Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 04:26 AM

Wanted! City of Heroes Players!

From 18:00 GMT tonight, the legendary heroes Captain Timbob and Kid London will once again be defending the innocent on the streets of Paragon City.

At some point tonight, we want to give the Sister Psyche task force a go, so i figured i'd drop a post here and see if anyone was going to be round tonight who fancied joining us.

Also, I know there are other players here on the boards, but i'm intrigued as to whether there are any other Brits who play the game - since its technically not been released over here yet.

Any players?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:15 AM

I'm afraid that I'll be in class at that time due to the time difference, otherwise I would (though freakshow are not my favorite opponents).

In any case, though, you should probably specify which server it is that you play on.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:33 AM

True - Pinnacle server.

To be honest we probably won't kick the taskforce off until about 8ish our time.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:01 AM

I play on Virtue. Highest chars are both 24, though - I'm not much of a power gamer.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Khiadra, there's a SDMB supergroup on Virtue, if you're interested. As long as you're a doper, a friend of a doper, or have once heard of the Dope, then you're welcome.

Send a /tell to Master Electric. I'll get an invite sent your way.

garius - Come to Virtue. You know you want to.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I play on Virtue. Highest chars are both 24, though - I'm not much of a power gamer.
Same here - as there's two of us in the house we tend to try and coincide our levels. we're both 24 at the moment
Old 01-11-2005, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill
Khiadra, there's a SDMB supergroup on Virtue, if you're interested. Send a /tell to Master Electric. I'll get an invite sent your way.
Hey, thanks I already have an SG that I'm happy with, but I'd quite like to tee up a group sometime if you're interested.

My favourite chars are my level 24 Dark/Invul scrapper, Requisite Force, and my level (I think) 18 Empath/Radiation defender, Khiah Adaria.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:49 AM

Mental Note: When in the process of getting addicted to a game, always check the Dope.

I got introduced to this game over the weekend when I was visiting friends in PGH. I'm in the process of building a new computer (okay, having a friend build me a new computer) for gaming and am now fiending. With no ability to play it for at least six weeks or so. Probably more like 8.

I was on the Virtue server. Levels 1-8.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

I've got a 22 tanker on pinnacle, and I'm pretty time-flexie. Dunno what sister's levels are for the TF, though.

I've also got a full roster on Virtue, including a 39 scrapper, a 24 defender, and various 6-17s.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and as a side note; the tank is named 'Crush Groove', and is an invuln / earth. I have so many defensive toggles I -can't- generally attack, but my taunt is HUGE and I pretty much ignore all non-psionic damage.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:12 PM

Two of my housemates got me into it, and then they moved on to World of Warcraft. Darn them anyway. My blaster can always use tankers (meatshields) to team with, and my defender can always use just about anyone to team with; her damage output is painfully low.

Unfortunately, I play on Champion, which no one else has listed.

Sparkes, 33 Blaster electrical/electrical
Safia, 23 Defender dark/dark
Mr. Prickly, 17 Scrapper claws/super reflexes
Old 02-08-2005, 03:18 PM

Technically, not a Brit - I'm a Yank living in London - and I play on Virtue. I'm a level 40 claws/super reflexes scrapper called Korenwolf. Might try to catch some of y'all online, as my supergroup recently folded.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:49 AM

I have a level 6ish char on Virtue called Verminhater (claws/dark scrapper), or a couple of other chars if you don't mind RSKing one - Mea Culpa (blaster), Momma Mea (blaster), Approximator (controller).

I have a couple of others but I generally only play them when I've got a friends group teed up ahead of time, so no point in giving you those ones.

Shoot me a tell if you see me online! Uh, but be sure to mention you're a Doper or odds are I'll be curiously unavailable. Having played EQ for years, and now CoH, I've learned to truly loathe random group invites.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

You can find out most of our character names at our website and forum located here. And there are a couple of associated SGs as well, one for our lesser played alts and another for a group that started playing Dark/Dark scrappers. There is usually someone on from early evening until I log off in the morning.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:43 AM

And then of course there's my divine-themed SG on Justice. Which unfortunately gets far too little of my attention.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, but there are only the 2 of us from the Dope on it. Unless that new person I saw there is from here also.

Lok
Old 02-09-2005, 01:24 PM

Nein. Acquaintance of old.

I need to do more active recruiting there.. or give up on it entirely.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

I don't think you need to give it up. I have a couple of alts with single member SGs. It may never be a huge SG, but it can still be useful and fun.

Lok
Old 02-10-2005, 05:58 AM

You and your game have stolen my boyfriend, Garius, and I WANT HIM BACK.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:33 PM

I got City of Heroes for Christmas and it has become the all-consuming obsession of my life -- I mean skipping meals, losing sleep, the whole bit. Not that I'm complaining

The first month or so I was addicted to creating characters; consequently I have upwards of 30 characters spanning ALL of the servers. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I started really playing in earnest. As it happens, my most-played and highest level character is in Virtue: a level 17 blaster named Shockfox. He's already in a terrific SG, but if any Dopers want to say hi, or even team up, I'd love to meet you. I'll be on around 6 pm EST this evening.

A couple of other characters that I play semi-regularly are Beautiful Mind, a level 13 Defender in Pinnacle (I think...I'm at work right now) and Lady Lacerator, a level 8 Scrapper in Champion (I think). I might have to double-check on those servers when I get home, but again I'd love to hear from any Dopers in those servers. These two characters aren't in SGs so if ya'll want to start up Doper chapters in those servers, I'd be up for it.

I also occasionally play a Tanker called the Ultra-American, but for the life of me I can't recall which server he's in -- I'll have to get back to you on that.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:52 PM

You know, with the new Global Chat, all you Dopers on other servers could converse with us members of CECIL on Virtue...
Old 02-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

What's the CECIL chat-channel name?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Umm, CECIL
Old 02-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

FTR, my Global Chat name is @Maus Magill
Old 02-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bites When Provoked
I have a level 6ish char on Virtue called Verminhater (claws/dark scrapper)....
We've got a Dark Armor-focused SG on Virtue as well, although it's also open to non-SDMBers. It's open to */DA scrappers, */DB defenders, and Warshades. We're trying out an aura-centric playstyle with heavily-slotted Death Shroud. You can check it out at http://rank.culex.us/ and see if you're interested. We usually get together on Wednesdays and Saturdays, as most of these characters are alts, but some of us are on a lot more.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance
You can check it out at http://rank.culex.us/ and see if you're interested.
*laugh* that's a beautiful theme you have going there

Sadly, Verminhater got the chop the other day and was recreated as a claws/regen scrapper. The constant whine from my self-buff was giving me an awful headache (I play with headphones on, so it was right in my ear).

I have 2 other dark scrappers, but they're dark primary rather than secondary (shadow maul is THE most fun attack around, I reckon). I already have an SG, though Verm's not been re-enlisted in it yet.

However, I love the premise of R.A.N.K. and think it rocks.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Loath as I am to paying a monthly fee in order to play a game, I've decided to get in on City of Heroes. It's certainly cheaper than cable and probably more entertaining!

I have only one character so far, a Broadsword Scrapper called Ivory Knight. He's currently level 3 on Virtue.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

BTW: when I picked up the game last night, I noticed a pre-order box for the next Freedom Force game. Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich, due out on the 8th.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher
Loath as I am to paying a monthly fee in order to play a game, I've decided to get in on City of Heroes. It's certainly cheaper than cable and probably more entertaining!

I have only one character so far, a Broadsword Scrapper called Ivory Knight. He's currently level 3 on Virtue.
We accept you, One of us! One of us!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I've been experimenting with a couple of other characters: a Dark/Dark
Mutant Scrapper (Errant Moon) and a AR/Energy Natural Blaster (RaynebowWarrior).

Ivory Knight is up to level 4 and having hellatrouble with a bunch of Clockworks in a door mission.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Mutant Scrapper (Errant Moon) and a AR/Energy Natural Blaster (RaynebowWarrior).

Ivory Knight is up to level 4 and having hellatrouble with a bunch of Clockworks in a door mission.
If you're still having trouble this weekend, I should be around as Doc Salvage - I don't know if you can take me on as Exemplar at that point, though.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:12 AM

At level four its easier to go out, arrest a few thugs, level and go back in. You level so fast at four. Or take a level 5 friend.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the advice, Dangerosa. IK has already had to leave twice to heal; didn't quite make it the second time. Little bastard blasted him in the ass.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

A couple? My last count has me at 46 total alts. Only 7 or 8 are in the double digits for levels so far. And only 2 are over 20, Air Goddess and Justice Blues, my main, both in C.E.C.I.L. I love creating characters.

Lok
Old 02-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
A couple? My last count has me at 46 total alts. Only 7 or 8 are in the double digits for levels so far. And only 2 are over 20, Air Goddess and Justice Blues, my main, both in C.E.C.I.L. I love creating characters.

Lok
I'm an altaholic, too. I'm concentrating on Master Electric, because I've had him since April, and, by golly, he should be higher than 31.

I also have:
Dimsdale - Scrapper Spine/Regen
The HIdden Mouse - Scrapper Katana/DA
Soren Surt - Tanker - Fire/fire
Pretty Boy Joe - Defender - Kinetics/Dark
Siracco - Controller - Fire/Storm

I've deleted more than I can count.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:27 PM

I only ever play on Virtue, though I have many other characters on other servers just for the fun of creating. Send a tell if you ever see me on as:

Mack Carnage: claws/super reflexes scrapper
Max Carnage: super strength/invulnerability tank
She Carnage: gravity/kinetics controller
Kid Carnage: Mace/invul tank
Robo-Carnage: fire/elec blaster
Pestilenz: illusion/empathy controller
Lando The Free: energy/energy blaster
Homer The Brave: martial arts/regen scrapper

Usually I'm on as Mack, Pesti, or lately a lot of Lando.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

I found out why IK was having so much trouble with those Clockworks. A Cannon Knight was hiding in there! Didn't have much of a problem after giving that thing a KO. IK is now level 5 and troll hunting in The Hollows.

I've also added a Tanker called GreenMonster (Green Monster was already taken). He's based on The Hulk, so you can probably guess his powers. I got him through levels so fast that I didn't notice he was a 5 until he started incurring debt!
Old 02-18-2005, 04:56 PM

Ms. Eyre - 31 katana/inv scrapper
Eliza Bennett - 36 empath defender

Several alts at 20 or below...Dashwood is most likely to be on now, but also Dangerosa, Kindele or Bovary.

Brainiac4 is generally on as Super-Collider or Thermocline.

All on Virtue.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Where can I sell enhancements & inspirations? All I ever see is "can't be sold here".
Old 02-20-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Where can I sell enhancements & inspirations? All I ever see is "can't be sold here".
Can't sell inspirations.

Enhancements can be sold at the Freedom Corps Training Personnel - they're in red and white costumes, and there's a pair of them in City Hall, a pair near Ms. Liberty, a pair near Back Alley Brawler in Galaxy City.. and other spots.

Once you get enhancements that aren't 'Training' enhancements, you need to sell them at specific matching stores to get the best price. The stores are in City Zones, starting with Steel Canyon and Skyway City. You'll be adventuring in those zones well before seeing the first Dual-Origin enhancements though.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera
Enhancements can be sold at the Freedom Corps Training Personnel - they're in red and white costumes
Aha! I was wondering what those Training Personnel are for. Many thanks.

I've added another alt: an Inulnerable/Axe Tanker named Brian Bloodaxe. His story is that he escaped from a 20-year-old C64 game. I was a bit surprised that he wasn't already taken.

I had a great time with Mr. Bloodaxe last night. Three others - a blaster, a tanker, and a healer - came to help me with one of those Clockwork doors. That warehouse was absolutely loaded with Dukes! Our team leader said the mission had respawned for a five-man team.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:54 AM

Wheee, more Dopers on Virtue!

As my lovely and talented wife pointed out, I'm there too.

On Virtue:

Thermocline - 41 Fire/Ice blaster
Super-Collider - 30 Rad/Rad defender
Scraptacular - 12 MA/SR scrapper
Dr. Livingstone - 8 Inv/Stone tanker
Doctor Infernal - 5 Fire/Rad controller

I also have a couple I am not currently playing, but will happily bring out if needed

Night's Fang - 18 DM/DA scrapper (in RANK)
Night's Touch - 11 Kin/DB defender (in RANK)
Synthezoid - 7 Energy/Dev blaster

My global chat handle is @Brainiac4, and I can be found in CECIL if I am on.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:56 AM

Quote:
That warehouse was absolutely loaded with Dukes! Our team leader said the mission had respawned for a five-man team.
Wait until you see a mission spawned for a team of 8, with the difficulty set higher... big spawns of lieutenants and bosses. The xp flows like water... if you live.

Old 02-20-2005, 03:24 PM

For members of the C.E.C.I.L. supergroup, we have recreated the group and are now known as CECIL. Log into /chat beta 1 and set up CECIL as your default chat. Give us a yell and we'll swap you over.

[originally posted at sdmb.culex.us]

As most of you have realized, CECIL (v2.0) is up and running. Not ones to leave any member behind, we ask that you send a tell to any of the usual suspects or log into the beta chat agent and let us know you need to get swapped over to the updated supergroup.

If you have any problems, you can always post here and we'll get with you asap.

Hope everyone enjoys the new digs!
Old 02-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

You have to type in either /chatbeta 1 or /chat_beta 1. If you try /chat beta 1, it thinks you are giving 2 arguments to the /chat command. (Found this out the hard way when I couldn't get global chat working. )

And any of you on CoH are welcome to join the CECIL channel, and the CECIL supergroup if you have characters on Virtue. The more the merrier.

Lok
Old 02-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

I've added yet another alt: an Inv/Elec Defender called Z-3PO. His battle cry is, "Protocol this!"
Old 02-20-2005, 05:10 PM

Soon, soon I will have a computer that can play this game. About a month and then I will begin.

Please someone cool save an alt spot for a few more weeks - I long to duo up with some damage dealer and go after the exporation badges. (My main will be a controller. I swear. Okay, maybe a defender, given my love of Empathy.)
Old 02-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medea's Child
Please someone cool save an alt spot for a few more weeks
Errant Moon and RaynebowWarrior will probably still be level six or lower.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:38 PM

Ooh. I meant to start another thread about this game, to see if Dopers were still playing. I'm usually Ghost Soldier or Razor Shaman on Virtue. Maybe I'll log on and see if anyone is on.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medea's Child
Soon, soon I will have a computer that can play this game. About a month and then I will begin.

Please someone cool save an alt spot for a few more weeks - I long to duo up with some damage dealer and go after the exporation badges. (My main will be a controller. I swear. Okay, maybe a defender, given my love of Empathy.)
Controllers are hard to play solo at low levels. Defenders are kind of frustrating, in that they really shine in a group, but you sometimes feel like you're not *doing* anything... until you take one hit too many, go down and watch the whole team fold like a cheap suit without the benefit of your buff/debuff abilities.

My main is a blaster, as posted above, level 41. But my original character, and primary alt, is a defender, and he's often more fun to play -- it's easy to feel heroic when you can save other heroes. See someone near death? Zip over and heal, maybe debuff their foes and buff them, make sure they live through it, then accept their gratitude and be on your way.

Man, I love this game.
Closed Thread