Old 02-21-2005, 11:54 PM

My main right now is Johnny Daemon, a level 43 DM/INV scrapper. On Virtue, part of the CECIL supergroup.

I also have Rat ta tat tat, my level 36 AR/DEV blaster, and Va Va Boom, a level 15 Rad/Rad defender. I rarely play these two anymore. Rat was my main for a long time, but with the changes to smoke grenade way back in issue 2, he was having more and more trouble surviving.

JD, on the other hand, has no such problems. Except the 24 million xp left from 43 to 50. Sigh.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:51 AM

Okay, I've taken some of my favorite unplayed characters from other servers and re-created them in Virtue, because I love my SG in that server.

My main character in Virtue was an electrical blaster called Shockfox; I got him up to level 18 and then sort of lost interest. I don't feel I have anything to look forward to with him. I know that at level 20 you can get a second costume and you're eligible for a cape. But I'm not interested in another costume because I don't feel I can improve on his current one; I've played around with some alternative designs and nothing works for me. And I definitely don't want a cape -- he's not a cape guy at all. So if I kept playing him I'd basically just be leveling up for the sake of leveling up, and going on endless missions with no real goal.

So Shockfox is more or less retired, at least for now. But in a weird, neurotic way I'd feel disloyal to my SG if I just disappeared, so I've transplanted some other characters to Virtue. Fortunately 2 out of the 3 names were not taken. I chose them because I have additional costumes in mind for them, and they'd also look good in capes.

The are:

Coldzone, an ice blaster.

Brainpower, a defender (his original name was Psionix but that was taken in Virtue; I lucked out with "Brainpower," a better name IMO).

Jingo Belle, a scrapper and my new favorite/primary. She has an astonishing number of hit points, which I'm not at all used to, having mostly played a blaster -- you know how that is. And she does this jumping/spinning kick that is fabulous to behold :-)

Anybody mind if I send you a /tell to say hi?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Anybody mind if I send you a /tell to say hi?
Not at all.

When I'm on, you can send a tell to

Jim Beam, level 38ish MA/SR scrapper
ERG-1, level 30 En/En blaster
ERG-4, level 25ish Rad/Rad defender
Blue Genesis, level 14 Inv/EM tanker

I'm always willing to take in a small (less than 4) team, especially on anyone who isn't Jim Beam.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac4
Controllers are hard to play solo at low levels. Defenders are kind of frustrating, in that they really shine in a group, but you sometimes feel like you're not *doing* anything... until you take one hit too many, go down and watch the whole team fold like a cheap suit without the benefit of your buff/debuff abilities.

My main is a blaster, as posted above, level 41. But my original character, and primary alt, is a defender, and he's often more fun to play -- it's easy to feel heroic when you can save other heroes. See someone near death? Zip over and heal, maybe debuff their foes and buff them, make sure they live through it, then accept their gratitude and be on your way.

Man, I love this game.
I like the controller though. (Illusion/empathy) And I didn't mind soloing - though I liked duoing much, much more. enough healing goodness to keep one or two others alive, and enough damage ability to get a few good licks in as well.

When I get my computer, I'll probably have a defender as well - I like healers. (I had to explain that concept to the healer in the last group I played with - she had an over fondness for Absorb Pain, saying that she'd rather die than one of us. My comment was that if she died, I couldn't heal everyone else and rez her, and the way we were going that would mean we would all be gone. *sigh*)
Old 02-22-2005, 08:49 AM

Don't forget, the Global Chat channel is CECIL , and most of us have at least one ear on it, even if we're not in the group.

Most recently, I can typically be found as
La Pucelle BS/SR Scrapper, 46
Shamrock II Mace/Fire Tanker, 23
Terrible Secret En/En Blaster, 23
Neural 'Nette, Kinetics/Psi Defender, 6.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

I finally managed to play again yesterday after a long hiatus. The CECIL global chat channel is great. Makes it so much easier to communicate with friends (just remember to do /chatbeta 1 every time you log in).

I have 8 alts on Virtue, but my mains are Volt Valkyrie (30 Kinetics/Electric defender), Eye of Maya (24 Illusion/Kinetics controller), and Kitsune-hime (26 Claws/Regen scrapper). I'm always willing to team up, although my playtime is sometimes limited.

Look for me as @VoltValkyrie on the CECIL chat channel.
At first I used to listen to what people said and expect them to act accordingly. Now I listen to what people say and watch what they do. -- Analects of Confucius 5:10
Old 02-22-2005, 10:34 AM

Could someone explain this chat channel to me, and how to access it?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac4
Controllers are hard to play solo at low levels. Defenders are kind of frustrating, in that they really shine in a group, but you sometimes feel like you're not *doing* anything... until you take one hit too many, go down and watch the whole team fold like a cheap suit without the benefit of your buff/debuff abilities.
Saw this happen last night. Terra Volta Respec Trial. Our healer wasn't keeping up with the Resurrections - we lost a Scrapper, and then me, and then after that, within a minute, all three of the others suddenly, then the reactor.

Forcefields are your friend.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

I'm good at creating characters but lack imagination for their background stories. Would someone please come up a story for my latest alt (Ice Leprechaun, a 4' Magic Ice/Ice Def)?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I was that Scrapper!

We were so close; it was the final wave that overpowered us. I guess our damage output wasn't high enough. Still, I had a lot of fun. And got a enough to debt to last me a while.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher
I'm good at creating characters but lack imagination for their background stories. Would someone please come up a story for my latest alt (Ice Leprechaun, a 4' Magic Ice/Ice Def)?
Perhaps he ate too many Frosted Lucky Charms?

Old 02-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Oops, Ice Leprechaun is a Blaster, not Defender.

Brainiac4 is right about controllers being hard to play solo. Ice Leprechaun was originally going to be a controller but I decided it wasn't for me. I prefer the types that can solo with little problem.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast
And got a enough to debt to last me a while.
Z-3PO's first attempt on a team door in the Hollows resulted in him getting killed three times on the way there, raking up 188 debt in the process. Gave up trying after that point.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:20 AM

Global Chat
That's a link to the pdf on how to use Global Chat. Warning, clicking the link opens a PDF. You may want to right click and choose to save it first.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
188 debt in the process. Gave up trying after that point.
I don't mean to be negative, but.... Dude... If 188 is gonna scare you off, this might not be the game for you.

My main, Meggido, has had 140k debt before. Last night I racked up 105k in a few hours and had it all paid off about 2 hours later. Don't fear the debt, my brothers!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:57 AM

Hallows missions are bad. For some reason, the game designers have decided to send you places where you will die getting there. Recommendation - find a higher level teleporter to take you to the door, and hope someone hanging out at the entrance has teleport friend to get you back out. Or don't take Hallows missions.

The nice thing about CoH debt is that you still get XP while in debt, just half as fast.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrMatey!
I don't mean to be negative, but.... Dude... If 188 is gonna scare you off, this might not be the game for you.

My main, Meggido, has had 140k debt before. Last night I racked up 105k in a few hours and had it all paid off about 2 hours later. Don't fear the debt, my brothers!
Master Electric is well on his way to getting his third Debt Badge. It's almost odd. When I'm debt free, I almost feel like I'm leveling too fast.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
188 is quite a bit for a level 6. Beside, I meant I gave up trying to get to the door.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

The nice thing about debt, is that you end up with twice the influence you would for any particular level.

Oh, and Lute, if you want to team up and take a look at some higher level content, send ME a /tell.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I was that Scrapper!

We were so close; it was the final wave that overpowered us. I guess our damage output wasn't high enough. Still, I had a lot of fun. And got a enough to debt to last me a while.
I did get Level 27 out of it, and the 'Tough' badge. And progress on the Sky Skiff kill-badge. I probably will try the Trial again at L28, when I have fresh new SOs.

Until then, I have to recruit some help to get through a bunch of timed missions - since that's all my contacts will give at the moment.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill
Oh, and Lute, if you want to team up and take a look at some higher level content, send ME a /tell.
Already saw a bit when trying to get to that door. Things that come out of the ground and shotguns that deal 130+ damage!?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera
Until then, I have to recruit some help to get through a bunch of timed missions - since that's all my contacts will give at the moment.
Ooo, me, me! Since we're about the same level. And I have a CoT mission I need help with (find 16 books or something). I don't do well against the Negative Energy badguys that debuff my accuracy.

I'm typically on 5-7pm PT.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:31 PM

So can any Dopers join CECIL? I got COH a month ago and I have three main characters I play (Iron Messiah, level 20 tech blaster; Dung Beetle Dan, level 15 science scrapper; and Nina Vageena, level 9 tech blaster, who I created just so I could watch someone run around in a bikini and heels and carrying a giant machine gun -- gee, for some reason I ended up playing her quite a bit)

P.S. How do you change your costume? Iron Messiah just got to level 20 and I want to make a few tweaks.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Hauser
So can any Dopers join CECIL?
Sounds like it. It is limited to characters level 10 or higher, of course.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ooo, me, me! Since we're about the same level. And I have a CoT mission I need help with (find 16 books or something). I don't do well against the Negative Energy badguys that debuff my accuracy.

I'm typically on 5-7pm PT.
Yay! Volt is back!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Yes I am! See you in Paragon City again soon.

Kaspar Hauser, all Dopers are welcome. We're on the Virtue server, although some have alts on other servers. Send a /tell to any member (and mention your SDMB board name) and we will get you invited to the supergroup. Add some of the character names you see listed in this thread to your in-game friends list so you can find us easier.
At first I used to listen to what people said and expect them to act accordingly. Now I listen to what people say and watch what they do. -- Analects of Confucius 5:10
Old 02-22-2005, 06:35 PM

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sounds like it. It is limited to characters level 10 or higher, of course.
No, you need to be level 10 to create a SG. Any level can be a member, you just need to be invited by someone with that level of authority. Which is pretty much every main in the group for CECIL.

So if you want your various characters to be a member, just send a /tell or join up with the CECIL channel and we will get you into the SG. The only real limit is no more than 4 alts per person in the group at a time. If we actually start to hit the 75 member limit, we will start to lower the number of alts allowed, but that is probably not going to happen any time soon.

Lok
Old 02-23-2005, 07:31 AM

Oh man, we got more Dopers playing, and Volt is back... and I'm going to be out of town until late late late Saturday night.

See you on Sunday!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:36 AM

I've got stuff to take care of this week, and games to run - so I won't be on much until Saturday, myself, unless something changes.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:39 AM

Two of my characters joined last night (although -- bad timing -- I've just been forced to change one of their names). Thanks, everybody! I didn't get to team up or anything because I was teraming with my non-Doper brother, though.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Two of my characters joined last night (although -- bad timing -- I've just been forced to change one of their names). Thanks, everybody! I didn't get to team up or anything because I was teraming with my non-Doper brother, though.
What was the original name?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:18 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Non-dopers are welcome to team, Kaspar. Don't let that stop you. The more, the merrier, and all that rot.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Brothers of Dopers are welcome to join as well. We're a very friendly group.

Sorry about the forced name change. I had you on my friends list and noticed the switch from Nina Vageena to a GenericHeroNNNN. I'm not too surprised, the GMs enforce game policy efficiently.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:07 AM

We have been known to shun low level alts to mini-CECIL (although I may be the only one currently playing a Mini-CECIL character or two, I know I was running around last night as the only one, but didn't check last logins). That was basically because people would be running a lot of low level alts, get bored with them sometime between levels 7 and 12 and then take up space for 30 days-space we really wanted for people who were playing their characters. With global chat and most of the chatter happening on the global chat channel, it isn't really the deal it was a month ago, where you "needed" to get into CECIL to really know if someone was forming a team you wanted to be on. Now you just need to be part of the channel and SG membership isn't as important for gameplay.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:07 AM

I thought it was more cute than obscene, but I'm not gonna make a big fuss about it. Their game, their rules, etc.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
P.S. How do you change your costume? Iron Messiah just got to level 20 and I want to make a few tweaks.

Run over to ICON, the lowest-level of which is in Steel Canyon, north-west corner (you can tell the building cos of the costumed manequins in front of it). If you talk to Serge in the back, he'll give you a mission (defeat 20? 30? Tsoo), after which you can get your first 'new costume' slot. You can change costumes -before- that, but this gives you a second set of threads for your character! (Mine's such a clothes horse! I think I've blown at least 10 mil on costumes alone).

And, as a side note, I defeated the Carnival of Shadows archvillain last night! Sheesh! Battle literally took us over 20 minutes -after- we cleared out everything else! Her regeneration is just scary!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

GreenMonster made level 10 last night and joined CECIL, then my game crashed at 11:00. Well, I had to go to bed anyway.

Question: if I get CoH for my SO, would that mean paying ~$30 a month?
Old 02-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Question for high-level scrappers. Night before last I hit 41, and the obvious choice for epic power seemed to be 'body mastery'. Has -anyone- taken the others? And what are your takes on them? I've got a respec saved up, and shuriken -sound- fun, but... Starting with caltrops? And are they worth giving up the boosts body mastery would get me?
Old 02-25-2005, 02:29 PM

I _will_ be taking Web Grenade at 49, for the -fly. I think that'll be important.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Question for high-level scrappers. Night before last I hit 41, and the obvious choice for epic power seemed to be 'body mastery'. Has -anyone- taken the others? And what are your takes on them? I've got a respec saved up, and shuriken -sound- fun, but... Starting with caltrops? And are they worth giving up the boosts body mastery would get me?
Grrr, what do you mean Invalid Thread Specified....ok, hamsters ate my post, let me sum up...

I took Conserve Power and I love it. Elude drains all my Endurance when it fnishes. So after my End builds for about 3 seconds, I hit CS and don't have to worry about pacing my attacks since they hardly use any End at that point. After I 4 slot it with recharges, I'll be able to click it a little more freely without waiting for the opportune moment.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:38 PM

If my impatience will ever kill me, simply from waiting, it will be for this game.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:18 PM

If anyone's interested, my SG, the Guardians of the Golden Age, has a website at www.geocities.com/guardiansofgoldenage . I haven't submitted Jingo Belle's bio yet, but she is in a group shot in "Guardians Gallery."

If any of you who are not members of CECIL are looking for an SG, I'll be happy to put in a word for you with the founder, Mister Mirror. Being from the Golden Age is not a requirement for membership, but good fashion sense and a correctly spelled name are. They're a super-friendly bunch, always willing to help out, and all intelligent adults. No incomprehensible pre-teen netspeak!

I had the pleasure of teaming up with D_Odds's ERG-4 the other day, and I'm still hoping to at least run into some of you. I'm on the CECIL channel now (I think -- I'm technically inept) and will probably change my handle to Nordic.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
If any of you who are not members of CECIL are looking for an SG, I'll be happy to put in a word for you with the founder, Mister Mirror. Being from the Golden Age is not a requirement for membership, but good fashion sense and a correctly spelled name are.
Ice Leprechaun, with a teal three-piece suit and a clover insignia, would be a good fit for your group. I plan to be playing as GreenMonster for a while though.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:
GreenMonster made level 10 last night and joined CECIL, then my game crashed at 11:00. Well, I had to go to bed anyway.

Question: if I get CoH for my SO, would that mean paying ~$30 a month?
Congrats... and yes. Dangerosa and I have two accounts (two total, that is, not two each -- we're not that alt-happy), and each one is billed separately.

I do recommend two accounts if you have two players -- no fighting over who gets to play, and you get to play coop. In our case, we share an office, so we can team up really effectively.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. I spend way more time on my computer than she on hers so it might not be worth getting an account just for her. I don't even know if hers is up to spec. We'll see.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:37 PM

I've had relatively limited success with getting Dangerosa to share my interest in games. She got into Diablo II with me, but that was hard to play together with characters of different levels. We both played a lot of SSX, SSX Tricky and SSX3, but those are hard to play together since they're split-screen and competitive. What I really want from a gameplaying experience with my wife is one that lets us cooperate, and City of Heroes delivers that well, with the added bonus that the Sidekicking mechanism lets heroes of different levels play together and both be effective.

I guess what I'm saying is that, if you love games and want to share that with someone that you love, playing cooperatively is a great way to do it, and CoH does that well. And opportunities to share your hobbies should not be passed up, IMO. Although the system limitations might be a roadblock.

Oh well, you can always build another system.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:39 PM

Woo! My blaster's SG leader, Weevil, is appearing in issue #10 of the comic, Jack!
Old 03-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

SO now has CoH on her 'puter as well. We haven't paired up yet, though.

Medea's Child: when you create your empath, I suggest you go with a Defender and make your secondary either dark blast or psychic blast. These will allow you to be a sniper at level 5; well-timed sniper attacks can take out even-level foes in two shots. This is quite useful for early missions in The Hollows - use fire escapes to go up to a roof and target Outcasts and Trolls on opposite roofs. With luck, you'll "arrest" them and they won't even know how to get to you! That's what I was doing for the past couple of days with my latest creaton (a dark blast empath called Night's Ward).
Old 03-01-2005, 04:29 PM

I'm finally back on the game. (Had computer issues, so I cancelled until I had them worked out)

Unfortunately, I don't have a character on the Virtue server. I'll have to start one.

If anyone's on the Victory server, my characters are

Nonknown - Lv 10 def
Flame Flinger - lv 9 blaster