Old 03-07-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Now that the global chat is here and my Pinnacle friends can find me anywhere, I'm thinking of making a character on Virtue.

I've already played just about every kind of character I wanted to try, though I haven't got them all, you know, into the 30s and 40s. What I'd like to try now is to start up characters in some kind of inter-working group, five or so players coordinating their archetypes to work extremely well together.

Anybody out on Virtue have any slots left to start someone new? Anybody not on Virtue want to throw in with me?

And lastly, just for the sake of discussion, what would be a fun group of five to get together, designed to operate smoothly as a team?

I figured it'd go like this:
Bla: Ice/Ice
Con: Earth/Empathy
Def: FF/Psychic
Scr: Dark Melee/Invul
Tan: Fire/Axe

This team would have plenty of power to hold and lock down bad guys. It'd have every damage type except toxic. The defender and controller can protect each other pretty darn well. The Force Fields fill in the defensive holes of the Fire tank and the Regen scrapper. The only disadvantage I can see is that the team only gets one sniper, and it's the defender.

If you wanted a chaotic set where every foe was getting knocked down and all around, it'd probably look like:
Bla: Energy/Ice
Con: Illusion/Storm
Def: FF/Energy
Scr: Martial Arts/Regen
Tan: Ice/Axe

Dunno how well that would work. It seems light on healing.

Anyway, I'm just tossing stuff out. I'm not sure what I want to make on Virtue yet, but I'm sort of kicking the idea around.
I've always thought it would be fun to start fresh with a character and develop it in cooperation with someone else. I've been giving my brother the hard sell on this game so we could do that, but so far he doesn't seem interested.

As it happens, I have an Ice/Ice Blaster named Coldzone and a FF/Psychic Defender called Brainpower, both in Virtue and both very low-level (5 and 3 respectively, I believe).

I also have a Dark Melee/Invul Tanker called The Black Bronco in another server, but don't recall which offhand. He's also very low, like level 3.

There's no reason I couldn't create a totally new character in any given server.

Time constraints and committing to regular get-togethers might be a tad problematic, though. I'm being pretty loyal to Jingo Belle at the moment, so I'd be loath to take too much time away from her.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa
Maus, Eliza can be around, but I have class until 8 something central and I know you pack it in early. Give me or Brainac4 a yell if you need help (@Dangerosa).
I'm hoping to get on no later than 8 EST (Depends on how quickly Fang gets to sleep.) No marathon sessions fo me tonight. Fang and I dorve Mrs. Magill to the airport at 4 this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast
What level is ME--can VV help? I have Increase Density which I believe protects against all mez powers except Sleep.
ME's now 31. Bring VV along. Mmmm... swift Kinetics goodness.

Quote:
Working through the Striga missions with Kit, I didn't realize Vampyrs had mez capability until I teamed with some others and saw them get mezzed. It's funny how different powersets can change your perception of the game. It really is a different game for different archetypes/powersets.
Ain't that the truth. Try switching between a Tank and a Blaster. Now, there's two totally different play styles.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill
Try switching between a Tank and a Blaster. Now, there's two totally different play styles.
Heh. I've been switching between a Tank and a Defender.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Amateurs. I have, at last count, 48 alts, all ATs, wide variety of powersets. Switching between them can be a lot of fun.

Lok
Old 03-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

I play Diablo II with four different types of Barbarian and one each of the others, keeping them all at about the same level. Don't think I'll try that with CoH. I'll probably stick to GreenMonster and Night's Ward and play the others on occasion.

I've already deleted two characters (Ivory Knight and Z-3PO) because wasn't really into them. Z-3PO (Electricity Defender - war cry "Protocol this!") was more of a silly distraction. Night's Ward was IK's replacement; Z-3PO was deleted to make room for someone to partner with my SO's first character but it seems I was right about her computer being not quite up to spec.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:21 PM

Dangerosa and I have several pairs.

My main Thermocline is a Fire/Ice blaster, level 41. Dangerosa got tired of hearing me whine about dying all the time, so she created Eliza Bennett, an Empathy/Energy defender, to follow Thermo around and keep him alive. Eliza just made 37.

Dangerosa created Ms. Eyre, a Katana/Invulnerability scrapper to play when she wants to solo, who matches up pretty well with my solo-capable defender, Super-Collider (Rad/Rad). Ms. E is 32 (I think) and SC is 31.

Our latest set is her Fire/Devices blaster Dangerosa and my Fire/Rad controller Doctor Infernal. They're about to hit 14 and get travel powers.

Playing pairs is fun. You get to count on someone else supplying something so you don't have to do it. In the latest pair, Doc has almost no damage capability (I picked up Flurry so that I can do some damage, because my alternative was to Brawl things to death), because Dangerosa is a blaster and can supply more than enough damage for the pair.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
There's no reason I couldn't create a totally new character in any given server.

Time constraints and committing to regular get-togethers might be a tad problematic, though. I'm being pretty loyal to Jingo Belle at the moment, so I'd be loath to take too much time away from her.
I have two level 30+ characters also, so I'm not asking for regular get-togethers. With global chat, if I log into Pinnacle and see you happen to be on Virtue, we could always get together spontaneously if there's nothing else on.

I have one real-life friend playing this game but I work days and he works graveyards so we don't exactly get to play the coordination game.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I have two level 30+ characters also, so I'm not asking for regular get-togethers. With global chat, if I log into Pinnacle and see you happen to be on Virtue, we could always get together spontaneously if there's nothing else on.

I have one real-life friend playing this game but I work days and he works graveyards so we don't exactly get to play the coordination game.
Well, I do have characters in every server, most of them low-level. I mentioned the possibility of making a new one in case you had a specific AT in mind for a specific server. I'm in global chat as Nordic, so if you see me feel free to holler and if I'm not in the middle of something I could possibly switch.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:17 PM

Go here. Now.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/cityo...s&subj=6120092

70+ pics of I4. Pretty... so pretty. So adjustable...
Old 03-10-2005, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath
Go here. Now.

Sweet merciful crap!
Old 03-10-2005, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath
Go here. Now.

Sweet zombie Jesus! That's just amazing!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:44 AM

Quick diku, go on vacation somewhere without COH access, so it can be released onto Test!

Freakin' shoulder kittens require it.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:55 AM

I'm not an anime fan, so most of the new costume options aren't that exciting to me. However, I am glad that there will be jackets and vests, which I've always wished for.

I also think we need tall boots for men, and long gloves for both sexes.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Yes, I am looking forward to the new Jacket options. Master Electric needs now threads, man.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:34 AM

Wings would be cool too, but I suppose that's asking for too much.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:46 AM

Wings are coming, as part of the Avilian archetype, to be seen around, eh, I6 or 8-ish.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster
Freakin' shoulder kittens require it.
Speaking of?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:45 AM

I ordered my copy of CoH yesterday. My power supply for my new computer should be in by next Tuesday. I'm going to Philly to pick up my new baby next weekend. March 21 I should be up and running.

I'd love to create a team from scratch on any server, just about any AT - I'm going to make at least one of each eventually. I do have a soft spot for Illusion/Empathy controller though.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

While Master Electric is still my favorite (31 elec/elec blaster), there is something to be said about standing in the middle of a bunch of blues and watching them slowly burn to death^Warrest. (Soren Surt - 11 fire/fire tank)
Old 03-11-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medea's Child
I ordered my copy of CoH yesterday. My power supply for my new computer should be in by next Tuesday. I'm going to Philly to pick up my new baby next weekend. March 21 I should be up and running.

I'd love to create a team from scratch on any server, just about any AT - I'm going to make at least one of each eventually. I do have a soft spot for Illusion/Empathy controller though.
Congrats on the new system. As previously noted, the largest grouping of Dopers is on Virtue (at least, the largest we know of).

I currently have one active character of each archetype*, after having experimented a fair amount. That's not nearly enough to capture the variety, of course, as even within the ATs there's a lot of variation, but for now it'll have to do.

*Of the basic 5, since I do not have a level 50 and have not unlocked the Kheldian ATs.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:49 PM

Ready and willing

I got a new system a couple months back pretty much so I could play CoH. What is CECIL in need of and I shall promptly create a new charachter on virtue. I have had alot of fun with Arctic Storms L11 Ice/Storm Conroller on Justice. The arctic wind power makes me VERY popular for missions.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:09 PM

Woohoo! I made a character on the Virtue server.

Some players and I decided we would test an all-defender teamup and chose Virtue to do it. So far our group of five has
- kinetic/energy
- dark/dark
- radiation/radiation
- empathy-radiation
- force field/radiation

They're all around level 4-5 right now. This teamup works great.

We went a little farther and created an all-controller group up to level 2, just for grins. This is on Victory.

Then we made an all-tanker group (up to level 2 again) on Protector.

And for our all melee-blaster group, a high-damage group which is also sure to die a lot, we chose the Infinity server (because that's how long it'll take us to level with all that debt).
Old 03-12-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix
I got a new system a couple months back pretty much so I could play CoH. What is CECIL in need of and I shall promptly create a new charachter on virtue. I have had alot of fun with Arctic Storms L11 Ice/Storm Conroller on Justice. The arctic wind power makes me VERY popular for missions.
CECIL needs whatever you want to play. If you want to recreate your Ice/Storm controller, that would be cool -- I don't think we have one of those.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Woohoo! I made a character on the Virtue server.

Some players and I decided we would test an all-defender teamup and chose Virtue to do it. So far our group of five has
- kinetic/energy
- dark/dark
- radiation/radiation
- empathy-radiation
- force field/radiation
No rad/* defenders? You should add one -- they team up great. There's an all-rad SG called Buffer Overrun on one of the servers that hammers through missions -- taking down AVs in 45 seconds. Stacking 8 Accelerate Metabolisms gets you near the damage cap without enhancements, plus endurance regeneration and recharge reduction.

What's your character's name? CECIL is still recruiting.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac4
No rad/* defenders?
Look at number 3 on the list. And you consider yourself a Brainiac. Brainiacs 1-3 are all weeping in their graves, and 5 will disown you whenever he is birthed.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds
Look at number 3 on the list. And you consider yourself a Brainiac. Brainiacs 1-3 are all weeping in their graves, and 5 will disown you whenever he is birthed.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Jim Beam has two AVs ready for the taking. I'd like to go with at least 3 but up to 8. Only caveat is that JB is level 38 and most of the mobs generated will be level 40/41. So, for everyone below 38 who wants to come, I need someone in the 38-40 range.

Blue Genesis is also set to go against Dr. Vahzilok. Mission, other than the good Doctor, should be a cakewalk. BG got the mission when he was level 16 and has since leveled to 18, thanks to a successful Positron Task Force. I'm willing to do this one with only one other, provided the one is a damage-dealer. Larger groups, however, are still invited. Good way to get some low alts some XP. BG is also closing in on the ollows' Caverns mission, and will need a big group for that one, so let me know who in the 15-20 range would be available and would like in on the mission.

I'd like to do one AV per night and finish all three by Friday. Caverns of Transcendence or however that word is spelled will probably be next week.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:05 PM

Always happy to help out fellow CECILians. I desperately want the Cavern of Transcendance badge with Shadow Stranger, but the Exemplar system just isn't persistent enough to risk it, I think. Sup R-HRO might be able to hlep out Blue Genesis with Dr. Vahz, though.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:59 AM

Woo-hoo! Level 24, baby. Stamina. Go me!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Two more bubbles 'til Thunderous Blast. Mmmm.... Massive dead mobs.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:02 AM

Is it wrong for me to be a teensy bit glad my SO is going out of town because that means I have unlimited CoH access for the next several days?

We've competed, bickered, argued and fought over game time almost daily -- no exaggeration -- since we got it last Christmas. We have the healthiest relationship of anyone we know, and in fact have been together almost seven years. But for some reason this stupid game brings out the worst in us. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Anyway, through Sunday I have carte blanche with [Smegol]my precious[/Smegol], and I intend to take full advantage of it. Groceries, exercise and a social life are all overrated anyway. As of Monday he asks that I log off by 10 PM so he can play (he'll be visiting his family in California so he'll have access there). That's actually earlier than I log off when he's home, as I often have to wait until he's in bed to play. But I can't complain too much because in the big picture I'm still getting more time than usual. And I'm taking next Wednesday off work for even more quality time.

I'm up for a Task Force on Saturday or Wednesday if anyone's free. Sunday I actually do have other plans so I'll only be playing until mid-afternoon. By Saturday I should be about level 25 or 26, and by Wednesday I should be pushing 30, if not beyond (it's hard to estimate how long it'll take to level at this stage).

By the way, now that I have the coveted Stamina, I'd welcome suggestions as to what to take next.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

I finally got Ms. D_Odds to play, but she isn't that good. She and I are keeping a pair of characters together, and are currently doing all the Hollows missions.

Blue Genesis (level 18 Inv/EM tank) has the Caverns of Transcendence mission. 8 people needed.

Both Jim Beam (38 MA/SR scrapper) and Star Lighter (35 Nrg/Dev blaster) both have the Envoy. Hopefully Pleonast will see this and bring out [i]Eye of Maya[/b]. I'm sure Jingo Belle can also attend. Star also has Terra. I'd like to do one of the Envoy missions this evening, work-willing.

Nordic, who do you play other than Jingo Belle? I need also teams for the Caverns of Transcendence and Dr. Vahzilok.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:18 AM

D_Odds,

I do have Shockfox, a level 18 elec/elec blaster in Virtue. He's been languishing in limbo for a while now, but I could break him out of retirement if you want his services. Or, you could ex Jingo Belle -- I'm willing to forgo xp to lend you a hand; lord knows you've been good to me.

Are you just talking about Virtue? I have a level 13 healer in Pinnacle who might be useful. I have many more characters in various servers, including Virtue, but they're mostly unplayed and low-level.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Blue Genesis (level 18 Inv/EM tank) has the Caverns of Transcendence mission. 8 people needed.
At least four of which have to be levels 12-15 in order to exemp those higher than 15.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:14 PM

If I recall Ms. D_Odds has a blaster. She might want to recreate herself. Blasters need to move to survive (at least until they get things like superspeed and stealth) which can be really frustrating to someone not used to playing computer games (I know....).

We always set up our six year old with a tank. Hard to die. Easy to play (an Inv Scrapper works too).
Old 03-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If I recall Ms. D_Odds has a blaster. She might want to recreate herself. Blasters need to move to survive (at least until they get things like superspeed and stealth) which can be really frustrating to someone not used to playing computer games (I know....).

We always set up our six year old with a tank. Hard to die. Easy to play (an Inv Scrapper works too).
That's why she's got me following her around always, a fire/kin controller. She doesn't go on unless I'm there to help. I'm more at risk than she is, although she once failed to get on the elevator because she thought she could run into an open door.

She plays some computer games, mostly the popcap type games (bounceout, zuma, bejeweled). She's fine using either keyboard or mouse, but we're working on using both simultaneously. She keeps hitting the scroll wheel when using the mouse to look around, so she uses the q/e keys instead, which is too slow.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:11 PM

I play the same way. Drives Brainiac4 crazy "How can you not use the MOUSE!!!!"
Old 03-17-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I play the same way. Drives Brainiac4 crazy "How can you not use the MOUSE!!!!"
In my defense, I would like to note that the actual quote is:

"I'm continually amazed that you don't use the mouse."

Note the conspicuous absence of overemphasis.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to my much beloved daughter who, despite my repeated warnings, pleadings and site blocks, likes to find anime music videos and download them, my computer is now a very large paperweight.

So, I will be off of CoH for a few days while I troubleshoot the problem (BSOD on boot, including when trying a reinstall) and dispose of my daughter's (soon-to-be) corpse.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks to my much beloved daughter who, despite my repeated warnings, pleadings and site blocks, likes to find anime music videos and download them, my computer is now a very large paperweight.

So, I will be off of CoH for a few days while I troubleshoot the problem (BSOD on boot, including when trying a reinstall) and dispose of my daughter's (soon-to-be) corpse.
But anime music videos are so cool!!

Seriously, are you certain that's the problem?
Old 03-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Ooo, links! Give us links! (Just kidding.)

I wondered what happened to you last night. I was looking forward to whacking some archvillians.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:55 AM

It really is amazing how different teams can be like night and day.

The first team I joined last night was not only incompetent, but rude and attitudey as well. One example: We had a mission set for Tenacious, fighting Tsoo in an office building. We got into a tight spot right outside the elevators on the second floor. The healer was not doing his job. I was within a hair's breadth of dying, so I and two others retreated down the elevators. After we recharged, we went back up to find that the battle was over but two of our teammates had died. One of the casualties actually said, "We were fine until some people ran. Why did you run?"

WTF?! What did he think, we decided to go shopping?

After my fourth death and umpteenth snarky comment from that "team", I quit. I hooked up almost immediately with another team. We gathered at the mission site, and I noticed it was set for Invincible. I said "Sorry guys, I'm not doing Invincible. Good luck." When they asked me why I told them I had just died four times on a Tenacious mission and didn't want to die any more tonight. They assured me we would be fine and persuaded me to stay, though I didn't have high hopes. Turns out, we managed to pull it off; in fact we did two or three missions at Invincible. We did have a few casualties now and then, but fortunately I wasn't one of them. And they were friendly and had a sense of humor throughout. Makes all the difference.

By the way, Stamina rocks!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Nordic (and anyone else interested): If you're on Virtue, I'm "@Skywatcher" on global chat channel Cecil. Except for the two teams that I mentioned earlier, all the ones I've been in were like your second one or better. I've had great luck when accepting blind invites.

Anyone else see that 1337 34|< in SC last night?
Old 03-18-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher
Anyone else see that 1337 34|< in SC last night?
Okay, I think the second word is "freak." What's the first?

I don't really mind getting blind invites; if I join and they're doing something I really don't want to do, I can opt out, though I'm not sure that's ever happened. But I know some people have a peeve about receiving blind invites, so when I'm recruiting I always send a /tell first, specifying the mission, the level, and the difficulty. I'm often thanked for it.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Okay, I think the second word is "freak." What's the first?
Leet.

Can't remember the name but one guy showed up in SC last night broadcasting in nothing but 1337. He was looking for a team. Someone else pointed out that he'd have better luck if he'd use proper English, to which 1337 34|< replied that he prefers 1337. Either he doesn't realize that the only ones who are going to take him seriously are other 1337 34|<5 or he doesn't give a damn.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Hmm...next time I run into a 1337 34|<, I'll use eunoia's line from that column.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher
Hmm...next time I run into a 1337 34|<, I'll use eunoia's line from that column.
I just tend to call leet-speakers B1FF, and confuse the hell outta them.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera
But anime music videos are so cool!!

Seriously, are you certain that's the problem?
Not 100%, because I can't boot to figure out what's wrong. I do know that she was the last one to use the computer when it was working, that she was downloaded zipped anime videos from fan sites (she finds them faster than I can block them), and it's not the first, nor the second, nor the third (about when I stopped counting) time that she's infected a computer with both virii and spyware via these downloads. Yet, if I break her fingers, I'm in the wrong.

Every time I give my kids a little rope, they find new ways to hang themselves with it.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Not 100%, because I can't boot to figure out what's wrong. I do know that she was the last one to use the computer when it was working, that she was downloaded zipped anime videos from fan sites (she finds them faster than I can block them), and it's not the first, nor the second, nor the third (about when I stopped counting) time that she's infected a computer with both virii and spyware via these downloads. Yet, if I break her fingers, I'm in the wrong.

Every time I give my kids a little rope, they find new ways to hang themselves with it.
Well, I obviously am not familiar with your family situation, kids' computer privileges, or the like, but to use a safe-sex analogy (Heh. I can just imagine D_Odd's eyebrow twitch at that phrase in this context) maybe teach her how to scan files for viruses, et cetera, before opening them up? I'm sure she's not happy about losing access to the computer while its broken, either.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Candid, it's mine she crashed. We all have our own (I upgrade so often - too often, per Ms. D_Odds - that everyone gets my hand-me-downs). She was exercising my ferrets, who reside in the same room as my computer, when she logged on to download her videos.

She has been taught how to scan downloaded files. She doesn't. (Well, maybe for a few days).

She has been told not to download files. She doesn't listen. (Well, maybe for a few days).

We do have Parental Controls on. I see all the sites she gets on and tries to get on and fails. The bulk of them are related to Sims or anime. I'll review a site I don't know and block if appropriate (she's still angry because I stopped all the fanfiction sites). I'll probably stop all downloading, which should anger her as she can't get new stuff for The Sims. I'd still prefer finger-breaking, but that's just the Sicilian in me talking.