View Poll Results: What do you replace your flattened vehicle with?
I buy the exact same make, model, and year. I just want to be made whole! 5 6.17%
I buy a newer version of the same make and model. I want to be made whole, but I wanted a newer one. 21 25.93%
I buy the newest, most upgraded version of the same make and model. I deserve it! 10 12.35%
I buy something else. The Universe clearly wants me to have something different! 34 41.98%
I buy a bicycle. 1 1.23%
I start taking public transportation. 1 1.23%
Something completely else. 9 11.11%
I buy a lottery ticket! 0 0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2019, 01:14 PM

Replace with same car or get something different?

A satellite falls out of the sky directly onto your parked vehicle, disintegrating most of it and flattening the rest. You've had it a while but it still had legs, and you were not prepared or expecting to have to replace it anytime soon.

You're given a nice settlement, more than enough to buy an exact replacement or an upgrade if you choose.

Do you buy the exact same vehicle?

An newer, better version of the same model?

Or something completely different?
Old 05-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

I don’t drive any longer, but I was in that situation about ten years ago. Had a car for about 2 weeks and it was totalled in a crash, bought the exact same one except decided to go for the sunroof on the new one.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:49 PM

Buy exact same make and model and year. But then I just bought it 5 months ago

I would get one additional option that I didn't realize was an option. It's a 4Runner, I figured that since it did not have the optional 3rd row seat, they would put storage where the third seat would fold down into.

That's an option
Old 05-13-2019, 01:53 PM

I might buy something else totally different. Love my current 2009 SmartCar, but it is a maintenance and repair headache and it would be time for something else.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:11 PM

I've been driving Jeep Wranglers for a while now. I buy one, put around 150,000 miles on it, then trade for a new one. If my current Wrangler disappeared, I'd buy another Wrangler.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:09 PM

I would do what I always do, decide on my priorities and research which currently available cars meet my criteria, and then sit in/drive as many as I can get access to, usually at the annual auto show in Portland. Then buy.
BTW, I usually keep a vehicle for 10 to 15 years, or until the doors fall off.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:53 PM

When my old Miata got totaled, I used the proceeds to buy something new and much safer. The then-future Mrs. Charming and Rested really hated the Miata. It was loud, rough-riding and too dangerous. She deserves better. I don't; I want another one.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:33 PM

I start the car search from scratch. Read reviews, take test drives, consider the prices decide about new or used etc.. I'm happy with the choice I made when I first bought the now crushed car, so I may end up in it again, but the market may have changed since then suggesting a different one might be more suited to my needs.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 05-13-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:44 PM

I've currently got a Kia Soul, and it's the easiest thing to get in and out of that I've ever had, or ridden in, or seen. My next car will not be harder to get in and out of, so it too will be a Soul. The only question is whether it will be electric or self-driving or whatever they have available at the time I replace it; I'm certainly not averse to upgrading to the newest model that suits my needs.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:09 PM

I buy something else (although not because I think the universe expects it of me).

I know what I want in terms of qualities and features, the trouble is finding it. I want a smaller car but I need legroom for me, the driver. I do volunteer work that requires a lot of space in the back. I want good (i.e. hybrid-level) mileage. I have a pretty good compromise now except the mileage sucks. I'd like a chance to find something closer to my perfect car/SUV/crossover/van.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:15 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

You forgot "I'm perfectly happy with my old car, but I'd shop around before buying an exact replacement."

Last edited by Kent Clark; 05-13-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:27 PM

I'd upgrade from my 2000 Subaru Outback to a new Forester. With 180k miles on my Outback, I'll need this kind of deal to get anything for it now...
Old 05-13-2019, 07:16 PM

I get something different.

Part of that is just that I like changing things up. I suspect some of the poll results will just reflect people's genetics. How open or closed we are to new experience is one of those personality traits with a significant influence from how we are at birth. The Army certainly had a strong nurture component by throwing me into lots of different situations.

Part of it is I only buy used. I then drive them till a good chunk of their useful life is gone. Five to six years of ownership is common and I'm typically buying 2-3 model years off the latest. That restricts car purchases to what's available in the time frame when I decide to make a switch. Even if I was buying new, the exact same mix of features might no longer be available for sale. I'm likely not getting the exact same car because it's not for sale. There may well be options that better fit my evaluation criteria than the actually available cars of the same make and model name.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Even when I'm happy with my current car, I find myself looking at other cars in parking lots to see if they might be something I'd like to own next time. So in that respect, I'm always on the lookout for the next one.

The current car (for almost nine years) is a Honda Fit, and while I'm happy with it, I might go for a small SUV (Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4) next time. But even the newer Honda Fit has some features (backup camera, better smartphone integration, etc) that weren't available when I bought mine. So anything new would be an improvement.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:21 PM

I had to vote "something completely else".
I buy something secondhand that's good value -- I don't specifically look for something new, nor do I specifically look for the same/similar model.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:43 PM

Well, since my current Daily Driver is a one of a kind built by my uncle 25 years ago, getting one just like it now would be very difficult.

I would just take the money & use it to build me something else. Perhaps a Subaru powered trike, or maybe I would convert one of my Chevy LUV pickups to electric.

Heck, I just might buy a Stinson 108-03. I know where one is that has been sitting for decades. It needs rebuilt &/or modified.

Now you have gotten me to thinking about things that maybe I should not. My wife would not be happy with me if I started another project. She thinks I have enough already. I am down to two.

Last edited by 48Willys; 05-13-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

When I was changing cars every 2-3 years, I always tried something new. But I think if my present car - a Mazda CX-5 - was totaled, I'd get another one. I like this car a lot.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:42 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

So, my CX 5 gets smooshed? Oh well. My question: does "a nice settlement, more than enough to buy an exact replacement or an upgrade". cover an upgrade to a new small RV? If so, that's my choice.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
My question: does "a nice settlement, more than enough to buy an exact replacement or an upgrade". cover an upgrade to a new small RV? If so, that's my choice.
Sure!
Old 05-13-2019, 10:59 PM

Most of my shit would be pretty hard to replace. I'll get a 2002 Subaru WRX with less than 150k and the head gaskets already done. Not a freakin' white one!
Old 05-13-2019, 11:07 PM

I'd pick the same thing. I hate new stuff. I hate burnt orange, so I'd get a different color.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:15 AM

I love my Fiat 500 Sport, so I'd probably sign up for another Fiat 500. Think I might go for the Abarth version, with 60% more horsepower, though.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:03 AM
born to be shunned

I stand alone at the top. Less miles would be nice and maybe a year or two newer but not much. Not too long after we got ours Subaru started adding things as "basic" that don't interest me; what I would call gizmos. I want a clutch, rear defroster, fairly good CD sound system, and that is about it. My car need to go, be reliable, and handle snow; I do not want entertainment or social connections. The voices in my head provide enough of both.

To borrow from Steven Wright (I believe) the voices in my head speak Spanish and I have no idea what they are saying. But I know its something about me.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

This happened to us earlier this year. Wife's Camry was totaled and we replaced it with a newer one. We found a 5 year old Camry hybrid with minimal miles and bought it. The old one was 12 years old, so it sort of resets the clock for us. And gets about 10 mpg better than its predecessor.

I also re-acquired an old family Corolla for me. Since I can use it as daily driver instead of the truck, our average fleet mileage went from 21 mpg to 36 (roughly).
Old 05-14-2019, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Well, I only carry PL/PD, so I wouldn't have a settlement coming, unless the satellite owner's insurance company offered something up.

I'm currently driving a company-provided, 2019 version of my own, 2004 Expedition, and, hell yeah, I'd replace the 2004 with something as new as I could afford. The ~$3000 settlement from the '04 isn't likely to be even enough for a down payment on a '19 or '20, though.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:59 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I've been happy with my Sonata, and I may well be inclined to get the latest model with a few upgrades, but there are other vehicles that appeal to me, so I'd consider other options. Brand loyalty doesn't enter into the equation. At this stage of my life, comfort is a prime consideration, fuel economy is also a biggie, as is reliability. Beyond that, I just need something to get me safely from here to there and back again.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:09 AM

I replaced my 2010 Elantra with a 2015 Elantra, which has a couple of more bells and whistles on it than the old one. Even so, I'm tired of the same make and model car. I'm going to buy something entirely different when I do replace it.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

I didn't vote because my choice isn't represented. I'd start a car search from scratch and see what is out there on the market today. There are many different options from when I bought my 2010, and my life is somewhat different. I could get another Outback, but there are new AWD models that I'd want to evaluate.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:25 AM

Recently replaced my '04 Audi (purchased in 2012) with an '06 Lexus. The Audi was great for a few years, but just a few problems after that added up to several thousand in repair and maintenance bills. Lexus was highly recommended as the most reliable brand that's also relatively cheap to repair and maintain, so we made a point to find a Lexus in our price range. So far so good! Right now I'd replace with a similar Lexus were it obliterated.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-14-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:37 AM

Oh cool, my C1 just got replaced by an electric Smart! And I have some really scary pictures to show to people to boot!

(Cars are one of the things I window shop for when I've got too much time in my hands at work)

Last edited by Nava; 05-14-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:49 AM

We have 3 vehicles but I drive the Yukon.

I have 3 pre-teens and I am a Scouter, coach baseball and hockey and have an island cottage. I need to be able to haul people, gear, tools, canoes, boats, etc.. often.

I'd buy another Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban but a newer year.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:04 AM

I need an option for "something similar, but there's lots of wiggle-room". My current F150 suits me fine, but I'm not brand loyal, so some kind of pick-up with 4WD and AC are the only requirements. The fewer bells and whistles the better - salt water does nasty things to electronics. I would even pay extra if I could find a truck with roll-up windows.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:22 AM

I’m driving a 2016 Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Diesel engine gets good MPGs and has lots of torque. The Grand Cherokee is very comfortable. If in a city, it’s a little big, but out on the open highway it’s a luxurious long-distance road machine. Out on the trails, it is decently capable. With its low transfer 4x4 and rear ELSD it’ll tackle everything I’d ever want to do. Clearing some obstacles I’ve had it up on 3 wheels, and momentarily on 2 diagonally-opposed wheels as the weight slooowly transfers from the right rear tire to the left front tire — like you’re on a teeter-totter, the left front tire was up in the air, and now the right rear tire is up in the air, and I slowly continue off of the obstacle. And I can tow over 7,000 lbs.

For MPGs the best I ever got on an entire tankful is 35.5 MPG highway — doing 65 MPH I went 835 miles on the tank and then filled up with 23.6 gallons (25 gallon capacity). But normally overall I’m in the 20-25 MPG range because I like to drive a little faster.

What other vehicle has this fuel economy, comfort and luxury, and off-road capability? It is the ultimate explorer.

I get another one but newer year.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:39 AM

I have a Sonata hybrid I'm happy with but I also put a lot of miles on my car so it'd make sense for me to look for a newer car (less miles) than a direct replacement. I'd certainly consider the same make/model though even if I wanted to go newer.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:40 AM

Considering that I drive a 14 year old pickup that's out of production, there's no way to get a new one, and finding an identical one would be a trial, to say the least.

So I'd probably end up getting one of two things- either a plug-in hybrid, or another pickup. Most of my trips are short-distance, so the hybrid makes the most sense from a fuel economy perspective, but we do use the pickup functionality often enough to make one a serious consideration. I imagine I'd look at the Ford Ranger or the Chevrolet Colorado lines and see what I could find there.

Ideally I'd like an electric or plug-in hybrid small pickup, but I think those are entirely hypothetical at this point.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 AM

I drive a 2017 Subaru Crosstrek. I'd buy the newest upgraded version. It's the perfect car for me. Perfect size, fairly good mileage, all-wheel drive, I feel like I fit in it perfectly - very comfortable for me.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 AM

I'd be sad because my new ST got flattened. Then I'd be online ordering a Tesla 3, especially since there is now a Federal Incentive in Canada now.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:11 AM

I drive mine until the bodies start seriously falling apart. Just about everything else is repairable.

So what happens, and what would happen if my current car were suddenly demolished, is that the same car is effectively no longer available, even if there's something currently available using the same name. And the cars of the same year as mine are either already disintegrating, or are being driven by people using the same technique as I am who aren't about to sell them until they're disintegrating; so none of them are available in decent shape either.

Therefore I don't have the choice to buy the exact same thing again; even though about three times out of four I've wanted to. (I still miss that 4WD hatchback Tercel.) I'd have to set about researching from scratch again.

So I voted 'other'.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:18 PM

I was in nearly this exact situation quite recently. I had a 2009 Corolla. A good, reliable, practical car, but honestly I was getting somewhat bored with it. I had been yearning for a sports car for a while. Then, long story short, about two months ago it ran low on coolant which I failed to notice until it was too late, toasted the engine, and repairs would have extremely expensive. I took this as a sign from the universe that I should get that sports car. So now I'm the proud owner of a 2019 MX-5/Miata. So in other words, my vote is get something completely different.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:50 PM

They don't make my car anymore (2005 Scion xA), so as much as I'd like to, I couldn't replace it with the same car. But I'd try to find something as equivalent as possible, as it is still the ideal vehicle for my situation.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

What do I answer if I've already moved on to the bicycle option?
Old 05-18-2019, 07:03 PM

I said, "Something completely else." But I should have said, "I buy something else. The Universe clearly wants me to have something different!" They don't make my model of thing anymore and it wasn't a particularly good thing to start with.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
What do I answer if I've already moved on to the bicycle option?
Why, you talk about the insane, all-carbon-with-unobtanium-shifters-and-frictionless-hubs bike you'd build with car-level money, of course!

Or, what you'd do with the $10k-$20k this hypothetical represents for the average person...if it's not being spent on a replacement car, what DO you spend the money on?

Kudos for being full-bike, btw; I try to bike into work when weather permits, and manage maybe 3 days a week, but when weather doesn't permit or I have errands to run, I'm pretty happy I own the car!
Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 PM

I don't drive, so it's even more hypothetical for me, but...on the principle of the thing...

Given the 'not already looking for a replacement' part of the OP... I'd get a newer version of the same kind... Probably. I'd check if the Chryslus Corvega took a dip in quality in the years after my old one, but assuming it didn't suddenly start spontaneously exploding or something, my satisfaction with the one I had would prompt me to carry over - I have loyalty when it's rewarded.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:55 PM

I have a 2013 Focus ST that I bought used. I love it, but you only own so many cars your lifetime so I'd probably get something different.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I currently drive a 2000 Suzuki Esteem, so any other car on the road would be an improvement. I would get the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. Good for carrying supplies to far-off conventions and other events without blowing the budget on fuel.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I replaced my 2004 Escape with a 2017 Escape, so I'd just get the latest Escape. I am brand loyal (dad worked at Ford).
Old 05-20-2019, 02:08 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Crushed by a satellite? Dude, I just had a new windshield put in!

I'd get this year's model but the same car in the same color. I love my Rogue.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:30 PM

I like my Ford plug in cmax, but it's kind of a lemon. I get something else. In fact, I'm shopping for something else now. (But I've been shopping for a year or more, so don't held your breath.)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
I stand alone at the top. Less miles would be nice and maybe a year or two newer but not much. Not too long after we got ours Subaru started adding things as "basic" that don't interest me; what I would call gizmos. I want a clutch, rear defroster, fairly good CD sound system, and that is about it. My car need to go, be reliable, and handle snow; I do not want entertainment or social connections. The voices in my head provide enough of both.
^ This. I'm dreading having to get a new car because of all of the latest 'enhancements'. Of course, I work from home in the snow & don't get cabin fever between the fatty & the snowshoe(s).
That being said, I tend to buy new & keep 'em. Don't have to worry about how someone else drove it & how badly they beat it up. I only have a couple of requirements for a car, but it's amazing how few vehicles are built that meet those requirements.

I'd look at what's out there that's new, but could be talked into my same car again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textual Innuendo View Post
Why, you talk about the insane, all-carbon-with-unobtanium-shifters-and-frictionless-hubs bike you'd build with car-level money, of course!

Or, what you'd do with the $10k-$20k this hypothetical represents for the average person...if it's not being spent on a replacement car, what DO you spend the money on?
I just, quickly, priced out a bike at slightly > $13m. (Bianchi w/ Campy Super Record EPS) Picked the default wheels ($2m) but might want a different, more expensive set. Of course, that's like pricing out a Ferrari or other super car.