Old 03-20-2019, 12:21 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
Nooo! Not Clay Matthews! -- sad to see Cobb go, but losing the Claymaker (even if he was more of a Clayunderperformer last season) still hurts.
Yeah, but I totally expected the Packers to part ways with Clay. He hasn't been the same player for a couple of years now, and I've been thinking it's just a matter of time until his body gives out entirely.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:30 PM

Really, though, Matthews impending departure was pretty clearly telegraphed when he no longer kept appearing in Aaron Rodgers' State Farm commercials.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:52 PM

Matthews is old and slow. It's going to be like having AJ Hawk all over again.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Matthews is old and slow. It's going to be like having AJ Hawk all over again.
Except AJ Hawk was the only one on the damn team who could tackle back then, so he at least had SOME value.

Clay's been a shell of his former self for years and it was definitely time to part ways. I'll never forget what he did for the team in his hayday years and the absolute shock when Ted Thompson actually traded UP to gets someone...but his time has come and gone.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Except AJ Hawk was the only one on the damn team who could tackle back then, so he at least had SOME value.

Clay's been a shell of his former self for years and it was definitely time to part ways. I'll never forget what he did for the team in his hayday years and the absolute shock when Ted Thompson actually traded UP to gets someone...but his time has come and gone.
Oops. To clarify, since I am a Bengals fan, I meant the AJ Hawk we got after his tenure with the Pack...definitely old, white and slow.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Rob Gronkowski is retiring. He maybe could have squeezed one more playoff season out of that always-injured body, but nobody can blame him. Remarkably, he has never spent a penny of the money he made in the NFL, living entirely off his endorsements, and next on his TV and film royalties. And there's never been an athlete who was more fun to cheer for.

Brady will still be playing when he introduces Gronk at his Hall of Fame ceremony.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:40 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Wide receiver Jordy Nelson is reportedly retiring. He'd spent 2018 with the Raiders, after being cut by the Packers last spring, but the Raiders had cut him earlier this month after they'd acquired Antonio Brown.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/27/jo...eceiver-career
Old 04-01-2019, 10:36 AM

Bears made an interesting announcement about their jerseys for their 100th year in the NFL:

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/be...erseys-in-2019
Old 04-01-2019, 11:46 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Bears made an interesting announcement about their jerseys for their 100th year in the NFL:

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/be...erseys-in-2019
Check your calendar.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Check your calendar.
Yep

Although if you think about it, NFL would totally be all in favor of this. Another chance to sell a whole new batch of jerseys? Yes please!

The Bears even updated the numbers on their roster page for this:

https://www.chicagobears.com/team/players-roster/
Old 04-01-2019, 02:37 PM

I’m sure the Cardinals are unimpressed, since they date back to 1898 as the Morgan Athletic Club.

The Packers also started in 1919, so they’d be eligible for a centennial celebration as well if this were not a joke.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:21 PM

Cardinals missed out -- they could have worn maroon and called themselves the Racine Normals for their 1998 season.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:04 PM

This article about the failings of Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay is quite a read: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...d-in-green-bay

Very in-depth and with a lot of sources.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
This article about the failings of Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay is quite a read: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...d-in-green-bay

Very in-depth and with a lot of sources.
I briefly glanced at that today without really reading it. From first blush it sounds like there are some serious sour grapes between McCarthy and the GM of the team based on the how, why and when McCarthy was fired.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:36 PM

everyone thinks gronks gonna go to the wwe…….
Old 04-08-2019, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Wow, there’s a lot of smoke still about Rosen being traded to the Redskins, most recently by Peter King. I admire King, he doesn’t post crap just for clicks being a big name.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:20 PM

SB Nation says the Redskins, Giants, Dolphins, and Chargers are all interested:
https://www.thephinsider.com/2019/4/...nfl-draft-2019
Old 04-15-2019, 01:33 PM

Craziness going down in Seattle.

A few weeks ago, word was that a new extension for Wilson was eminent. Then rumors started spreading that Wilson wanted to go somewhere else. Now, word is that if a deal doesn't get done today, this is Wilson's last year with the Seahawks.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:59 PM

I think without Wilson, the Seahawks would struggle to make the playoffs. He is really good, good enough to make up for some problems they’ve had over the years (bad OL, RB troubles after Marshawn left, unproductive TEs, and so on). If he leaves, then I think there will be a whole new appreciation of just how great he is and how much the team needed him.

Which I’m sure he’s well aware of, and why he is comfortable pushing this hard.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I think without Wilson, the Seahawks would struggle to make the playoffs. He is really good, good enough to make up for some problems they’ve had over the years (bad OL, RB troubles after Marshawn left, unproductive TEs, and so on). If he leaves, then I think there will be a whole new appreciation of just how great he is and how much the team needed him.

Which I’m sure he’s well aware of, and why he is comfortable pushing this hard.
It's a tough call. He is clearly a top 10 QB, but I wouldn't consider him top 5. His PFF grades the last 4 years were all between 6th and 10th, but his passer rating is pretty damn amazing (career 100.3, second all time). He can win games for your team, and he rarely loses them for you either. He is, to my mind, in that second or third tier of NFL QB's, after Rodgers, Brady, and Brees (and maybe Mahommes?) and around the Rivers/Ryan/Luck area. He's not easily replaceable, and much of his lack of huge passing numbers is the offense Seattle runs and not his fault.

But does that kind of guy deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL (which is where he'll want to be paid, and likely will get in the end)? Is he worth $28 million a year guaranteed or maybe even $30 million? Should he start the trend of paying a QB based on the percentage of the salary cap rather than a specific amount and suck up even more money? If you're not going to use him as teams with elite QB's use theirs, should you really pay him like those teams pay their guys?

That's a much tougher call, I think. I'd likely pay him and skimp elsewhere on the roster, but I would also expect him, if I'm paying him that kind of money, to be not just highly efficient, but dominate too. Which would require a change in the way Seattle runs their offense. Personally, I'd love to see him away from Seattle, and see if he can become an elite QB on a team that will use him properly.

Last edited by Hamlet; 04-15-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
But does that kind of guy deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL (which is where he'll want to be paid, and likely will get in the end)? Is he worth $28 million a year guaranteed or maybe even $30 million? Should he start the trend of paying a QB based on the percentage of the salary cap rather than a specific amount and suck up even more money? If you're not going to use him as teams with elite QB's use theirs, should you really pay him like those teams pay their guys?

That's a much tougher call, I think.
No itís an easy call. The highest paid NFL player at any given time is the franchise QB (the QB a team wants for the foreseeable future) whoís contract is up for renewal. Look at the list of the top 3 highest-paid players from last year, in order from 1-3.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Matt Ryan
3. Jimmy Garoppolo

If youíre not paying him top money then youíre saying heís not a keeper. Thatís how it works in the NFL, for better or worse.

The only exception is Tom Brady, he intentionally lowballs his contracts because he wants to have a better team around him so that he continues to win. I personally think heís smart, because being the star QB of a team that wins every year should pay more in endorsements than sucking up all the cap money on a team that canít afford to give you a decent OL or defense, but nobody else seems to take on that philosophy.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:09 AM

I'd put Wilson above Mahomes easily. I'm attracted to consistent performers, not just those who have done it for only a season or two. RG3 and Kaepernick both looked like franchise quarterbacks, and Kaep got the contract to prove it. Of the big read option quarterbacks, only Wilson managed to transition away from it and still be successful. Should he get Rodgers money? Nah. That's reserved for quarterbacks who come back from broken collarbones or play with broken legs to crush the hopes and dreams of Bears fans. I don't see Seattle topping $30m a year, let alone the $34m+ required to make Wilson the highest paid.

Brady can get away with not demanding so much money, because he's the hobby earner in the household. Giselle is worth a little south of half a billion dollars. The winning is helped by Belichek. Had anyone told me in the run-up to the Super Bowl that the Patriots would only need 10 points to beat the Rams, I'd have laughed. That's not intended to be a dig at Brady, but ol' Billy is a master at turning other teams' castoffs into very good players. Brady's lower cap (not incredibly lower, given his $27m hit this year) is only one part of the equation. And as shown by the championship "drought" of 2005-2015, winning the Super Bowl is hard, even for New England.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
I'd put Wilson above Mahomes easily. I'm attracted to consistent performers, not just those who have done it for only a season or two. RG3 and Kaepernick both looked like franchise quarterbacks, and Kaep got the contract to prove it. Of the big read option quarterbacks, only Wilson managed to transition away from it and still be successful. Should he get Rodgers money? Nah. That's reserved for quarterbacks who come back from broken collarbones or play with broken legs to crush the hopes and dreams of Bears fans. I don't see Seattle topping $30m a year, let alone the $34m+ required to make Wilson the highest paid.
Well, to start Russell is now the highest paid. $35 mill a year, topping Rodgers. And itís good for the Hawks because while thatís huge money now, in a few years when the cap skyrockets with gambling revenue itís going to seem like a bargain.

Russell suffered a high ankle sprain and a left knee sprain on the other leg, and never missed a game, playing with both injuries. And then a pectoral injury as well. All at the same time. Yet he still led the team that year to a division championship, and eventually to the divisional round of the playoffs. So yeah, heís that kind of player.

He doesnít crush the spirit of the Bears, no, but Cody Parkey took care of that last year...
Old 04-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

The NFL truly loves their hype. The schedule comes out tomorrow night and I could really care less. I guess it’s useful for people making travel plans for a game, and hope it’s not flexed, but I’m not sure I need mobile notifications and emails about it.

Last edited by dalej42; 04-16-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:37 PM

Reason number 17 I'm not John Schneider. Number 1 being: "My name isn't John Schneider."
Old 04-16-2019, 12:42 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Reason number 17 I'm not John Schneider. Number 1 being: "My name isn't John Schneider."
Fun fact: John Schneider attended my high school (though he was several years behind me, and he and I weren't there at the same time). I was, and still am, friends with his older sister.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Fun fact: John Schneider attended my high school (though he was several years behind me, and he and I weren't there at the same time). I was, and still am, friends with his older sister.
Thatís honestly pretty cool.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I started an NFL Draft Thread. Feel free to pop in an give us your team needs or wish lists or whatever.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
I started an NFL Draft Thread. Feel free to pop in an give us your team needs or wish lists or whatever.
My wish list is that Sonny Jurgensen and John Riggins would come out of retirement.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
My wish list is that Sonny Jurgensen and John Riggins would come out of retirement.
I don't think even the Redskins are so desperate to start an 84 year old QB and 69 year old RB. Although if it somehow made them money, Daniel Snyder might do it.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:43 PM

Since releasing Cody Parkey, the Bears have worked out 8 kickers who combined for a total of 2 of 8 at their magic 43-yard mark. Now they have traded a conditional pick to the Raiders for a kicker who has never kicked in the NFL and was on IR for all of 2018. I give them a week until they try to sign a kicking mule.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of Rats View Post
Since releasing Cody Parkey, the Bears have worked out 8 kickers who combined for a total of 2 of 8 at their magic 43-yard mark. Now they have traded a conditional pick to the Raiders for a kicker who has never kicked in the NFL and was on IR for all of 2018. I give them a week until they try to sign a kicking mule.
Theyíre gonna need a huge jersey with ďFRANCISĒ written on it.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of Rats View Post
Looking at their roster (and given the kicker woes you've outlined), maybe they shouldn't go with a kicker whose last name sounds like "blew it."
Old 05-15-2019, 11:50 PM

Three weeks after the draft and following an offseason in which he made a bunch of signings, the Jets have fired their GM and appointed Adam Gase as the interim GM. Apparently because he and Gase were at odds. How much sense does this not make? You let him run your draft and spend a bunch of your money and then you can him immediately afterward? Huh?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 PM

If your GM has been doing prep work for the draft all year, it makes sense to let him do what he's been working on all that time before making the switch.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Looking at their roster (and given the kicker woes you've outlined), maybe they shouldn't go with a kicker whose last name sounds like "blew it."
Shhhh.

ďNever interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.Ē - The Art of War
Old 05-16-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Patrick Peterson suspended the first 6 games of the season for PEDs. Just wonderful.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Jamie Collins is back in New England. A tremendous talent from the neck down.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:34 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
If your GM has been doing prep work for the draft all year, it makes sense to let him do what he's been working on all that time before making the switch.
The Jets had a pretty decent draft this year. I guess they were worried people might stop thinking they were totally dysfunctional.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
The Jets had a pretty decent draft this year. I guess they were worried people might stop thinking they were totally dysfunctional.
You hear often about teams staying true to their identity. Kudos to the Jets for sticking with it.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
When watching a movie, do you root for the bad guys?

"Patriots"
I wasn't a fan of the Patriots and T.B. at the beginning of this run of theirs. Not. At. All. But I'm a convert, now. I have no idea how much longer Tom Brady intends to play professional football but I'm honestly pulling for him to win at least one more S.B. before he retires (for good).
Old 05-18-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
Three weeks after the draft and following an offseason in which he made a bunch of signings, the Jets have fired their GM and appointed Adam Gase as the interim GM. Apparently because he and Gase were at odds. How much sense does this not make? You let him run your draft and spend a bunch of your money and then you can him immediately afterward? Huh?
It makes about as much sense as just about anything else the Jets have done over the last, oh, 48 seasons, or so, does. Unfortunately for them.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

A lot of interesting contract talks going to become issues for a lot of teams soon. Is Dak Prescott worth $30 million a year? (The answer is no). Can the Eagles count on Wentz enough to break the bank for him? (Shouldnt, but will). How long until Goff becomes the highest paid player in the NFL? Which teams will overpay average NFL Qb's like Mariota or Winston?

I'm really interested to see if there are teams willing to let "not shitty, but not great) QB's go without breaking the bank for them. Washington wouldn't pay up to keep Cousins last year, and the Eagles let Foles go (Oh, Jacksonville. When will you learn?), maybe this year the Cowboys/Bucs/Titans wont join the "that's just what you have to pay a starting QB" groupthink that can set your team back. And maybe, just maybe, more guys do a Brady and settle for less money to be more competitive with salary caps.
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

Eh, Cousins wasn't staying in Washington after the franchise tag fuckery, even if he got Rodgers' new contract. There was no way for the Eagles to keep Foles AND Wentz, even if they wanted to.

Jared Goff is locked up until 2021, so I'd guess he'll have a new contract by this time next year, assuming he shows progress in reading the defense and proves he's not a system quarterback. I can see him topping $30m a year, but not Prescott, Winston, or Mariota.

When more quarterbacks marry women that are single-digit fractions of billionaires and pull down tens of millions per year in endorsements like Tom Brady, more guys will take less money. This isn't a chase for a legacy for most of these guys, this is setting up themselves and their families for good.

ETA: Given my massive underestimation of Wilson's new contract, all my predictions should be taken with a massive lump of salt.

Last edited by Chisquirrel; Yesterday at 02:45 PM. Reason: Added a nut