Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I do feel that I am in the early stages of the Mercury program. I was able to return Bill safely back to Kerbin.

I then tried to put a 'Sputnik' into orbit. Man, that was a great deal harder than I thought it should have been. I am really curious as to how other people have designed their launch vehicles. I am wondering how big I have to build to be able to put an object in orbit around Mun.

First stage: Parachute, command, 1 90 units liquid tank , 3-4 medium landing struts, 3-4 24-77 engines.

Second stage: SAS, ASAS, RCS tank, 3 RCS, 1 180 units liquid tank, nuke engine.

Third stage: 4 long solid boosters.

Fourth stage: 4 Mk1 jet fuselage with jet fuel, 8 turbojet engines, 16 ramair intakes. Some bracing added.

I make it to stable Kerbin orbit with more than 130 fuel to spare in my second stage tank. From there, it's easy and fuel-cheap to swing to the Mun if you wait until for the right moment and use your fuel conservatively. That's enough to land on the Mun and perhaps make it back to Kerbil although I'm not sure about the latter; I don't have much practice taking off from the Mun.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 06-20-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I then tried to put a 'Sputnik' into orbit. Man, that was a great deal harder than I thought it should have been. I am really curious as to how other people have designed their launch vehicles. I am wondering how big I have to build to be able to put an object in orbit around Mun.
I used a two stage rocket:

Payload
Size 1 decoupler
FL-T400 (small, size 1 fuel tank)
LV-909 (small, size 1 liquid rocket)
Size 1 decoupler
Size 2-to-size 1 adapter
Jumbo-64 (large, size 2 fuel tank)
Skipper (medium, size 2 liquid rocket)
3 fins
3 support towers
Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 AM

Son of a bitch. I'm taking out a test flight on a new design, and everything is going well and I realize my orbit is on a good path to alter to intercept minmus. Cool. So I head out towards minmus, make a few corrections along the way, and actually manage to plot a course to orbit minmus. My second stage gets me into an almost-orbit around minmus, but I have a last stage with just the command module, a small fuel tank, and a small engine. Plenty enough to make that last burn to get into minmus orbit, and then even enough left to break the orbit and get back to Kerbin.

Except, as I said, it was a new design, and I realized too late that I forgot a decoupler. When I jettison the second stage to start the third stage, I realize I accidentally eject the third stage too. I'm now just a command module and I'm on a collision course with minmus.

On the plus side, two missions in a row I crashed into two different moons. That's something.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Hilarious disasters stemming from critical design failure that you discover only very late in the mission are definitely part and parcel of the Kerbal Space Program experience.

On my first Mün landing, when I designed the lander/command module (which I used as an integrated unit, rather than attempting a rendezvous with separate modules, which I'm still not good at), I noticed that I could put an small SAS unit on top of the three-man command module. I thought, great plan! I'll put one there, and put the parachute on top of that! Genius!

A successful Mün landing follows, completed with an inscribed plaque on a flag planted to memorialize the occasion.

The return trajectory is wildly successful, with Earth reentry over the ocean plotted from a single burn, no Mün orbit required.

Upon reentry, after on otherwise textbook mission, the Kerbalnauts (Jebediah, Bill, and Bob) discover the critical design flaw. The SAS is easily separated from the capsule with force of the parachute.

This separation duly occurs approximately 100 meters above the ocean, resulting in the critical loss of structural integrity of the capsule, and the deaths of all aboard.

nooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
First stage: Parachute, command, 1 90 units liquid tank , 3-4 medium landing struts, 3-4 24-77 engines.

Second stage: SAS, ASAS, RCS tank, 3 RCS, 1 180 units liquid tank, nuke engine.

Third stage: 4 long solid boosters.

Fourth stage: 4 Mk1 jet fuselage with jet fuel, 8 turbojet engines, 16 ramair intakes. Some bracing added.
Stages one and two are easy to understand. What is the core of stages 3 and 4? Structural section that doesn't hold fuel?

And I don't really understand stage 4 at all.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM

It doesn't strike me as a good idea to use SRBs in the later stages. Seems like you should always burn those at the initial launch and then get rid of them.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
It doesn't strike me as a good idea to use SRBs in the later stages. Seems like you should always burn those at the initial launch and then get rid of them.
Indeed, they're only for getting a bit of boost at liftoff, and are then discarded.

I also don't see the point of stacking an ASAS and SAS, unless you just like hauling extra weight for no purpose.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:15 PM

For clarity's sake, I should mention that I named the stages from top to bottom. Hence, the fourth stage is the first to go. That was my bad.

"What is the core of stages 3 and 4?"
The SRBs are attached to the nuke engine. The jet engines are attached to the SRBs.

Another thing that works is attaching a bi-coupler to the bottom of the nuke engine and then attaching two bi-couplers to it. This functions as a quadri-coupler. The ship can get a little too high in that configuration, though.

SRB not being used at launch:

Rockets need fuel and oxidizer. Jet engines need fuel only because the oxidizer is taken from the atmosphere. This design allows me to avoid carrying oxidizer for the first 10-20KM, which are the most demanding in terms of thrust and weight. This results in having to carry both less oxidizer and fuel.

I use the jet engines as high as they have enough air coming in (about 20K last time I did it). When they get to around 0.02 of air intake, I chuck them and then use SRBs which I bank at a progressively shallower angle Eastward. Since the SRBs are ignited where the air starts to get thin, they don't have to fight air resistance anywhere near as much as if they were ignited at launch. With the thin air and the built up velocity, 4 SRBs are enough to get the apoapsis of stages 1 & 2 above 70K (200K last time I did it). Once I get above 70K, I chuck the SRBs and fire the nuke engine at low thrust to get my periapsis above 70K. 131/180 fuel in the tank last I did it.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 06-21-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:39 PM

Since you may have difficulty picturing it, I'll show you images.

Here is a somewhat modified version which uses 8 fuselages and 32 intakes to get higher. If you want to picture the one I described before, just imagine it with a double jet engine at each fuselage and no second layer of jet fuselage.

http://i.imgur.com/XE5SQ0d.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/y8Nc9Oy.jpg

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 06-21-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 PM

Sorry for the multiple posts:

http://i.imgur.com/ANPUr2A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ExWmVBg.jpg
Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

You know that looks like it was designed by a lunatic, right? I mean that with all due Kerbalesque repect...
Old 06-21-2013, 10:02 PM

I changed up a few things and got even better results. The changes are obvious except for the addition of RCS because it spins during the jet engine phase and the SRB phase requires rapid changes.

http://i.imgur.com/EK0bsli.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/P0hxMZJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/u9bVQgL.jpg

I nearly got into stable orbit with the SRBs. With a little thrust from the nuke engine, I got a periapsis of 70K and an apoapsis of about 1.5M with this much fuel left:

http://i.imgur.com/3Rboye4.jpg

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 06-21-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
You know that looks like it was designed by a lunatic, right?
It does. And it is awesome. I have to admit that is nowhere near what I was picturing in my mind.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I managed to get Jeremiah Kerbal up about 15,000 metres and get him back to the ground without dying. That's a huge accomplishment for me. You guys are so far ahead I'm wondering if you studied this at school. I can't even get stages to separate.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I managed to get Jeremiah Kerbal up about 15,000 metres and get him back to the ground without dying. That's a huge accomplishment for me. You guys are so far ahead I'm wondering if you studied this at school.
Orbital mechanics? Actually, yes.

Quote:
I can't even get stages to separate.
You need to put a decoupler between each stage, with the arrow pointing upwards. You separate stages with the space bar.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I managed to get Jeremiah Kerbal up about 15,000 metres and get him back to the ground without dying. That's a huge accomplishment for me. You guys are so far ahead I'm wondering if you studied this at school. I can't even get stages to separate.
We all go through a stage of hilarious disastrous attempts. You'll get to where we are a lot faster than you think. This is a game where failure is fun and where thinking things through pays off.

This 18 ton vehicle gets the 1 ton xenon probe into stable orbit with more than 690/700 Xenon fuel left in the probe. If I worked out the angles better during the SRB phase, I wouldn't even need to use the Xenon engine to get a periapsis above 70K. Escaping Kerbin without using the Xenon engine is easy.

http://i.imgur.com/F5vwAS5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zxBvddF.jpg

After I got the idea of using as much ambient oxidizer before using rockets, I researched it and found that this is a jury-rigged way of creating a sort of air turborocket. I guess KSP will eventually include air turborockets as parts but until then, this Munatic design has to be used to replicate its advantages. Perhaps someone has already created such a mod?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_turborocket#See_also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_Engines_SABRE

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 06-22-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't even get stages to separate.
When you are building the ship you have to pay attention to the order where things are going on the right hand side. If you let the game decide, it will put the gantry release somewhere near the final stage separation.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
We all go through a stage of hilarious disastrous attempts.
Just one? I'm still dropping thirty ton tanks of rocket fuel on the space center.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
We all go through a stage of hilarious disastrous attempts. You'll get to where we are a lot faster than you think. This is a game where failure is fun and where thinking things through pays off.

This 18 ton vehicle gets the 1 ton xenon probe into stable orbit with more than 690/700 Xenon fuel left in the probe. If I worked out the angles better during the SRB phase, I wouldn't even need to use the Xenon engine to get a periapsis above 70K. Escaping Kerbin without using the Xenon engine is easy.

http://i.imgur.com/F5vwAS5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zxBvddF.jpg

After I got the idea of using as much ambient oxidizer before using rockets, I researched it and found that this is a jury-rigged way of creating a sort of air turborocket. I guess KSP will eventually include air turborockets as parts but until then, this Munatic design has to be used to replicate its advantages. Perhaps someone has already created such a mod?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_turborocket#See_also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_Engines_SABRE
Holy cow your designs are blowing my mind!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:28 AM

This:

http://i.imgur.com/GV408XX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gDWUpF4.jpg

Got me here without using anything else than the jet engines, the SRBs and RCS:
http://i.imgur.com/yj9M97g.jpg

Started at 117.57 tons. For a payload of 1.06, this means a ratio of 111/1.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 06-22-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:44 AM

Would someone know if it's possible to choose one's launching time aside from repeatedly reloading? For what I want to do, launching around sunrise would be best because it would mean* that my ship would be pointing toward Kerbin's prograde. If I point toward Kerbin's retrograde, I'm losing velocity for nothing. If I point anywhere else, I'm either heading away from Kerbol or toward it.

*If I understand correctly, if I have this wrong please tell me.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
Appropriate username/post combo.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Of course, experimenting on your own freely and learning by trial and error can be extremely entertaining, but it is worthwhile at some point so consult the previous work of others. Among the many tutorials out there, those that I personally have found the most useful are by Scott Manley.

Give 'em a go.

In other news, here's some of my screenshots of:

Mün landing.

My largest launch vehicle and heavy lander, ready for a night launch. This vehicle will deliver three Kerbals to anywhere in the Kerbol system, and, if done correctly, with enough fuel to return to Kerbin.

Kerbinrise on Minmus.

Rover on Eve.

Large intersystem probe approaching Jool.

Space plane ascent, and in orbit around Kerbin.

Last edited by Knorf; 06-22-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

I'll add one more: here's Jebediah, after, uh, "landing" on the Kerbin South Pole.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Damn. I seem to be going backwards. I can't even get anything into orbit atm.

eta: I am very jealous of Knorf....

Last edited by Ike Witt; 06-22-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:02 AM

I really like Michael's turborocket boosters. I put two on a basic two stage rocket, and it's currently in orbit with a full tank of rocket fuel.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I really like Michael's turborocket boosters. I put two on a basic two stage rocket, and it's currently in orbit with a full tank of rocket fuel.
Well, quite a compliment then.

On a note related to something I said earlier: If you want to visit planets closer to Kerbol than Kerbin, head straight toward the sky during the day. If you want to visit planets further to Kerbol than Kerbin, head straight toward the sky during the night. Doing that will leave you on an orbit around Kerbol that's closer to where you want to go. Think of it this way: Kerbin has a far side and a near side too, they just happen to be revolving.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 06-23-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:22 PM

I landed a probe on Minimus. I still need to lower the rover onto the surface using a complicated sky crane system, but it's symphony in the park night. The unloading was accomplished on the Mun by losing one of the landing struts and having the whole thing tip over while I frantically separated the stages.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Well, I managed to get a satellite to not crash on Kermin.

Regrettably, it did not so much assume a stable orbit as it shot away from Kermin never to return. It is assuming its own orbit around the sun.

I refuse to do anything but trial and error. I cannot even begin to imagine how you'd get someone safely on the Mun. How do you even AIM for it?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Well, I managed to get a satellite to not crash on Kermin.

Regrettably, it did not so much assume a stable orbit as it shot away from Kermin never to return. It is assuming its own orbit around the sun.

I refuse to do anything but trial and error. I cannot even begin to imagine how you'd get someone safely on the Mun. How do you even AIM for it?

Get into orbit around Kerbin. Wait until you just about see the Mun from your ship orbit around Kerbin, start thrusting. You will see the other end of your orbit gain altitude. If you want to save fuel, do it in a few passes.

Once your orbit is around 11M (be careful, it grows quickly the farther it is) your orbit will change color and you'll get pointers on the nearest approach. Make last adjustments and fast forward.

Once you're close enough to the Mun to be attracted by its gravity, your projected trajectory will radically change. You will then need to thrust retrograde to get below escape velocity until your trajectory curves enough to become an orbit around the Mun.

Sounds impossibly complicated but, like orbiting, once you get the hang of it, it'll seem simple.

To others: Does landing gently at the right angle without a parachute ever become simple? I've done it a few times but it's really chancy for me still.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 PM

Since I was just experimenting, the payload of this only consists in a command module and two thermo generators. Nevertheless, since the major difficulty lies in not reaching Kerbin escape velocity, I think it has potential to deliver sizable payload into space.

http://i.imgur.com/5lSHOpB.jpg
Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
How do you even AIM for it?
From the map screen you can click on it and select as target.

FYI, I just saw something that said it is easier to visit Minmus than Mun. I can't vouch for that tho.

What I can do is put something into orbit that at least do a fly-by of either. In practice I'm having a hard time getting into a flat equatorial orbit on a regular basis. Right now from the map screen Kerbin looks like a messed up Nitrogen atom. I am not sure but I think if my ability to get to orbit improves I should have enough fuel to orbit either of the moons.
Landing and then returning is still a long, long way away.

Last edited by Ike Witt; 06-24-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Minmus has a smaller sphere of gravitational influence, and requires a larger delta-v (Δv) to get there, so is a bit harder in that sense. However, its much lower gravity, and larger and more obvious "flat" regions, make getting the actual lander down in one piece much easier. Also, it takes very little thrust to get back into Minmus orbit (not that Mün is a particularly steep gravity well, either, but it does require a bit more delta-v).

In terms of targeting either, and getting back to Kerbin, I highly suggest making use of maneuver nodes, which you can create by clicking on the orbit in the map view. Do look at Scott Manley's tutorials, or the "official" KSP tutorials, to get a sense of how the nodes work. They give you a resulting trajectory and orbit for a burn in any given direction, and will show you if you will enter a moon or planet's sphere of influence. You'll also see next to the nav ball a curved bar showing you how much delta-v you'll need to execute the maneuver, and the approximate time in seconds at full burn. Once you've made a node, you simply aim at the blue crosshairs on the nav ball at the proper moment and burn, baby, burn.

You don't need to worry about launching at sunset or sunrise or whatever. It's perfectly fine to launch whenever you feel like it and use a Hohmann transfer orbit. The maneuver nodes exist to help figure that out, if you don't feel up to the math.

Last edited by Knorf; 06-24-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added links
Old 06-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I have actually watched a couple of Scott's videos. He seems to have no trouble doing the gravity turn and that is a PITA for me.

I am very excited now. I have my first fly-by of Mun set to happen and in the process of setting it up I found out how to do a slingshot move to really expand the orbit. The fly-by is close enough that it is going to effect my orbit, just not slinging me. I am reluctant to try it because I am still worried about bringing all my pilots back alive if I can.

ETA: Will pilots starve if they are out long enough? Will they always survive if you have the fuel and nothing goes wrong?

Last edited by Ike Witt; 06-24-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

double post

Last edited by Ike Witt; 06-24-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:13 PM

This gets into stable orbit with still half of the 90 unit liquid fuel tank it starts out with:
http://i.imgur.com/gmzpWLJ.jpg
Old 06-24-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
ETA: Will pilots starve if they are out long enough? Will they always survive if you have the fuel and nothing goes wrong?
They can't starve or run out of oxygen. As long as they don't hit anything too hard, they'll survive.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This gets into stable orbit with still half of the 90 unit liquid fuel tank it starts out with:
http://i.imgur.com/gmzpWLJ.jpg
Well, if it ever becomes important to have an ultra-efficient orbital launch vehicle, and the game developers don't update the model for atmospheric drag, you'll be set.

Although you might find that a well-executed gravity turn will do even more for you than using air-breathing engines, which exploit the overly simplistic drag model in the game.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Well, if it ever becomes important to have an ultra-efficient orbital launch vehicle, and the game developers don't update the model for atmospheric drag, you'll be set.
I read that it's a coming change. It'll be fun to see how well this design does and how it has to be modified to give the same result. In any case, above 20K, the ship is s pretty aerodynamic; it's just the command module and what's underneath it going at about 1KM/s.

Quote:

Although you might find that a well-executed gravity turn will do even more for you than using air-breathing engines, which exploit the overly simplistic drag model in the game.

Please explain.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 06-24-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Please explain.

Never mind, looked it up.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

So, I had my encounter with the Mun and it didn't go as predicted. The map showed me being slowed down by the Mun (I think it was as close as 42,000 M) and settling into a new Kerbin orbit. However, I was close enough to get into Muns gravity well and achieve orbit. For the first time in years I put on Pink Floyd and did and the album ended in time with Kerbin rise and the completion of a burn to get me back.

The launch vehicle I have is forgiving enough to overcome my bad gravity turns yet still get a capsule with a lot of fuel into orbit even if it does rattle like a Yugo. Learning how to change my orbit plane and see how sling shots work....I am going to try and send a prob to Duna.

I know that I can land somebody on Mun but I have no idea how to get them back and I still don't know if I want to stand someone there.

Last edited by Ike Witt; 06-24-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 AM

This is my Mk II manned turborocket. It's a bit tempermental during launch - it is necessary to start the rocket engine and then eject the jets before the jets stop functioning - but the command pod has survived both of these accidents undamaged and landed safely. It's not equipped for a lunar landing, but reaches orbit with 75-80% of a full tank and has a docking port to allow refuelling.

Quote:
I know that I can land somebody on Mun but I have no idea how to get them back and I still don't know if I want to stand someone there.
Do it - stranding someone just gives you another objective to strive for.

Last edited by Grumman; 06-25-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 AM

The Mk III manned turborocket is now in an elliptical orbit in preparation for its moonshot. I expect it to be more successful than my past attempts, now that I have access to more appropriate components.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
This is my Mk II manned turborocket. It's a bit tempermental during launch - it is necessary to start the rocket engine and then eject the jets before the jets stop functioning
That's a long ladder to fall down. I guess it might not matter on the Mun.

I get best results by clicking the Resources tab then clicking Air Intake so that it's visible just by looking at the engine. When the engines start getting to 0.01-0.02 of air intake, I chuck them, wait until the rest of the rocket gets to its apoapsis and then ignite the rocket. That works best with a booster as Stage 2. With a low thrust/high efficiency rocket, you might need to thrust as soon as you chuck the jets.

Quote:
The Mk III manned turborocket is now in an elliptical orbit in preparation for its moonshot. I expect it to be more successful than my past attempts, now that I have access to more appropriate components.
Do you mean the pay version or mods?

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 06-25-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Do it - stranding someone just gives you another objective to strive for.
So got Bob into a low lunar orbit and quick saved. Here are the outcomes of my attempts.
1. Crash landing, Bob is killed.
2. Crash landing, Bob survives and plants a flag.
3. Crash landing, Bob survives and is trapped in wreckage.
4. Crash landing, Bob survives and is trapped in wreckage.
5. Lunar landing, Bob survives and plants a flag. Ladder came off at some point so Bob is stranded.

What I didn't know is that you can't branch out from saved points. You can only redo the same thing over. I do know that I can get myself to leap over the lander so I may try to see if I can get Bob back in the ship that way. The next option is to mount a rescue but again I have no idea how to bring somebody extra back....that will be an interesting challenge.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
What I didn't know is that you can't branch out from saved points. You can only redo the same thing over. I do know that I can get myself to leap over the lander so I may try to see if I can get Bob back in the ship that way. The next option is to mount a rescue but again I have no idea how to bring somebody extra back....that will be an interesting challenge.

The Mk 2 lander can has room for two people. Use one crew to get back to Bob, get in the lander can (you might need to install a remote control module), get back to Kerbin.

Or you could use the Mk3 cockpit which has room for three; before launch, make one of your Kerbin exit the cockpit to his death. You now have a command pod with an extra seat.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I am just curious, how high can the jet engines operate before they run out of oxygen?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 PM

I usually don't get more out of them than 20K although I've seen videos where they were taken to 25K, I think. If I remember correctly, Scott Manley said there was a hard 30K limit built into the code.

Doing your own tests for your own designs just requires clicking the resources tab and then the air intake. Keep an eye out for it and see at what altitude it fails.

Misc note: For optimal Kerbin escape, you can fast forward time at the usual 1/5/10/50/100/1000/10000/100000 when you're on the launch pad. This allows you to have your launch pad face the right direction in the solar system and may also allow Kerbin to get closer to other planets.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
That's a long ladder to fall down. I guess it might not matter on the Mun.
That's not the lander variant. I don't actually use the ladders on the bottom stage, they're just there for flavour.

Quote:
I get best results by clicking the Resources tab then clicking Air Intake so that it's visible just by looking at the engine. When the engines start getting to 0.01-0.02 of air intake, I chuck them, wait until the rest of the rocket gets to its apoapsis and then ignite the rocket. That works best with a booster as Stage 2. With a low thrust/high efficiency rocket, you might need to thrust as soon as you chuck the jets.
You can also just right-click (or left-click? one or the other) on the Air Intake directly.

Quote:
Do you mean the pay version or mods?
Pay version. I came pretty close to successful landings in the demo, but I expect it to be much easier with the right tools for the job.

Last edited by Grumman; 06-26-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

My first few attempts at a rescue have failed. I took the same design that got Bob to the Mun and got the pilot out before launch. BTW, they don't die, you can go to mission control and select the pilot and end the flight-the ship will stay empty on the launch pad. I got the ship into orbit and then it died. I had added the remote control system but I guess I needed to add batteries as well. My other attempts have been with newer designs that I can't seem to get into orbit on a regular basis. My new idea will be to just use brute force to get an appropriate ship into orbit.