Old 03-09-2017, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

It's not often that compliments are given in the Pit, but I think a couple are warranted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I heard a saying once. Something about taking a knife to a gunfight? Or maybe it was taking a poorly-sharpened Crayola to a gunfight? Kid, you're playing in the Bigs here....
Dropzone, you said what I was thinking, but you said it much better than I could. The SDMB is indeed the big leagues. Nicely said!

And Evil Economist, great job at ferreting out the plagiarism!

Carry on, all.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Economist View Post
It's from an article in the Sunday Times (Sept. 16, 2001) (only online link I could find):

The middle part of the country—the great red zone that voted for Bush—is clearly ready for war. The decadent Left in its enclaves on the coasts is not dead—and may well mount what amounts to a fifth column.
And what ckalli1998 wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalli1998 View Post
The great red zone of Middle America, the South, and the Rust Belt that voted from Trump is clearly ready for the great, coming economic growth after 8 years of slow growth and low home ownership rates, the lowest in 51 years in fact. The decadent, ultraliberal left in its enclaves on the coasts is not dead; they may very well mount s fifth column and make common cause with the Islamists.
Well done! With that help I found the original column reprinted at Free Republic for those who would like to compare it to ckalli1998's future (?) posts.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:13 AM

Why does this sound familiar?
Quote:
I mean, come on. Do we truly believe that ALL red-state residents are ignorant racist fascist knuckle-dragging NASCAR-obsessed cousin-marrying roadkill-eating tobacco-juice-dribbling gun-fondling religious fanatic rednecks; or that ALL blue-state residents are godless unpatriotic pierced-nose Volvo-driving France-loving left-wing communist latte-sucking tofu-chomping holistic-wacko neurotic vegan weenie perverts?
Oh, that's right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barry in a 2004 column for The Washington Post
Must we stereotype those who disagree with us? Do we truly believe that all red-state residents are ignorant, racist, fascist, knuckle-dragging, NASCAR-obsessed, cousin-marrying, roadkill-eating, tobacco juice-dribbling, gun-fondling, religious-fanatic rednecks; or that all blue-state residents are godless, unpatriotic, pierced-nosed, Volvo-driving, France-loving, left-wing communist, latte-sucking, tofu-chomping, holistic-wacko, neurotic, vegan, weenie perverts?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...umns/barrydave

Dude, that was the FIRST hit when I Googled "knuckle-dragging NASCAR-obsessed cousin-marrying roadkill-eating." If you're ever going to hone your skills as a truly effective plagiarist, you've got to learn how to hide your tracks. But plagiarists (especially undergraduate students) are usually too lazy to bother, or assume their readers/professors won't notice. *sigh*
Old 03-10-2017, 12:35 AM

Can we please stop this hijack and feeding the troll? Pretty please. I come to this thread daily to read about the clusterfuck that is the Trump Administration. It's like a one stop shop for all things stupid-Trump related.

Heard someone (might have been on Facebook) call it a Trumpster fire. I think that's awesome. I want to get that made into a t-shirt.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:51 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Enough with the plagiarism, I quoted someone else on an online forum and didn't originally give credit, no, but a guy who quoted MLK here didn't give credit either. Obviously, I never plagiarize on college assignments, buddy.
I'm not excusing it, I'm saying Trump more than made up for what he said on the tape.
What this tells us, is that you're willing to plagiarize in situations where there's no penalty to being caught. And not because you have any understanding of, or concern for, the ethical issues involved in stealing other people's work.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
It's not often that compliments are given in the Pit, but I think a couple are warranted..

Dropzone, you said what I was thinking, but you said it much better than I could. The SDMB is indeed the big leagues. Nicely said!
happy thougts before my rrwblet crqshes agsin;.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:00 AM

So apparently our new poster has never had an original thought in his life.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
So apparently our new poster has never had an original thought in his life.
not true
Old 03-10-2017, 01:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

(trying again) I'm ADD. When I was a kid there wasn't a thing like ADD. You have no idea how long this took. However, you are an idiot.

Last edited by dropzone; 03-10-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:18 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
not true
I've heard that before.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
International respect. I think the women of the world would disagree, my friend.
Funny thing... I seem to remember that America was widely respected during the Clinton administration. The reason we started to be seen as substantially worse was... Oh right, the guy after him. Between the un-asked-for massages and

Quote:
The great red zone of Middle America, the South, and the Rust Belt that voted from Trump is clearly ready for the great, coming economic growth after 8 years of slow growth and low home ownership rates, the lowest in 51 years in fact. The decadent, ultraliberal left in its enclaves on the coasts is not dead; they may very well mount s fifth column and make common cause with the Islamists.
https://www.theatlantic.com/daily-di...pology/181356/

For fuck's sake. Even your crazy is lifted wholesale from the work of others. And it's not iconic quotes that everyone recognizes, like referring to the "arc of history bends towards justice"; anyone reading this not familiar either with the works of Andrew Sullivan in the lead-up to the iraq war or the fact that you keep doing this would think that this was your original thoughts. I guess you're not that eloquent on your own, huh?

Quote:
And it's not like Mr. Obama exacerbated the problem by passing a multibillion dollar stimulus program down the throats of the American people that was chock-full of infamous, wasteful pork measures like Solyndra, which costs the taxpayers a whopping $780 million in full, as well as other blatant saps to environmental zealots that costs taxpayers $2.2 billion in full, ultimately giving taxpayers a net negative return on their investments–oh wait, yes he did.
Just so you know, that program Solyndra got loans under? Not only did it jumpstart the utility-level photovoltaic industry, but it's currently in the black, with around a 2% loss rate, despite congress initially predicting up to 10 billion dollars in losses. Guess what - when you invest in a bunch of tech startups, you're going to have some losers. This is always the case. It will always be the case, particularly when talking about technologies which are not yet proven to be effective but show great potential. Meanwhile, the program produced quite a few jobs and is still turning a profit for Washington. I have no idea where you got the idea that this program cost taxpayers $2.2 billion, because as of 2014 it was in the black and as of 2016 it was outperforming banks.

The consensus in economics is pretty clear, meanwhile: the stimulus worked. The worst you can say about it is that it didn't go far enough.

Quote:
You can blame Bush all you want, but Obama was President for the least eight years, the first six of which he had a Democratic Senate, the first two of which he had a Democratic House (and Senate, his party controlled both houses his first two years).
Oh look, another stupid myth that needs busting. Let's be perfectly clear here. For the first two years of Obama's presidency, the senate minority turned the filibuster from "we're going to block this extreme bill" to "we're going to block fucking everything". Which shouldn't have been a problem, except that between a bogus voter fraud investigation on Al Franken and the death of Ted Kennedy, the democrats only had a very slim window in which they had 60 seats - two months, and even that's overstated due to the ill health of Arlen Spectre. And then, in 2010, republicans took the house, and at that point literally any chance of enacting his agenda went out the window. Not that there was much chance between then and the election of Scott Brown in the Massachussetts special election, because apparently doing anything in the senate requires 60 votes now.

And your comparisons to Reagan are interesting, but miss the point that the democratic congress was fundamentally willing to work with Reagan and reach compromises, and respected that he was the president. Even with only 40 fucking seats in the senate, Mitch McConnell insisted on using the filibuster as a cudgel against anything he didn't find ideologically appealing - which was virtually everything.

Quote:
What's the matter, QuickSilver? You're not addressing my points at hand (and there are a lot of them)
Yeah. You engaged in a gish gallop of long-form right-wing spew. It's all bullshit.

Quote:
my gut
Guts are inherently full of shit, yours doubly so.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
not true
Still making excuses and deflecting blame, huh, plagiarist? What a gutless coward you are.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Still making excuses and deflecting blame, huh, plagiarist? What a gutless coward you are.
He plagiarized that one from Hamilton.

I'll see myself out...
Old 03-10-2017, 09:35 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
I do. Go for it.
You lose the bet pretty spectacularly.

Pretty pathetic when you can't even come up with your own messageboard posts.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:47 AM

Yes, it's pretty pathetic when you can't even come up with your own messageboard posts. That's what I say.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
my gut
Sounds familiar: "...my name is Stephen Colbert and tonight it's my privilege to celebrate this president. We're not so different, he and I. We get it. We're not brainiacs on the nerd patrol. We're not members of the factinista. We go straight from the gut, right sir? That's where the truth lies, right down here in the gut. Do you know you have more nerve endings in your gut than you have in your head? You can look it up. I know some of you are going to say "I did look it up, and that's not true." That's 'cause you looked it up in a book.

Next time, look it up in your gut. I did. My gut tells me that's how our nervous system works. Every night on my show, the Colbert Report, I speak straight from the gut, OK? I give people the truth, unfiltered by rational argument. I call it the "No Fact Zone." Fox News, I hold a copyright on that term."
Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Yes, it's pretty pathetic when you can't even come up with your own messageboard posts. That's what I say.
Or at least cite your sources: "Yes, it's 'pretty pathetic when you can't even come up with your own messageboard posts.' (Colibri, SDMB BBQ Pit, March 10, 2017)."

Last edited by Colibri; 03-10-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
my gut
Brain too small?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Wow, Colibri preemptively plagiarized Gyrate.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:04 AM

This is what the "moral high ground" of conservatives has become: a little plagiarism is no big deal. A little theft is no big deal. Shutting down the federal government is no big deal. Bald-faced lies are no big deal as long as we get what we want. A little torture is no big deal as long as it gets us what we want. Admission to sexual assault on camera is no big deal. Falsely accusing a former president, on Twitter, of something illegal, with absolutely no evidence, is no big deal. Hiring a foreign agent to head our fucking national security is no big deal. Calling journalists the "enemy of the people" is no big deal. Having ties to the Russians is no big deal. Handing the West Wing over to a couple of conspiracy theorists and white nationalists is no big deal. Appointing people to run federal departments with absolutely zero professional experience or education in those areas is no big deal.

And that's why the clusterfuck of Trump's presidency is what it is. The water in the pot just keeps getting warmer and warmer, and the frogs just keep making excuses as to why we just couldn't possibly be getting boiled alive. Oh, but fucksticks like this latest copy-and-paste troll, they've got the "moral high ground." Fuck that. You're fucking destroying this country, and you're too stupid to even realize it, or care.

Now can we please put this fucker on ignore and get back to pointing at Trump's dumbfuckery already?

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 03-10-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:09 AM

Wow, Happy, you've outdone yourself. That is an awesome post. It makes me want to cry, but it sums up our horrible situation very well.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
Can we please stop this hijack and feeding the troll? Pretty please. I come to this thread daily to read about the clusterfuck that is the Trump Administration. It's like a one stop shop for all things stupid-Trump related.

Heard someone (might have been on Facebook) call it a Trumpster fire. I think that's awesome. I want to get that made into a t-shirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
This is what the "moral high ground" of conservatives has become: a little plagiarism is no big deal. A little theft is no big deal. Shutting down the federal government is no big deal. Bald-faced lies are no big deal as long as we get what we want. A little torture is no big deal as long as it gets us what we want. Admission to sexual assault on camera is no big deal. Falsely accusing a former president, on Twitter, of something illegal, with absolutely no evidence, is no big deal. Hiring a foreign agent to head our fucking national security is no big deal. Calling journalists the "enemy of the people" is no big deal. Having ties to the Russians is no big deal. Handing the West Wing over to a couple of conspiracy theorists and white nationalists is no big deal. Appointing people to run federal departments with absolutely zero professional experience or education in those areas is no big deal.

And that's why the clusterfuck of Trump's presidency is what it is. The water in the pot just keeps getting warmer and warmer, and the frogs just keep making excuses as to why we just couldn't possibly be getting boiled alive. Oh, but fucksticks like this latest copy-and-paste troll, they've got the "moral high ground." Fuck that. You're fucking destroying this country, and you're too stupid to even realize it, or care.

Now can we please put this fucker on ignore and get back to pointing at Trump's dumbfuckery already?
AMEN!
Old 03-10-2017, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
Wow, Happy, you've outdone yourself. That is an awesome post. It makes me want to cry, but it sums up our horrible situation very well.
Agreed. The only thing left out was that not only are the department heads devoid of experience in the respective field, many have actively worked to destroy the department they now head.

Example being Rick "I don't know what the Department of Energy does but it should be shut down" Perry.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:25 AM
BANNED

TIME OUT! TIME OUT!

We interrupt this thread with some really-funny-news.

Carry on.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:33 AM

^ Complete fail.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did that after about 5, maybe 10 posts. Life's too short to be inundated with their evil stupidity. I wipe better things off the bottom of my shoes before entering my house.

This administration is like KAOS, only far less competent, and the apologists are simply the rank and file KAOS agents, only far less intelligent. Sadly, the opposition hasn't yet formed even a less competent CONTROL - instead it is still a disjointed, neutered mess. Where are Edward Platt, Barbara Feldon, and Don Adams when you need them?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
What this tells us, is that you're willing to plagiarize in situations where there's no penalty to being caught. And not because you have any understanding of, or concern for, the ethical issues involved in stealing other people's work.
Unfortunately, this probably bodes well for his career prospects.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Agreed. The only thing left out was that not only are the department heads devoid of experience in the respective field, many have actively worked to destroy the department they now head.

Example being Rick "I don't know what the Department of Energy does but it should be shut down" Perry.
Except the claim that Rick Perry didn't know what the Energy Department did when Trump nominated him to lead it turned out to be false (http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ick-perry.html.

For what it's worth, he did not call journalists the enemy of the American people, but the "fake news media" the enemy of the people. As in, outlets that run stories about him that are either grossly exaggerated or false.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
For what it's worth, he did not call journalists the enemy of the American people, but the "fake news media" the enemy of the people. As in, outlets that run stories about him that are either grossly exaggerated or false.
That are either grossly exaggerated or false, as by perceived by Trump. Which, apparently, is any media outlet that is not obsequious in its coverage of Trump and his cronies.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Except the claim that Rick Perry didn't know what the Energy Department did when Trump nominated him to lead it turned out to be false (http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ick-perry.html.

He was running for President in 2012 when he said it. Fucking ignorant for a Presidential candidate.
When did he get a clue?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:

He specifically cited the New York Times, NBC and CNN as "the enemy of the American people". Those are journalists who had recently published something he didn't like. That was their crime. This thin-skinned, fact-free, impulsive child didn't like something he read or saw.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
He was running for President in 2012 when he said it. Fucking ignorant for a Presidential candidate.
When did he get a clue?
And here's a quote from from a member of Trump's Energy Department transition team.
Quote:
But Michael McKenna, who at one point was part of Trump’s transition team for the Energy Department, told the newspaper Perry is educating himself.

“If you asked him on that first day he said yes, he would have said, ‘I want to be an advocate for energy,’” McKenna said.

“If you asked him now, he’d say, ‘I’m serious about the challenges facing the nuclear complex.’ It’s been a learning curve.”
Old 03-10-2017, 11:24 AM

Trump/Tillerson hollowing out the State Department.

For the sake of Russia?

No one from the state department was involved when the Mexican foreign minister visited Washington DC. In fact, a state department spokesperson said he wasn't even aware of the visit.

WTF?????
Old 03-10-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post

For the sake of Russia?

No one from the state department was involved when the Mexican foreign minister visited Washington DC. In fact, a state department spokesperson said he wasn't even aware of the visit.

WTF?????
That fascist drunken toad, Bannon, sees Tillerson and the State Dept as a threat. That's fucking what the.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good idea.

In the process of doing so, I discover that he's made over 100 posts in 24 hours. Seems a trifle excessive.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
And here's a quote from from a member of Trump's Energy Department transition team.
That quote was front and center in the Times story ckalli's spew was angry about, yet conveniently ignored in the hackjob linked.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
That quote was front and center in the Times story ckalli's spew was angry about, yet conveniently ignored in the hackjob linked.
It's the usual: noun + verb + Lügenpresse!, with these nitwits. Not an original thought between the lot of 'em.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
He specifically cited the New York Times, NBC and CNN as "the enemy of the American people". Those are journalists who had recently published something he didn't like. That was their crime. This thin-skinned, fact-free, impulsive child didn't like something he read or saw.
Also ABC and CBS.

Last edited by RickJay; 03-10-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:

For the sake of Russia?

WTF?????
How does the State Department allow Trump to make money?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
How does the State Department allow Trump to make money?
Same way Clinton turned it into a cash machine.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:30 PM

Foreign tourists are not allowed on White House tours without first going through their embassies. Supposedly. But the British Embassy said that the State Department told them there would be no foreign tourists allowed.
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-a7617301.html
Old 03-10-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Update:
Trump team was told Flynn might need to register as foreign agent
Old 03-10-2017, 01:40 PM

Odd.

Medical examiner told by State Department not to release cause of death for Russian diplomat.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:41 PM

The State Department wants the New York City Medical Examiner to cover up the cause of Vitaly Churkin's death.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...elease-russian
Old 03-10-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Excuse-making shitbirds: "Hey, no big deal. He's gone now, what do you want?"
Old 03-10-2017, 01:49 PM

Are there people out there who are actually buying this shit? The Spicegirl on employment numbers:
Quote:
“They may have been phony in the past, but it’s very real now.”
He really said it.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:56 PM

Yowza.

Hmm, why wouldn't State want his cause of death released? Hmm. I said it before, and I'll say it again: This whole shit show will make a great movie someday. If'n we don't all get blowed up first.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:57 PM

How does Spicer shave or dress while having to avoid looking at himself in the mirror?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:01 PM
BANNED

“In order to comply with international law and protocol, the New York City Law Department has instructed the Office of Chief Medical Examiner to not publicly disclose the cause and manner of death of Ambassador Vitaly Churkin, Permanent Representative of the Russian Federation to the United Nations.”
“As outlined in formal requests from the United States Department of State, Ambassador Churkin’s diplomatic immunity survives his death. Further questions concerning this matter should be directed to the United States Department of State.”

Seems like it is a matter of protocol.

Can you find me a case of another person covered by diplomatic immunity dying in the United States whose cause of death was made public? If you can, you'd have a point.

Last edited by Okrahoma; 03-10-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
How does Spicer shave or dress while having to avoid looking at himself in the mirror?
He really, honestly believes what he says.

He is confident that the employment numbers were totally phony when Obama was president; that the unemployment rate was really 42%, instead of the reported number of 5.0% in April 2016. Now, Spicer knows that the reported number of 4.7% unemployment is absolutely correct and that Trump has singlehandedly brought the unemployment rate down to 4.7% ALL BY HIMSELF.

Spicer simply knows that this is true, and anyone who disputes this is an enemy of the people.