View Poll Results: My "downward" arm is:
Tucked under my head. 65 41.40%
My forearm is facing my face. 32 20.38%
My arm points more or less straight out. 17 10.83%
My arm points more or less down toward my legs. 17 10.83%
Other. Behind me. Sticking up in the air. I only have one arm. Etc. 26 16.56%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2019, 11:34 AM

A poll for people that sleep on their sides.

If you sleep on your side, what do you do with your arm that is on the bed?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I tuck it.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:44 AM

I tuck it, but I found it's more comfortable if I tuck my hand under the pillow instead of directly under my head.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Usually tucked under my pillow (and, thus, my head), though sometimes it ends up tucked between my knees.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:06 PM

More or less straight out, but a variation: I like the forearm/wrist raised above the bed slightly, supported by a small bunched up wad of sheet/blanket. Feels more comfortable than just straight out.

Last edited by BrickBat; 05-13-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Down toward my legs.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:27 PM

When I'm on my left side, my arm is tucked under the pillow. On my right side, my forearm faces my face. I've tried arm tucked under on my right, or arm facing face on my left, and it's very uncomfortable. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
When I'm on my left side, my arm is tucked under the pillow. On my right side, my forearm faces my face. I've tried arm tucked under on my right, or arm facing face on my left, and it's very uncomfortable. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
I was just coming in to say something similar - it depends on what side I'm sleeping on. Sleeping on my left I tend to have my arm hanging out more or less straight, but have an occasional tendency to have it pulled up and to then slump my head onto my shoulder which is a neck/shoulder pain creator. Sleeping on my right just lately I've been tucking my arm in and unconsciously cupping my face with my hand, which leads to a sore, stiff hand. I can't win .

I've been trying to break both of those odd sleeping habits when I'm drifting off.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:39 PM

I voted other, because it varies.

I think most common is wrapped around my head and facing me; but sometimes it's tucked under my head, or under the pillow; and occasionally it's stretched straight out for a while.

And sometimes it's wrapped around a cat.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:44 PM

I voted other because I tuck it under my pillow.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:09 PM

Both hands tucked under my pillow, kept safe from playful cats.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:16 PM

Hands together tucked under my head; like an angel. Around here we refer to it as sleeping with "puppy paws"
Old 05-13-2019, 02:17 PM

...why are you assuming that I sleep in a fixed position? I move around. A lot. I flip sides but I also wiggle, kick the blankets off, etc. I'm the kind of sleeper which makes it clear why some married couples prefer twin beds to a large one.

Where my arm atop the mattress goes depends among other things on whether I have a decent pillow or not, on the temperature and on which side I'm facing. With a decent pillow and a comfortable temperature, it will be anywhere between "straight down in front of my body", "folded so that the hand is somewhere ahead of my shoulder/head" and "pretty much straight out, dangling over the side" (this last version is of course not available if I'm facing the wall). With a pillow designed for flat-sleepers, it's going to be under the pillow, trying to prevent that crick in my neck

Last edited by Nava; 05-13-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:30 PM

How would I know, I'm asleep? Seriously, I move around in my sleep and have no idea what I'm doing.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I spoon the pillow. (And have another pillow between my legs to keep the back aligned.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:39 PM

I'm a mover. My hands and arms are all over the place. I lay down with the intention of one arm under the pillow my heads on. It never stays there. I'm a fetal position sleeper when I'm deeply asleep, so my arms are tucked into my chest area.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I spoon the pillow. (And have another pillow between my legs to keep the back aligned.
similar to this, I hug the body pillow that is also wedged between my knees
Old 05-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

I switch, constantly.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:08 PM

I voted "Other," as well, because I have several different ways of doing this. On my left side, my left arm is usually straight. If The Big Crow's pillow is close enough, I'll tuck my hand under it and pinch a bit of the case between my fingers. Also, I generally tuck my right hand under my left elbow.

On my right side, my right arm is usually straight, jutting out over the edge of the bed. If the arthritis in my wrist is acting up , this gets uncomfortable fast. So I fold my arms across my upper chest, with my hands on either side of my neck.

The Big Crow bought this bed long before I came into the picture. Frankly, it's not comfortable for a side sleeper like me. I usually wind up spending most of the night on my back.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
I tuck it, but I found it's more comfortable if I tuck my hand under the pillow instead of directly under my head.
This is me, but I voted "forearm facing my face" because I figured that meant "face facing my forearm", which is basically what it is. My pillow sticks out beyond my face a bit, and my hand goes under the distant edge of it, bent 90 degrees or so at the elbow.

Regarding lying on that arm, I actually have two pillows under my head and one pillow under my torso to create something of a ramp, with a space left between the pillows at shoulder level to form a canyon for my arm to rest in.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:13 PM

I used to sleep with my arm (wrist, really) tucked between my knees, but I started to have a long-term tingling sensation in my fingers. I was pretty alarmed about this development, but my doctor randomly asked me how I slept and when I changed my habit, the tingling went away. I'm glad he asked me because I never would have connected those two things.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Usually tucked under my pillow (and, thus, my head), though sometimes it ends up tucked between my knees.
This.

(tucked between kenobi's knees)

mmm
Old 05-13-2019, 06:40 PM

I was torn between "forearm facing my face" and other. Usually my arms are both curled around a blanket, and more or less folded against my chest.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
...why are you assuming that I sleep in a fixed position?
??? The poll is for people who sleep on their sides. It's in the thread title. If you're not one, why complain about the OP's assumptions?

To answer the OP, I have an unusual situation (I chose 'other') in that the head of my mattress is just a bit pushed away from the wall (no headboard), plus I have a mattress topper. Since I sleep on my right side, this setup lets me slip my right elbow down into the small comfy niche between the memory foam topper/mattress layers and the wall. It's really helpful for both supporting the arm and putting no strain on my muscle, not to mention letting my spine be relatively straightish.

I think I've seen wedge-shaped pillows that pretty much mimic my setup (letting you slip your arm into a pre-cut hole in the wedge) without needing the mattress niche.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:21 AM

I do sleep on my sideS, but I keep changing position; while it is always on my side, my position and therefore the position of my arm are not fixed. In fact, which side (and, therefore, which arm) are not fixed. "I sleep on my side" and "I do not sleep in a fixed position" are not contradictory. You apparently managed to miss the whole rest of that line.

Last edited by Nava; 05-14-2019 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:57 AM
born to be shunned

I went head but usually its more under my neck or with my hand under my face and the arm folded out at an angle.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
This.

mmm
"Those aren't pillows!"
Old 05-14-2019, 08:08 AM

I voted forearm, because that's maaaaybe most common? But the real answer is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
...why are you assuming that I sleep in a fixed position? I move around. A lot. I flip sides but I also wiggle, kick the blankets off, etc. I'm the kind of sleeper which makes it clear why some married couples prefer twin beds to a large one.

Where my arm atop the mattress goes depends among other things on whether I have a decent pillow or not, on the temperature and on which side I'm facing. With a decent pillow and a comfortable temperature, it will be anywhere between "straight down in front of my body", "folded so that the hand is somewhere ahead of my shoulder/head" and "pretty much straight out, dangling over the side" (this last version is of course not available if I'm facing the wall). With a pillow designed for flat-sleepers, it's going to be under the pillow, trying to prevent that crick in my neck
Also, while I usually sleep on my side, I also sometimes sleep on my belly or even my back.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:20 AM

My arms are folded across my chest, with my lower hand tucked into my upper armpit. I've noted when I've seen pictures or reflections in a mirror that it looks terribly uncomfortable, with my wrist bent at what seems like an awkward angle. I actually find it quite cozy, though, on eirher side.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Mostly with my arm straight out under my 'arm' pillow, and the other arm straight out on top of my arm pillow. I sleep with 5 pillows: head pillow, arm pillow on each side, leg pillow on each side. When I turn over, I already have the necessary pillows for my arms and legs to rest on/under.

If I don't use the arm pillow, I lay on my arm too much and too hard, resulting in a numb arm and eventual pins and needles. That will ruin an already iffy night of sleep.

Sometimes I find myself with my arm bent and hand under my pillow or cupping my face. This usually makes my my arm go numb, pins and needles, waking up. I try not to start my night that way.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:57 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
He's not nearly as mean as his user name would lead you to believe.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Tucked under my pillow. (Which in turn is under my head, but it's not the same thing.)
Old 05-14-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
This is me too! I always start out on my right side with my right arm kind of wrapped in front of me sometimes holding my left shoulder. If/when I switch to my left side I move my pillow kind of long-ways with my left arm under it and my right arm hugging it. I cannot switch those positions. Like you said, very uncomfortable.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:35 AM

I assume I move around through the night but my "settling in" position has my arm tucked between the two stacked pillows under my head. So I chose Option #1.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:57 PM

I sleep with my blanket over my head. I wrap it around my eyes and poke my nose and mouth out to breathe, then hold the blanket shut at my chin. Which means that my arms are curled up at my chin. I think. I never actually gave that much conscious thought to the exact position that I sleep in, so if I go to sleep tonight and discover I was wrong, I will probably feel compelled to update this thread again tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:19 PM

I am clutching a big teddy bear. I had always used a pillow but my kid got this huge bear about 10 years ago and I found it was the perfect size for my arm, plus it was firm and never went flat. I've been cuddling that Harmony Care Bear since that day. Now I have trouble sleeping without it.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:14 PM

For me it varies. Sometimes tucked directly under my head, sometimes under the pillow, sometimes at my side - either straight out, or elbow bent. I do whatever feels most comfortable on any given night.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 PM

What are these "head" and "leg" things of which you speak?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:52 PM

I've recently started sleeping with my arms crossed across my chest, while on my left side at least, which is the most comfortable side and the side I spend the most time sleeping on.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:09 PM

I find that I pull my pillow up between my shoulder and my head so that my neck is straight, my shoulder is on the mattress, my upper arm points down around 7 on a clock, my elbow bends and my forearm points somewhere around 11 on the clock. I move around a lot, and sometimes sleep on my stomach, but when I move to my side, that is where the arm goes.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:02 AM

Usually my arm is bent so my hand is in front of my shoulder, but if I'm cuddling with my partner I may need to move my arm to be behind me so it's not in her face.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
What are these "head" and "leg" things of which you speak?
Do Robot Arms get pins and needles when they wake up?
Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
... I never actually gave that much conscious thought to the exact position that I sleep in, so if I go to sleep tonight and discover I was wrong, I will probably feel compelled to update this thread again tomorrow.
I voted wrong. I went to bed last night with my arm tucked under my head. Well, the upper arm, anyway. The end of the arm moved around from "mostly above my head" to "mostly in front of my face".
Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 PM

Delete

Last edited by Mrs_Ducky; 05-15-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
This is me, too!
Old 05-16-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
If you sleep on your side, what do you do with your arm that is on the bed?
Why on earth are you interested?

My forearm faces my face, BTW.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Other. I "hug myself" when I sleep. So, my "lower" arm is wrapped around my upper body, my hand on my neck or opposite shoulder.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Why on earth are you interested?

My forearm faces my face, BTW.
Because I suffer from frequent shoulder pain and I want to see what works for other people.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:28 AM

On my right side, forearm across my chest, right hand straight up in the air, left arm drapes down over the right arm with my left hand resting on my right elbow. I could probably be kept awake indefinitely if held on my left side.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:33 AM

Both arms wrapped around a hugging pillow, shift to other side halfway through the night.

Just saw an ad on tv for a pillow with a hole for the arm to go through, so it won't get pins and needles for sleeping on it. Saw it while I was doing something else, so I didn't get name of pillow, but maybe you can do a search for it.