Old 05-11-2019, 09:34 PM

Wait, they're playing in the Mile High City, right? 4th Quarter?
Old 05-11-2019, 11:57 PM

Good news for the Lakers - they hired Frank Vogel. The bad news is Jason Kidd might get a third crack at being a head coach if something happens to him.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Ho-Lee Shit! Portland comes back from 17 down to win it. And Lillard was off his game!

Last edited by Chefguy; 05-12-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:34 PM

Congratulations, Chefguy! I'm pulling for your guys to beat the Warriors in the Conference Finals!

Last edited by ekedolphin; 05-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Congratulations, Chefguy! I'm pulling for your guys to beat the Warriors in the Conference Finals!
Quite a game, considering most of the first half was a disaster. Something like four turnovers for both teams, which is astounding. I was glad to see Stotts finally putting Myers Leonard on Jokic. He handled that assignment well.

From what I've read, Durant could be out for another week. On the other side of things, Rodney Hood sustained a hyper-extended knee late in this game, so he might be out for the first game. Also, GS has had a bit of extra rest. The Blazers could give them a good run, though. But now they're up against a team for whom the finals is old hat.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

There is joy in Mudville. The drama as the ball bounced around before dropping was unbelievable.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I was just saying, I'd like to see the heat map of people rooting for the Warriors vs Blazers across the U.S. I suspect the Bay Area is s pocket of Warriors, and the rest of the country is pulling for the Blazers.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
There is joy in Mudville. The drama as the ball bounced around before dropping was unbelievable.
That ending was almost corny. If it were a Hollywood movie, you’d roll your eyes. But it actually happened! First game 7 buzzer-beater.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:31 AM

A real nail-biter in Toronto as they eke out game 7 with a 92-90 win.
With 4.2 seconds left on the clock, Kawhi had to scramble around the perimeter and then suddenly turn the corner to quickly shoot a far two-point jumper (just before the buzzer went), that bounced one, two, three, and then a fourth and final time, off different parts of the rim, before slowly dribbling in. It couldn't have been a more suspended-in-time-bucket, and right at the end-buzzer, to win it. Nuts.
Horrible offensive game for both teams, with blown open looks a-go-go, but defensively sound. The first three quarters were some of Kawhi's weaker showings in the play-offs, though he still contributed seven rebounds and then in the fourth quarter finished with a strong 15 points for 41 by the end of the game.
Thank-you, Kawhi, for offensively carrying the load again.
Redick was the only truly threatening Sixer out there, and Butler had a late run, but the Raptors were lucky the Sixers weren't shooting well tonight, ultimately.
Embiid was looking gassed towards the end.
Nice seeing Ibaka potting some threes.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:53 AM

For the 5th season in a row, it's "Anyone but the Warriors" for me.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
You rooted against the Warriors for their first championship?
Old 05-13-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdash View Post
Hating the team that drafted their championship core and plays team-first basketball is the cool thing to do.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
A real nail-biter in Toronto as they eke out game 7 with a 92-90 win.
With 4.2 seconds left on the clock, Kawhi had to scramble around the perimeter and then suddenly turn the corner to quickly shoot a far two-point jumper (just before the buzzer went), that bounced one, two, three, and then a fourth and final time, off different parts of the rim, before slowly dribbling in. It couldn't have been a more suspended-in-time-bucket, and right at the end-buzzer, to win it.
I'm not much of a basketball fan, but I am a former Torontonian, and I cheer for Toronto teams, and I watched the game.

It was an edge-of-your-seat-game. That last bouncing around was something else. And when the ball finally dropped through the basket--what a thrill! Good luck in your next series, Raptors!
Old 05-13-2019, 06:20 AM

Guest, I agree Embiid was looking tired at the end, but I’d give the man more credit than you did — he played really well and hard throughout the game, both offensively and defensively. He can even accurately bounce pass in traffic like a Lithuanian!

I’m not just saying this because we were Jayhawks together. (referring to the KU student body, not the basketball team).

Last edited by JKellyMap; 05-13-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
That ending was almost corny. If it were a Hollywood movie, you’d roll your eyes. But it actually happened! First game 7 buzzer-beater.
I read this this morning. Doesn't that amaze anyone, that a Game 7 buzzer beater has never happened before? I mean, there have been a lot of Game 7s. Hell, Vince Carter just missed one, for the Raptors, against the Sixers. I figured SOMEONE had actually made that shot at some point before now.

Kawhi Leonard scored 243 points in the series against the Sixers. Here is a list of all players in the last 25 years who have scored that many points in a 7-game series:

1. Kawhi Leonard, 2019, Raptors vs Sixers
Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Hell, Vince Carter just missed one, for the Raptors, against the Sixers.
Doesn’t really feel like it, but that was 18 years ago.

The winner of that series also went on to play Milwaukee in the conference finals.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:39 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

The question that I have now, is what will it take for Kawhi to re-sign with the Raptors? Is it a given that he is gone, no matter what happens?

Last edited by Ike Witt; 05-13-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
The question that I have now, is what will it take for Kawhi to re-sign with the Raptors? Is it a given that he is gone, no matter what happens?
Who really knows, except maybe Kawhi?

If he wants to live in California, there’s nothing Toronto can do to compete with that. If he wants to win, the Raptors are still a team that has the potential, especially in the east.

Personally, I’m just enjoying the ride while it happens. This has been a hell of a season.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Guest, I agree Embiid was looking tired at the end, but I’d give the man more credit than you did — he played really well and hard throughout the game, both offensively and defensively.
Yeah I realise 21 points and 11 rebounds are nothing to sneeze at (despite 27 ppg was his season average) - but that that does not discount the fact that gassing out toward the end of the game (yeah I get the recent illness and knee tendinitis issue) is not a reassuring recipe for success if they wanted to succeed in the next round.

Speaking of next round, I'm definitely not putting money on the Raps taking the Bucks. TO will definitely require A LOT more from their bench if they want to even think of beating Milwaukee.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Game one is tomorrow night. The Blazers split the regular game series with GS, so this could be a good series.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
No one knows. I believe Toronto can actually offer him more money than anyone else can, but there is little indication of whether that matters to Leonard. It may be that the Raptors getting past Milwaukee would influence him. He may have already decided to leave, or to stay. He's inscrutable and won't tell anyone. If he leaves, they'll have a shit-ton of money to spend on someone else if they want to.

Toronto, of course, absolutely knew he might leave; they were only counting on one season, but were deliberately taking a shot at actually making a Finals. So far it was a pretty good decision. They have never had a playoff performer like this.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I was rooting against the Warriors as far back as 2013, so yeah. Plus, wanting the Cavs to win titles.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:07 AM

I can't help but notice that in an interview last night, Kawhi said something along the lines of "I knew that this could potentially be my last game (pause) for about five months, so I decided to leave it all on the court." I can't help but wonder if he was thinking "my last game in Toronto" before course-correcting.

But anyway, enough depressing thoughts, on to the Eastern Conference finals. With no Lebron in the way! Just that small issue of Giannis.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Isn’t it nice that Kawhi decided to leave it all on the court, for those particular reasons?
Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Hating the team that drafted their championship core and plays team-first basketball is the cool thing to do.
Good one!

Now without KD, they’re back to team-first basketball. I think, if KD played in game 6, that the Rockets likely would’ve won that game. The Warriors aren’t necessarily better without KD, but they are back to team-first basketball without him.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Man, I knew the Nuggets were running on fumes but I was pretty confident about Game 7 at home. Even though Jokic is their bet player, they go as Jamal Murray goes. And he wasn't going well. Hard to believe there were only 6 three point shots made by both teams combined. And Denver's only 2 were made by the friggin' center (Jokic). Ah well, congrats to the Blazers and good luck against GSW. I'll be rooting for you.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:41 PM

Congratulations to Chefguy and his Blazers. I hope you guys kick the snot out of the Warriors, and leave their bandwagon fans feeling like all of those people who'd named their newborns, "Daenerys."

(I still think it'll be Warriors in 5, but a guy's gotta' dream.)
Old 05-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Only four teams left, and Nate Silver still has the Blazers with a <1% chance of winning the title! Hopefully the Blazers will draw motivation from everyone writing them off.

Great game last night, anyway.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Just to be accurate, the Golden State Warriors' first championship was in 1975 when Rick Barry and company swept the Washington Bullets.

The 2015 Warriors championship was over an undermanned Cleveland team playing without injured Kyrie Erving. I like to thnk the counrty was rooting for my Cavs. The Warriors's 2018 and 2018 champioships were well deserved certainly.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:46 PM

Yeah, that CARMELO prediction on 538 just seems weird. It gives Portland an 11% shot to make the finals, but it must be 9% or worse for them to win the finals themselves, to end up at <1%. If you switch to the ELO model, it gives Portland a 14% overall chance at the title, which is more reasonable.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:04 AM

Hoping for Bucks-Blazers...
Old 05-14-2019, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

I'm starting the countdown to when Green loses his shit. I'm betting it will be Zach Collins who sends him into a frothing rage.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:08 PM

So, who y'all rooting for to win tonight's Draft Lottery?

I'd like to see Atlanta or Phoenix get it. I will never root for New York (I'm a Pacers fan), Cleveland has already had its time dominating the conference, and Chicago has already won six championships.

Fuck me if the 76ers cash in their 1% chance.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
So, who y'all rooting for to win tonight's Draft Lottery?

I'd like to see Atlanta or Phoenix get it. I will never root for New York (I'm a Pacers fan), Cleveland has already had its time dominating the conference, and Chicago has already won six championships.

Fuck me if the 76ers cash in their 1% chance.
Now that Donald Sterling is out of the NBA, Robert Sarver is the poster child for 'shitty NBA team owner's. Though that's really because he's cheap, and not a virulent racist. So screw him. I agree with the rest of your logic. Why not Atlanta? Though I wouldn't mind seeing the Kings win it. Or NY, for the lolz.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:13 PM

I would have liked the Kings to have won too. Going to the Pelicans. Trade rumors will be flying like crazy the next several weeks.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I try to root for the team that has shown the least ineptness and at least has some desire to win. That certainly isn't New Orleans, but this certainly makes this whole Anthony Davis nonsense a bit more interesting. I guess congratulations Zion, on languishing in New Orleans for the foreseeable future. I can't think of a more boring destination.

Without the 1st pick, I don't see how New York gets Anthony Davis aside from shelling out a boatload of future picks (which they are probably dumb enough to do). I'd never trust Davis to stay without an extension, so I don't think I"d ever trade for him, but that's just me.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:40 PM

Definitely rooting for philly to get it because maximum chaos.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Definitely rooting for philly to get it because maximum chaos.
It's New Orleans. Memphis second, New York third, LA Lakers fourth. Of those four teams, only the Knicks were one of the teams expected to finish in the top three. The others moved up.

LeBron tweeted that he's very pleased with getting the fourth pick.

According to this, Anthony Davis still wants out of New Orleans. I'm floored by that. He must really want to go to New York.

Perhaps the Pelicans will trade Davis to the Knicks for the third pick, which they'd use to draft either Ja Morant or Zion's Duke teammate R.J. Barrett?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Portland embarrassed themselves in game one. Bad defense, huge turnover problem, neither of the star guards hitting their shots. When Harkless is the top scorer into the 4th quarter, something is very wrong.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:21 PM

When the Warriors are 17-33 from deep, it's pretty tough to beat them no matter how well Dame and C.J. play. But you're right, not an impressive showing.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's New Orleans. Memphis second, New York third, LA Lakers fourth. Of those four teams, only the Knicks were one of the teams expected to finish in the top three. The others moved up.

LeBron tweeted that he's very pleased with getting the fourth pick.

According to this, Anthony Davis still wants out of New Orleans. I'm floored by that. He must really want to go to New York.

Perhaps the Pelicans will trade Davis to the Knicks for the third pick, which they'd use to draft either Ja Morant or Zion's Duke teammate R.J. Barrett?
I do not, for the life of me understand why New Orleans needs to kowtow to the Knicks. There are a myriad of teams with better assets than the Knicks and unless Davis has a no trade, really has no say. I understand that they get more value from a team that can re-sign him, but do you really trust Davis at his word at this point? The Lakers have even less assets (in my opinion) so I’m inclined to make Davis play for the season unless they get a mind blowing offer, which a three pick and one of the Knick crap players isn’t.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:54 PM

It's been reported that the Knicks and Lakers are the only two teams that Anthony Davis would sign an extension with, if he's traded. I suppose the Pelicans don't have to trade him right away, but the Pelicans better get Davis in a re-signing kind of mood before the trade deadline, or they risk losing him for nothing. That would be a disaster for the Pels.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:03 PM

If Kawhi exits from TO, I wonder if they might vie for Davis too.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:38 PM

Stupidly-way-after-the-fact-edit - I wouldn't be surprised that if Kawhi happened to exit from the Raps, that it would catch AD's attention, regardless of the latter's currently favoured destinations.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I'm guessing that the Bucks finally roused themselves from their torpor in the 4th quarter? I didn't watch the game, but was checking in from time-to-time on the score. I quit checking after the third quarter and was really surprised to see that they had rallied to win.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:30 AM

It seemed more like the Raptors fell apart, but I wasn't able to watch too closely. No Raptor other than Lowry made a shot in the entire 4th quarter. On one hand it's encouraging that the Raptors played such a competitive game on the road, but on the other hand it kind of feels like this was their shot to steal one.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Indeed, if they lose Game 2, they will rue Game 1.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by JohnT; 05-16-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:13 PM

Amazing how - seemingly at the flick of a switch - Bucks fans can go from the loudest in the NBA to an absolute library.
The suddenness is almost creepy.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:36 PM

Damn, that was one Portland should have taken. It's an uphill climb now.