Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:24 PM
Ají de Gallina's Avatar
Ají de Gallina Ají de Gallina is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lima, Perú
Posts: 4,447
"Penalty Shootouts" in NFL (and NBA)

In both leagues there is no system like football (soccer) or hockey have of the shootout.
Rugby union has a shootout system that is rarely used.
What would be possible options?

In the NBA you could have a free-throw-out, going one by one with the 5 players from each team.
I can't think of similar system for the NFL, where one player alone does it all.
Shootout a la rugby union?
  #2  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Jasmine Jasmine is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,574
Ties in the NFL are relatively rare and, when they do occur, they introduce a very interesting dynamic in the standings.

However, college football has something akin to what you are talking about. If regulation ends in a tie, they have overtime. A coin is flipped to see who has the ball first. That team starts from the opponents 25 yard line with a first down, and has an opportunity to score a touchdown or at least a field goal. If they do, the other team has an opportunity to match or surpass that. In the case of the latter, they win. In the case of the former, a second overtime is played and so on.

To prevent these overtimes from going on forever, teams have to go for the 2-point conversion after the 3rd overtime.
  #3  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:32 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC DCnDC is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 11,314
Seems unnecessary for basketball. Unlike hockey or soccer, it's an offense-dominated game; sooner or later someone is going to come out on top when the clock hits all zeroes. If anything I would just start reducing the length of Overtime: it's currently unlimited 5-minute periods, but I would remove a minute each subsequent necessary OT until it's just 1 minute.
  #4  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Darth Sensitive Darth Sensitive is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A
Posts: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Ties in the NFL are relatively rare and, when they do occur, they introduce a very interesting dynamic in the standings.

However, college football has something akin to what you are talking about. If regulation ends in a tie, they have overtime. A coin is flipped to see who has the ball first. That team starts from the opponents 25 yard line with a first down, and has an opportunity to score a touchdown or at least a field goal. If they do, the other team has an opportunity to match or surpass that. In the case of the latter, they win. In the case of the former, a second overtime is played and so on.

To prevent these overtimes from going on forever, teams have to go for the 2-point conversion after the 3rd overtime.
Texas A&M/LSU got to 7OT a few weeks ago. The linemen were almost dead.

I coach middle school JV basketball. We do a free throw shootout of our 5 on the floor at the end of regulation. Home shoots 5, then visitor shoots 5. Then one to one.
  #5  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 21,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sensitive View Post
I coach middle school JV basketball. We do a free throw shootout of our 5 on the floor at the end of regulation. Home shoots 5, then visitor shoots 5. Then one to one.
They should play H-O-R-S-E.
  #6  
Old 12-06-2018, 04:43 PM
Darth Sensitive Darth Sensitive is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A
Posts: 2,513
The point is to clear the court fast. We do 6 games in 6 hours. I can't recall one that's ever gone past 7 shots.
  #7  
Old 12-06-2018, 04:56 PM
Barkis is Willin' Barkis is Willin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
They should play H-O-R-S-E.
This would actually be fun to watch.
  #8  
Old 12-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Ponch8 Ponch8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,832
In the NFL, you could have a field goal kick competition--each team would select 5 players to do a soccer-style shootout of field goals from, say, 30 yards. It could be done from a tee, with no defenders. The placekickers would have no problem at this distance, but I don't think an offensive tackle would perform so well.

Last edited by Ponch8; 12-06-2018 at 05:07 PM.
  #9  
Old 12-06-2018, 05:18 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC DCnDC is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 11,314
Or how about a press-your-luck bidding game just between the placekickers?

A: "I can hit a field goal from 50 yards."
B: "I can hit one from 55."
A: "I can do 58."
B: "61."
A: "Do it!"

B misses, A gets to try. A makes it, his team wins.

If B makes it, A has to match it, or his team loses.

If they both miss, start completely over. If they both hit, also start over, but bidding starts at that spot (61).

Might not shorten the extra time, in fact I could see it potentially going on for a while, but it would sure be fun.
  #10  
Old 12-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Or how about a press-your-luck bidding game just between the placekickers?

A: "I can hit a field goal from 50 yards."
B: "I can hit one from 55."
A: "I can do 58."
B: "61."
A: "Do it!"

B misses, A gets to try. A makes it, his team wins.

If B makes it, A has to match it, or his team loses.

If they both miss, start completely over. If they both hit, also start over, but bidding starts at that spot (61).

Might not shorten the extra time, in fact I could see it potentially going on for a while, but it would sure be fun.
I don't really see the point of the bidding if both have to take the kick anyway. Why not just start at the 50 and keep moving 5 yards back until someone misses or something similar.

In shows like "Name That Tune" the person who bid last had to name the correct song in the number of notes they bid, or they lost. There's really nothing at stake if both sides have to attempt the bid.
  #11  
Old 12-08-2018, 10:47 PM
russian heel russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
I don't really see the point of the bidding if both have to take the kick anyway. Why not just start at the 50 and keep moving 5 yards back until someone misses or something similar.



In shows like "Name That Tune" the person who bid last had to name the correct song in the number of notes they bid, or they lost. There's really nothing at stake if both sides have to attempt the bid.

Even worse is having a hard fought game decided by friggin’ kickers.

How about you line a QB and a skill player v 2 defensive players at let’s say the 15 yard line. The defensive players are not allowed to cross the line of scrimmage. The QB either elects to pass or run the ball himself. It’s either a touchdown or fail best of 3 then sudden death.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #12  
Old 12-09-2018, 10:44 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 30,291
At the end of regulation, bring on the wives.

Concept only; I'll work out the details once the league ponies up some cash.
  #13  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:01 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 6,794
I like one single overtime period. If no one's ahead, it's a tie. Tie games don't bother me. It's like a piece of life, you know? Sometimes it's a tie and it worked out evenly on both sides. Rare, but not a problem. We'll do one overtime session just to see if this really is a tie; if it is, "that's the way she goes."
  #14  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:06 AM
AK84 AK84 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15,658
Rugby shootout.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017