Old 12-03-2018, 11:58 AM

Dangers of being a whore (Favre tricked into recording message for white supremacists)

This was easily avoided with literally 5 seconds of Googling, but I guess Favre really needed that nickel?

Quote:
Favre fulfilled a request on the app "Cameo," where users can pay to have celebrities record short, personalized video messages for them. The Hall of Fame quarterback was paid $500 by noted hate groups the Handsome Truth and the Goyim Defense League, who provided Favre with a script that was carefully crafted to include veiled anti-Semitic rhetoric without being too outwardly obvious.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...-supremacists/
Old 12-03-2018, 12:08 PM

His heart was in the right place. Celebrities try to help veterans groups whenever they can.

I didn't know any of those hate group terms either. That's the intent of coded speech. Outsiders are left out of the conversation.

I bet he'll check out the organization next time.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...remacists/amp/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...remacists/amp/
Quote:
Since I match service dogs with military veterans who have PTSD, I assumed that the request stemmed from my interest in veterans affairs and recorded the message.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-03-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Apparently the same thing happened to Andy Dick (who was in the NBC sitcom News Radio) and Soulja Boy (whoever that is). I was amused at how little these celebrities want for this. Andy Dick charged $99 while Soulja Boy charged $100. I understand why these celebrities do this, but the low prices some have to charge does kind of make them look D-List.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I've never heard of either of those groups, nor recognized the "smalls" reference or the USS Liberty incident. So if it was a dog whistle, I guess they were aiming at a better class of dog. Faevre is donating the $500 to charity, which is appropriate and good for him. I don't suppose the groups can be stopped from using the video - he was paid for it, and I assume he signed a waiver or the equivalent.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-03-2018, 03:38 PM

I thought the dangers of being a whore was getting choked by Wayne Brady.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't have noticed anything amiss with that jargon except for the USS Liberty. That would have set off all my alarm bells.

It's definitely a danger of putting your name to things you don't understand.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:37 AM

These folks intended to deceive, and Favre fell victim to it. Why do we blame the victim of deception?
Old 12-04-2018, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
These folks intended to deceive, and Favre fell victim to it. Why do we blame the victim of deception?
Because by lending your voice to any message for money without sufficient understanding, you are susceptible to being taken advantage of. Yes, the people doing the deception are to blame, but Favre (and others) are giving them opportunity because they don't do their due diligence. He bears some of the responsibility.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I only blame him for being incredulous.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

I don't think you need the 'in-'.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-04-2018, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

At the Favre level the public does expect you to have professional PR people/agents to do some vetting of who do you sell out for, if only so that you don't endorse an outright scam. Seems to me he's duly chastened about stepping in this one and he's donating the proceeds.

These sort of celebrities who are "easy" giving endorsements often aren't prepared to think that some hate group would even dare to be on the market for a celebrity endorsement.

And, BTW... "Goyim Defense League"?? Poe's Law at work, I suppose.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Because by lending your voice to any message for money without sufficient understanding, you are susceptible to being taken advantage of. Yes, the people doing the deception are to blame, but Favre (and others) are giving them opportunity because they don't do their due diligence. He bears some of the responsibility.
This line of thinking is suspiciously close to saying "her skirt was too short so that's why...."

Also, just because he is a well known public figure does not automatically mean he has an entourage of handlers, agents, PR folks, and managers. That is really only at the very top level of celebrity.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I don't think you need the 'in-'.

Regards,
Shodan
Heh. Thank you. Coffee deficiency.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This line of thinking is suspiciously close to saying "her skirt was too short so that's why...."
Not really, no.

Favre is offering to record messages for money. He is the one making an explicit offer. If he doesn't want to record bad messages it's up to him to vet them.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I've never heard of either of those groups, nor recognized the "smalls" reference or the USS Liberty incident. So if it was a dog whistle, I guess they were aiming at a better class of dog.
This is.... bizarre phrasing.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:27 PM

So how do I make sure my Sizzling Sausage Grill isn't a white supremacist kitchen appliance?
Old 12-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

For the record, here's the message Favre recorded:

Quote:
Brett Favre here with a shoutout to the Handsome Truth and the GDL boys. You guys are patriots in my eyes. So keep waking them up and don't let the small get you down. Keep fighting, too, and don't ever forget the USS Liberty and the men and women who died on that day. God bless and take care.
Nothing obviously anti-semitic. But GDL is the Goy Defense League (Handsome Truth is the alias of the group's leader). "The small" is a reference to "small hats" or yarmulkes. And the USS Liberty was accidentally attacked by Israel during the Six Day War and some people believe the attack was deliberate.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 12-04-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I thought the dangers of being a whore was getting choked by Wayne Brady.
There is that, plus Brett hasn't been the same since Mary broke up with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
And, BTW... "Goyim Defense League"?? Poe's Law at work, I suppose.
Maybe he thought they said "Golem."
Old 12-06-2018, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Nothing obviously anti-semitic.
As I mentioned upthread, the reference to the USS Liberty would set off lots of alarm bells for me. It's been used to attack Israel and Jews in general for a long time by the lunatic fringe, and I thought it was fairly common knowledge. But I'm guessing that my perception in somewhat skewed.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Apparently the same thing happened to Andy Dick (who was in the NBC sitcom News Radio) and Soulja Boy (whoever that is). I was amused at how little these celebrities want for this. Andy Dick charged $99 while Soulja Boy charged $100. I understand why these celebrities do this, but the low prices some have to charge does kind of make them look D-List.
I don't think it took this type of incident for them to be considered D list celebrities, they just are.