Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 PM

Kerbal Space Program

Thisgame is KILLING all of my free time.

Basically, you build and fire rockets. Solid Fuel motors, liquid fuel motors, and decent physics. The key is to download some of the community created mods, to open up a whole range of rocket parts.

So, this is a game that is in development at the moment, and is downloadable as a free game in Alpha. This means that it has some bugs (landing on the far side of the planet makes you explode, for instance).

I haven't had this much fun with a game since I got hooked on Minecraft, and I think there is more potential here.

The planet currently lacks spin, but it does have (ludicrous) gravity. Someone on their wiki site has put up a chart of horizontal velocities needed to make a clean orbit, and holy cow, it works. I'm having a BLAST.

Sometimes literally.

Anyone else playing this?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Yes, but I haven't downloaded any mods yet - not sure which are the good ones.
Getting into orbit isn't THAT hard to do - but I found it satisfying.
Tried going for max altitude - think it was 1300 Megameters (I'm sure I can do better)

Brian
Old 08-24-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
Tried going for max altitude - think it was 1300 Megameters (I'm sure I can do better)

Brian
What exactly is a megameter?

For mods, I would suggest the Sunday Punch mod, and the Silisko Donut Design mod... those will open up your options quite a bit, and are still firmly grounded in reality. Some larger fuel tanks, larger SRB's, different engines, and most interestingly ways to develop a 2 or 3 meter wide rocket, with comparable fuel and thrust... BOOM!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

A megameter is 1000 kilometers
The altitude readout goes to 999,999K - after that it changes to 1,000M

Brian
Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 AM

Thank you! I suppose that makes sense.

I'll admit, other than making bigger and faster ships, I've grown bored with just putting stuff in orbit. I can't wait till they release a moon, or space station....
Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM

I'm lovign this game. Been playing it pretty much since it came out, and I'm still sitting here at working going "Okay, so tonight I'm gonna build one with six wings and two side rockets and..."

And I second getting Sunday Punch's and NovaSilisko's mods. They're pretty much a neccessity. Someone also just build a near complete mod of the Saturn V, which is pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post

Brian
There's no real altitude limit. Once you hit escape velocity, you'll basically keep going until the game is trying to laod too much and the whole thing crashes. I think that's supposed to be fix in the next update or two when he changes how the world is generated.

ETA: Also on the KSP site, someone's made an orbital calculator, so you can punch in your altitude and it'll give you the right velocity for a circular orbit. (Or elliptical if you choose so)

Last edited by enalzi; 08-30-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:57 PM

I just read on the forums about a dude who was trying to push to C with some cheat engines.... I really hope the dev puts in some sort of awesome thing for folks that work to such things.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:11 AM

So, thanks to this thread, I downloaded and have been playing for a couple of hours.

And right now I'm watching my latest creation orbit Kerbal. Over and over again. For the past hour, in fact. And I'm not doing anything, because it's out of fuel. It's just going around and around and around, and for some reason I can't stop watching.

I have to admit, that first orbital dawn was pretty cool. Too bad my three little kerbonauts are doomed. Bill and Bob seem to realize the hopelessness of their situation, but Jeb seems to be enjoying himself.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:44 AM

It's a given, in the forums, that Jeb both has ice water in his veins, and is also insane.

What is your perigee? If its' low enough, you might be able to deploy your chute if you can catch a bit of atmosphere.

If not, yeah, I have left more than a few capsules containing hero's in perpetual orbit.

The game Dev says that the game, when finished, should be persistent.... leave a capsule in orbit, it'll still be there the next time you make a run. Should be interesting.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:51 PM

I like the idea that the reason that Jeb is so cool is that there's only two side windows in the command module. So Jeb can't see outside and has no idea what's going on.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 AM

For those interested, version .10 launched last week. Apparently it addresses some stabilizing issues, as well as debuts joystick controls and a new terrain engine.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:31 AM

My computer won't support this game.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 PM

I'm in orbit! I have a perigee of about 201,000 m and an apogee of 371,074 m. I have just a little bit of fuel left (maybe an eighth of a tank) and I don't know if I should use it to get back to the planet, or to stabilize my orbit.

Oddly, I saw fireworks next to my rocket on my way up to space. I hadn't deployed any stages in a while, so I'm not sure if it was a bug or not. It was two explosions on either side of my rocket, too symmetrical to be coincidences.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:20 PM

I'm going to bump this thread, because the game has been updated with a bunch of new features! There is now a Moon (The Mun) and I just crashed into it. I thought I was going to skim along the surface, but I ran into a mountain! I want to try to land on it, then return safely to Kerbin. There is a new map feature to help track your orbit and a time warp feature to speed up the long waits. Give it another shot!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Took several tries and four different designs but I finally built a rocket that works! Achieved 62,000M!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Design #5 went into orbit! Unfortunately, it's orbiting the sun.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:01 AM

I've killed so many Kerbals that I'm certain to go down in Kerbin history as some sort of Stalin.

Many of their corpses now orbit Kerbin endlessly, silently.

I did manage to finally get REALLY close to a lunar orbit, but my designs never have enough fuel to quite reach the Mun.

My last attempt, Big Bertha IV, was a huge monstrosity of stacked liquid fuel tanks in the "asparagus" configuration. It finally managed to leave the Kerbin atmosphere, traveling at oh, 60 MPH or so. Damn thing came back down like a rock.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 AM

So is there anywhere that it actually says what the system requirements are? I'd like to try it, and apparently it does work on OS X, but nowhere on the site can I find someplace setting out the base requirements to run it.

Last edited by LawMonkey; 04-30-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMonkey View Post
So is there anywhere that it actually says what the system requirements are? I'd like to try it, and apparently it does work on OS X, but nowhere on the site can I find someplace setting out the base requirements to run it.
Yeah, I'd say their webpage isn't that great at providing solid information, but these are the system requirements listed on Steam:
Processor: Dual Core Intel
Memory:2 GB RAM
Graphics:SM3 512MB VRAM
Hard Drive:1 GB HD space

Last edited by Telperion; 04-30-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 PM

There's also a demo on their Web site that you can grab to see how your system handles the game.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM

I just started playing it a few weeks ago. Very addictive.

My latest accomplishment was docking two small capsules in orbit around Kerbal. Now I'm working on developing a reliable heavy lifter so I can get a space station and a Mun landing.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

I'm content with trying different designs and seeing how high they can get. Never had the funds to do this with Estes.

ETA: how do I set the fuel tanks to be used in stages rather than dumping everything into the main motor?

Last edited by Skywatcher; 04-30-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher View Post
I'm content with trying different designs and seeing how high they can get. Never had the funds to do this with Estes.

ETA: how do I set the fuel tanks to be used in stages rather than dumping everything into the main motor?
I've seen people get to the moon using the "asparagus" system (not me though. I blame those damned Kerbal scientists! Wouldn't know a tertiary aft manifold from a box of stembolts. Self-sealing or not).

So, you have a central tank, and an even number of tanks surrounding that central one. You want to place some type of decoupler between the main tank and the auxilliary ones, of course. Start with any of the auxiliari tanks and connect it to an adjacent tank with a fuel hose. Then connect that one to the next, and so on until you reach half the number of auxilliary tanks (if you have 6, then stop at number 3). Now connect that tank to the central tank via the fuel hose. Repeat the same process with the other tanks, but make sure you are mirroring what you did before. This way, when you jettison the tanks you'll be throwing down two at a time both on opposite sides of your rocket.

Now add the engines on the bottom of all your tanks, and just set up your stages so that all the engines are first, then at stage two you are decoupling the first two auxilliary tanks, followed by stage 3, where you decouple the next two in the sequence, and so on.

While you're flying just make sure you keep an eye on your fuel gauges. Every time two of the auxilliary tanks go dry, hit the space bar to send those two tanks away, the rest should have full tanks now, and since there's less atmosphere ot contend with, you should be in good shape.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

I want to build a multi-stage like the Saturn V but the launch stage uses all the fuel and nothing is left for the other stages.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I want to build a multi-stage like the Saturn V but the launch stage uses all the fuel and nothing is left for the other stages.
You can use decouplers between stages, as well as place engines between them too.

So stack tank 1, place engine underneath, place decoupler, place tank 2, place engine underneath, place decoupler, place tank 3, etc, etc. In this configuration they won't syphon fuel from stages above them.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 04-30-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
So stack tank 1, place engine underneath, place decoupler, place tank 2, place engine underneath, place decoupler, place tank 3, etc, etc. In this configuration they won't syphon fuel from stages above them.
That's what I've been doing but the engines for the other stages only emit a puff of smoke after the launch engine burns for a long time.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
That's what I've been doing but the engines for the other stages only emit a puff of smoke after the launch engine burns for a long time.
After you stage and nothing happens, if you right click on the top tank does it show that it's empty? If your setup is simply capsule, fuel tank, engine, stack decoupler, fuel tank, engine, I can't think of a scenario where it would be.

Last edited by Mithras; 04-30-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

OK, the tanks have fuel but the engines aren't firing for some reason.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
OK, the tanks have fuel but the engines aren't firing for some reason.
Look at the staging queue -- the sequence of things that happen when you press the space bar. Is it possible that you have the decoupler and the ignition of the next stage in separate boxes? If so you'll need to press the space bar again after the decoupler fires to start the engine.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamster King View Post
If so you'll need to press the space bar again after the decoupler fires to start the engine.
I do that but all I get is a puff of smoke.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 PM

Are you throttling up? If your first stage is a solid rocket, it doesn't use the throttle, it just burns at full thrust until it's done. Then when you stage to your liquid rocket your throttle will still be at zero and nothing will happen. I've done that a few times.

Last edited by The Hamster King; 04-30-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 PM

Also, if you've used jet fuel instead of liquid rocket fuel for the upper stage you'll get the symptoms you describe.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Also, if you've used jet fuel instead of liquid rocket fuel for the upper stage you'll get the symptoms you describe.
Aha! That must be it.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Last night I finally got a reliable heavy lift rocket working. It was six large mainsail engines in an asparagus formation with the payload nestled in the center. I managed to launch a full orange fuel tank into a perfect 100k orbit.

It turns out that proper bracing is really important with larger rockets. If your engines are wobbling then you can't hold a steady course even with SAS.

Next, a space station ... then on to the Mun!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:13 PM

I made it to the mun last night, but I didn't have enough fuel for a landing. Ended up smashing into it

I want to provide a refueling station around both Kerbin and the Mun, but tit;s not clear exactly how to accomplish this. I wish the flavor text for the various parts was set aside, and some plain English description of the part's purpose was the first thing you saw. I'm not sure if I need a docking port, if there is some sort of refueling port, etc, etc.

Anyone managed to get a working refueling space station running?
Old 05-05-2013, 03:43 PM

For a refueling station, the minimum you need is a tank of fuel with a docking port connected to it. The port doesn't need to be directly connected to the tank, though (your station could be a tank connected to a lander can with the port connected to the top of the can, for example). To refuel, you dock your ship to the station, select the station's tank and your ship's tank while holding either crtl or alt, and click the dialog that comes up to transfer fuel.

But if you've never done docking before, you'll find it much easier to focus on efficiency than refueling. It eventually gets to be trivial to land fairly large craft on the mun with plenty of fuel left to return. I can get to and land on Duna without refueling, though do need some fuel in orbit if I'm planning to return.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

Finally am giving this a try. Hooked! What fun! Die, Kerbals, die! I mean, great job, astronauts! Every step is a step closer to the moon!
Old 06-15-2013, 05:39 PM

Game is $15 on steam this weekend. Since they say they're going to use a minecraft model, it's not likely to be cheaper than that anytime soon.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Recent accomplishments of which I am inordinately proud : multiple Mün landings, some with Kerbals who survived the return to Kermin, probes in orbit around Minmus, Eve, Duna, Jool, and Kermin, a rover on Eve, and successful sub-orbital space planes.

TBD: a Kerbaled Duna landing and return, an orbital space plane, a successful orbital rendezvous.

Wwheeeeeee!
Old 06-16-2013, 05:41 AM

So I finally designed a reliable vehicle and I get my crew of 3 up into a nice circular orbit 150km above earth. I have plenty of fuel left to maneuver or deorbit them. I get up to grab a drink and I grab my joystick to move it, except in the process I grabbed the trigger which was set to activate the next stage. That stage was to eject the last engine. Now my Kerbals are circling the Earth with no way to de-orbit. Always something.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:18 AM

I've been playing for a couple of weeks. I've put probes in orbit around Mun and Minimus, and crashed several rovers on the Mun. One even kinda survived, but minus one wheel and no functional solar panels. I did manage to launch Jeremiah out of the solar system once, I feel bad about that.

ETA: Oh, and I also sent one Kerbal to orbit the Mun and then got him home safely.

Last edited by PacifistPorcupine; 06-16-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:45 AM

I've been playing the demo, and will buy the full game tomorrow if Steam lets me. So far I've been playing around in LKO for the most part, building unusual rockets and seeing which ones can actually make it to orbit, but I do have one in a highly eccentric orbit that extends beyond Mun.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Game is $15 on steam this weekend. Since they say they're going to use a minecraft model, it's not likely to be cheaper than that anytime soon.
I haven't had anything to do with Minecraft. What is the "Minecraft Model?"
Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 PM

It means they sell it for cheap in a very early stage of the development, and gradually as the game becomes more complete the price rises. I'm guessing you're not going to see this game for under $10 for a while, so might as well buy it now if you're interested. Just a guess though.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
It means they sell it for cheap in a very early stage of the development, and gradually as the game becomes more complete the price rises. I'm guessing you're not going to see this game for under $10 for a while, so might as well buy it now if you're interested. Just a guess though.
Thanks.

All the youtube vids seem to be people talking over the game fx. Are the Kerbals funny? If they say funny stuff and make funny noises, I'm on-board. I need me some minions is SPAAAAAAACE!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 PM

No, the kerbals don't really do anything except look confused and scared a lot. They're just things for you to kill on your merciless quest to ram into the moon.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
No, the kerbals don't really do anything except look confused and scared a lot. They're just things for you to kill on your merciless quest to ram into the moon.
Boo hiss! The game sounds interesting, but if they're not screaming and running around bumping into things and talking nonsense, they missed the boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYBw_o_2nG0
Old 06-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So I finally designed a reliable vehicle and I get my crew of 3 up into a nice circular orbit 150km above earth. I have plenty of fuel left to maneuver or deorbit them. I get up to grab a drink and I grab my joystick to move it, except in the process I grabbed the trigger which was set to activate the next stage. That stage was to eject the last engine. Now my Kerbals are circling the Earth with no way to de-orbit. Always something.
An opportunity for an exciting mission: Kerbal space rescue!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:13 AM

Does the game actually have some sort of aids for intercept, or do you just have to sort of wing it manually? The tutorials are severely lacking. Could I actually effect a rescue?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

You could. The "lander can" would work: launch it attached to a command module, rendezvous with the stranded Kerbal, have the Kerbal EVA over to the lander can, de-orbit, splashdown. The orbital rendezvous is the tricky part.

For the rendezvous, set the stranded module as a target. Get the orbital inclination to match using the orbital maneuvers tool. Just remember how orbital mechanics work: larger orbits are slower, but require burning prograde. Smaller orbits are faster, but require burning retrograde. It's a bit counterintuitive, or at least for me it is.

Last edited by Knorf; 06-17-2013 at 12:34 AM.