Old 07-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Marlins just hit back to back homers off of Max Scherzer, that's not exactly what I'd expect tonight.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Marlins just hit back to back homers off of Max Scherzer, that's not exactly what I'd expect tonight.
Happier now? (Nats up 10-3 in the 6th).
Old 07-07-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Happier now? (Nats up 10-3 in the 6th).
Oops, 13-3.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:09 PM

Nats beat the Marlins 18-4; Mark Reynolds tied the all-time franchise record for RBI in a game with 10.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:31 PM

Eleven different Red Sox hitters had at least one R.B.I. in tonight's game against the Royals (Martinez, Bogaerts, Moreland, Vázquez, Benintendi, Bradley Jr., Betts, Swihart, Holt, Devers and León).

Any idea what the major league record is for most players on a team having one or more R.B.I.s in a single game?
Old 07-08-2018, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

All star rosters have been announced

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-mlb-al...ed/c-284818156

Not a bad job by the fans except for Bryce Harper.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:57 AM

The three Reds (Votto, SUarez and Gennett) that made it certainly deserved it.

Now they need to stop dropping close games, especially when they have a lead like they have in the last two games against the Cubs.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:22 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Toronto's only All Star representative is JA Happ, and there is a pretty good chance he'll be traded before the All Star game. (There's a 90% chance he will be traded before July 31.)

If that happens, I assume Toronto will have to send someone else. The thing is, the Blue Jays have no deserving All Star at all; even Happ was a terrible choice, but the rules say every team has to have one.

Toronto's best players by WAR:

Justin Smoak 1.9
Kevin Pillar 1.8
Seunghwan Oh 1.0

Those are all their players above 1 WAR. Honestly, the team's best player is really Yangervis Solarte but WAR underrates him.

Still, there's are no All Stars on this team. Even bad teams usually have one. The Orioles are an absolute tire fire of a baseball team but Manny Machado is a tremendous player. The Royals might be even worse but they have some ace relievers. The Mets are so miserable an outfit that they batted Jose Reyes cleanup yesterday (they were shut out, what a surprise) but Jacob deGrom is awesome.

The Blue Jays are 41-48 and I honestly don't know how they aren't 25-64 like the Royals. Nothing has gone right. They have no one who deserves to get into the ASG without a ticket. Where the hell did 41 wins come from?
Old 07-09-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Nats beat the Marlins 18-4; Mark Reynolds tied the all-time franchise record for RBI in a game with 10.
I saw the game at Nationals park. A lot of fun in the stands.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Honestly, the team's best player is really Yangervis Solarte but WAR underrates him.
Kinda curious how that works. You're right, of course.

Meh, it's the ASG. Just for show.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

It really is time to eliminate the each team needs one representative rule.
That might have been fine before expansion, inter league play, and every game being televised, but there's no need for it now. I'd be fine with requiring that the host team gets at least one representative.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:49 PM

I strongly disagree. The All-Star Game is an MLB-wide exhibition, and there should be someone for every team's fans to cheer for.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 07-09-2018, 01:02 PM

For the 4th straight year the game is at an NL city (though I think the AL is the "home" team this year). Yes, I know everybody wants to showcase their new stadiums as soon as possible. Still, they should stick with the alternate years.

I'd be in favor of eliminating the fan vote. On what planet does it make sense to let people vote many times? Let the players vote half of them in and the manager selects the other half. Make every pitcher go two innings so we don't have the endless parade of relievers. Have two guys for every position splitting the night evenly. And don't let Fox have the PA system for introductions.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:48 PM

One inning. I don't want Sevy throwing two.

Pillar is a better defender than Smoak and Solarte are hitters, so he should get sent if Happ is gone.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Kinda curious how that works. You're right, of course.
WAR really does not adequately reflect the value of a multipositional player, a known hole in the methodology. Solarte's multi-positional skills have been a huge, huge deal to the Blue Jays, certainly worth at least the 1 WAR difference between him and Justin Smoak.

Of course, if Solarte was playing on a team with a more set lineup and he just played one position he'd be less valuable. But he doesn't, and isn't.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
For the 4th straight year the game is at an NL city (though I think the AL is the "home" team this year). Yes, I know everybody wants to showcase their new stadiums as soon as possible. Still, they should stick with the alternate years.

I'd be in favor of eliminating the fan vote.
Like the players and managers do a better job? They left out Blake Snell, who might be the best pitcher in the American League.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

It's interesting that with the new schedule format, they've returned to playing games on the Thursday after the All Star break, although it's just Cards vs Cubs, the start of a 5 game series with a makeup game for the hideous weather in mid April
Old 07-10-2018, 08:05 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Now there is talk the Yankees are in talks with the Orioles for Manny Machado, who would, I assume, go back to third base were he a Yankee.

The Orioles would, conversely, go back to double-A.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Now there is talk the Yankees are in talks with the Orioles for Manny Machado, who would, I assume, go back to third base were he a Yankee.

The Orioles would, conversely, go back to double-A.
Manny'd be a little guy on the Yankees. He's only 6'3". They've got a damn basketball team over there.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM

Machado insists he's a shortstop and doesn't want to play 3B. Don't think it will matter if he's traded to the NYY, though.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:18 AM

OOTP is on sale during the All Star break. The phone app MLB manager 2018 is on sale for $1.99. I'm currently playing the app and loving a simplified OOTP experience.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now there is talk the Yankees are in talks with the Orioles for Manny Machado
Other stories have as many as 7 teams "in talks with the Orioles" for Machado. The Yankees are a good bet to get him but don't bank it.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Machado insists he's a shortstop and doesn't want to play 3B. Don't think it will matter if he's traded to the NYY, though.
The statistics say he's a third baseman. His thing about playing short isn't going to last on a team that wants to win.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
OOTP is on sale during the All Star break. The phone app MLB manager 2018 is on sale for $1.99. I'm currently playing the app and loving a simplified OOTP experience.
I just finished a ten year run in OOTP managing the Blue Jays from 2008 on and I won the World Series twice, in 2010 and 2017. Honestly, as a Toronto baseball fan, this is the joy I can get right now.

The game is wonderful.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Boston has lost Christian Vazquez for 6-8 weeks with a broken finger. Why the hell do any players insist on sliding head first, fingers out?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

I assume the Nats/Pirates were delayed by rain? It's only the top of the third. O-0 and it is 847 Eastern time.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:15 PM

How about that shit? Reds turn the tables on the Indians and Votto hits a 9th inning game winning double to plate the winning run(s).

If this is the Reds rebuilding, I am liking it for once. We have a good core of players. I hope we can keep most of them. This is fun for a change for a cellar dweller climbing out of the morass of suckitude.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

'All Star' Bryce Harper with 4 AB and 4 strikeouts. This guy needs some time on the bench
Old 07-10-2018, 11:25 PM

Alex Bregman of the Astros now has two walk-off "hits" this year that failed to go as far as the pitcher's mound. Crazy play to end the Astros-A's game.

Last edited by Tom Scud; 07-10-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:45 PM

Garrett Richards had to leave the game with a right forearm issue. MRI tomorrow. The Deity of Baseball won't be happy till their entire Angels 25 man roster is on the DL.

Last edited by madsircool; 07-10-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
The Deity of Baseball won't be happy till their entire Angels 25 man roster is on the DL.
What did they do to make Mike Trout mad?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
What did they do to make Mike Trout mad?
It pains me to say this but its time to trade Trout and rebuild. The Angels have several awesome OF prospects. Trade him to the Yanks for Glayber, Andujar and two top pitching prospects.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
The All-Star Game is an MLB-wide exhibition, and there should be someone for every team's fans to cheer for.
I can see this for fans of teams out of contention.

It's harder to understand why fans of top teams would want lots of their players selected, so they can risk injury in a meaningless exhibition game.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
It pains me to say this but its time to trade Trout and rebuild. The Angels have several awesome OF prospects. Trade him to the Yanks for Glayber, Andujar and two top pitching prospects.
Trout is signed through 2020 at 32 mil per season. His next contract will be mammoth while he will likely be regressing. The last thing we need is another Pujols contract albatross.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:34 AM

Why in tarnation are the Yankees thinking about Manny Machado? The Yanks have solid young players in Andujar at third and Torres at second. Didi has been more than adequate at short. Why bring in another stellar infielder? Infield depth is not the problem! Starting pitching is the problem! For my money you give Sonny Gray AND Sanchez for a #1 starter. Romine and Hasakioka are ready to take over at #1 and #2 catcher, Sanchez has more value as trade bait.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Why in tarnation are the Yankees thinking about Manny Machado? The Yanks have solid young players in Andujar at third and Torres at second. Didi has been more than adequate at short. Why bring in another stellar infielder? Infield depth is not the problem! Starting pitching is the problem! For my money you give Sonny Gray AND Sanchez for a #1 starter. Romine and Hasakioka are ready to take over at #1 and #2 catcher, Sanchez has more value as trade bait.
The Yanks aren't really thinking about Machado but writers need things to write about.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

There are also stories about the Red Sox dangling Devers for him. Some planted stories are good, but this one isn't - Dombrowski isn't that dumb. They do need a new 2B long term, now that it appears Pedey is done, but Machado isn't it.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:39 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
I absolutely, wholeheartedly disagree.

I can understand how frustrating it must be to watch the greatest baseball player in the world waste his time on a mediocre team. I can see why it might be appealing to cash him in.

But Mike Trout is not just another high profile star. He is the greatest baseball player in the world, and will likely end up, barring a serious injury, being one of the 15-20 greatest who ever lived. You know how the Marlins cashed in Giancarlo Stanton? Mike Trout is WAY better than Giancarlo Stanton. He is worth two Giancarlo Stantons, and that's no exagerration; if you offered me two players exactly like Giancarlo Stanton for Mike Trout, even if the Stantons made no more money together than Trout did, I would absolutely, unhesitatingly turn you down flat. Mike Trout isn't a guy you compare to Giancarlo Stanton. He's comparable to Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Tris Speaker. He's that great.

You can't replace Mike Trout; he is without any comparison in baseball today.

Trout is only 26. He is the best player in baseball this year, and will be the best player in baseball, in all likelihood, for years to come. If the Angels were worse, or Trout was older, and the window of his greatness was short of the expected window of opportunity, maybe you trade him. But that is not true; he will be great for years, and the Angels really are not a bad team.

The Angels could be a 95-win team next year. They're not bad now - two games over .500, and they deserve to be about that. Their weakness is primarily older hitters who really suck, and that's an easily identified and repaired weakness. If the team can summon the courage to dump Albert Pujols and find a few other OK position players they'll be a contender next year.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
There are also stories about the Red Sox dangling Devers for him. Some planted stories are good, but this one isn't - Dombrowski isn't that dumb. They do need a new 2B long term, now that it appears Pedey is done, but Machado isn't it.
I like Manny Machado but my God, he'd be a terrible second baseman. Talk about moving a guy away from his strengths. The Red Sox wouldn't let him anywhere near it.

Crazy idea; the hole I'd like to fill if I'm the Red Sox is the outfield... maybe Machado can move out there...

Last edited by RickJay; 07-11-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I absolutely, wholeheartedly disagree.

I can understand how frustrating it must be to watch the greatest baseball player in the world waste his time on a mediocre team. I can see why it might be appealing to cash him in.

But Mike Trout is not just another high profile star. He is the greatest baseball player in the world, and will likely end up, barring a serious injury, being one of the 15-20 greatest who ever lived. You know how the Marlins cashed in Giancarlo Stanton? Mike Trout is WAY better than Giancarlo Stanton. He is worth two Giancarlo Stantons, and that's no exagerration; if you offered me two players exactly like Giancarlo Stanton for Mike Trout, even if the Stantons made no more money together than Trout did, I would absolutely, unhesitatingly turn you down flat. Mike Trout isn't a guy you compare to Giancarlo Stanton. He's comparable to Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Tris Speaker. He's that great.

You can't replace Mike Trout; he is without any comparison in baseball today.

Trout is only 26. He is the best player in baseball this year, and will be the best player in baseball, in all likelihood, for years to come. If the Angels were worse, or Trout was older, and the window of his greatness was short of the expected window of opportunity, maybe you trade him. But that is not true; he will be great for years, and the Angels really are not a bad team.

The Angels could be a 95-win team next year. They're not bad now - two games over .500, and they deserve to be about that. Their weakness is primarily older hitters who really suck, and that's an easily identified and repaired weakness. If the team can summon the courage to dump Albert Pujols and find a few other OK position players they'll be a contender next year.
A very interesting post. In the off-season thread I advocated releasing Pujols. We have to pay him anyway and he is dragging down the team. They would have been better with Cron. The Angels were in the thick of it until yet another rash of pitching injuries. This many injuries for several seasons leads me to believe that the problem is with the way they want their pitchers to pitch (100% effort on every pitch) taking a toll on young arms. And an inadequate training and medical staff.

In concerned that Trout might walk after 2020. He is worth much more than the compensatory pick.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:41 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Trout's status after 2020 is certainly a concern, but I honestly think this is too early to panic. He is quite tradeable next year or in mid-2020 if in turns out the Angels cannot win.

That said, my assumption is that if they keep him, which I think they should, they try to win, which I think they should. The failure to release Pujols is really kind of ridiculous; there isn't a person in the world except maybe Albert Pujols who thinks he's a good player now. Not having the courage to swallow the sunk cost is costing the Angels ballgames.

This may require a massive payroll. If you;re not going to take a shot with a guy like Trout, though, you should just dissolve the whole franchise.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

"But what if Pujols signs with somebody else, then comes back here to beat us?"

More decisions get made out of stubbornness and fear of embarrassment than analysis, it seems.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Crazy idea; the hole I'd like to fill if I'm the Red Sox is the outfield... maybe Machado can move out there...
As much as I rag on JBJ's dismal offensive ability, I'll admit it's pretty nice having his defense in CF because it allows Betts, also a great defensive outfielder, to play the almost-as-important-at-Fenway right field.

This is the first season in a long time where I can say I'm pretty comfortable with the Red Sox roster at this point. Even if the Yankees pull something off, I'm OK with the Sox not making any big moves.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:33 PM

Hopefully the Reds can break out the brooms in Cleveland tonight and put the Indians to sleep. Man, if only the Reds hadn't started off so poorly this season, they'd be in the thick of the division race.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As much as I rag on JBJ's dismal offensive ability, I'll admit it's pretty nice having his defense in CF because it allows Betts, also a great defensive outfielder, to play the almost-as-important-at-Fenway right field.
But Beni can play CF pretty damn well too, and sitting/trading Bradley lets another bat into the lineup at LF. Bradley does hit in spurts, yes, enough to tantalize and aggravate, but do you really want to count on his bat in October? I'd trade him for a good-hitting young 2B if they can, but not for Starlin Castro.

Quote:
Even if the Yankees pull something off, I'm OK with the Sox not making any big moves.
Not me. They need a lockdown 8th-inning guy to set up Kimbrel in The Games That Matter, and to fill in if he gets hurt. I do not feel confident at all in Barnes and Kelly doing it. Fortunately there are proven closers available, per the usual sources.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:16 PM

I was all for trading JBJ before the 2017 season, when his value was probably at its peak. If they need anything now, I agree it's a reliever. Raisel Iglesias is a name I'm hearing related to Red Sox interest. And if Cincinnati would throw in Scooter Gennet for a reasonable price (doubtful, but the Reds have been known to make bad deals) I could live with that.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I was all for trading JBJ before the 2017 season, when his value was probably at its peak. If they need anything now, I agree it's a reliever. Raisel Iglesias is a name I'm hearing related to Red Sox interest. And if Cincinnati would throw in Scooter Gennet for a reasonable price (doubtful, but the Reds have been known to make bad deals) I could live with that.
You keep your filthy paws off our Scooter! He's been an unbelievable player this season...way, WAY better than the back of his baseball card.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
You keep your filthy paws off our Scooter! He's been an unbelievable player this season...way, WAY better than the back of his baseball card.
They don't have the prospects to get him anyway.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:33 PM

I for one am tired of the prospects/rebuilding/always next year mindset that seems to have permeated Reds culture for a few years now. While they aren't really a contender this season due to the hole they've dug themselves, they are playing great baseball right now and have been for a month. I hope they can keep it up throughout the rest of the season.

Seems having Riggleman as the Skipper has lit a fire under these guys.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:47 PM

Garrett Richards diagnosed with UCL damage and is weighing his options. If the Angels were a horse we would take it round back and put it out of its misery.