised his supporters for being deplorable, I thought she made a mistake and that it was a minority of his supporters and that the rest would come around. Turns out she was right and that most of them really are deplorable human beings.
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM

Fuckin truth. Republicans have sold their souls for a rubber stamp president.
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack batty View Post
for, among other things: "erratic conduct and behavior," "frenzied commentary," "wild outbursts on the internet and television," monetizing his official position, telling lies.
iokwtdi
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
If only a rubber stamp is all he was.
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Well, that and letting the Federalist Society name Supreme Court Justices.
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
For, among other things: "erratic conduct and behavior," "frenzied commentary," "wild outbursts on the internet and television," monetizing his official position, telling lies. ...
And all of those accusations are quite easily shown to be false. Which is sort of the point: the bully is telling everyone "criticize me and I will make up stuff about you that's completely unbelievable, but everyone will believe it anyway because I told them to."

It's a bald assertion of power.

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017

Last edited by Sherrerd; Yesterday at 07:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

A Washington Post article about sycophantic books about Trump may be an interesting read.
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Trump has revoked the security clearance of former CIA chief John Brennan.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nce/999340002/

Thou shalt not speak ill of Donald Trump.
It should be noted that revoking security clearances is basically holding hostage the ability for a service member to be able to protect the nation, in demand that they speak kindly of you.
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
It should be noted that revoking security clearances is basically holding hostage the ability for a service member to be able to protect the nation, in demand that they speak kindly of you.
Ah yes, a Nixonian Enemies List. That's gonna work out just great.

I note (per MSNBC) that the statement revoking Brennan's clearance was undersigned solely by the President himself. It seems as though no one on the White House staff wanted to touch it with a bargepole.

Last edited by El_Kabong; Yesterday at 08:48 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM

I don't get the Brennan security thing. He's a *former* CIA chief, so why would he still need it? All the articles seem to assume I understand something that I clearly don't. What am I missing?
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courk View Post
I don't get the Brennan security thing. He's a *former* CIA chief, so why would he still need it? All the articles seem to assume I understand something that I clearly don't. What am I missing?
It's so that succeeding administrations can, if they need to or wish to, call upon the knowledge, experience, and analysis of such former high officials, and share classified information with them as part of the consultation.
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courk View Post
It's also so the person who no longer has a security clearance can get a job which requires such clearance, i.e. government contractor.
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
It's also so the person who no longer has a security clearance can get a job which requires such clearance, i.e. government contractor.
Couldn't a person applying for a job go through the process again, and receive a new clearance?
Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Correct, Monty. Unfortunately for our God-Emperor, taking away the clearance won't silence his critics.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Couldn't a person applying for a job go through the process again, and receive a new clearance?
One may apply for a new clearance. The issue is that one must start anew if the clearance has been revoked instead of merely "in limbo", taking time and resources. And, of course, the granting agency is part of the executive department.
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM

Sarah Huckster named nine other people who need to watch their step or they're going to lose their clearances, too.
James R. Clapper, Jr.
James B. Comey
Michael V. Hayden
Andrew G. McCabe
Bruce G. Ohr
Lisa Page
Peter Strzok
Susan E. Rice
Sally Q. Yates
Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Sarah Huckster named nine other people who need to watch their step or they're going to lose their clearances, too.
James R. Clapper, Jr.
James B. Comey
Michael V. Hayden
Andrew G. McCabe
Bruce G. Ohr
Lisa Page
Peter Strzok
Susan E. Rice
Sally Q. Yates
Comey, McCabe, Page and Strzok no longer have clearances. When you leave the FBI that is it. Clapper, Hayden, Rice and Yates are retired, fired, quit.

Leaving the the interesting one - Ohr. He is still employed at the DOJ so it is likely that removing his clearance probably makes it impossible to do his job. His wife worked for FusionGPS (of Dossier fame) and he had contact with Steele. He is being called to testify in a closed door House GOP committee investigation.

Quote:
Ohr, who served as the department’s associate deputy attorney general and now currently works in the criminal division, is the latest target among House conservatives who claim there is ample evidence of bias against President Trump in the DOJ and FBI during the 2016 election.

The DOJ and the committee reached an agreement for Ohr to appear before the committee on Aug. 28, DOJ spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores confirmed.

This means Ohr will not be under subpoena power when he interviews with congressional investigators on the House Judiciary and House Oversight and Government Reform committees. The two panels are conducting a joint investigation into FBI and DOJ conduct during the 2016 election.

While the committee staff are expected to do most of the questioning, several key Republican lawmakers have stated that they will return for their high profile guest.

“We're going to interview Bruce Ohr — not in a public circus setting, but in a deposition with no time limits,” House Oversight Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) told Fox News on Monday, noting that he will come back to Washington to question him.

“And we are going to get to the bottom of what he did, why he did it, who he did it in concert with, whether he had the permission of the supervisors at the Department of Justice,” Gowdy added.

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) also said he will not miss the interview, telling The Hill on Tuesday: “I’m definitely going to be there.”

Ohr has increasingly come under Republican scrutiny for his contacts with Simpson and former British spy Christopher Steele during the heated presidential campaign, a revelation that sparked demands from Trump allies for its own special counsel investigation into the DOJ and the FBI last December.
Old Today, 01:20 AM

Abuse of power doesn't mean the act is illegal, the power to deny security clearances is clearly his, being as he currently infects the Oval Orifice. But in a just society, a man is not permitted to injure another man without good reason. Even if his action is technically legal, the use of such legal power for petty political gameplay is still....abuse of power.

After all, you can hardly abuse power you haven't got.