Old 05-08-2017, 07:07 PM

Another thing that pisses me off is the lack of a workshop. Hate having to hunt down mods in some community forum a la 2005.

Nexus sucks too, it still looks and navigates like ti was designed circa early 2000's. and apparently they don't host many Kerbal mods anyway. What a way to drop the ball for this game.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I agree. I always thought that once the game was out of beta they would sort out the mods issue. But no and because of it I've had to uninstall and reinstall the game more than once.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Well, there's ckan, though it's not a lot friendlier than the forum method.

Thing is, quite a lot of the more significant mods have interdependencies. You can't just put RP-Zero up in a Steam Workshop setting because it requires 7 other substantial mods to work at all, and a further 10 to function as intended. And some of those probably have further dependencies. Which is why ckan looks like a linux install system.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
Well, there's ckan, though it's not a lot friendlier than the forum method.

Thing is, quite a lot of the more significant mods have interdependencies. You can't just put RP-Zero up in a Steam Workshop setting because it requires 7 other substantial mods to work at all, and a further 10 to function as intended. And some of those probably have further dependencies. Which is why ckan looks like a linux install system.
There's always some level of coo-operation that happens when mods are interdependent. The authors usually allow for bundling in those cases, or in the case of the workshop, the author simply creates and links to a collection of dependencies that the user can then just automagically subscribe to with click of a button. That's why I miss workshop support. It's all so easy. It's not perfect though; we still don't have an easy way to unsubscribe from a lot of mods at once.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 05-09-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:05 AM

Well, the other problem is that the mods appear to be very fragile. Many of them break with just about every point release of the software. So if you've got a long chain of mod dependencies, good luck whenever kerbal gets updatd.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:09 PM

Bump

Is anybody still playing this game?

I bought it back around Christmas when it was on sale and I fiddly-farted around with it a little but I never really got it. I ran through a few of the tutorials distractedly and that didn't help. But lately, I've spent a little more quality time with the tutorials and I believe I've semi-mastered orbital flight (achieving it, manipulating it, ending it safely). I've also managed to get a little more clarity on the build side regarding precisely what I need in what stages in order to accomplish things -- though I'm still a little hit or miss on knowing how much fuel and power I should be using. I've got this bug up my ass about wanting to put together a space station that I can just keep adding modules to at my whim once I figure out the docking systems.

I've been dabbling in it over the last few weeks and just yesterday they unveiled a new update that adds some handy control features - like a little dashboard where you can eye-ball your apoapsis and periapsis from the cockpit, and some other little upgrades in control and appearance here and there.

I'm completely in awe of some of the videos I'm seeing on YouTube and from some of the Workshop things I've downloaded. I launched Falcon Heavy yesterday. Blew it all to hell and gone but I did save the rover in the nose cone.

I should probably go back and read the thread to see what I've been missing, but at any rate, I thought if there were any wayward Kerbalers out there they might at least like to know about the update.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Is anybody still playing this game? ...
I play it semi-regularly. I'll have to get in tonight and dabble with the update. Maybe I'll see if I can recreate SpaceIL's "landing"

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 04-11-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
... they unveiled a new update that adds some handy control features - like a little dashboard where you can eye-ball your apoapsis and periapsis from the cockpit ...
Correction: you can use the dashboard on any screen - external camera, cockpit, map view, whatever.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:15 PM

I'm still playing it. I just installed realism upgrade, which turns the Kerbal system into our own, with all the correct gravities, etc. It's much harder!
Old 04-11-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I'm still playing it. I just installed realism upgrade, which turns the Kerbal system into our own, with all the correct gravities, etc. It's much harder!
Iíd say it canít be that hard, itís not rocket science... But it literally is.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:07 PM

Great game, still dabble now and then. I have around 250 hours total in the last 5 years or so.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:33 PM

This is one of the few games I've played where I'm having a lot of fun failing. I built a completely serviceable, and sharp looking, orbital rocket and properly blew it up on the launch pad because I had the structural thingies on their own stage, before the rockets fired. Anyway, it's not a perfect craft but it gets me into orbit and I'm pretty good now (using the SAS controls) at getting my orbit where I want it and getting back to Kerbal safely.

This afternoon I was experimenting with the maneuver modes without going through the tutorials. So far I've got two dead-stick crews out there, one in perpetual orbit around Kerbal and another halfway to the Kuiper Belt or whatever the Kerbal equivalent is. I was shooting for the Mun, but I guess you could say I missed.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
This is one of the few games I've played where I'm having a lot of fun failing. I built a completely serviceable, and sharp looking, orbital rocket and properly blew it up on the launch pad because I had the structural thingies on their own stage, before the rockets fired. Anyway, it's not a perfect craft but it gets me into orbit and I'm pretty good now (using the SAS controls) at getting my orbit where I want it and getting back to Kerbal safely.

This afternoon I was experimenting with the maneuver modes without going through the tutorials. So far I've got two dead-stick crews out there, one in perpetual orbit around Kerbal and another halfway to the Kuiper Belt or whatever the Kerbal equivalent is. I was shooting for the Mun, but I guess you could say I missed.
I have had a lot of fun rescuing stranded kerbonauts from previous failures. Good thing they live forever in their tiny ships and apparently stay happy. I don't have to feel bad leaving Jeb in an elliptical orbit between Kerbin and Jool for 20 years because I ran out of fuel for the proper Jool Injection Orbit.