Old 04-15-2019, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
I wonder if this one off farewell performance (local sports radio says he should retire as hes on top ) or a comeback ...but it's enough that we'll hear about it for the next 5 years even if he's in 67th place at the world putt-putt garage tour invitational
What is it specifically that you don't like about him?
Old 04-15-2019, 02:31 PM

I am sure Tiger will go on for at least several years, trying to beat Nicklaus's 18. Tom Watson almost won a major at the age of 59 so Tiger still has some time.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Woods has been a schmuck at times, but I think he's paid his debt to society.
You sure? I don't think he can ever repay us. After all we've done for him, what has he ever done for us, other than providing 25 years of thrilling entertainment?

Last edited by TonySinclair; 04-17-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Ben Hogan would have never even been able to imagine the overall tour strength and skill level that exists today. Woods had to defeat a hoard of young, strong, fabulous golfers to win that tournament. At one point on the back nine yesterday, there were no less than 7 golfers at or within one stroke of the lead, and that included Brooks Koepka, the number one player in the world who won two majors and the C.J. Cup this past year, and is the new Darth Vadar of the tour.
Ben Hogan almost died in his car accident. His physical incapacity was far worse than Tiger's. Trust me on this, while Tiger's win is a great example of overcoming physical incapacity, it's not even close to what Ben Hogan managed. And, let's keep in mind that Hogan won six of his nine majors after the accident. Let's see what Woods actually accomplishes over the rest of his career before anointing him as the greatest comeback story of golf.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Ben Hogan almost died in his car accident. His physical incapacity was far worse than Tiger's. Trust me on this, while Tiger's win is a great example of overcoming physical incapacity, it's not even close to what Ben Hogan managed. And, let's keep in mind that Hogan won six of his nine majors after the accident.
Also keep in mind that Hogan played an average of less than two majors a year after his accident. He could have played the British Open every year, but it was just a historical curiosity then, not worth the time and expense it entailed, so he only played it once in his life. He only played the PGA three times after his accident, because the match play format it used through most of the 1950's required the winner to play 36 holes a day for several consecutive days, and his legs simply couldn't endure that. The PGA didn't change to stroke play until 1958, when Hogan was 46 years old.