Old 11-25-2018, 06:36 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
The new planet, it's moons and the city of Lorville on the planet are pretty off the hook. More and more content is being added with each new update/patch.
I don't think you can "add more content" to something that is not yet a working game.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I don't think you can "add more content" to something that is not yet a working game.
Build the house, then add on extensions/wings? I suppose it could be done that way...
Old 11-25-2018, 08:14 PM

Well, "content" is a pretty broad term for anything in a game. So sure, the new planet and moons are content.

I'm curious about what the new content actually is. I saw a few videos that are appear to be flybys of the big city to show scale, and it does indeed look very large. Are the cities functional? Are there missions to do or enemies to fight? What does one do in Lorville?
Old 12-24-2018, 07:36 AM

Star Citizen has received 46 million dollars in venture capital in exchange for a 10% stake in the studio.

Also of note is that Squadron 42 (the single-player component of the game) has been given a release date of Summer 2020.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Star Citizen has received 46 million dollars in venture capital in exchange for a 10% stake in the studio.

Also of note is that Squadron 42 (the single-player component of the game) has been given a release date of Summer 2020.
Now THAT'S a fuckin' whale.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:34 PM

Who wants to bet they don’t make that Summer 2020 release date?
Old 12-24-2018, 02:58 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

For that kind of money the guy gets a Death Star, right?
Old 12-25-2018, 10:26 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Note that Roberts is saying the $46 million will go towards marketing. Marketing Squadron 42, not the full game.

Scaaaaaaaam.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

According to an accounting document released around Christmas, CIG has spent $193.3 million since 2012, with $14.23 million left in reserve. About $48.8 million of that was spent in 2017, putting the company’s most recently reported monthly spending at about an average of $4 million. Remember, per the current TOS, they don't need to specify what the hell they're doing with all that money.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-02-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Roberts going after a new source of suckers funding: deaf gamers.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:30 PM

Eh, this is actually pretty cool and inclusive.

We can chalk it up to baseline Star Citizen-scumminess if you have to 'donate' a certain amount of dollars to gain access to the emotes.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Roberts going after a new source of suckers funding: deaf gamers.
No, I'm not going to knock them for this, disability inclusion is something that should be considered and included in all gaming.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
No, I'm not going to knock them for this, disability inclusion is something that should be considered and included in all gaming.
Including the scammy parts?
Old 02-11-2019, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Finish the damn game then add more bling.

Their low reserves combined with the fact that virtually no other game caters to those with difficulty hearing smacks of Roberts trying to find yet another source of funding to squeeze.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-11-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Jays Fan

That's the thing. If a reputable game company said they were building accessibility into the game I'd say bravo. This screams "we need a fresh source of funds for our Ponzi scheme."
Old 02-18-2019, 06:28 PM
BANNED

LOL Star Citizen. Holds the record for longest almost finished game in history. First time I've peeked into the game room here. I play a couple I don't see listed. Boy, was I surprised to see THIS one here. Whattahoot!

Old 02-18-2019, 06:45 PM

AFAICT, Star Citizen is the Fyre Festival of PC gaming
Old 02-19-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Jays Fan

All the likes for the previous post.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
AFAICT, Star Citizen is the Fyre Festival of PC gaming
Except Fyre is no longer still scamming people.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
Except Fyre is no longer still scamming people.
CIG knows what itís doing.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Gotta keep that money rolling in...
Quote:
On the of chance ray tracing does get added to Star Citizen it'll slow down development even more, and the improvements will be slight.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
What a pointless, nothing article. There's obviously nothing interesting to write about!
Old 02-21-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I cannot connect to that site at work-what's the lowdown?
Old 02-21-2019, 12:33 PM

Somebody on the SC forums asked if ray tracing was going to make development easier, and the dev responsed that they're not using it at all.

This is a nothing story, though I found this quote kind of amusing:

Quote:
The added headache is that whatever we offered would have to be an "as well" feature rather than an "instead", developing a feature for a single manufacturer's top-end cards means also maintaining feature parity for everyone else's hardware.
Feature parity for everyone else's hardware? Isn't Star Citizen supposed to be the game that finally doesn't coddle to casual players with casual hardware?

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 02-21-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What are the current minimum requirements to run this game?
Old 02-21-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
What are the current minimum requirements to run this game?
According to this:

Quote:
* Windows 7 (64bit) with Service Pack 1, Windows 8 (64bit), Windows 10 - Anniversary Update (64bit)
* DirectX 11 Graphics Card with 2GB RAM (4GB strongly recommended)
* Quad Core CPU
* 16GB+ RAM
* SSD strongly recommended
I ran it in slideshow mode on my laptop a while ago.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Somebody on the SC forums asked if ray tracing was going to make development easier, and the dev responsed that they're not using it at all.
To clarify: they're not currently using it and have higher priority things to work on but that dev wants to add ray tracing. Which would slow down development and Roberts loves to keep that money rolling in.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-21-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
According to this:

I ran it in slideshow mode on my laptop a while ago.
I can run it with 12GB of RAM but you need every bit of it. Below that and it won't even let you play.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:01 PM

...just watched this video based on the experiences of a gamer playing the Alpha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhzU806jxnY

The game looks like a nightmare. As in, a literal nightmare. Like the sort of nightmare you wake up from screaming. Best quote: "With each void consumption giving me a surreal peek behind the curtain at just how much this world is held together with tape."

The game looks so fundamentally broken.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:15 PM

That's a great and hilarious video.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Heh, that video is outdated already. Automatic undocking and exiting was added to Elite: Dangerous nine days ago as part of their initiative to make the game more friendly to newbies.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:27 PM

youd think some consumer agency somewhere would be investigating this mess...... I mean on paper it sounds like the game wing commander/freelancer fans have always wanted but ut went off the rails ........
Old 05-02-2019, 10:10 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

If it was ever on them....
Old 05-02-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
youd think some consumer agency somewhere would be investigating this mess...... I mean on paper it sounds like the game wing commander/freelancer fans have always wanted but ut went off the rails ........
It is basically the exact Freelancer game that Chris Roberts promsied to make, but lacked the management talent and focus to actually produce. And like Freelancer, the project has immense promise but maybe was trying to do more than was practical, but with Freelancer Microsoft eventually put their collective foot down and forced him to go while they finished the project. There is no way to do that with Star Citizen.

There's a video around on youtube which goes into the history there and if anyone wants I can probably dig it up.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
The game looks so fundamentally broken.
What I don't understand (OK, ONE of the things I don't understand), is how they could have added so much content, detail, and ambience to their world without paying any attention to the very basics. It looks like there are multiple planets worth of content, including cities. There were lots of parts of that video that would look phenomenal as still frames, but you can't walk across a room without falling through the floor?
Old 05-03-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
What I don't understand (OK, ONE of the things I don't understand), is how they could have added so much content, detail, and ambience to their world without paying any attention to the very basics. It looks like there are multiple planets worth of content, including cities. There were lots of parts of that video that would look phenomenal as still frames, but you can't walk across a room without falling through the floor?
...I think its the perfect storm of "feature creep", "agile on steroids", a lack of leadership and direction and "not really having a goal or a timeline" that anyone is working too.

And this story dropped a couple of days ago:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattper.../#7edc79795ac9

I haven't read it yet, so I'm guessing it sheds a bit of light on everything. I found it buried in a google news search for "Star Citizen" under a whole lot of "PR" stories about Star Citizens free week of play. In fact the Forbes article wasn't even in the search results, I found it via this link.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...just watched this video based on the experiences of a gamer playing the Alpha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhzU806jxnY
I do not buy this guy's thesis that Star Citizen's fundamentally broken interface somehow contributes to its atmosphere. That video is full of some pretty tortured bothsideism.

But he and I are very different people; I would be physically incapable of putting "tens of hours" into a game running that badly. I felt a headache coming on just from watching the laggy, glitchy mess that he was dealing with.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I do not buy this guy's thesis that Star Citizen's fundamentally broken interface somehow contributes to its atmosphere.
Me neither.

He makes comparisons both No Man's Sky and Elite: Dangerous as though there is a sliding scale with these games at either end, and suggests that Star Citizen might in some way fall between them. I'd suggest that Star Citizen would be a long way past Elite on that scale of user-friendliness, even if it worked.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:18 AM
Charter Jays Fan

the Forbes article just nails it. Right here, a hole in one from 300 yards out:

Quote:
This is not fraud—Roberts really is working on a game—but it is incompetence and mismanagement on a galactic scale. The heedless waste is fueled by easy money raised through crowdfunding, a Wild West territory nearly free of regulators and rules. Creatives are in charge here, not profit-driven bean counters or deadline-enforcing suits.
One hundred percent correct. Easy crowdfunding absolutely is the reason Star Citizen has failed.

Anyone who's ever worked in any sort of business knows that however much time and money is allocated to a project, it will all be spent. If you allocate an unlimited about of time and money, you'll never be done. Budgets and schedules are not the enemies of creativity; they are its allies. Limits on the time and money you can spend on something are what force you to make decisions, to really consider quality, to focus your thinking on the essence of what you're trying to create. It helps, too, if you have someone who is willing and able to tell you "this fucking sucks, you should redo it."

The danger, of course - and CIG is probably way past that - is that corporate survival instict takes over, and eventually the company's mission changes from "we need to raise more money to make this product" to "we need to raise more money to continue existing." Forbes nailed this too:

Quote:
In addition, workers have had to spend weeks on end making demos so that Cloud Imperium can keep selling spaceships—and raising more money.
So at some point the primary purpose became deceiving people as to the readiness of the game in order to improve liquidity.

I am 90% convinced that had Roberts been given a budget with an absolute hard cap of $150 million ,a hard schedule of four years to make a great game, and a boss willing to give him the this-fucking-sucks feedback, there would be a great game for everyone to play by now.

Last edited by RickJay; 05-03-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Yeah, Roberts isn't a manager. Most creative types aren't. What they need to get this game finished is some sort of EA middle manager to come in and crack the whip.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
I'd suggest that Star Citizen would be a long way past Elite on that scale of user-friendliness, even if it worked.
Certainly at some point past with the noob-friendly content added to Elite on 23 April.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I am 90% convinced that had Roberts been given a budget with an absolute hard cap of $150 million ,a hard schedule of four years to make a great game, and a boss willing to give him the this-fucking-sucks feedback, there would be a great game for everyone to play by now.
Heís made awesome stuff in the past so Iíd agree with you. Heís like a thoroughbred without a rider; with nobody holding the reins heís running really fast but going nowhere.

I once watched a documentary on the making of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. A lot of footage of them working on the film and interviews with people who worked on it. George Lucas had 100% control over the film and everyone was afraid to tell him no or otherwise offer criticism. The end result was not a failure but has been considered by many to be the worst of the Star Wars films. And the worst parts were the things that went straight from Lucasís mind to the screen.