Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 AM

If you want a really good, low key youtube walkthrough, without the guys face on the screen too, try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV-jGiHn8ws

He's got a calm voice, almost Bob Ross like. Explains things very well along the way too.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
...I realize that I'm probably going to miss some important audio cues....
Oh, on audio cues--I don't think the videos mention it, but one of the most useful audio cues in the game is the reaper's roar. The scan entry for the reaper says it's like sonar, and "if you can hear it, it can see you", but that's an exaggeration. The range of the roar is slightly larger than the reaper's aggro range, so you can just stop when you hear it faintly and look around. If it's loud, back off until you can't hear it. When you're at a safe distance, look for the reaper, and observe its movements to figure out a safe path through or around its territory.

So, Subnautica Safety Tip of the Day: Don't hear the reaper.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:13 PM

900M down.

Swimming.

Should go back to Seamoth.

UUuuup.....there's a very large thing "playing" with Seamoth.

Should get back in Seamoth and get back....to.....damn.

No more Seamoth.

Well. Guess I have about 3 minutes left. Awful pretty down here. S'pose I'll swim around for a bit.

30 seconds...

Oxygen.....
Old 03-16-2019, 02:11 AM

My basic avoidance strategy for just about all "Big Things That Want To Hurt Me":

Am I in the safe shallows? If yes, I'm fine. If no:

Am I in my Cyclops? If yes, I'm probably fine. If no:

Do I feel safe? If yes, I'm screwed. If no, I'm screwed.

Every BTTWTHM patrols a fairly small area and is either easy to see from far away or not actually that dangerous. AFAIK, the only two BTTWTHM that you HAVE to go near are

SPOILER:
One of the ghost leviathans in the Lost River and the Sea Dragon by the power plant.

Everything else can be given a large berth, and even those will be perfectly fine if you pay attention and don't rush into everything.

I really need to finish that base in the middle of the Dunes.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
9UUuuup.....there's a very large thing "playing" with Seamoth.
Why didn't you chase it off with your knife?

That seems odd, though--I've never seen any of the big stuff mess with an unoccupied Seamoth, though stalkers may bump and bite at it. On the other hand, I never, ever go far from whichever vehicle I'm using, so maybe it's just that they ignore it in favor of the moving, squishy target nearby.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post

That seems odd, though--I've never seen any of the big stuff mess with an unoccupied Seamoth, though stalkers may bump and bite at it. On the other hand, I never, ever go far from whichever vehicle I'm using, so maybe it's just that they ignore it in favor of the moving, squishy target nearby.
It was one of those big translucent wormy bastards in the caverns.

I did park the stupid thing at about 895M, so I wonder if part of what happened was the thing bumped it below 900 and it just imploded.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was one of those big translucent wormy bastards in the caverns.
I killed those. They were obstructing my view of the river, and I've been to the void, so I know damn well that they're not endangered.
Quote:
I did park the stupid thing at about 895M, so I wonder if part of what happened was the thing bumped it below 900 and it just imploded.
That's possible. They squirm around a lot, and can knock the Seamoth about even if they're not attacking it. I usually try to park on something, if I'm near a depth limit (if only to keep myself from forgetting that I shouldn't go deeper in it).

Random Subnautica safety tip: Don't exit your Seamoth while moving at full speed. It doesn't stop instantly, and it's embarrassing to get run over by your own sub.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

I have a 6 year old laptop. Will it likely run this or is this a game that requires a good graphics card? Mine is just an Intel chipset thingy.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I have a 6 year old laptop. Will it likely run this or is this a game that requires a good graphics card? Mine is just an Intel chipset thingy.
The pre-release was the only serious game that would run on my old laptop, which was built to be a gaming machine, but which had developed a severe graphics card issue. (Every game but Subnautica made it try to eject its graphics card. Yes, eject. Then BSOD a few minutes later.) The full release actually has better performance, but also triggers the laptop's 3D allergy.

So...probably? Without detailed specs, I can't say for sure, but it'll probably run. It may not be as pretty as it would be on a high-end machine, but it's a very pretty game, regardless.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Early on, when I was exploring the wreck, I parked my Seamoth on the edge of the Leviathan's territory. When I returned, my Seamoth was gone. I think the Leviathan ate it, although I have no proof.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Early on, when I was exploring the wreck, I parked my Seamoth on the edge of the Leviathan's territory. When I returned, my Seamoth was gone. I think the Leviathan ate it, although I have no proof.
My Seamoth once vanished but was still showing up with a beacon. Iíd gone underground where all the crabsnakes were, got out, swam around, and went back. It seemed like it was under the rock?

Turns out thatís a known (and very common) bug.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/26471...1698704127112/

I found a cheat that lowers the sea floor by 50m and it reappeared! I got in, swam it back to base, saved and restarted the game. Everything went back to normal and I still had my pimped-out Seamoth.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:25 PM

Balance - Okay, watched some videos. This is a lengthy game and I admit that I admit that I didn't have the patience to watch from beginning to end, but I did get a general gist. As far as I can tell, the biggest danger isn't so much getting whomped by a Level 5,000 terror torpedoing in out of nowhere but by trying to do just a bit too much, whereupon "a bit too much" quickly becomes "way too much", followed quickly by "suicide". The thing is, it takes work to make progress. Finding resources is work, processing resources is work, building bases is work, building vehicles is work, getting around is work, in all everything that needs to be accomplished in this game is lots and lots of work. And just one small mishap, just one bit of bad luck anywhere...getting lost away from the vehicle, getting attacked out of nowhere...can reset a lot of progress and create a major chokepoint.

So anyway, tried it again (in Freedom, of course), whereupon within the first five minutes, the following happened.
- I found one little bit of scrap in about a half acre of sea floor.
- I learned I had absolutely no scanner blueprint whatsoever and no indication of how to get one.
- I heard a noise somewhere and my health dropped by about 20 points for no apparent reason. (Even if this game isn't filled with wall-to-wall jumpscares, I'd argue that being attacked by something you can't see at all is even worse.)

You mentioned Getting Over It. Yeah, I know about Bennett Foddy (website here). He's...weird. His thing seems to be royally screwing with conventional game mechanics just for the hell of it, or because he wants to put his unique stamp on his work. There's no telling what he'll crank out next...maybe it'll be nearly unplayable but still plenty of mindless goofy fun (Winner vs. Loser), maybe it'll be an old-fashioned time waster (Fly Flicker), maybe it'll be an irreverent take on an old concept (Speed Chess), maybe it'll be an ya-got-it-or-ya-don't crusher where 98% of players can't make it two steps but an elite few figure it out and go the distance (QWOP). The thing is, he can get away with it because he's not chasing mainstream recognition or expecting big money. The players who shell out $10 or whatever for Getting Over It know exactly what they're doing and willingly placing their money and sanity in the hands of an extremely eccentric programmer who's openly called for games to be more aggravating and frustrating. So no, I'm not paying for any of his stuff, but I don't feel like I've dodged a bullet, as he always been up front about what he is, whereas for Subnautica...I can't say the same.

I was willing to give this a second chance. Having done so, I am now officially at the absolute end of my patience. Look, I'm sorry, but I have a hundred games where I don't have to constantly sweat suffocating or geting slaughtered by invisible foes. The only thing that could keep me going if I don't have to worry about these things at all.

And on that note...

AngelSoft - I can't enter cheat codes. I pressed L1, R1, X, and Square. In the main game, in the PDF menu, on the title screen, everywhere I possibly could. Nothing.

Have you actually gotten cheats to work? Am I doing something wrong? They haven't been removed, have they? Because I tell you right now, this is the only thing that will possibly bring me back.

(P.S. I looked up maps on the Wiki, and I learned that there used to be in-game maps but the developers took them out. And now I'm pretty upset because if I'd known about this beforehand, I wouldn't have wasted five cents on this game. This is EXACTLY what ruined Minecraft, the programmers getting locked into the degenerate mentality, taking out every single thing even remotely fun thing in the game in an effort to make it harder and harder and harder. I have the feeling that if WWF Royal Rumble was released today, the simple, intuitive grapple meter would've been yanked after one month, and by 3.0 every CPU opponent would move at triple speed and do 500% damage. )
Old 03-18-2019, 03:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...but I don't feel like I've dodged a bullet, as he always been up front about what he is, whereas for Subnautica...I can't say the same.
You don't like the game; that's fair. You gave it a chance, and it's not for you--also perfectly fair. Not everyone is going to like any particular game, or even genre of game, and that's okay.

I am, however, going to take issue with the quoted bit: you've implied a couple of times now that there was some sort of bait-and-switch with Subnautica, and that is not fair. The game is exactly what it says on the tin: a survival game. The descriptions on the game's Steam page says:
Quote:
Descend into the depths of an alien underwater world filled with wonder and peril. Craft equipment, pilot submarines and out-smart wildlife to explore lush coral reefs, volcanoes, cave systems, and more - all while trying to survive.
Peril. Outsmarting the wildlife. Trying to survive. It's a survival game; there will be resource-gathering, crafting, and dangerous creatures. There will be hunger, thirst, and other survival requirements. The trailers show exploding ships and giant roaring monsters attacking minisubs.

The devs provided honest information about what kind of game it is. If you didn't review the information, or disregarded it, I don't see how that's their fault. It's unfair to lash out at them because you bought a game in a genre that doesn't suit you.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You don't like the game; that's fair. You gave it a chance, and it's not for you--also perfectly fair. Not everyone is going to like any particular game, or even genre of game, and that's okay.

I am, however, going to take issue with the quoted bit: you've implied a couple of times now that there was some sort of bait-and-switch with Subnautica, and that is not fair. The game is exactly what it says on the tin: a survival game.
Yup. For the life of me I can't figure out what DKW is upset by, except that a lot of folks here find the game crazy fun, and he doesn't.

I'm almost done with my second play-through. And I'm pretty convinced creatures mess with the Seamoth even when it's abandoned. I parked mine in the bulb zone near an electric eel, while I searched for an extremely rare plant. Spent about an hour in the search before giving up and using the Wiki to find it. While I was swimming around, I left the Seamoth for about ten minutes, and when I came back, its health had gone from about 85% to about 25%. The only reason that'd happen that I can think of is that the electric eel was messing with it.

I dreamed about Subnautica last night. I'd done the last mission, and was leaving the planet--and that meant leaving the Prawn Suit. So I spent some time comforting the Prawn suit, saying my goodbyes. I reminded it how to get back to the base, and how to change its batteries. I told it how to make the modification that would let it recharge energy from thermal vents, and described the peaceful life it could have if it built this mod for itself and descended to the volcanic zone. And then, with a great deal of pathos, ascended to my rocket and the stars.

I think I like this game more than DKW does .
Old 03-18-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Random Subnautica safety tip: Don't exit your Seamoth while moving at full speed. It doesn't stop instantly, and it's embarrassing to get run over by your own sub.
Been there. Done that. In a Moon Pool.

I exited at the perfect moment to get crushed by the thing as the arms came down to grab it.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
My Seamoth once vanished but was still showing up with a beacon. Iíd gone underground where all the crabsnakes were, got out, swam around, and went back. It seemed like it was under the rock?

Turns out thatís a known (and very common) bug.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/26471...1698704127112/

I found a cheat that lowers the sea floor by 50m and it reappeared! I got in, swam it back to base, saved and restarted the game. Everything went back to normal and I still had my pimped-out Seamoth.
I once beached my Seamoth. There's a reason they call it a "Sea" Moth. I couldn't even free it with the repulsion cannon.

So I consoled the sand away.

I also once lost a beacon to the sand. I left it on top of the sand, but the game glitched at some point and buried it under the sand.

So I consoled the sand away for that as well.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm almost done with my second play-through. And I'm pretty convinced creatures mess with the Seamoth even when it's abandoned. I parked mine in the bulb zone near an electric eel, while I searched for an extremely rare plant. Spent about an hour in the search before giving up and using the Wiki to find it. While I was swimming around, I left the Seamoth for about ten minutes, and when I came back, its health had gone from about 85% to about 25%. The only reason that'd happen that I can think of is that the electric eel was messing with it.
I remember that search. I think I later discovered that there's one in a very plot-convenient location, but not until I had found one the hard way and cultivated a garden of them, just in case. I put seeds for it in my time capsule with an oblique hint that gardening was rewarding.

As to the ampeels, I think they damage things just by being nearby. I released one that I hatched, and it zapped things it should not have been hostile to. I could be mistaken, though.
Quote:
I dreamed about Subnautica last night.
Okay, I concede that you probably like Subnautica more than I do.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This happened to me too! It was on the FLoating Island, and I thought I was being really clever by bringing the Seamoth practically up on the beach. It's like a real explorer would do, I thought!

I justified the resulting loss of the Seamoth by imagining the immense tide that had washed tons of sand over my vehicle, permanently burying it, and went off to build a replacement .
Old 03-18-2019, 02:41 PM

I’d have accepted the loss, and I lost my first Seamoth to a Reaper and had to build a second, except for two reasons. One, I imagine I’d have this phantom Seamoth beacon taunting me forever (I know I could hide it from my HUD but it would still be there in my list of beacons, teasing me). And two, I had just given it all the upgrades I wanted, and upgrading a new one from scratch would be frustrating. So I used a cheat to make it reappear (which took a lot of time to get right) and all was well.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
One, I imagine I’d have this phantom Seamoth beacon taunting me forever (I know I could hide it from my HUD but it would still be there in my list of beacons, teasing me).
I had an actual beacon get lost in a cave on the large island. I had put it in the cave complex, and at some point was never able to find it again. I don't know if I'm just not seeing it, or if it glitched underground, but since the caves corkscrew around themselves and the beacons have a fairly low precision, I don't think I'm ever going to find it. (They're great for marking places to travel to--not so much for finding them once you're there. With ships, the precision matters little because it's hard to lose a ship. With the small hand-crafted beacons, you get close to them and the beacon marker disappears so pinpoint accuracy is out, particularly when it could be above or below you, and the things are small enough that they blend in with the scenery fairly well.)

So I turned the beacon off in the beacon manager, but it will always be in the list. Sitting there. Taunting me.

Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 03-19-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Note: Tried the game(which I got free back when it went free awhile ago) on my 2012 and the title screen came up, but it crashed.

Guess not.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Note: Tried the game(which I got free back when it went free awhile ago) on my 2012 and the title screen came up, but it crashed.

Guess not.
Heh. Not surprising. If you ever get a machine worth playing it, it's worth giving it another shot!

Finally finished my second play-through. Now waiting on tenterhooks for Below Zero (why isn't it named SubZero?) to be far enough along to be worth getting--or to go on sale.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 03-19-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:11 PM

I decided to start up a hardcore game and work off of just the information available in-game. I'm just about to head to the Aurora. I'll tell Sammy the Safety Reaper, "Hello!" as I fly by.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
I decided to start up a hardcore game and work off of just the information available in-game. I'm just about to head to the Aurora. I'll tell Sammy the Safety Reaper, "Hello!" as I fly by.
Tell him that I wished him a knife day.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:17 AM

I hope my Seamoth gave Sammy diarrhea.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:12 PM

Aaaaaaaaaand I died. To the simplest mechanic in the game, one you learn to account for literally in the first seconds on 4546B - I drowned. Not because of a mesmer, or losing a seamoth to a reaper too deep to make the surface, or I got lost. Because I got greedy and thought I had enough time to grab one last chunk of lithium in the lost river before heading back to my base. Full black screen only a couple seconds from Reaper Hauler.

Having the knowledge of the game before starting definitely helped. I knew, generally, where to find wrecks, caves, fragments, and how to start up a farm for easy food/water. A couple things caught me and almost did me in:
SPOILER:
the reaper on the north side of the island and the ghost in the grand reef,
just because I forgot they haunted those areas. Both gave Reaper Bait a couple love taps and went on their way (they won't do enough damage to destroy a full health Seamoth as long as you don't bail).

All in all, it was a great experience, with just a little self-induced stress knowing "this is my one shot". Not so great to die to being an idiot, though.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:12 PM

Okay, just to clarify, I'm not "lashing out" at the devs, or Steam, or marketers or advertisers or whatever. I don't have any issue with them. Their job is to sell the game, and as such you can't take their words at 100% face value. I understand that. My issue is that this is an incredibly dangerous and forbidding-looking word that normally I don't come within ten miles of, and I was convinced to drop $30 on it because it had a mode where it's impossible to die. In my experience, when a game has any kind of mercy/relaxed/beginner mode or option, that means the programmers made a conscious choice to not be harsh, not be sadistic, not do that bad dungeon master sadistic-grin-after-rolling-for-a-saving-throw BS. Think Dance Dance Revolution and the entire Bemani line in general, most of the Lego games, the later Super Mario Bros. games, and to a lesser extent Time Crisis 4 (that one was by Namco, which used to be the gold standard for tear-your-spine-out-and-slash-your-throat-with-it gameplay).

And then I turn out that the purpose of Creative is...to make a whole bunch of stuff. That's it. Throw together the wildest, most elaborate underground complex imaginable and...admire it. That's all you can do in it. (And it's not even as good as Minecraft's due to building restrictions and the inability to terraform.)

So how about the next step up, Freedom? Constantly running out of air, can barely find anything, get attacked out of nowhere. Over and over, no respite. Where's the scanner? Where are all the parts I need to salvage? If this game was truly beginner-friendly, for the next step up there'd be resources everywhere, it would take at least ten minutes to drown, enemies would be slow and do minimal damage, and there'd be an auto-healing of some kind (hey, if it's good enough for Asssassin's Creed...). If the easiest difficulty makes it impossible to get killed, the second-easiest difficulty should make it really, really hard to get killed. Instead I immediately get thrown headfirst into a literal death zone where I have to surface every 30 damn seconds and I don't know where anything is and I can't even see the piranha that just bit a chunk out of my calf. Nothing but setbacks and obstacles and complications and agony at every turn.

And I paid full price for it. I materially supported a methodology that I despise. It's not the devs' fault. Maybe it's nobody's fault but mine. Still hurts. A lot.

(Feel exactly the same way about Minecraft, so this isn't anything new.)

Does anyone know how to get the cheat codes working on the PS4 version?
Old 03-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

You didn't like it. Got it.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:15 PM

Dude, maybe you just shouldn't pay video games.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Dude, maybe you just shouldn't pay video games.
I was gonna say...I generally SUCK at video games, and Subnautica is no exception. Yet, I am having a pretty successful and enjoyable time, though I have decided to take a break now that things are getting a little less casual and more dangerous and stressful.

DKW It's too bad that your experience with Subnautica isn't what you expected. But please take my advice...my first couple starts didn't go well, and looking back at my save files they are as short as 30 minutes and no longer than 90 minutes long. I was beginning to have the same thoughts you had, even though I got my copy for free. Thought that maybe this game just wasn't up my alley. My third try, which was on survival, is now well over 30 hours.

When you give it another shot, what you MUST NOT do is cast about frantically trying to, for lack of a better phrase at the moment, find the game.

The game is there, and it will come to you.

If you got bit in the ass right away and ran out of air, that was the game telling you that at this point, you're biting off too much. This game is absolutely brilliant in that respect. It forces you to slow down, explore, learn the game, and then widen your experience from there.

So my advice is, start a new game. Choose 'Freedom' if you want, hunger and thirst can be grindy if you don't like that. Oxygen, though, is vital to the game experience. The oxygen you start with doesn't seem like much, but it gives you plenty of time to swim around, enjoy the scenery, and gather enough resources to construct a better oxygen tank. And fins, so you can move faster and accomplish more. And while you're at it, you'll learn about the different biomes close to the pod and know where you can safely go, and where you need to be more careful. And a little about where to find what resources and add some info and blueprints to your data by scanning everything. And I mean everything. I hated that idea at first, but it's actually pretty enjoyable even when scanning doesn't add anything to your building options. Remember, the game is about being on an alien planet...if you try to role-play it, of course you're going to want to learn everything you can about this place.

Also, I have no shame at admitting I checked out some non-spoilery non-cheatery beginner videos after my first couple tries. They didn't give away much, and offered some good tips on the mechanics of the game and things you can do at the beginning to start off a little smoother. I recommend checking those out. Subnautica doesn't take you by the hand and lead you around, but from I've seen one of the common complaints is that it leave a little too much unsaid. Things like how to use the fabricator, blueprints, etc. They're not hard to figure out, but it seems like something you should know without question.

Do us a favor...start another game. Commit to a couple hours of taking your time and just experiencing the game. Try to role-play it; really put yourself in the mindset. Forget your first playthrough, and experience your emergence from the hatch as if you really did just eject from a doomed spaceship. Construct a few things that make your life in the water a bit easier.

In other words, I guess, chill out and stop trying to beat the game from the beginning. The way you post is not unfamiliar with my train of thought sometimes, and I feel ya. You'll be amazed at how much the game has to offer in just the environs surrounding the pod once you give yourself a chance to become immersed (no pun intended) in the game.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do us a favor...start another game.
I mean, maybe? But I'm detecting a pretty strong note of Not Ever Going To Like This Game. I'd consider it a favor if he just doesn't post another 1,000 word essay on how betrayed he feels by it.

It's okay if it's not his thing. Fortnite isn't mine. I don't spend much time telling its fans how frustrating I find it.

Edit: I can't resist saying, though, that the scanner room is a mid-to-late-game construction, and if it's not offered early on, there's a reason for that.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 03-24-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Oy vey. I can't resist. I'ma take this bit by bit.
Quote:
So how about the next step up, Freedom? Constantly running out of air,
You're going too deep for your equipment. Stick to the shallows.
Quote:
can barely find anything,
There are limestone outcroppings everywhere in the shallows. Break 'em.
Quote:
get attacked out of nowhere.
You're going too deep. Stick to the shallows.
Quote:
Over and over, no respite.
Quote:
Where's the scanner?
You build it, using the recipe you start the game with, and the stuff you find in the shallows
Quote:
Where are all the parts I need to salvage?
In the shallows. You can venture into the kelp forest if you're feeling brave, and make some rubber, but don't go deep.
Quote:
If this game was truly beginner-friendly, for the next step up there'd be resources everywhere,
There are.
Quote:
it would take at least ten minutes to drown,
What a strange complaint. Stick to the shallows.
Quote:
enemies would be slow and do minimal damage,
Enemies are slow and do minimal damage in the shallows.
Quote:
and there'd be an auto-healing of some kind (hey, if it's good enough for Asssassin's Creed...).
There is auto-healing. It's slow. There's also infinitely-regenerating medikits in your starting location.
Quote:
If the easiest difficulty makes it impossible to get killed, the second-easiest difficulty should make it really, really hard to get killed.
It is really, really hard to get killed. In the shallows. Which is where you should stick, until you've explored it fully.
Quote:
Instead I immediately get thrown headfirst into a literal death zone where I have to surface every 30 damn seconds
The shallows is a literal death zone in much the same way that your municipal swimming pool is a literal death zone.
Quote:
and I don't know where anything is
Look around. Break limestone outcroppings.
Quote:
and I can't even see the piranha that just bit a chunk out of my calf.
There are no piranhas, or anything similar. Not in the shallows. The worst enemy you face in the shallows is farting manatees.
Quote:
Nothing but setbacks and obstacles and complications and agony at every turn.
This is not true, in the shallows.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 03-24-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Okay, just to clarify, I'm not "lashing out" at the devs, or Steam, or marketers or advertisers or whatever. I don't have any issue with them. Their job is to sell the game, and as such you can't take their words at 100% face value
And yet, you are still implying that they somehow deceived you. I just checked, and neither the Steam page nor Unknown World's homepage even mention Creative mode. They're all about peril and survival and the clock ticking. I would normally let it go, because I understand that you're just annoyed at the game, but it bothers me because the Subnautica devs are actually the single most open and honest dev team I've ever seen. They even opened their Trello board--where development tasks and bug fixes are tracked--for public viewing, so that anyone interested could see exactly what they were doing at any time.

Quote:
And then I turn out that the purpose of Creative is...to make a whole bunch of stuff. That's it. Throw together the wildest, most elaborate underground complex imaginable and...admire it. That's all you can do in it.
Well, yes. It's "Creative Mode". It's for creating things without having to worry about survival, just like Minecraft's Creative Mode. If it were "Can't die, just follow the story mode", I'd expect it to be called something like "Story Mode". (That wouldn't be a bad thing for it to have, necessarily, but Creative Mode isn't it.)

Quote:
So how about the next step up, Freedom? Constantly running out of air, can barely find anything, get attacked out of nowhere. Over and over, no respite. Where's the scanner? Where are all the parts I need to salvage? If this game was truly beginner-friendly, for the next step up there'd be resources everywhere, it would take at least ten minutes to drown, enemies would be slow and do minimal damage, and there'd be an auto-healing of some kind (hey, if it's good enough for Asssassin's Creed...).
The scanner is the first tool in your blueprints when you start the game, and the first thing in the tools section on the fabricator. I just started a new game to verify it. It requires a piece of titanium and a battery, and if you scroll up to the battery, you see that it takes a piece of copper ore and two acid mushrooms (which it shows you a picture of). All of this can be obtained within about a 30-second swim from the lifepod.

I've been sugar-coating this, because you were clearly operating outside of your comfort zone and didn't have many points of reference, but the truth is that, as survival games go, Subnautica is amazingly gentle. I could list numerous ways, but I will leave it at this: it gives you unlimited free healing items in your free, 100% safe starting base. It's okay to not like survival games; you don't have to exaggerate the difficulty to justify yourself.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I mean, maybe? But I'm detecting a pretty strong note of Not Ever Going To Like This Game.
It's such a mystery, though. I really can't figure out what kind of game that DKW is experiencing. For me, Subnautica is such a relaxing experience that I fire it up whenever I want to putter around in a low-stress environment. Aside from games with no threat element whatsoever, I can't think of a less stressful game. So DKW's description of the whole thing as a "literal death zone" is completely foreign. It's like there's some other, similar game with the same name but with the difficulty cranked up 100x.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
It's such a mystery, though. I really can't figure out what kind of game that DKW is experiencing. For me, Subnautica is such a relaxing experience that I fire it up whenever I want to putter around in a low-stress environment. Aside from games with no threat element whatsoever, I can't think of a less stressful game. So DKW's description of the whole thing as a "literal death zone" is completely foreign. It's like there's some other, similar game with the same name but with the difficulty cranked up 100x.
I'm imagining climbing the ladder in the escape pod, jumping off toward the wreck, and swimming in a straight line, screaming all the while, until you die.

For eternity.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I'm imagining climbing the ladder in the escape pod, jumping off toward the wreck, and swimming in a straight line, screaming all the while, until you die.

For eternity.
Is there a Kickstarter going for this righf now?? Cuz I'm a pretty casual gamer, but that sounds SCHAWEEEEET and I'm IN!
Old 03-24-2019, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There are no piranhas, or anything similar. Not in the shallows. The worst enemy you face in the shallows is farting manatees.
I disagree. Crashfish are more dangerous than gasopods. Pretty low bar to clear, though.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
I disagree. Crashfish are more dangerous than gasopods. Pretty low bar to clear, though.
Agreed, and I think those were what are freaking DKW out (first time I got hit by one of those it kind of freaked me out as well.)

However, they're a kamikaze nuisance and that's it. There are two of them in one of the caves in the safe shallows, IIRC, and I think a third in another cave in the safe shallows. They protect the sulfur deposits. Once they die, you can get the sulfur. Also, in the beginning, you'll be unlikely to trigger both in the cave because you only have so much oxygen before you need to surface. But even if you trigger both in one go, they do less than half your full damage. Which means you won't die from them. And the unlimited medkits regenerate faster than they do and that's even if you ignore the very slow healing you do without medkits, so you really can't die in safe shallows. Plus, if you're careful, you can slowly approach the sulfur deposit and when you trigger them swim away very quickly. If you do it right, they will explode without even making contact with you.

The only thing that remotely seems to have a hurry up factor is when a certain timer starts. You want to go to that location to get a huge clue as to what happened to get you into your predicament. But you really do have plenty of time to the point that you could swim there on top of the water with no upgrades whatsoever. (I used a seaglide myself.) If you don't have a ship, don't go below the water, though, because you will be going through some areas with dangerous creatures, but they'll leave you alone if you stay on top.

Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 03-24-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
Agreed, and I think those were what are freaking DKW out (first time I got hit by one of those it kind of freaked me out as well.)

However, they're a kamikaze nuisance and that's it. There are two of them in one of the caves in the safe shallows, IIRC, and I think a third in another cave in the safe shallows.
Yes, there aren't enough of them in one place in Safe Shallows to kill you, if you keep your health topped off. The noise they make does tend to be kind of panic-inducing, though, if you're inclined to panic. Its pitch and volume changes tell your gut that something is coming your way fast, and it's probably bad news.

They may be more of an actual threat in Below Zero, at least for now, as there are more of them in one place, and that place has other predators in it that can hurt you. However, you can easily have a seaglide before you encounter them; that makes you fast enough to avoid most of the damage.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Okay, just to clarify, I'm not "lashing out" at the devs, or Steam, or marketers or advertisers or whatever. I don't have any issue with them. Their job is to sell the game, and as such you can't take their words at 100% face value. I understand that. My issue is that this is an incredibly dangerous and forbidding-looking word that normally I don't come within ten miles of, and I was convinced to drop $30 on it because it had a mode where it's impossible to die. In my experience, when a game has any kind of mercy/relaxed/beginner mode or option, that means the programmers made a conscious choice to not be harsh, not be sadistic, not do that bad dungeon master sadistic-grin-after-rolling-for-a-saving-throw BS. Think Dance Dance Revolution and the entire Bemani line in general, most of the Lego games, the later Super Mario Bros. games, and to a lesser extent Time Crisis 4 (that one was by Namco, which used to be the gold standard for tear-your-spine-out-and-slash-your-throat-with-it gameplay).

And then I turn out that the purpose of Creative is...to make a whole bunch of stuff. That's it. Throw together the wildest, most elaborate underground complex imaginable and...admire it. That's all you can do in it. (And it's not even as good as Minecraft's due to building restrictions and the inability to terraform.)

So how about the next step up, Freedom? Constantly running out of air, can barely find anything, get attacked out of nowhere. Over and over, no respite. Where's the scanner? Where are all the parts I need to salvage? If this game was truly beginner-friendly, for the next step up there'd be resources everywhere, it would take at least ten minutes to drown, enemies would be slow and do minimal damage, and there'd be an auto-healing of some kind (hey, if it's good enough for Asssassin's Creed...). If the easiest difficulty makes it impossible to get killed, the second-easiest difficulty should make it really, really hard to get killed. Instead I immediately get thrown headfirst into a literal death zone where I have to surface every 30 damn seconds and I don't know where anything is and I can't even see the piranha that just bit a chunk out of my calf. Nothing but setbacks and obstacles and complications and agony at every turn.

And I paid full price for it. I materially supported a methodology that I despise. It's not the devs' fault. Maybe it's nobody's fault but mine. Still hurts. A lot.

(Feel exactly the same way about Minecraft, so this isn't anything new.)

Does anyone know how to get the cheat codes working on the PS4 version?
This is the third time you've decided to post about HOW BAD THIS GAME IS AND OMG IT'S SO DIFFICULT AND SCARY AND THIS IS HORRIBLE, including AFTER saying there's no way you can play this game AND people explaining that, no matter how easy the average gamer finds it, this game most obviously is NOT for you.

Do you have anything to actually add besides incessant whinging?
Old 03-25-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Oy vey. I can't resist. I'ma take this bit by bit.

You're going too deep for your equipment. Stick to the shallows.

There are limestone outcroppings everywhere in the shallows. Break 'em.

You build it, using the recipe you start the game with, and the stuff you find in the shallows

In the shallows. You can venture into the kelp forest if you're feeling brave, and make some rubber, but don't go deep.

There are.

What a strange complaint. Stick to the shallows.

Enemies are slow and do minimal damage in the shallows.

There is auto-healing. It's slow. There's also infinitely-regenerating medikits in your starting location.

It is really, really hard to get killed. In the shallows. Which is where you should stick, until you've explored it fully.

The shallows is a literal death zone in much the same way that your municipal swimming pool is a literal death zone.

Look around. Break limestone outcroppings.

This is not true, in the shallows.
In the shallow, the sha-a-llow
In the sha-a-a-a-a-a-a-llow
Old 03-31-2019, 01:41 PM

Hardcore run 2.0 is finished, with resounding success. Just over twelve hours in,

SPOILER:
I launched from the surface in Neptune,

ending the tyranny that is 4546B. I forgot how freaky the first interactions with the sea emperor were, especially as I got the first one as I was slinking past beasties in the Lost River. All told, the only significant issue (besides a few hours wandering around trying to find the entrance to the jellyshroom caves) was forgetting to build a PRAWN before heading to the Lava Lakes for drilling ion cubes. Granted, that led to Reaper Rodeo fun.

Sammy says hi, as do Nemo and Mabel. Eileen and Louie both waved from a distance, so I think we're friends. Fireballs are sea dragon kisses, right?
Old 03-31-2019, 01:47 PM

With that run, I think I'm going to take a break again and wait for Below Zero to drop. I've heard a lot of good things so far, so I hope it doesn't suffer from sequel letdown.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:00 AM

Chisquirrel - Well, not at the moment, but I would like to once again humbly request a method of making the cheats work. Here's the link again. Where exactly do I have to press those four buttons to make the menu pop up?
Old 04-06-2019, 03:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Where exactly do I have to press those four buttons to make the menu pop up?
I'm not sure what system you're playing on, so I'll address PC and consoles.

PC: Press the F3 key. This will pop up a panel in the game with some game information in it. At the top of this panel is a checkbox for "Disable Console". Uncheck that, then press F3 again to close the panel. Once you have done that, pressing the ~ or Enter keys should bring up a text box in the bottom left that you can type the commands into. (You can do this at any time, but obviously it's better to do so in a secure, air-filled space the first time, at least.)

I just verified that this works on PC.

Xbox and PS4: I believe that the command console is not accessible at all on the current Xbox and PS4 builds. Scuttlebutt suggests this is because the console companies don't like players having access to development commands for security reasons, but I suspect that they also don't like it because they don't want to deal with achievement issues related to command use.

If the button combos on the linked site don't bring up the command interface on your system, then you probably don't have access to it.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:22 AM

Cheats were removed for consoles at launch.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Cheats were removed for consoles at launch.
Update: As of 1.0.0.34, dev menu and commands are back on consoles. (Also bladderfish are breeding again, so you don't have to constantly munch on seaweed and eyeyes.) Patch notes here: https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/