Old 01-16-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
The list of actors that work with people that were born after they started acting is extremely long.
Nice combination of user name and post. But I was about to make the same point (except calling them entertainers).
Old 01-23-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Not quite the same, but in Sunday's AFC championship game, one of the starting quarterbacks will be the same age as the other's mother.
So, who won? Mama's boy, or Mama's boy toy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
And, from the other end, Tendulkar played that game against Imran Khan, whose debut in Jun 1971 was 2 years before Tendulkar was born.
Another player called Waqar Younis, born Nov 16 1971, also made his debut for Pakistan in the same game.

Of course, this is interesting comparison, since all three men were teenage prodigies.
Imras was 18, Waqar was the same age and Sachin was 16!

Imran played till he was 40. In his last game, the 1992 WC Final, he played with some young un's, not sure if they were born after his debut.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:12 PM

Larry Holmes had gone 20-0 when Maurice Harris was born in February of ‘76, and spent a good long stretch as the heavyweight champ before Harris went pro in turn, and ultimately outpunched Harris at Madison Square Garden in July of ‘97.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman_southpaw View Post
Nolan Ryan pitched until he was 46, and in his last season (1993) about one-third of all the players who appeared in the majors that year weren't born yet when he made his debut in September 1966. That includes Robin Ventura (b. 1967), meaning that Ryan had a famous fight with someone who wasn't born yet when he first pitched in the majors.
An epic moment. Thanks for the link. Ryan went to town on Ventura and got him but good, first with the beanball and then with 4 punches to Ventura‘s head and a 5th punch to the lip.

gImages:
https://goo.gl/veiw7E, Ryan’s autographed photo of landing punches
https://goo.gl/CqSts9, ball autographed by both Ryan and Ventura dated 8/4/1993, fight day
https://goo.gl/Gs1SDd, Bo Jackson comes to Nolan Ryan’s rescue

Said Ryan about Bo Jackson,
Quote:
All I remember is that I couldn’t breathe,” says Ryan. “I thought I was going to black out and die, when all of a sudden I see two big arms tossing bodies off of me. It was [Chicago’s] Bo Jackson. He had come to my rescue, and I’m awful glad he did, because I was about to pass out. I called him that night and thanked him.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:48 PM

In Wilfred Rhodes' last Test, teammate Bill Voce was born 10 years after Rhodes' debut (1899 -> 1909)
Old 01-30-2019, 11:16 PM

Mario Lemieux played his last season with current Penguin captain, Sidney Crosby. (Occassionally on the same line).
Lemieux only played 26 games that year though -- he retired for the final time due to heart problems.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:40 AM

Pretty cool (yesterday!) Bruins rookie Trent Frederic making his NHL debut on a line with his idol David Backes. Link shows a photo of them from twelve years ago.

https://www.nhl.com/news/trent-frede...es/c-304301446
Old 01-31-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Minnie Mińoso had two games with the White Sox in 1980; of all the playing staff that season, only Wayne Nordhagen and Ed Farmer were alive when he made his MLB debut.

If we include the Negro Leagues as "highest level", Satchel Paige started his career in 1927 and finished three innings in '65.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-31-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

On October 30, 2006, Julio Franco played third base for the NY Mets. Franco had played his first game on April 23, 1982.

Anderson Hernandez played shortstop next to him. He was born October 30, 1982.

In addition, the last time Franco had played third base was also before Hernandez was born.

Lastings Milledge (born 1985) also appeared in that game.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 01-31-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
It's common in pro wrestling--Johnny Valentine teamed with his son, Greg Valentine (though Greg was billed as Johnny's brother so as to kayfabe Johnny's age). Dusty Rhodes teamed with his son Dustin, Bill Watts was the booker when his son, Eric, worked for WCW, Nick Patrick wrestled as Assassin #3 teaming with his father, Jody Hamilton as Assassin #1, Jake Roberts and Sam Houston both worked under their father, Grizzly Smith in Mid-South, Brian Lawler worked with his dad Jerry Lawler, Fritz Von Erich teamed with various combinations of his sons, Tommy Gilbert teamed with his son Eddie, etc....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
The list of actors that work with people that were born after they started acting is extremely long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Nice combination of user name and post. But I was about to make the same point (except calling them entertainers).
First, I was deciding whether to mention professional wrestlers when I came across the above.
Second, while it's not a real sport, I think it's insulting to refer to them as anything other then professional athletes. And while they don't actually compete against each other in the ring, the need to perform at the highest level to keep their position was, until recently, essential.
A 40 year old ice skater trying out for "Jurassic Park on Ice" against a 20 year old ice skater is a professional athlete competing against another, just not in a sport.

Just my. $0.02 - DESK
Old 02-10-2019, 10:54 PM

Brooks Robinson played for the Baltimore Orioles for 23 years (1955 - 1977), still the longest career for a single team in the MLB. Looking at a list of the youngest players in each league shows that, from 1973 through 1977, six out of eight of the youngest players in each league were born after he broke into the MLB. Granted, the Orioles did not play any regular season games against the NL in that time, but he did play against Robin Yount (b. Sept 1955) and Alan Trammell (b. Feb 1960). I'm sure there are others, but those two are probably the best known of the group.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:18 PM

It doesn’t quite fit the thread, but I figured this rated a bump anyway:

Quote:
The Swiss moved into his fifth Miami final with ease on Friday night, beating #NextGenATP Canadian Denis Shapovalov 6-2, 6-4. Federer hasn't dropped a set since his tournament opener against Moldovan Radu Albot. But the 37-year-old's semi-final against the 18-year-old Shapovalov wasn't just any other match, Federer admitted. He feels a bit more amped when facing members of the #NextGenATP.

“I told my daughters before I walked out tonight that he wasn't even born yet when I actually played on the pro tour already,” said Federer, who turned pro in 1998, one year before Shapovalov was, in fact, born. “So they're like, 'What? Hold on a second.' They did the calculations. 'So this guy's really young?' I was like, 'Yeah, I'm really old.' But it's all good. It definitely gives me an extra pep. No doubt about it.”
Old 03-29-2019, 09:53 PM

I think Al Oerter must have qualified. He won his first Olympic gold medal at the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne Australia. He continued to compete, eventually earning 4 gold medal in consecutive Olympic Games, and tried out for the 1980 US Olympic team, finishing 4th. The bronze medal that year was won by a Cuban born in 1957. It's highly likely Oerter competed against others in the Olympic trials who were born after his 1956 gold medal.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterlifethroughchemistry View Post
Brooks Robinson played for the Baltimore Orioles for 23 years (1955 - 1977), still the longest career for a single team in the MLB. Looking at a list of the youngest players in each league shows that, from 1973 through 1977, six out of eight of the youngest players in each league were born after he broke into the MLB. Granted, the Orioles did not play any regular season games against the NL in that time, but he did play against Robin Yount (b. Sept 1955) and Alan Trammell (b. Feb 1960). I'm sure there are others, but those two are probably the best known of the group.
Trammell was actually born in 1958. A brief look at Retrosheet indicates that Robinson's career was in fact over in August '77 before Trammell made his debut in September, so they never played against (let alone alongside) one another. Oh well.

Robinson and Yount did appear in the same game on 7-25-77, and likely in other games before that...Unfortunately, and you can't make this stuff up, Yount was born on September 16, 1955, the day BEFORE Robinson made his big league debut on the seventeenth. One lousy day--
Old 03-30-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I think Al Oerter must have qualified. He won his first Olympic gold medal at the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne Australia. He continued to compete, eventually earning 4 gold medal in consecutive Olympic Games, and tried out for the 1980 US Olympic team, finishing 4th. The bronze medal that year was won by a Cuban born in 1957. It's highly likely Oerter competed against others in the Olympic trials who were born after his 1956 gold medal.
For Olympians named “Al”, Aladár Gerevich got a team gold medal in Los Angeles in ‘32 and another in Berlin in ‘36 (when he got his first individual medal); and, after WWII, he got another team gold in London in ‘48 (when he won individual gold) and another team gold in Helsinki in ‘52 (when he got an individual silver), and another team gold in Melbourne in ‘56 and another in Rome in ‘60.

And in Rome in ‘60, he defeated various Olympians who were born after he got his first team medal; but also Michael D’Asaro and Emeric Arus and Ion Santo, each of whom was born after Gerevich had fenced his way to an individual medal. (And the individual silver in ‘60 went to young Zoltán Horváth, who was born in ‘37 and beat his teammate Gerevich 5-4 in the semi-finals.)
Old 04-01-2019, 02:20 AM

Football must have so many of these that I can't even be bothered to look.

Keepers often play into their late 30's and it is not unusual to start a first-team career at 17 or 18.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:57 AM

Eidur Gudjohnsen came on as a sub for his 1st Iceland cap, replacing his dad, Arnor, in 1996.

not quite fulfilling the request in the OP but interesting, kinda
Old 04-01-2019, 07:57 AM

Surely Cal Ripken Jr must qualify - started in the minors in 1978 out of high school, finished in 2001. Looking at the 2001 Orioles roster, Tim Raines was born in 1979.

ETA: Bah - just remembered the "highest level" qualifier. Ripken didn't hit the majors until 1981.

Last edited by Gyrate; 04-01-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:18 AM

Rodger Federer is 37 years old, and he was in the top ten by the age of 19, I believe. He just played in and won the Miami Open yesterday and, in that tournament, was an up and coming 18-year old named Felix Auger Aliassime who is already ranked 33rd in the world.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Rodger Federer is 37 years old, and he was in the top ten by the age of 19, I believe. He just played in and won the Miami Open yesterday and, in that tournament, was an up and coming 18-year old named Felix Auger Aliassime who is already ranked 33rd in the world.
Actually no, he wasn't top ten until he was nearly 21 I think. A late starter. Murray, Djokovic and Nadal all broke the top ten at an earlier age. But yes, he was playing pro tennis before Allassime was born
Old 04-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upend View Post
Eidur Gudjohnsen came on as a sub for his 1st Iceland cap, replacing his dad, Arnor, in 1996.

not quite fulfilling the request in the OP but interesting, kinda
Wait, his name was “Gudjohnsen”, but his dad’s name was “Arnor”? Shouldn’t his last name have been “Arnorsson”? I thought Icelandic names were true patronyms.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Wait, his name was “Gudjohnsen”, but his dad’s name was “Arnor”? Shouldn’t his last name have been “Arnorsson”? I thought Icelandic names were true patronyms.
In general yes, but there seem to be a few family names that stick around. Also note that it ends in "sen" instead of "son".

I'm sure I heard the reason for this at some point, but I don't remember anymore.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) met Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Actually no, he wasn't top ten until he was nearly 21 I think. A late starter. Murray, Djokovic and Nadal all broke the top ten at an earlier age. But yes, he was playing pro tennis before Allassime was born
More in keeping with the original post, Federer played against Denis Shapovalov (Currently ranked 20) in the semis, who is 19. He also played against Stefanos Tsitsipas (Currently ranked 8) earlier in the year, who was born the same year Federer began playing as a pro. Given that he continues to be mum about retiring, this is something that will continue to happen.

//i\\
Old 04-02-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.E.S.K.Top668 View Post
First, I was deciding whether to mention professional wrestlers when I came across the above.
Second, while it's not a real sport, I think it's insulting to refer to them as anything other then professional athletes. And while they don't actually compete against each other in the ring, the need to perform at the highest level to keep their position was, until recently, essential.
A 40 year old ice skater trying out for "Jurassic Park on Ice" against a 20 year old ice skater is a professional athlete competing against another, just not in a sport.

Just my. $0.02 - DESK
A 50 year old professional wrestler is absolutely not competing with a 20 year old on how competently they can perform the physical acts. Name recognition and their brand is 90% of it or more. Unless you want to tell me that Vince McMahon technically and athletically outperforms NCAA athletes that are looking for a post college career.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:46 PM

Dara Torres earned her first Olympic gold medal in 1984, and in 2008 got a silver by outswimming bronze medalist Cate Campbell (who was born in 1992).
Old 04-02-2019, 10:02 PM

Some of the guys who played alongside Chris Chelios in the 2008 Stanley Cup were born the year he entered the league.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
American sports would be an actual appearance in NFL, MLB, NBA game etc.
Whacha got against the Japanese baseball major leagues? Ichiro played his first NPB game in 1992 and his last two games (also in Japan, coincidently) this year. I bet at least half his teammates in those two games were born after he started playing.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:13 AM

To my surprise, despite playing more NBA games than anyone else Robert "the Chief" Parish did not play with anyone born after his pro debut (if wikipedia's rosters are accurate). He may have played against one, but I didn't check that since the OP was about teammates.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:08 PM

So close... Toronto Maple Leafs center Patrick Marleau made his debut on October 1st, 1997. His teammate Auston Matthews was born just two weeks before that.
As far as opponents, that's easy. Montreal Canadiens' 18-year-old rookie Jesperi Kotkaniemi made his NHL debut against Marleau at the beginning of this season. Marleau had logged three full sessions before Kotkaniemi was born.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Roger Federer has been pro since 1998. Certainly there are pro players he has played born after that.

The current #3 in the world was born in 1997. Alexander Zverev. Dude literally only remembers Federer being ranked top 10 and now he's up there with him.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Many fathers-sons pairings in MLB: Bobby and Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Sr and Jr, Felipe and Moises Alou, Jose Cruz Sr and Jr, Sandy and Roberto Alomar, and Cecil and Prince Fielder, to name only a few.
The Sandy Alomar that played with Roberto was his brother. Sandy Alomar Sr. retired about ten years before Roberto made it in the big leagues.