Old 05-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Fair question.

I can already see the cries of "racist!", but as homogenized as Hawaii is with it's multi-ethic mix, there's a still an "Us", kama'aina (those who were born or lived here for an extended period here) and "Them", malahine (newcomers) attitude. It has nothing to do with race or color. I have cousins who were born and raised in the mainland who are "mainlanders".

I've been slammed on a couple of other threads for discussing how in Hawaii we make fun of different races or malahine, but it's in good spirits without intent to hurt or harm, and is what allows us to live together. It was in this spirit that I posted: "If you ask for flip-flops, you've outed yourself as a mainlander."
When Mrs. L.A. was a little girl, ethnic Hawaiian kids would beat her up every day for being a haole.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:16 PM

I'm sorry she experienced that. As much of a melting pot Hawaii is, it's still got racism problems.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:06 PM

I know them as flip flops and I know they're horrible for your feet https://www.webmd.com/beauty/feature...eat-for-feet#1
Old 05-15-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

I grew up calling them zories because my family lived in Japan when I was young (very: we left when I was 1 year old). I never knew and am surprised to hear there were pockets of the US where the term was common.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
When Mrs. L.A. was a little girl, ethnic Hawaiian kids would beat her up every day for being a haole.
Sorry to hear about your wife's experiences. Just as everywhere, there's good people and bad. I'm thankful that the majority of kids/people I've known have been generally good.

It wasn't until a few years ago, so nearly 50 years had passed that I found my 3rd grade school picture and to my surprise there was a white kid in my class. I vaguely remember him and while he wasn't a good friend, as far I can remember no one treated him any different.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:46 AM

Never heard them called zōri in the US, including the 3Ė4 years I lived in San Diego. No idea who the earlier poster was hanging out with, but nobody I knew in SD called them anything but flip-flops or sandals. Given West Pac base cross-pollination, itís not unlikely that military personnel posted in Hawaii adopted it, but mainland San Diegans didnít seem to use the term, even if they did weird shit like pronounce Diamond (near Emerald and Ruby streets downtown) as Dee-a-mond.

In Japanese, the link posted by the OP could be called 草履 zōri, but anything without straw (either actual or simulated) would be called サンダル sanídaru。 If you look in a Japanese-English dictionary, theoretically flip-flops could be called ゴム草履 gomu-zōri (lit. rubber zōri) but Iíve never personally heard anyone in the Kanto area call them that.

I think Johnny L.A.ís family overgeneralized/cross-adopted a Japanese word in an idiosyncratic way, which happens quite often with a handful of common terms. You wouldnít believe the number of English speakers who adopt 元気 genki (healthy, happy, energetic, ďupĒ, etc.) even when otherwise mostly opposed to mixing languages just because itís lexicographically so damn useful to have a word with wide meaning and application that English doesnít have a home-grown version of, or hasnít already stolen from another language.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
I can already see the cries of "racist!",(snip)
I've been slammed on a couple of other threads for discussing how in Hawaii we make fun of different races or malahine, but it's in good spirits without intent to hurt or harm,

Though I'm pretty much still a malihini, I get where you are coming from. There is an anecdote in Judy Rohrer's book, "Haoles in Hawaii" where she talks about a California student who comes to study at UH, and is deeply offended at being called a haole. Of course the locals think she's being silly; Hawaiians of all ethnicities and attitudes tend to have a much more laid-back (and probably healthier) approach to ethnic differences.

Of course, the SDMB isn't Hawaii. To the extent that you can be sensitive to and respectful of other attitudes, and explain where you are coming from (literally and figuratively), you bring a useful perspective. Still, it doesn't hurt to stay aware that what you say can be interpreted differently in different contexts. That's why I thought it was interesting to ask about your "outing as a mainlander" comment. Mahalo for answering.

Last edited by CairoCarol; 05-16-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:33 AM

Thank you for your comment and insight. I write as I speak and have come to see many of the regulars here as casual friends and forget that many wouldn't understand my sense of local humor. I'll keep your post in mine in my future posts.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleel View Post
I think Johnny L.A.ís family overgeneralized/cross-adopted a Japanese word in an idiosyncratic way...
It's not just my family. When I was growing up, the rubber 'shower shoes' were commonly called 'zories'.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
It's not just my family. When I was growing up, the rubber 'shower shoes' were commonly called 'zories'.
I only remember the bamboo ones as being called that, but then again it was a long time ago. I only recently remembered that I grew up saying "pop" and only changed to "soda" when I moved to FL.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:25 PM

I wear sandals around the house but back when I was younger, we called them thongs. I remember Pops mentioning zoris when I was a teen but I can't remember if the context was that that was what they called them when he was a kid or that some people called them that. He grew up in Detroit.

I'm pretty sure that I became aware of the term "flip-flop" through Jimmy Buffet's song Margaritaville, so late '70's or thereabouts.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Was the racist name "J-F?"
Yes it was!