Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5051  
Old 05-18-2017, 09:58 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 6,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I cannot understand why the left wants to get rid of Trump. If you are going to have a Republican in the White House, wouldn't you rather have.a bumbling ex-democrat social moderate who can be manipulated with flattery and who has his two Democrat-voting children advising him, rather than a competent social conservative true believer?

Impeaching Trump means president Pence. In what world is that an improvement from the left's perspective? If anything, Pence will be even more conservative than Trump, but he's also much more skilled at working the Congress and the media. Hence, he will likely be more effective at advancing a conservative agenda. And if Pence doesn't take the job, or somehow goes down with Trump, you get President Ryan, whose main goals are reforming entitlements, flattening taxes, and lowering regulations

From the left's perspective, an idiot like Trump is the best card in a very bad hand, isn't he?
...Trump fundamentally doesn't understand how government works.

Look at the State Department, as just one example. A third of ambassadorships are still unfilled. Nearly all the under-secretary and assistant secretary positions unfilled (as of April). There is simply no way that things aren't "slipping through the cracks." And as things go on, more and more things will keep on not getting done.

Now imagine what is happening, right now, all over the Federal Government. In a big, lumbering, chaotic complex system of interactions like the Federal Government you need strong, anticipatory governance to keep the "machine" running. But Trump hasn't just taken the eye off the ball: he doesn't know the ball exists. The government is running on fumes. Decision making is entirely reactionary. The more complex and chaotic the system, the more control you need to hold it together. But there is no control. No filter. No idea. Bit by bit things are going to "break." And the longer the Trump administration continues, the harder it will be to fix.

I don't like Rick Perry. I think he's a disaster. But I'm glad he is part of the Trump administration because at the very least he has a understanding of "how things work" Trump will leave him alone, and things will still get done, even if some of those things are things I would disagree with. But Perry is one of the few "normal" Trump picks. Which is why fundamentally people can "live" with Pence, but want Trump gone. Pence will make decisions I disagree with, that can be "corrected" if and when the opposition get back in power. Trump is just breaking things.
  #5052  
Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,609
Related to breaking things, it is amusing to note (an not in a happy way) that the old expression "Like a bull in a china shop" is in places like Russia and Israel said as: "Like an Elephant in a china shop"

Last edited by GIGObuster; 05-18-2017 at 10:25 PM.
  #5053  
Old 05-18-2017, 11:42 PM
Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,589
Glad to see this cleared up:

Quote:
Correction: This article previously stated that Amash was the first Republican to suggest that Trump's alleged actions could be grounds for impeachment. Following publication, a spokeswoman for Curbelo contacted Mother Jones to point out that "Congressman Curbelo was actually the first Republican to mention impeachment."
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #5054  
Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 PM
ganthet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...Trump fundamentally doesn't understand how government works.

Look at the State Department, as just one example. A third of ambassadorships are still unfilled. Nearly all the under-secretary and assistant secretary positions unfilled (as of April). There is simply no way that things aren't "slipping through the cracks." And as things go on, more and more things will keep on not getting done.
Or to look at another example, Trump ordered all U.S. Attorneys to hand in their resignations with no apparent plan to submit nominations to replace them to the Senate. This included Preet Bhahara, the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, who has won bipartisan praise and has said that Trump asked him to stay on a few months before the abrupt resignation demand.
  #5055  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:17 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 25,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Real question : why would he sweat ?
I mean, I know precious little about Israel's domestic politics, but can't he just say what everybody knows ? "He's obviously a muppet, don't worry, we'll wait until they get someone remotely sane up there before signing anything with them" ? It's not like Bibi or his goons are going to be responsible for Trump shoving his foot so far in his mouth he'll be shitting shoe polish for a week. Don't we all expect it at this point ?
I don't think you appreciate how important a good relationship with the U.S. is to Israel. They're not just our biggest ally - they're our patron. And one of Netanyahu's strongest electoral selling points is his popularity in the Republican party. He could get away with insulting a Democratic administration, like he did with Obama, because to the GOP, he's a rock star, and everyone here knows that. So he can't criticize Trump, because if he does so, he might lose the Republicans, and if that happens he's politically dead in the water, especially considering the multiple scandals and criminal investigations he's currently facing.

On the other hand, if Trump says something insensitive or antisemitic or just really stupid, the left, center and far-right will be all over Bibi, calling for him to demand an apology. If he doesn't, he'll come across as the spineless coward he is. In short, it's a lose-lose situation the moment Trump opens his mouth. Bibi's hitched his wagon to a tumbling piece of space trash, and it's starting to burn.
  #5056  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 AM
Grim Render is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I cannot understand why the left wants to get rid of Trump. If you are going to have a Republican in the White House, wouldn't you rather have.a bumbling ex-democrat social moderate who can be manipulated with flattery and who has his two Democrat-voting children advising him, rather than a competent social conservative true believer?
Sometimes I am suddenly reminded of how dysfunctional and polarized American politics are. the above is a perfect example.

Policies from the political side you disagree with is not actually the worst thing that can happen to a country. There are far worse things. Having the other side in power occasionally and enacting its policies is actually an essential part of a democracy.

The damage potential of Trumps personal incompetence far, far exceeds the damage potential of poor or disagreeable but normal policies.
  #5057  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:38 AM
AnalogSignal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I must say I am looking forward to Trump's foreign trip. With stops in Saudi Arabia, Israel, the West Bank, and the Vatican, the opportunities for gaffes and fuckups are mind-boggling.
Here is what I expect Trump to say when he goes off script speaking in Israel:

"The Western Wall is a big, beautiful wall. I am very, very, very impressed by it. I haven't seen a single Mexican in Israel! Walls work. Believe me."
  #5058  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:54 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 19,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I don't think you appreciate how important a good relationship with the U.S. is to Israel. They're not just our biggest ally - they're our patron. And one of Netanyahu's strongest electoral selling points is his popularity in the Republican party. He could get away with insulting a Democratic administration, like he did with Obama, because to the GOP, he's a rock star, and everyone here knows that. So he can't criticize Trump, because if he does so, he might lose the Republicans, and if that happens he's politically dead in the water, especially considering the multiple scandals and criminal investigations he's currently facing.

On the other hand, if Trump says something insensitive or antisemitic or just really stupid, the left, center and far-right will be all over Bibi, calling for him to demand an apology. If he doesn't, he'll come across as the spineless coward he is. In short, it's a lose-lose situation the moment Trump opens his mouth. Bibi's hitched his wagon to a tumbling piece of space trash, and it's starting to burn.
I see. Thanks for breaking it down for me, mate.
  #5059  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:56 AM
Biffster's Avatar
Biffster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
I see. Thanks for breaking it down for me, mate.

Boy. What are the odds of Trump saying something really really stupid?
  #5060  
Old 05-19-2017, 05:01 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 19,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSignal View Post
Here is what I expect Trump to say when he goes off script speaking in Israel:

"The Western Wall is a big, beautiful wall. I am very, very, very impressed by it. I haven't seen a single Mexican in Israel! Walls work. Believe me."
"Bad wall. No wonder they're wailing about it. Terrible wall, shoddy workmanship, cracks everywhere filled with paper (PAPER !), not high enough. Does not stop Palestinians. Shameful."
  #5061  
Old 05-19-2017, 05:21 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 24,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
Boy. What are the odds of Trump saying something really really stupid?
No chance at all. It's a certainty.
  #5062  
Old 05-19-2017, 06:26 AM
lazybratsche is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
"Bad wall. No wonder they're wailing about it. Terrible wall, shoddy workmanship, cracks everywhere filled with paper (PAPER !), not high enough. Does not stop Palestinians. Shameful."
He'll manage to say both things in the same speech.
  #5063  
Old 05-19-2017, 07:22 AM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bye NYC hello Chicagoland
Posts: 19,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganthet View Post
Or to look at another example, Trump ordered all U.S. Attorneys to hand in their resignations with no apparent plan to submit nominations to replace them to the Senate. This included Preet Bhahara, the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, who has won bipartisan praise and has said that Trump asked him to stay on a few months before the abrupt resignation demand.


Right. At the time Trump supporters were commenting on how that was typical when there was a change in administration. However they neglected to notice that there was no plan in place to replace them.
  #5064  
Old 05-19-2017, 07:27 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 12,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I cannot understand why the left wants to get rid of Trump. If you are going to have a Republican in the White House, wouldn't you rather have.a bumbling ex-democrat social moderate who can be manipulated with flattery and who has his two Democrat-voting children advising him, rather than a competent social conservative true believer?

Impeaching Trump means president Pence. In what world is that an improvement from the left's perspective? If anything, Pence will be even more conservative than Trump, but he's also much more skilled at working the Congress and the media. Hence, he will likely be more effective at advancing a conservative agenda. And if Pence doesn't take the job, or somehow goes down with Trump, you get President Ryan, whose main goals are reforming entitlements, flattening taxes, and lowering regulations

From the left's perspective, an idiot like Trump is the best card in a very bad hand, isn't he?
Banquet Bear and others have already said much of what I wanted to say.

Like Colibri said, I was initially (like on November 10th or so) willing to take the wait-and-see approach with Trump. And in some respects, I was actually cautiously optimistic that Trump would turn out to be more of a center-line pragmatist. I expected a fair number of novice mistakes, but I felt that if he could hire the right people around him, maybe, just maybe this little experiment could work and he might even turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

It took a matter of weeks to dispel me of these notions for good. Trump's tone and his appointments have made it clear that he is completely motivated by his own narcissism and nothing else. The fact that he isn't an ideologue means little because extremist and fringe elements in our society -- groups that really should never have seen the light of day -- have sensed in Trump an opportunity to have a seat at the table of presidential power for doing nothing more than praising him and appealing to his grandiose ego. The evangelicals realized this early on, which is why they supported him over more tried and true conservatives like Ted Cruz. The white nationalists realized this, which is why people like David Duke now actually seem horrifyingly relevant.

Trump is by no means the first president to believe in the supremacy of the Executive Branch but he's one of the few presidents who's been openly hostile to the institutions that support our Constitutionally enshrined principles as a democratic republic. But I'd argue that he's even more dangerous than Nixon -- far more so -- because Nixon didn't have a corrupt congressional majority to enable him and his worst impulses. Some in congress are simply too concerned with their own ambitions and too timid to confront him, but more ominously, I think some in congress actually share a sense of contempt for these institutions and safeguards as well and are complicit in their attempted destruction. Their folly is that they believe they'd be able to control a powerful Executive once they break down these institutions, but a pluralistic congress wouldn't stand a chance. Trump is a far greater threat than Nixon, and he might be the greatest threat to civil liberties since the days of John Adams. Trump is like a federalist but a federalist who wants a submissive congress and judiciary that behaves like a puppet. He wants to run government the way he runs his businesses and he wants to have the power to run over anyone who gets in his path. He has no sense of consequences, no sense of reckoning. And yet he has awesome powers at his disposal. I'll take Pence any day, and I am no fan of Pence at all.

Last edited by asahi; 05-19-2017 at 07:30 AM.
  #5065  
Old 05-19-2017, 07:52 AM
BeepKillBeep is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Trump is by no means the first president to believe in the supremacy of the Executive Branch but he's one of the few presidents who's been openly hostile to the institutions that support our Constitutionally enshrined principles as a democratic republic. But I'd argue that he's even more dangerous than Nixon -- far more so -- because Nixon didn't have a corrupt congressional majority to enable him and his worst impulses. Some in congress are simply too concerned with their own ambitions and too timid to confront him, but more ominously, I think some in congress actually share a sense of contempt for these institutions and safeguards as well and are complicit in their attempted destruction. Their folly is that they believe they'd be able to control a powerful Executive once they break down these institutions, but a pluralistic congress wouldn't stand a chance. Trump is a far greater threat than Nixon, and he might be the greatest threat to civil liberties since the days of John Adams. Trump is like a federalist but a federalist who wants a submissive congress and judiciary that behaves like a puppet. He wants to run government the way he runs his businesses and he wants to have the power to run over anyone who gets in his path. He has no sense of consequences, no sense of reckoning. And yet he has awesome powers at his disposal. I'll take Pence any day, and I am no fan of Pence at all.
I was thinking something very similar the other day. I think the greatest danger to the US right now is if Trump doesn't get impeached. There's a very real assault taking place on many of your principles and institutions. Not that I was the only one, but after the election I said many times that Trump will tear down everything that is good about the US, if not on purpose than by accident. If Trump is not impeached I think there is a very real probability that this becomes your new normal, and that's not good for the long term health of your government. Not because of Trump directly, i.e. he's not going to get himself declared dictator, but rather the long-term effects. Some day you'll have somebody with a lot political savvy and a weakened democracy and I think the outcome will be bad for the US when that day comes.

And that's what surprises me the most about people who continue to support Trump. I understand voting for Trump for a number of reasons. But how anybody with even rudimentary levels of intelligence can continue to support him boggles my mind.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 05-19-2017 at 07:54 AM.
  #5066  
Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 AM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post

Like Colibri said, I was initially (like on November 10th or so) willing to take the wait-and-see approach with Trump. And in some respects, I was actually cautiously optimistic that Trump would turn out to be more of a center-line pragmatist. I expected a fair number of novice mistakes, but I felt that if he could hire the right people around him, maybe, just maybe this little experiment could work and he might even turn out to be a pleasant surprise.
This was my feeling. I was against trump the campaigner, but I was willing to give him a chance as president. If he made a pivot away from the disgusting character he played on the campaign trail, and towards being a force for actually making america great again, then I could get behind that.

He was in a unique position after the election, where he has fairly unchecked power. He had terrified the republicans and beaten the democrats. He really was in a position to write the policy for the next decade or so. His promises on healthcare and the economy, while I did not feel were realistic, were at least in the right place, and it was conceivable that he would surround himself with the sorts of people who could get that done. I was very cautiously optimistic that things may turn out well under his administration. If nothing else, healthcare could be done fairly well, (if not up to quite the standards he promised on the campaign trail) if you have the political capital to actually do it, which I believe at the time he had.



Quote:
It took a matter of weeks to dispel me of these notions for good.
Weeks? I dunno, he dispelled me of the notion that he would be presidenting for the good of the country right off the bat with his cabinet picks and tweets. It was a fleeting moment of optimism.
  #5067  
Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 24,640
Representative Ted Lieu of CA has prepared a document to assist Trump during his overseas trip:

https://twitter.com/RepTedLieu/statu...68077240451074
  #5068  
Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Chimera is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Wll let's see what Donald is attempting to do and our Republicans are allowing him to do...

Gutting the State Department
Undermining our alliances
Destroying the credibility of the USA by threatening to renegotiate or cancel every treaty we have.
Attempting to destroy every trade agreement negotiated by the USA.
Destroying our regulatory agencies.
Undermining our public education system, which is the core of every first world nation.
Outing spies and passing on secrets to our enemies.
Undermine America's middle class and poor.
Wildly increase economic disparity.
Tyrannical law enforcement.
Undermine the courts.

Attempt to jail reporters, LOYALTY OATHS, etc.

I'm sure this list of Donald Trump's agenda looks a lot more impressive in the original Russian.
  #5069  
Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 24,640
Let's not forget how they answered America's cries for the right to kill hibernating animals.
  #5070  
Old 05-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 6,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
"Bad wall. No wonder they're wailing about it. Terrible wall, shoddy workmanship, cracks everywhere filled with paper (PAPER !), not high enough. Does not stop Palestinians. Shameful."
"Jews are great I love Jews. There is this Jewish Deli in the basement of Trump tower, best sandwiches anywhere, the best, next time you're in New York you've got to go there. Every chance I get I go down there and order some Latkes and a ham and cheese on Rye. The best, wonderful. You Jews are so hard working and so smart to. Did you know that all the banks are owned by Jews, not many people know this but its true. Every single one. That's how I know that Jews are so smart..."
  #5071  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:03 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 24,640
"I prefer religious groups that weren't Holocausted."
  #5072  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Biffster's Avatar
Biffster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
This was my feeling. I was against trump the campaigner, but I was willing to give him a chance as president. If he made a pivot away from the disgusting character he played on the campaign trail, and towards being a force for actually making america great again, then I could get behind that.



He was in a unique position after the election, where he has fairly unchecked power. He had terrified the republicans and beaten the democrats. He really was in a position to write the policy for the next decade or so. His promises on healthcare and the economy, while I did not feel were realistic, were at least in the right place, and it was conceivable that he would surround himself with the sorts of people who could get that done. I was very cautiously optimistic that things may turn out well under his administration. If nothing else, healthcare could be done fairly well, (if not up to quite the standards he promised on the campaign trail) if you have the political capital to actually do it, which I believe at the time he had.











Weeks? I dunno, he dispelled me of the notion that he would be presidenting for the good of the country right off the bat with his cabinet picks and tweets. It was a fleeting moment of optimism.

A leopard doesn't change its spots. The Trump you saw on the campaign trail was Trump in his courtship phase. The actual Trump is actually becoming much worse and far more unhinged.
  #5073  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 AM
Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
"Jews are great I love Jews. There is this Jewish Deli in the basement of Trump tower, best sandwiches anywhere, the best, next time you're in New York you've got to go there. Every chance I get I go down there and order some Latkes and a ham and cheese on Rye. The best, wonderful. You Jews are so hard working and so smart to. Did you know that all the banks are owned by Jews, not many people know this but its true. Every single one. That's how I know that Jews are so smart..."
The fact that some are afraid Trump may even inadvertently quote or paraphrase The Protocols is horrifying.
  #5074  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Crotalus's Avatar
Crotalus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
Posts: 6,127
Who could possibly have planned this trip? A speech to 50 Arab leaders? How could that possibly go well? If he goes off script for even a moment, which seems inevitable, riots may ensue.
  #5075  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:15 AM
The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,883
My money's on Hillary Clinton.
  #5076  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:17 AM
voltaire's Avatar
voltaire is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 6,188
Trump's hotel down the street from the White House has some refreshingly honest, new signage!

https://twitter.com/igorvolsky/statu...06427720085504
  #5077  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
Some day you'll have somebody with a lot political savvy and a weakened democracy and I think the outcome will be bad for the US when that day comes.
Consider the question "why did Rome fall?" The question can be reasonably answered. Then consider "did people know Rome was falling at the time?" In the middle of it, could they tell?

Sometimes I worry that we are in the beginning of the downfall of America, and no one notices. Future (Chinese ) historians will write of the Fall Of America, and the factors will be obvious to see, in hindsight. These are the thoughts that keep me up at night.
  #5078  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:28 AM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
"...and a ham and cheese on Rye...."
With a nice glass milk, maybe?
  #5079  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 AM
Procrustus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW.
Posts: 12,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Trump's hotel down the street from the White House has some refreshingly honest, new signage!

https://twitter.com/igorvolsky/statu...06427720085504
For those of us without the benefit of twitter?
  #5080  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Crotalus's Avatar
Crotalus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
Posts: 6,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
For those of us without the benefit of twitter?
+1. Why are twitter links such a mess?
  #5081  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:39 AM
AnalogSignal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
Who could possibly have planned this trip? A speech to 50 Arab leaders? How could that possibly go well? If he goes off script for even a moment, which seems inevitable, riots may ensue.
Even if he stays 100% on script for his Islam speech, things could still go horribly wrong since this speech is being written by Stephen Miller, the genius behind the Muslim ban.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  #5082  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 36,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
For those of us without the benefit of twitter?
This again.
  #5083  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
"Jews are great I love Jews. There is this Jewish Deli in the basement of Trump tower, best sandwiches anywhere, the best, next time you're in New York you've got to go there. Every chance I get I go down there and order some Latkes and a ham and cheese on Rye. The best, wonderful. You Jews are so hard working and so smart to. Did you know that all the banks are owned by Jews, not many people know this but its true. Every single one. That's how I know that Jews are so smart..."
The scary thing is... this sounds exactly like something Trump would say. If this was reported, I would have assumed it was completely true. Poe's Law.
  #5084  
Old 05-19-2017, 12:26 PM
dasmoocher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Rosenstein Says He Knew Trump Planned to Fire Comey Before Writing Memo



Bolding mine.

We all knew this already, but still....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
From the Trumpster himself:



Bumpity bumpity bump. There goes every one of his associates under the bus.
Hopefully, some of Trump's associates would now start thinking about throwing Trump under the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
I was thinking something very similar the other day. I think the greatest danger to the US right now is if Trump doesn't get impeached. There's a very real assault taking place on many of your principles and institutions. Not that I was the only one, but after the election I said many times that Trump will tear down everything that is good about the US, if not on purpose than by accident. If Trump is not impeached I think there is a very real probability that this becomes your new normal, and that's not good for the long term health of your government. Not because of Trump directly, i.e. he's not going to get himself declared dictator, but rather the long-term effects. Some day you'll have somebody with a lot political savvy and a weakened democracy and I think the outcome will be bad for the US when that day comes.

And that's what surprises me the most about people who continue to support Trump. I understand voting for Trump for a number of reasons. But how anybody with even rudimentary levels of intelligence can continue to support him boggles my mind.
Bannon has admitted they are trying to "deconstruct" the state.

I've seen some Trump supporters post on Facebook that what is most important to them is that Trump gets rid of anything the Muslim "Haussain [sic]" did. One even commented on a post about sea salt having plastic microsphere contamination that it is good that Trump is rolling back Obama's environmental legacy. Yes. This person is cool with having polluted food if that's the price for sticking it to Obama and liberals.
  #5085  
Old 05-19-2017, 12:30 PM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 18,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
The fact that some are afraid Trump may even inadvertently quote or paraphrase The Protocols is horrifying.
He likes to have those people with the funny little hats count his money.

"As I look out over this sea of your funny little hats, I am reminded of counting money. Why ARE you people so good at that?"
  #5086  
Old 05-19-2017, 12:35 PM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 44,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Sometimes I worry that we are in the beginning of the downfall of America, and no one notices. Future (Chinese ) historians will write of the Fall Of America, and the factors will be obvious to see, in hindsight. These are the thoughts that keep me up at night.
I don't think there is much question. Given its advantage in population, as China advances it will inevitably become the world's dominant power. The question is whether that will take 20 or 100 years. The Trump presidency, by weakening our alliances and trade partnerships throughout the world and damaging our credibility with both friends and enemies, will accelerate that process. It's ironic that a president who says his aim is to "Make America great again" is weakening it.
  #5087  
Old 05-19-2017, 01:00 PM
voltaire's Avatar
voltaire is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 6,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
For those of us without the benefit of twitter?
I have never tweeted in my life and don't even have a Twitter account. Furthermore, I run uBlock and NoScript and take several other security measures that generally break fussy websites that run all kinds of scripts and/or want you to login.

That is all the long way of saying that I fucking hate Twitter, yet have resigned myself to the fact that it's here, our president unfortunately uses it to communicate, and it's hardly possible to read any news these days without "the benefit of twitter", so it'd be better to just figure out your technical issue than to depend on Tweet-interpreters for the foreseeable future. You shouldn't need to login or anything to be able to see that tweet.
  #5088  
Old 05-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Son of a Rich's Avatar
Son of a Rich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Barsoom
Posts: 4,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
He likes to have those people with the funny little hats count his money.

"As I look out over this sea of your funny little hats, I am reminded of counting money. Why ARE you people so good at that?"
"People don't ask that question, but why was there the Holocaust? Why could that one not have been worked out?"
  #5089  
Old 05-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Representative Ted Lieu of CA has prepared a document to assist Trump during his overseas trip:

https://twitter.com/RepTedLieu/statu...68077240451074
I have been begging him to run for the Senate. Congressman Lieu is a treasure.

The replies on that post are as awesome as the original.
  #5090  
Old 05-19-2017, 01:41 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
A leopard doesn't change its spots. The Trump you saw on the campaign trail was Trump in his courtship phase. The actual Trump is actually becoming much worse and far more unhinged.
Yeah, I know, like I said, it was a brief glimmer of optimism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
"People don't ask that question, but why was there the Holocaust? Why could that one not have been worked out?"
"My deportation squads would have found Anne Frank."
  #5091  
Old 05-19-2017, 01:49 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
"People don't ask that question, but why was there the Holocaust? Why could that one not have been worked out?"
"Apparently a lot of people were killed at the Holocaust. Nobody knew this. But it was a big thing. I promise to shut this Holocaust thing down."
  #5092  
Old 05-19-2017, 01:56 PM
AnalogSignal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
"Apparently a lot of people were killed at the Holocaust. Nobody knew this. But it was a big thing. I promise to shut this Holocaust thing down."
"I could have got a long great with Hitler who was a very smart leader. I could have negotiated peace in our time. Believe me."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  #5093  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Biffster's Avatar
Biffster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
+1. Why are twitter links such a mess?

The dishonest media. They're very unfair. Very unfair. Twitter needs to fix their links. I'm they're biggest customer and you'd think the least they could do is fix their links. Don't pay them. Don't pay them. Something's wrong with my mic. Very dishonest. It's disgraceful. Jews make great sandwiches. I've never tried falafel but I hear it's great. There's some Muslims that have a business down my street. They're great people. Great people. I'll bet they can make some great sandwiches too.
  #5094  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSignal View Post
Even if he stays 100% on script for his Islam speech, things could still go horribly wrong since this speech is being written by Stephen Miller, the genius behind the Muslim ban.
Maybe he'll suggest to the Saudi leaders that they impose their own Muslim ban.
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #5095  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Biffster's Avatar
Biffster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Maybe he'll suggest to the Saudi leaders that they impose their own Muslim ban.


Ironically, they already have in some respects. Saudi Arabia for example won't take in any Syrian refugees despite having millions of tents for exactly that purpose. What's up with that?
  #5096  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:14 PM
AnalogSignal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,686
Breaking News: Trump called Comey a crazy nut job. Said firing him relieved great pressure. He said this to the Russians!

The Trumptanic is heading straight for the iceberg.



Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  #5097  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:16 PM
Procrustus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW.
Posts: 12,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
I have never tweeted in my life and don't even have a Twitter account. Furthermore, I run uBlock and NoScript and take several other security measures that generally break fussy websites that run all kinds of scripts and/or want you to login.

That is all the long way of saying that I fucking hate Twitter, yet have resigned myself to the fact that it's here, our president unfortunately uses it to communicate, and it's hardly possible to read any news these days without "the benefit of twitter", so it'd be better to just figure out your technical issue than to depend on Tweet-interpreters for the foreseeable future. You shouldn't need to login or anything to be able to see that tweet.
I have nothing against twitter, I just couldn't see what was linked. Maybe it's me, I don't know. I'm not adverse to seeing a tweet, just don't know how.
  #5098  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSignal View Post
Breaking News: Trump called Comey a crazy nut job. Said firing him relieved great pressure. He said this to the Russians!

The Trumptanic is heading straight for the iceberg.
I wonder how this will be spun.

Quote:
I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job, Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. I faced great pressure because of Russia. Thats taken off.

Mr. Trump added, Im not under investigation.
  #5099  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:31 PM
AngelSoft's Avatar
AngelSoft is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland of the NW
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Probably pretty much in the same way that's noted in the article. Comey was making it too difficult for Trump to 'engage and negotiate' with Russia so that's why he had to go.
  #5100  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:41 PM
The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,883
I just hatched from an egg in the hold of an alien spaceship and latched onto the face of a young yet leathery John Hurt. Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. I shoved my ovipositor down his throat and laid my eggs in his chest."

Mr. Trump added, But I'm not an alien.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017