Old 04-25-2019, 09:23 PM

I feel like the Bengals got a great pick situation with the Jonah Williams pick.

The fact that the Stealers clearly jumped in front of the Bengals at 10 and stole their first choice LB Devin White (and LB is a HUGE position of need for the Bengalis) is lost on nobody. We did it to them with the William Jackson III pick, so c'est la vie on that.

But what I think I liked the most in this post-Marvin Lewis era is the decisiveness in which the pick came in. It's like, they had an actual plan, man. A Marvin-led regime would have panicked in the war room, used the entire clock, made some elaborate trade offers over the phone that Mike Brown would always politely kibosh and they draft John Ross.

OT is the 2nd largest position of need for my team. We whiffed HARD on the Ogbuehi and Fisher picks in Rounds 1-2 in the '16 draft. After letting their best OL Whitworth leave. That was a massive failure letting that guy go. Arguably the most unsung great LT of this generation. And yes, I am serious.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:26 PM

Sad to see both White and Bush gone when the Packers picked. But at least I got to laugh at the Giants for reaching for a questionable QB.

Quick quiz: When the Lions used a top 10 pick on a TE this year, what is the only other team in the last 13 years to use a top 10 pick on a TE? That's right, the Lions. The selected Eric Ebron, a guy they couldn't even find any trade value for and ended up dropping after his rookie contract expired. Go Lions!!!!

Other quick thoughts: I love the Bengal pick, BPA at a position of need is always nice. I'm not a fan at all of the Gary pick by the Packers. And holy hell was Clelin Farrell a reach by the Raiders. Jon Gruden is going to run that franchise into the ground. Which is fine by me. Finally, I'm eager to see which team is going to go with Metcalf as their first round pick. Should be fun.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:30 PM

To add a bit: with both Tillery and Murphy available at 12, the Packers fucked up by taking a workout warrior whose production has never matched his athletic abilities. Maybe they can unlock him, but damn, I'm frustrated with that pick.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Other quick thoughts: I love the Bengal pick, BPA at a position of need is always nice. I'm not a fan at all of the Gary pick by the Packers. And holy hell was Clelin Farrell a reach by the Raiders. Jon Gruden is going to run that franchise into the ground. Which is fine by me. Finally, I'm eager to see which team is going to go with Metcalf as their first round pick. Should be fun.
Thanks for the Bengals props I had massive influence in!

I predict the Colts for Metcalf...they need a good #2 aside TY Hilton. Luck is back like Tiger Woods. Don't sleep on the Colts, especially with their badass LB Darius Leonard.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:50 PM

Edit: Ooops. Devin Bush, not White. So many Devin's, so little time.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:19 PM

I have the abc coverage in the background and it's worthless. There's no video or highlights at all. No real analysis. Just a few guys giving super generic commentary. A few high schoolers could put together a more sophisticated broadcast than this. And this is a primetime broadcast of a big 3 network.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-25-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Why does it take them so damn long between picks?

Hypothesis: The pick that they wanted just got taken.
No, because they must have a depth chart with a few dozen names on it and they can just go down to the next one.

Hypothesis: They are negotiating possible trades.
That doesn't explain the first few picks, especially the very first pick. The order has been known for weeks and they had all of that time to make trades before draft day.

Hypothesis: More time for commercials?
This makes a lot of sense. Did it take this long for a pick before the televised draft was a big deal?
Old 04-25-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
...Other quick thoughts: I love the Bengal pick, BPA at a position of need is always nice..
You and me both. I've said for awhile that I wanted the Texans to trade Clowney to either the Bengals, or some other team with oodles of cap space, and get their high to mid first to get Jonah, or Dillard from Wazzou. The way the Draft shook out, they could have then drafted Sweat with the 23rd pick, as Clowney's replacement.. Instead, they reached for Howard, an athletic project of a tackle from Alabama State. Sigh.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
All I know is that the Seahawks will do something nobody expects. Except probably trade down multiple times for extra picks. Theyíre pretty lean this year after all the deals they did last season.
...And Seattle trades down twice in the first round for a bunch of picks.

I do like the DE they got. He seems solid, and losing Clark they needed that. One analyst at CBS said that Collier reminded him of Michael Bennett which sounds fantastic to me. Heís got a lot of power and could be a disruptive presence in both pass and run plays.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

When the draft grades come out Iím guessing the Packers will get a D. This brings me endless joy.

Last edited by Omniscient; 04-26-2019 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post

No, because they must have a depth chart with a few dozen names on it and they can just go down to the next one.

That doesn't explain the first few picks, especially the very first pick. The order has been known for weeks and they had all of that time to make trades before draft day.

This makes a lot of sense. Did it take this long for a pick before the televised draft was a big deal?
For virtually every pick, the GM and his group are looking for trade opportunities. When the pick comes up, they almost assuredly know who they want, but if you can move a few places down and get the same player AND another pick or two, why not use all the time you have? The draft order may have been known for weeks, but things can change literally minutes before the draft starts - the infamous bong mask video is the first that springs to mind. It's all a chess match between 32 grandmasters. Ok, 29 grandmasters, derps Ryan Pace and Dave Gettleman, and mindreading wizard Bill Belichick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
When the draft grades come out Iím guessing the Packers will get a D. This brings me endless joy.
I have a couple different jokes I thought of. Do you want the one about the risks about celebrating at halftime, or doink doink?
Old 04-26-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
When the draft grades come out I’m guessing the Packers will get a D. This brings me endless joy.
I put a ton of stock into immediate draft grades too. And I love it how when the Bears trade up for one of their guys (even trading against themselves), it's good, but the Packers do it, it's bad.

I'm not a fan of the Gary pick at all, but I do love me some Darnell Savage. It may not have been necessary to trade up to get him, but I really like him as a player. I was concerned he was just a stud in shorts, I watched some game tape and, while he over-commits too easily, he's a difference maker and is all over the field with his speed. While I'm not a fan of the "I must have this guy", the cost of trading up 9 spots in the 1t round wasn't too bad, so I'm good with it. I'm excited to see an AmosSavage defensive backfield.

Last edited by Hamlet; 04-26-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:16 AM

I think the Redskins did very well. I wasn't expecting Haskins to make it to 15, I don't think anyone was, but there he was and Washington was right to pounce on him.

They did end up trading up, but not for a QB, for #26 and Montez Sweat. This was a surprise but I dig it. Reminds me of Jason Taylor, but faster. This kid is a freak, and he could be really good.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I think the Redskins did very well. I wasn't expecting Haskins to make it to 15, I don't think anyone was, but there he was and Washington was right to pounce on him.

They did end up trading up, but not for a QB, for #26 and Montez Sweat. This was a surprise but I dig it. Reminds me of Jason Taylor, but faster. This kid is a freak, and he could be really good.
I thought the same. Both picks were good. I think I like Haskins more than Murray actually. He seems like a well-rounded QB.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Wow, I'd be hard pressed to disagree more. I think Haskins benefited greatly by extremely talented players around him and is a very good college QB. He also has the build and arm strength NFL coaches covet. But I seriously question his abilities when under pressure or forced to move off his spot (His passer rating drops by almost half from 135.4 to only 73.2, when pressured). Add in concerns about him only starting one year, the adjustments necessary going from college to the pros (not everyone is Patrick Mahomes), and the lack of talent around him (the Redskins have a very average offensive line and Jordan Reed is their only above average pass catcher), and I do not see good things in his future. I would have taken him as a developmental player in the third round, but at #15 and putting him in charge of a ... not great ... franchise will be a huge problem.

I'm also not a fan of Sweat, and while 26 isn't absolutely horrible (like Gary at #12 is), the trade up to get him concerns me. I think Sweat will be an average NFL DE, but nothing special.

Which is fine by me, because Daniel Snyder (note: Not Washington Professional Football Team's fans) deserves to languish in NFL hell forever.

Last edited by Hamlet; 04-26-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:25 AM

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. And believe me I, and most Redskins fans, are no fans of Daniel Snyder, but there's nothing we can do about that.

No QB prospect is a guarantee, not even Lucks or Mannings. Unlike a lot of people I didn't think they HAD to get a QB this draft; they're going to be bad next season no matter who they drafted. If I were in charge I'd take whatever I get out of Keenum and McCoy and get a QB next year. But if the team was dead-set on getting a QB right now, and they were, I think they did as well as they possibly could have. He's not perfect, but he's already the QB on the team with the highest ceiling. We know what Keenum and McCoy are, and star, or even starting QBs they are not.

Trust me, with this team, we gotta take any positives we can get. I have no doubt whatsoever they will do no better than 8-8 next season, more likely closer to 6-10, and it will be the defense that wins them most of those games. Frankly I'd love to be able to break up with the Redskins, but I grew up in the 80s when they were great, so I can't help it.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

I don’t know what to think about Haskins.

This opinion article is harshly critical
https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/...ng-over-needTo

And it’s true that there is a difference between making money and having success in the NFL for a franchise. No one is buying season tickets to see Colt McCoy or Case Keenum. This pick isn’t an RGIII draft pick killer either.

It still would have probably been best to wait a year at QB and roll out a series of backups for the season.

Last edited by dalej42; 04-26-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Corrected my link from above

https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/...ting-over-need
Old 04-26-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion, of course. And believe me I, and most Redskins fans, are no fans of Daniel Snyder, but there's nothing we can do about that.

No QB prospect is a guarantee, not even Lucks or Mannings. Unlike a lot of people I didn't think they HAD to get a QB this draft; they're going to be bad next season no matter who they drafted. If I were in charge I'd take whatever I get out of Keenum and McCoy and get a QB next year. But if the team was dead-set on getting a QB right now, and they were, I think they did as well as they possibly could have. He's not perfect, but he's already the QB on the team with the highest ceiling. We know what Keenum and McCoy are, and star, or even starting QBs they are not.
I've seen a lot of experts who really liked the Washington draft, including PFF and WaPo, so take my opinion for what its worth. I dislike the situation Haskins will be coming into (lack of great Oline, not much as pass catchers, an owner who will want him starting well before I think he'll be ready, and a coach who may not be on board with his selection) than I dislike Haskins. Give him a year (or two) to adjust, like Mahomes got, and he may very well be a very good NFL QB. But I don't think it's likely to happen to him in Washington.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:21 PM

Fair enough. And believe me, I'm as skeptical about this team's ability to develop, or even adequately protect any QB as anyone (injuries played a large part, but still you don't lose TWO quarterbacks to broken legs because you have a stellar O-line). You wouldn't believe the idiotic arguments I get into on the WaPo site with Redskins fans who just don't live in reality.

I think Patrick Ramsey could have been a better player than he ended up being because he got blown up every other snap. I think Jason Campbell could have been an above average player but he was similarly ruined by this team. And we all know what happened to RG3.

So no, confidence is not high. This is a team that's not had a true "franchise QB" since what, Theismann? Jurgensen? I wasn't even alive when Jurgensen was playing!

Or maybe he's truly a special player and he will perform better than his situation. We shall see.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Trust me, with this team, we gotta take any positives we can get. I have no doubt whatsoever they will do no better than 8-8 next season, more likely closer to 6-10, and it will be the defense that wins them most of those games. Frankly I'd love to be able to break up with the Redskins, but I grew up in the 80s when they were great, so I can't help it.
and that's how the Patriots were for years and will be once again Brady and Belichick retire .....
Old 04-26-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I picture an entire Who's on First skit.

Did you draw his sample?

Whose sample?

Drew Sample.

Whose sample?

Drew Sample.

I drew a sample, yes, but whose?

You drew the sample?

Of who?

Drew sample.
Welp...he's a Bengal.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:34 PM

I am loving the Chargers draft. Waiting for talent to fall for them and getting great value and good players. Tillery and Adderly will be solid players for them.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:38 PM

Yeah, that secondary could be something else. Knock on wood.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

The Bears traded up to grab their Jordan Howard replacement. And the kid they took reads a lot like ... Jordan Howard. Big strong and a little bit slow.

Not a fan of trading up for a RB in general or for a position of need that isn’t a QB. That said, they almost certainly were going to miss out on the RB run there.

Hopefully this kid is a better fit for the running scheme and on paper he’s way shiftier than Howard. He also seems to be a bit more likely to shed the initial contact which Howard struggled with a bit. I worry he’s got a lot of miles on his body already. If he’s a stud obviously it’s a great get, but I’d have preferred to sit back and wait for the draft to come to us this year.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
I'm not entirely convinced that the Bears are going with running back for their first pick.
Shows what I know...
Old 04-27-2019, 12:03 PM

Well, with the trade up for Darnell Savage, the Packers don't have any picks in this fourth round, so I'm not overly invested for awhile. I'm sad to see Bryce and Julian Love off the board (it was a Love Run. You know, like a RB run or a QB run. Get it? It's funny because they're both named Love. Awww, forget it.) and Amani Hooker, who would have added needed depth in the defensive backfield. I'm hoping the Packers can get either Te'von Coney or Mack Wilson with their next pick; they really need some help with their linebacking crew and Coney has some nice coverage skills.

I think the Bengals did great to pick Findley, who likely wont be a stud, but draft a QB every year and work on their development.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:27 PM

And I can't believe I missed the obvious Love/Love/Hooker connection in my last post. I'm slipping.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:53 PM

And how did I miss Demarcus Christmas for my list of names. I'm really slipping.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:06 AM
Charter Member

The draft is over, time for a quick reaction post for the Bears.

First some context. As I said in the OP, this is a stacked team. Teams like this often have the luxury of going strictly for BPA and often trade up to get guys they think can slot in immediately to get them over the top. I'd say the Bears fit that description, not sure how I feel about it as a tactic. If I was more sold on Trubisky I'd be more game on going all in, but I get it.

One stat that popped up on ESPN today, no GM has drafted more Pro Bowlers than Pace since he took the job. So safe to say the guy is beyond reproach when it comes to evaluating talent. If I had a criticism it would be that he's hyper-aggressive, constantly trading up to target guys. They tend to be good, often really good, but it's pricey. Yet the team is stacked....so what can you say. But, if Trubisky turns into a $25-30M a year QB that approach will need to change.

All that is preamble to the outcomes for this draft. Obviously we were without a 1st and 6th due to the Mack trade (thumbs up) and a 2nd due to trading up to get Anthony Miller (thumbs up). They entered the Draft with 5 picks. Their own picks in the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th and a 7th they got from Philly last off season. During the Draft they traded up again, spending that 5th and a 4th next year while adding another 6th this year to balance the scales.

Let's look at the picks. Keep in mind that I didn't do a ton of homework on the players so I'll mostly be trying to get into Pace's head here, I don't have much of an opinion on which of these guys are likely to hit or bust.

3.9 (73) David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State
Pace leaps up from 87 to get him; looking to fill the hole left in Jordan Howard's wake. Did we need to trade up to get him? I'd say yes, we did. 3 RBs come off the board between 70 and 74 and the Pats, who were in this spot originally took another RB at 87. He was the 4th RB off the board and on most lists he was 3rd or 4th rated, so assuming Pace sees him as a bell cow the move makes sense.

Will this guy be a clear upgrade over Jordan Howard? I certainly hope so, otherwise this was really dumb. On paper he looks like he has the potential to be dynamite in our scheme but he also has a lot of miles on his tires for a rookie. The draft profiles are really favorable for the guy with comparisons to Kareem hunt (on the field) and tremendous vision and elusiveness if not game breaking speed. Should be a much better fit than Howard at least.

It feels like Pace made up his mind to get an impact RB in this draft come hell or high water. I dislike that kind of myopic approach on principle and we may end up looking back and wishing we'd have sat tight and grabbed an EDGE or OL at our original spot. Seems like EDGE was pretty well picked over at that point but there were OLs who might have made an impact here. All in all I hate that we had to trade up but I do think this will end up as another "win" in the draft for Pace.

4.24 (126) Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia
Calvin Ridley's brother if you haven't heard. Ironic since I was really against drafting Ridley last year when everyone and their brother was mocking him to the Bears, and now we've got the little brother.

This feels like a true BPA pick for Pace. WR wasn't a top need for the Bears and Ridley's former teammate Javon Wims might end up fighting him for a roster spot. He must have been right at the top of his board. Pace LOVES drafting Georgia players which is the kind of thing that makes me scratch my head, like does his SEC just love it in Athens or something? Whether Ridley is actually the BPA here time will tell.

According to the draft profiles describe him like a poor-man's version of his brother. Very technically sound, good route runner, good ball skills, good hands but doesn't really pop when you look at his workouts and physical traits. He was often listed as a possible 2nd or 3rd rounder in spite of pretty light production as a one year starter. NFL.com has him as the 7th ranked WR. If he can be a reliable possession guy opposite AR17 that's a big win. I wouldn't call him a "developmental" guy so the expectation will be to make an immediate impact.

6.33 (205) Duke Shelly, CB, Kansas State
Honestly, this one is a head scratcher. We need depth at DB for sure, but this guy wasn't really on anyone's board. In the 6th round that's not really that unusual but I don't love the physical traits, he's fast but is just 5.9/170 with short arms and small hands. Generally I want a bigger DB who can stand a guy up at the line, but hopefully Pagano has a plan here. Due to his size he's probably projected as a Nickel and it would be great if he wins the job from Skrine.

One possible wildcard here is that this kid missed most of his senior year with a injury. Maybe Pace sees a guy that would have been a highly rated guy had he stayed on the field. That's probably a bit of a stretch though. In the late rounds it's always a crap shoot, but I have to wonder if this guy would have been available as a UDFA considering the injury. You can never have enough DBs so let's hope he's at least a star on special teams.

7.8 (222) Kerrith Whyte, RB, Florida Atlantic
Another burner. Speed kills so this guy could be an interesting addition but I have to hope this is just another pure BPA choice. We certainly didn't need to take 2 RBs in this draft and I'll be shocked if both end up making the squad. Perhaps he fits in as the primary KR/PR which would be a justification for the pick, essentially filling in the Benny Cunningham role.

It's the 7th round and finding a sub-4.4 40 guy here should be considered a win and since this kid has pretty light usage he could be a early contributor, but I'm frankly shocked that we didn't address either the OL or EDGE before we grabbed a likely core ST guy.

7.24 (238) Stephen Denmark, CB, Valdosta State
We love our small-school guys in Chicago so that at least makes this guy intriguing. Also intriguing are his measurables. He's 180 degrees from Shelley at 6.3" and 220 while still posting a 4.46 40. He's an absolute physical freak (ignore that DK Metcalf-esque 3 cone though). But, and it's a biggie, he has no real skills at CB. He's a converted WR who only has been playing defense for a season, and that's a season in DII no less. When you put up bad tape against that competition it's a pretty serious red flag. They won the DII national title though, so go figure.

I think it's easy to see what Pace is thinking here though. The kid is a project and will need a lot of seasoning on the PS, but Pagano is supposedly a DB guru and if he can polish this guy up he could be useful depth in a couple seasons. At the very least he should be a dominant special teams guy. Will be interesting to see if they try keeping him at CB or if they try and groom him into a Safety where his size might be a little more typical and where his former WR skills might be more useful. The kid is a lottery ticket, which is about the best way to spend your 7th rounders in my mind.

So to recap, the Bears key needs were RB, EDGE and K. 1 out of 3 is....okay I guess.

Will be interesting to see if any interesting UDFAs come to town in the next couple days.

Last edited by Omniscient; 04-28-2019 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:00 AM

Packers Draft Review

Round 1, Pick 12: Rashan Gary, EDGE, Michigan

Hate this pick. The dude has all the physical talent to be a wrecking ball on the D-line, and he has never lived up to the potential. The hubris of coaches convinces them theyíll be the amazing coach to finally unlock a player and turn him into a consistent All-Pro. I really hope their right, but Iím not convinced.

Round 1, Pick 21: Darnell Savage, S, Maryland

On the other hand, I really like this pick. It cost a couple 4th rounder picks to move up 9 spots to get him, which is a pretty fair deal. Savage has some very nice measurable, as fast as fuck for a safety, and looks good on the little game tape I watched. Heís versatile, which is great, as it allows Pettine to have more flexibility in his defensive calls. I think this pick, although a bit costly to the depth on the roster, was well worth it.

Round 2, Pick 12 (No. 44 overall): Elgton Jenkins, C, Mississippi State

One of my guys, I think heíll be a solid player for a long time. Like Savage, heís versatile, and can immediately contribute to a somewhat troubling interior offensive line. I doubt he has the skills to play tackle in the NFL, but hopefully he can hold down one of the guard positions until Linsley is done as the center. I like it.

Round 3, Pick 11 (No. 75 overall): Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M

Iím on the fence with this one. TE was definitely a position of need, and Sternberger has all the pass catching skills you want as a offensive weapon. Heíll block for shit in the NFL, so at this point, heís limited in his usage. And the one year wonder, JUCO transfer stuff concerns me greatly that heís just a meathead flash in the pan. But he was clearly the 4th best TE, and the other three went at least a round earlier, so he was great value. I donít like him and think heíll flame out, but I like the value of the pick. And more than certainly, the Packers know more than I do.

Round 5, Pick 12 (No. 150 overall): Kingsley Keke, DE, Texas A&M

I like the pick, with some reservations. Keke had a great senior year, mostly because he lost weight and moved from DT to DE. That versatility (thereís that word again), should help him make the roster, and allow him to be a solid 3-4 lineman. His strength is sub-average, but his other traits are pretty good, and he was very good value in the 5th round. I just had other guys at other positions that I thought were bigger needs. With the offseason acquisition of the Smiths, I would have much rather taken a chance on Mack Wilson or Blake Cashman, a couple LBís who went a few picks after Keke.

Round 6, Pick 12 (No. 185 overall): Ka'dar Hollman, CB, Toledo

Another speedy DB to Pettine to play with. It will likely take awhile for Hollman to be ready for the NFL, being a walk-on at a small school. A nice story (he had to work a few jobs before getting a walk on offer), but I donít expect him to contribute anytime soon. Practice squad fodder and hope the coaches (again with the hubris) can develop his athletic talent.

Round 6, Pick 22 (No. 194 overall): Dexter Williams, RB, Notre Dame

As my daughters would say ďwhatevsĒ. I donít like the guy (character issues, lack of skill at breaking tackles), but he does have some nice big play potential and receiving prowess. I would have much rather a linebacker (Tevon Coney went undrafted) or another developmental TE, but like I said: whatevs.

Round 7, Pick 12 (No. 226 overall): Ty Summers, LB, Texas Christian

Finally, a linebacker. Iíve been waiting for one for awhile. Summers has some nice speed ( Pettine loves speed apparently) for a linebacker, but is really more just special team guy for now. Maybe more time to recover from injury and some pro-level training, heíll develop, but I donít expect much from him. Which is fine.

Overall:

I hope Iím wrong, but Iím not really a huge fan of the Packers draft. Waiting on a linebacker that long, not drafting an offensive tackle (I have no faith in Spriggs, their second round pick in 2016) when Bulaga is on an expiring contract and is injury prone now, and taking a huge risk with the #12 pick all pissed me off. They did draft some good players at positions of need (Savage, Jenkins), and there are some developmental players to like. But there is too much risk with Gary and Sternberger and they seemed to draft measurables more than football players. Luckily, I am a fan of their free agency moves, but Iím not a fan of this draft.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:46 PM

From the WTF file: The Giants' 6th round pick, Corey Ballentine, sustained non-life-threatening injuries in a shooting just hours after being selected. A teammate was killed in the incident.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/g...019-nfl-draft/
Old 04-28-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Not Rocket Surgery! View Post
From the WTF file: The Giants' 6th round pick, Corey Ballentine, sustained non-life-threatening injuries in a shooting just hours after being selected. A teammate was killed in the incident.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/g...019-nfl-draft/
I didnít realize quite how badly the Giants picked this draft until now.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Upon hearing about this, my first thought was "Well, he had a shot......"
Old 04-29-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

I don't think anyone mentioned it here, maybe cause the board was down over the weekend, but the Dolphins trading for Josh Rosen was a really shrewd move. I really don't like Rosen at all as a prospect and was way down on him last year during the draft, but for $2M/year and a late 2nd round pick you have to like the value they got. Maybe he's the Dolphins starter at some point this year and he pans out as a solid pro, maybe he's a career backup, but it costs very little for the Dolphins to find out. If he's a bum, well, they can grab a QB next year without catching any of the heat the Cardinals did.

There's 5 or 6 teams that should have done the exact same thing. Honestly, I'm not sure why the Patriots didn't. He's better than Stidham. He's probably better than Ryan Finley in Cincy. The Cowboys could have given him a look before they overpay Dak. The Jags could have used him as Foles insurance.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:31 PM

I think the Cardinals badly misplayed their Rosen hand. Had they been open about trading him beforehand, and not all cagey like they were they could have created that bidding war they obviously were trying to create. They comically and erroneously appeared to believe that Rosen's trade value would remain high and even increase as the draft approached. They were extremely wrong. Free agency came and they waited. The combine came and they waited. Draft day came and still they waited. By the time they decided to start peddling, after the draft had actually started, nobody cared anymore.

The teams that were looking for a QB that might have been willing to trade before, by that point were willing to see how the first round panned out. The Giants and Redskins both took QBs. That left Arizona and Miami staring at each other, and the Dolphins probably had a HUGE grin on their face.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:00 PM

Bears picked up a UDFA guard (who is rehabbing an ACL) and a center from Notre Dame, reuniting with them with Harry Heistand, Bear's O-Line coach. who recruited/coached them at ND. Can't believe I'm happy the Bears picked up NDers.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think the Cardinals badly misplayed their Rosen hand. Had they been open about trading him beforehand, and not all cagey like they were they could have created that bidding war they obviously were trying to create.
It was the exact opposite of a secret that they wanted to deal him. That by itself drove down his market value. There wasn't a bidding war because only one team was confident he was a significantly better long-term prospect than anybody they could just draft. We'll all know in a few years, like with any draft, though.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 04-29-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:46 PM

Patriots Draft Analysis

Round 1 - Pick 32 (32)
N'Keal Harry WR Arizona State 6-2 228 LBS
Incredible pick because Bill Belichick made it and he's a genius. Obviously the next Calvin Johnson.

Round 2 - Pick 13 (45)
Joejuan Williams CB Vanderbilt 6-3 208 LBS
Clearly an amazing pick because his name is basically Joe John, but Spanish-y, which is cooler.

Round 3 - Pick 14 (77)
Chase Winovich EDGE Michigan 6-3 256 LBS
This pick was a two-fold success: first, he looks like a Gronkowski-esque man-boy and we need that energy in the locker room now; second, he has the word Win in his name, which makes him an obvious Patriot.

Round 3 - Pick 24 (87)
Damien Harris RB Alabama 5-10 216 LBS
Roll Tide? I don't know anything about college football.

Round 3 - Pick 38 (101)
Yodny Cajuste T West Virginia 6-5 312 LBS
I don't think this is a real person, that name is obviously just random syllables thrown together. Nevertheless, the Pats will get good value out of him.

Round 4 - Pick 16 (118)
Hjalte Froholdt G Arkansas 6-5 306 LBS
C'mon, who are they kidding? Hjalte Froholdt is a Northman from Game of Thrones. WINTER IS COMING, BITCHES.

Round 4 - Pick 31 (133)
Jarrett Stidham QB Auburn 6-3 215 LBS
QB#23 who thinks he'll be next in line after Brady. In actuality, this guy's third son will be the one who finally replaces the Ageless Wonder.

Round 5 - Pick 21 (159)
Byron Cowart DT Maryland 6-3 298 LBS
People are still paying attention at this point?

Round 5 - Pick 25 (163)
Jake Bailey P Stanford 6-2 202 LBS
OooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooohh, a punter!

Round 7 - Pick 38 (252)
Ken Webster CB Mississippi 5-11 203 LBS
Belichick just really likes guys named "Ken."

Last edited by ShadowFacts; 04-29-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
Patriots Draft Analysis
You need to be on ESPN. I would seriously watch your show (or more likely, your bit on somebody else's show).
Old 04-29-2019, 09:34 PM

I hate this Patriots draft. I wrote down some "sleepers" during the leadup to the draft, and Belichick picked, like, for of them. Winovich is the Wolverine that actually sacked quarterbacks; Joejuan is huge; Froholdt is a stud, etc.

The good(?) news is that the 49ers "stole" 4th Round punter Wishnowsky out from underneath New England.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
You need to be on ESPN. I would seriously watch your show (or more likely, your bit on somebody else's show).
I was about to say, thatís the best draft analysis Iíve read this year.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:44 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
Round 5 - Pick 25 (163)
Jake Bailey P Stanford 6-2 202 LBS
OooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooohh, a punter!
He won't stick with the Patriots; he's right-footed.

I'm not even kidding.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I was about to say, thatís the best draft analysis Iíve read this year.
You're very kind. I'll be here all week. Tip your servers!
Old 05-01-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post

Once, the Dallas Cowboys took 6 hours to make a pick while they waited for a medical report to come back. Be happy with 10 minutes per pick.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I think the Cardinals badly misplayed their Rosen hand. Had they been open about trading him beforehand, and not all cagey like they were they could have created that bidding war they obviously were trying to create. They comically and erroneously appeared to believe that Rosen's trade value would remain high and even increase as the draft approached. They were extremely wrong. Free agency came and they waited. The combine came and they waited. Draft day came and still they waited. By the time they decided to start peddling, after the draft had actually started, nobody cared anymore.

The teams that were looking for a QB that might have been willing to trade before, by that point were willing to see how the first round panned out. The Giants and Redskins both took QBs. That left Arizona and Miami staring at each other, and the Dolphins probably had a HUGE grin on their face.
And to rub salt in the wound the Dolphins traded down first, so Arizona got an even lower 2nd rounder.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

There’s lots of chat on the Redskins blogs about Haskins wanting to wear Theismann’s #7. Uniform numbers are just a number, but if I’m a rookie QB for the Redskins, I’d rather not have that pressure.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
He won't stick with the Patriots; he's right-footed.
You don't think Bill used a pick on him for shits and giggles, do you? He's as good as Ryan Allen (probably), he's a better backup PK for Gostkowski if it comes to that, and the lefty thing has always been just one of the mind games Bill loves. The rookie is cheaper too - Bill has always kept cap space clear for veteran FA's by squeezing guys who make more than minimum wage but are otherwise largely interchangeable spare parts - and kickers mostly are just that.

Gotta admire the way he turned Garoppolo into half this excellent-looking draft class with all of those deals, and he still has picks left.