Old 08-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

It's not the golfer. It's the caddy!

Wow, that approach shot on 18 was like the one Tiger made when it was getting dark several years back. I think he was playing in the final group with what-his-name. The "be the right club to-DAY" guy. I can never remember his name.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Wow. How often do they interview the caddy?

Hey, Tiger. Who's your caddy?

Last edited by John Mace; 08-07-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:58 PM
BANNED

See post 1.
I think Stevie shut a door . No going back now.
I was surprised they went to Williams on camera. He got a longer interview that Scott. Scott must know he has a tiger by the tail now.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:59 PM

John Mace: that was Hal Sutton at TPC. Steve Williams: "BEST WEEK OF MY LIFE" OOPS
Old 08-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
I think he was playing in the final group with what-his-name. The "be the right club to-DAY" guy. I can never remember his name.
Heh. And people say Tiger isn't bigger than the game.

Hal Sutton won 15 PGA events including a major, was Player of the Year in 1983, and was Ryder Cup captain in 2004. But when people think of him, all they remember is that he once beat Tiger Woods head to head.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Steve Williams: "BEST WEEK OF MY LIFE" OOPS
LOL. Who says Steve has an inflated ego? His post-victory interview: "There were a lot of expectations on Adam, not just myself. It's hard to explain, but he's under pressure a little bit, too." And he was totally serious.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocks View Post
LOL. Who says Steve has an inflated ego? His post-victory interview: "There were a lot of expectations on Adam, not just myself. It's hard to explain, but he's under pressure a little bit, too." And he was totally serious.
Well he carried a heavy bag around the course. I used to get 15 or 20 bucks for being a caddy.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 PM
BANNED

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/de...rn=golf-wp4473
Here is what Williams said today. Class act.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Heh. And people say Tiger isn't bigger than the game.

Hal Sutton won 15 PGA events including a major, was Player of the Year in 1983, and was Ryder Cup captain in 2004. But when people think of him, all they remember is that he once beat Tiger Woods head to head.
I think Tiger won the tournament I was talking about, not Sutton.

It's funny. I'm a big golf fan, watch a lot golf, but for some reason I have this mental block when it comes to remembering Hal Sutton's name. It has nothing to with him-- I can remember of the other guys' names. It's just him. I can see his face plain as day, but usually draw a blank on his name.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I think Tiger won the tournament I was talking about, not Sutton.

It's funny. I'm a big golf fan, watch a lot golf, but for some reason I have this mental block when it comes to remembering Hal Sutton's name. It has nothing to with him-- I can remember of the other guys' names. It's just him. I can see his face plain as day, but usually draw a blank on his name.
Hal Sutton Be the Right Club today. Youtube video.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:48 PM
BANNED

You people are going to be disappointed when Tiger wins the next major.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 PM

I won't. I'm actually a little disappointed we never got a passing-of-the-crown moment, a la Takahanada beating Chiyonofuji in their only encounter or Evander Holyfield dominating Buster Douglas and Mike Tyson. (I think we can now agree that Angel Cabrera was a fluke, no?) He had 14 majors by a ridiculously young age and then shot everything to hell.

Now he's starting from scratch; no aura of invincibility, no shady rulings, no mobs of fans willing to move a boulder for him (seriously, that actually happened once). If he does ever win another major...and I have absolutely no idea if this is going to happen...he'll have earned it. Should be fun to watch in any case.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
Now he's starting from scratch; no aura of invincibility, no shady rulings, no mobs of fans willing to move a boulder for him (seriously, that actually happened once). If he does ever win another major...and I have absolutely no idea if this is going to happen...he'll have earned it. Should be fun to watch in any case.
You seem to be confusing "shady rulings" with your own hazy knowledge of the rules.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:56 AM

Admittedly "Spirit of the Rules" is nebulous at best, but IMO, the boulder (as a loose impediment) and the ball on the clubhouse roof at Akron was in not within the spirit of the rules. YMMV of course.

And Gonzo, Tiger better hurry and find a golf game if he is going to win the next major. It is this week.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 AM
BANNED

Plenty of time.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
Plenty of time.
I want Tiger to win as much as anyone, but this will not be his week. The consensus on Atlanta is that driving will be at a premium this week, and that is the worst part of Tiger's game.

The good news is that he's apparently healthy, and thanks to Steve, has plenty of motivation. I expect him back in the winner's circle next year.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:08 PM

Tiger is back! ....Back home!

He failed to make the cut at the PGA Championship.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Too bad, but not a big surprise.

The biggest surprise for me was Ryo Ishikawa shooting an 85 yesterday, after playing so well last week.

And the three guys who were supposed to dominate this year --- Dustin Johnson, Martin Kaymer, and Graeme McDowell --- all MC'd as well.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

That course looks BRUTAL!! I'm pretty familiar with the courses these guys play on a regular basis, but I don't recognize this one.

Buh-bye, Tiger.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
That course looks BRUTAL!! I'm pretty familiar with the courses these guys play on a regular basis, but I don't recognize this one.

Buh-bye, Tiger.
actually if you stripe 'em about 290 or so and then have some decent distance control it plays kind of easy. of course, youv'e got to have mr. short stick comply as well.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekercpa View Post
actually if you stripe 'em about 290 or so and then have some decent distance control it plays kind of easy. of course, youv'e got to have mr. short stick comply as well.
Dang, I only hit it 289.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM

mr short stick always complies with me. . . . . Oh you are talking about the putter.

The 18th hole is a very poorly designed golf hole. But its Rees Jones what do you expect. It should either be 50 yds longer an a par 5, or have a driving area about 10 yds wider. Players are laying up off the tee because of the fairway width, leaving them a 200+ forced carry. I am not too concerned whether they call it a par 4 or par 5, it doesn't matter, a turd by any other name would smell as bad.

I guess it is a par 5 for the membership, but I imagine most of the better players laying up with a 7 or 8 iron and pitching it to the green as there is no bail out to go for the green in two.

It looks Tiger is done on the US Tour for 2011. Small chance he might play in a fall Series event, but I doubt it. The folks at the Chevron Challenge might have to find a loophole in the OWGR requirements so they can invite Tiger.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 PM

Jack's record is safe-sorry, no attempt this time to soften that with weasel words, Tiger simply isn't catching him. I was going to write that he might win another major, maybe two, but frankly I don't think he's going to do even that. Sad in a way-part of me was pulling for him to do it, even tho Jack was my idol when I was a teen-I just don't see him getting his crap together again, mentally or physically.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
mr short stick always complies with me. . . . . Oh you are talking about the putter.

The 18th hole is a very poorly designed golf hole. But its Rees Jones what do you expect. It should either be 50 yds longer an a par 5, or have a driving area about 10 yds wider. Players are laying up off the tee because of the fairway width, leaving them a 200+ forced carry. I am not too concerned whether they call it a par 4 or par 5, it doesn't matter, a turd by any other name would smell as bad.
<snipped>

and as usual we can't be more disagreeable. i love the durn hole. typical risk reward rees stuff. i mean fuck we aren't playing against the card. and if you want to pussy out and try for four with an 8 iron and i am a stroke back you can bet the house that i am gripping and ripping.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:40 PM

it's kind of like 18 at silverhorn from the tippies. bust one and you've got a 200+ carry to make the green. put it on the right side and you have legitimate chance for 3. plug it in front bunker and you will be lucky to make 6. or play conservative and hope that a wedge gets you 4. i like a 3 shot swinger on 18.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:14 AM
BANNED

Tiger is back. Well back in Florida.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
Jack's record is safe-sorry, no attempt this time to soften that with weasel words, Tiger simply isn't catching him.
Way too early to make that call. He's just 35, and he's only been practicing for three weeks. The last two times he made radical swing changes, it took him a couple of years of practice to internalize them, and that was without injuries.

We've never seen this from Tiger before, but it's normal for every other golfer. You look like Hogan one week, and Hogan's mom the next. Most pros miss more cuts in a season than Tiger has in his career.

Last edited by brocks; 08-13-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:48 PM
BANNED

Wow is Dufner gasping for air. He is leaking on all cylinders.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Most pros miss more cuts in a season than Tiger has in his career.
Keegan Bradley, 2011 PGA Champion, 8 missed cuts this year (so far).
Old 08-14-2011, 07:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The new Tiger is born.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is he a John Daly or a Shaun Micheel?

I say in between, but closer to Daly. I think he's got some game. Bloodlines, too. He's the nephew of Pat Bradley, six time LPGA major winner.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

And Stevie backed up his win last week with a solid 7th place today.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:50 PM

For a bunch of journeyman at the top of the leaderboard, I thought the last nine holes was riveting. Jason Dufner and Keegan Bradley were both trending on twitter. so much for needing a certain player to move the needle. I am very happy that Keegan won, a fellow Vermonter. He is a rookie on the PGAT, not surprising that he has had some indifferent results.

He has basically clinched Rookie of the Year and is the front runner for Player of the Year.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 PM
BANNED

Dufner was 4 up with 4 to play. He will have trouble sleeping for a while. He will be replaying the last 4 in his mind ,over and over.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Dufner was 4 up with 4 to play. He will have trouble sleeping for a while. He will be replaying the last 4 in his mind ,over and over.
He was actually 5 strokes ahead after Keegan tripled 15 while Dufner was on the 15th tee. Dufner bogeyed 15,16,17 (a good bogey on 15 after dunking t-shot). And Keegan birdied 16 and 17.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 AM
BANNED

Bradley won the first major he ever qualified to enter. He should quit now.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 PM
BANNED

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/6...dents-cup-team Couples selected Tiger for the presidents Cup in Australia. This could open him up for criticism if the Americans lose and Tiger gets creamed.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/6...dents-cup-team Couples selected Tiger for the presidents Cup in Australia. This could open him up for criticism if the Americans lose and Tiger gets creamed.
Gee,lets hope tigger doesn't get opened up for criticism.That would be bad.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:19 PM

How can anyone blame Couples? The potential upside with Tiger is FAR greater than the potential upside of the #12 ranked American player on the PGA tour, whoever that is.

If Tiger is healthy by Ryder Cup time, he'd be a much greater asset to the team than anyone else Couples could have picked.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
How can anyone blame Couples? The potential upside with Tiger is FAR greater than the potential upside of the #12 ranked American player on the PGA tour, whoever that is.

If Tiger is healthy by Ryder Cup time, he'd be a much greater asset to the team than anyone else Couples could have picked.
It's just an exhibition anyway. Most Americans would rather see Tiger play than anyone else, and for the rest of the world, it's probably more like 10 to 1.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
It's just an exhibition anyway. Most Americans would rather see Tiger play than anyone else, and for the rest of the world, it's probably more like 10 to 1.

The TV networks care about how many people tune in, and they DEFINITELY wanted TIger playing for the sake of ratings.

I'm pretty sure Fred Couples doesn't care about that in the least. He wants the U.S. team to win. He figures that, if Tiger Woods is healthy by Ryder Cup time, he'll be ONE of the best players in the world, even if he's no longer head and shoulders above anybody else. That makes him a better choice than MANY guys who had more points this past season.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:49 AM

The ratings are going to be tiny, no matter if TW plays or does not play. The event is Australia, with a 14? hour time difference. The matches will be shown on tape delay against College Football and NFL Football. The only people that will watch are the golf fans, and the golf fans will watch no matter what. The Fringe fans (aka Tiger Woods fans) are not going to tune away from football to watch a golf event that results are already known.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:37 AM

I don't know why I kept saying "Ryder Cup" when it's the Prresident's CUp we're talking about.

Sorry- wasn't paying close enough attention to what I was reading or writing.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post

Tiger is supposed to be healthy. He just is not playing well. Couples wants Tiger to play a couple tournaments before the cup. I think Tiger believes the weekly tournaments are beneath him.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Tiger is supposed to be healthy. He just is not playing well. Couples wants Tiger to play a couple tournaments before the cup. I think Tiger believes the weekly tournaments are beneath him.
Don't blame Tiger; that's the way the season was designed. The top pros are supposed to be done after the FedEx Cup. That's why winning a Fall Finish event doesn't get you an invitation to the Masters.

As for Tiger not playing well, that's only true by his standards. His official ranking is more due to inactivity than poor performance. If you compute his average WGR points per event over the last two years, he's higher than all but about five or six Americans, and about 15th in the world. The reason his official rank is so low is because they divide his point total by 40, the minimum divisor, even though he's only played 30 events in the last two years.

Number 11 on the PC points list, Ricky Bieber, has played MUCH worse than Tiger over the last two years. Even sitting out two majors this year, Tiger has had four top 4's in majors since hydrantgate; Fowler has had one top ten in his life, and only two top 35's. Tiger has missed two cuts in the last two years; Fowler has missed 14. Yes, he plays more often than Tiger, but not seven times as often. Not even twice as often.

Last edited by brocks; 08-27-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:50 AM

Its a fallacy that Tiger ranking is plummeting because of "inactivity" The fact is that Tiger has not finished better than 4th in any PGATournament, has been unable to string two good rounds together since the hydrant. TW missed 6 tournaments because of the alleged knee/achilles this summer. He earned a total of 38 OWGR ranking points in those 6 tournaments in 2010. If you added in those 38 points he would be barely in the top 20. He has lost more spots in the rankings due to poor play than he has inactivity. The facts is that the tournaments that are impacting his ranking the most is a 2nd place in a 18 man field Silly season event which he choked away and a Masters, which he could not finish the round after an outstanding 9 holes on Sunday.

How about the missed cuts fallacy? Tiger has played in 6 tournaments this year that actually had a cut. He missed the cut in one of them. He would have missed the cut in the TPC, he WD be after being plus 6 after nine holes, and there is a chance that he would have missed the cut at Bridgestone if it was a full field PGAT event. He wasn't even close at the PGA. 6 shots.

right now, depending on how the next month plays out, my Prez Cup picks would be for Keegan Bradley and Gary Woodland. Two players that were behind the 8 ball before the season began because they didn't play on the Tour last year. 2010 events count 1x, 2011 events count 2x. Keegan Bradley should be automatically qualified, as of right now he is the leading candidate for Player of the year. I don't know how the Probable PoY can not be qualified for the team. Woodland can be bumped by a another player who might have a good playoffs.

I think it is time the PGAT started to take the eggs out of the TW basket. He is a bridge to the past and right now, he is just another player on tour. It aint the injuries fault that he missed the playoffs. He "Mailed it in" on the weekend at Torrey Pines. he couldn't find the planet on the 19th hole against Thomas Bjorn in the matchplay. All he needed was 18 more FE points to make playoffs.

And the 8 tournament fallacy? he was healthy when he skipped Sony, when he skipped Hope, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Honda, Tampa, and Houston. he chose not play those events. It was not an injury issue. and he chose not to play Wyndham.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:18 PM

FWIW, Rickie Fowler is not 11th on the Prez Cup points list. going into this week, he is 12th and headed to 13th after Snedeker's probable 3rd place finish today,

Possibly 14th if Jonathan Byrd finishes the last two holes birdie - birdie.

And I would not be picking him, but he is much higher than TW on my list.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Its a fallacy that Tiger ranking is plummeting because of "inactivity"
No, it isn't. He will plummet even faster now that he's out of the playoffs. In a month, he'll be down to 26 events played in the WGR window, but his divisor will still be 40. That means that his official average will be almost twice as low as his actual average.

Quote:
TW missed 6 tournaments because of the alleged knee/achilles this summer.
LOL. To think that Tiger would miss two majors over an "alleged" injury is right up there with the birthers and the fake moon landings.

Quote:
He earned a total of 38 OWGR ranking points in those 6 tournaments in 2010. If you added in those 38 points he would be barely in the top 20.
But adding in those events would have been enough to get him into the FedEx Playoffs, where he did very well last year. Not well enough to overcome starting from near the bottom of the qualifiers, but well enough to help his ranking.

Quote:
He has lost more spots in the rankings due to poor play than he has inactivity.
No, he hasn't. Even if you start from #1, he'd be around 15th if they used the actual divisor, rather than the minimum divisor. That's a loss of 14 spots due to performance. Since he's currently ranked 36th, he's lost 22 spots to inactivity.

Quote:
The facts is that the tournaments that are impacting his ranking the most is a 2nd place in a 18 man field Silly season event which he choked away and a Masters, which he could not finish the round after an outstanding 9 holes on Sunday.
The top golfers in the world played in both of those events, and I'm pretty sure that Tiger had the best combined performance in them. So I don't understand the sneer. No, he didn't win them, but neither did anyone else except for two players.

Quote:
How about the missed cuts fallacy? Tiger has played in 6 tournaments this year that actually had a cut. He missed the cut in one of them. He would have missed the cut in the TPC, he WD be after being plus 6 after nine holes, and there is a chance that he would have missed the cut at Bridgestone if it was a full field PGAT event. He wasn't even close at the PGA. 6 shots.
That is horrible by Tiger's standards. That is not remarkable at all by normal standards, including world class players. And I repeat my chuckle if you don't think his WD was for a legitimate injury, which had him on crutches for a month, and made him miss two majors.

Quote:
right now, depending on how the next month plays out, my Prez Cup picks would be for Keegan Bradley and Gary Woodland. Two players that were behind the 8 ball before the season began because they didn't play on the Tour last year. 2010 events count 1x, 2011 events count 2x. Keegan Bradley should be automatically qualified, as of right now he is the leading candidate for Player of the year. I don't know how the Probable PoY can not be qualified for the team. Woodland can be bumped by a another player who might have a good playoffs.
I thoroughly agree with Bradley being the other pick. The only thing I can say for Woodland is he would be a better pick than Fowler.

Quote:
I think it is time the PGAT started to take the eggs out of the TW basket. He is a bridge to the past and right now, he is just another player on tour. It aint the injuries fault that he missed the playoffs. He "Mailed it in" on the weekend at Torrey Pines. he couldn't find the planet on the 19th hole against Thomas Bjorn in the matchplay. All he needed was 18 more FE points to make playoffs.

And the 8 tournament fallacy? he was healthy when he skipped Sony, when he skipped Hope, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Honda, Tampa, and Houston. he chose not play those events. It was not an injury issue. and he chose not to play Wyndham.
I'm sure that Tiger is almost as mad as you about missing the playoffs, but he didn't plan on getting injured at the Masters, and reinjured at the Players. If he could go back in time and change something, I can think of a few things that would be ahead of playing the Hope and the Honda.

Last edited by brocks; 08-27-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:45 PM
BANNED

No matter how you slice it, Tiger did not qualify for the Presidents Cup. His play has been poor. He has missed a lot of time and is not sharp. He ought to play every event he can to get his game back, assuming he can.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
No matter how you slice it, Tiger did not qualify for the Presidents Cup. His play has been poor. He has missed a lot of time and is not sharp. He ought to play every event he can to get his game back, assuming he can.
All I can say is I hope he does. He says his knee is healthy now; he has had more time to get used to his new swing; and he has a state of the art practice facility in his back yard. I expect him to have a much sharper short game by November, and that plus distance control is really all he needs to be on top again. Driving better would be nice, but he's been driving erratically since 2003, and he played some of the most consistently excellent golf the world has ever seen in 2005-9.