Old 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
In any MMORPG the casual gamer cannot compete with the pros and the addicts.
This is why I don't PvP. I work for a living and don't have time to "git gud".
Old 03-24-2017, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Star Citizen has more competition. Starfighter Inc. intends to tread a unique path, aiming to be the most realistic space combat simulation ever created.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Articles criticizing Roberts and/or his game have been disappearing, along with at least one response from Roberts?
Old 03-31-2017, 04:01 PM

Well, that's not really a fair summation of the article. 2 articles have disappeared, from one site, and Robert's reply has disappeared from his, and both parties have stated that they've agreed to remove them.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

As the article states:
Quote:
It seems Defy Media simply no longer wanted the threat of a lawsuit hanging over their heads, and decided to axe the articles. This kind of arrangement happens often in media, where larger companies can stick up for themselves while smaller players simply cannot afford the risk of a major lawsuit.
Makes me wonder if anyone else is being threatened with lawsuits for being critical of Mr. Roberts and/or his game.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-31-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Releases keep on slippin', slippin', slippin' into the future.

Also of note, that ship you worked so hard to get and upgrade? Other players can steal it!

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-04-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:27 PM

What I really want now is a single player big budget, sci-fi game with lots of player narrative agency and top fo the line graphics, and PC exclusive (at least at release), so there's no temptation of dumbing down the interface or the narrative agency, or the combat.

Especially now that Mass Effect has imploded so impressively.

::sigh::
Old 08-04-2017, 04:35 PM

It really amuses me how concerned you are about all this. I don't think that's the reaction you think you're getting.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
What I really want now is a single player big budget, sci-fi game with lots of player narrative agency and top fo the line graphics, and PC exclusive (at least at release), so there's no temptation of dumbing down the interface or the narrative agency, or the combat.

Especially now that Mass Effect has imploded so impressively.

::sigh::
Stellaris
Old 08-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
It really amuses me how concerned you are about all this. I don't think that's the reaction you think you're getting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
I think it's become an interesting phenomenon. They've taken in all this money, said that the game would have been ready two years ago, still have tons of work to do if they're going to include everything mentioned in stretch goals, are not speculating on a release date...
Quote:
I strongly suspect that Chris Roberts won't authorize a full release until the core game has at least caught up with everything that Elite: Dangerous already offers. Which won't be any time soon because Frontier tries to add content to their game every quarter.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:03 PM

The two-year anniversary of this thread was slated for October, but we'll probably have to push it back to Q1 of 2018.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:09 AM

The problem for Star Citizen is that it's falling off people's radar. Noone cares anymore, except the people who've invested a lot already. 3.0 isn't going to create a game yet, until they go persistant it's still just a glorified tech demo.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
This is why I don't PvP. I work for a living and don't have time to "git gud".
True, it's why I like to read all those articles about the grand schemes and battles that take place in Eve online, but I'll never jump in and try them for myself.

Even Elite threatened to be too much for me, so much so that I sold my xbox to ensure it stayed that way.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:46 PM

To me, SC represents a fascinating ongoing case study about Kickstarters, consumer expectations, the cult of personality around Chris Roberts, and the rabid supporters/detractors on both side. Every few months, I am somehow reminded of the game and I look up its progress, relevant news stories, etc. Then I forget about it again.

If the game ever launches and if it delivers on its promises*, it'll be one hell of a game. Until then, the primary way to enjoy it is as a spectator. I happen to be a spectator who feels that Chris Roberts and co. have no particular reason to worry about deadlines when they've managed to secure a reliable revenue stream through the sale of virtual goods that, generally, can't even be used virtually.

But, unlike how some folks (here and elsewhere) were gleefully cheering on the crash'n'burn of No Man's Sky, I'm not actively hoping for failure. More like I'm expecting it based on what I read. Too bad. It could be great.

*Since one of the promises is that the game won't be pay-to-win, I'm not confident that they'll be able to deliver. If/when the game launches, it'll launch with millions upon millions of real dollars worth of capital ships floating around. The idea that an entry-level player will be able to catch up becomes less viable with each passing year and each dollar 'donated.'
Old 08-05-2017, 12:55 PM

As always when this thread gets bumped, I'm interested to hear from any Doper backers on how things look from inside the game.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushkin View Post
Even Elite threatened to be too much for me, so much so that I sold my xbox to ensure it stayed that way.
I play in a private group dedicated to PvE that has a presence on the consoles as well. No need to "git gud".

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-05-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
To me, SC represents a fascinating ongoing case study about Kickstarters, consumer expectations, the cult of personality around Chris Roberts, and the rabid supporters/detractors on both side. Every few months, I am somehow reminded of the game and I look up its progress, relevant news stories, etc. Then I forget about it again.
Same here, I just happen to post what I find to this thread.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-05-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:14 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:

If the game ever launches and if it delivers on its promises*, it'll be one hell of a game.
The hell of it is, if this ever happens, which I doubt, someone else will create a better game like it that will blow it out of the sky, so to speak.

WOW wasn't the first MMORPG. Not even the first one that really worked.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If/when the game launches, it'll launch with millions upon millions of real dollars worth of capital ships floating around.
Some likely with 100% accuracy due to aimbots. Another reason I don't play Elite: Dangerous in Open.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-08-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:57 PM

CIG has removed 'aim dates' from its production schedule.

Probably a good move. Concrete public timelines only hurt them at this point.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 08-15-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Star Citizen is looking less and less possible with every new feature promised.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:49 PM

You can now buy land claims for 50 or 100 bucks a pop.

Each claim "will entitle the purchaser to a single four-kilometer square plot zoned for either commercial, residential or industrial use."

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 11-29-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:53 PM

They've raised over $150 million and are barely past EVE Online's spinning ships? Where can I find all these gullible people?
Old 11-30-2017, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Pledging for these claim licenses now allows us to include deeper features in the Star Citizen game, and is not required for starting the game.
Can you say "bloatware"?
Old 11-30-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Can you say "bloatware"?
Hasn't this been their problem since Day 0? They haven't finished any damn thing; they keep starting new things. Adding Promising features and delivering none seems to have always been their MO.

Last edited by gnoitall; 11-30-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
Hasn't this been their problem since Day 0? They haven't finished any damn thing; they keep starting new things. Adding Promising features and delivering none seems to have always been their MO.
Yeah, but now they're explicitly saying that they want to bring in more money with the goal of "deeper features". Squadron 42 was supposed to be their way of building up funds for Star Citizen but that game isn't showing signs of a full release any time soon, either. This harks back to a post by Johnny Bravo:
Quote:
In 2012, somebody backing the game could reasonably expect that he would be able to run it on a good 2014 rig, since that was when the game was supposed to be released.

Look, is Chris Roberts a development veteran-slash-genius who understands that ambitious games have 5-6 year development cycles? If so, then he lied to his backers when the Kickstarter was created because he knew the game wouldn't be done in 2014.

Or did he honestly believe he could deliver the game in 2014? If so, then he knows less than every SC fanboy on the internet who waves a hand and says "it's totally normal for game development to take this long, literally everybody knows that and should have known that from the moment they backed the game." And if that's the case, if he misunderstood such a fundamental concept, then he can't be much of a veteran-slash-genius.

We're into CS Lewis territory here. Either Chris Roberts is a fraud, delusional, or the messiah of gaming.
We're into classic swindle territory here, selling deeds to land that currently does not exist and may never will.

Plus there's that whole "more features likely means more impossible" thing in that article linked five posts up.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-30-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

More microtransactions on the horizon?
Quote:
[S]ome might even raise eyebrows at whether they actually need this further funding or not.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:30 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:

Each claim "will entitle the purchaser to a single four-kilometer square plot zoned for either commercial, residential or industrial use."
It is now beyond any reasonable question that Star Citizen is more a pyramid scheme than a game.

Before I thought Roberts was just misguided. Now I think there is actually a chance me might end up the subject of a class action lawsuit and/or under criminal investigation.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:13 PM

Star Citizen is the Future of PC Gaming Lawsuits, and the entertainment is Free to See this week. This is going up on all the gaming news sites, so take your pick, but try http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-crytek-lawsuit/ for some details.

If you're not aware, Crytek is a major graphics engine developer, one of the last in the game due to the expense involved. (CryEngine is so named because it's an engine devoted to making even the most powerful PC's cry. ), and was the initial engine used in Star Citizen. Crytek is alleging that they licensed their engine on the cheap to Cloud Imperium, mostly in exchange for some branding. However, Star Citizen was then ported to Lumberyard. That in-and-of-itself might have been alright, but CI removed all the publicity for CryEngine. (See one of the the stories to see how complicated the whole mess is, because it does not stop there.)

I actually have nothing against Star Citizen, and it would be very nice if the game came out. That said, the weird ongoing saga is probably more fun for me than playing the game, as I don't really do space sims.

Last edited by smiling bandit; 12-13-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:08 AM

Hell by this point you would think Crytek would be glad to be disassociated from this train wreck.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:12 AM

I read through the lawsuit on Kotaku. It looks pretty damning, but doesn't include the actual contract Crytek made with CIG - only references to it.

It's worth noting that Crytek itself has had a lot of money troubles over the last few years, so this may be motivated by financial woes as much as by the actual contract breaches.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:17 AM

Whatever happens in the lawsuit, Star Citizen can pay it off through microtransactions, so no worries.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Whatever happens in the lawsuit, Star Citizen can pay it off through microtransactions, so no worries.
Or maybe an Indigogo campaign.

One particularly interesting complaint is copyright infringement: that the CryEngine was licensed for the development of a "single video game called 'Star Citizen', and that the license did not extend to "any content being sold and marketed separately". And then CIG spun Squadron 42 off as a distinct product, still using the CryEngine. On the face of it, that sure looks like a license violation to me. We'll have to see how this goes. If CIG takes the lawsuit as seriously as software development, Crytek may win on default judgment.

Last edited by gnoitall; 12-14-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:26 PM

After reading some more, there are a few very interesting points, which reveals some information not previously public.

Crytek seems to have been involved early; in fact, the original development on Star Citizen may have mostly been Crytek doing the job. The company, now mostly defunct, apparently licensed out its engine on the cheap due to the close level of sharing and to further that sharing with an eye towards expanding their market. This would probably not have been cheap, and may have drained the company's resources.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

One backer has been refunded $17K of his $25K, wants more (translated from German by Google; here's the original).

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-18-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Alpha 3.0 review: Nice, but still full of problems (original German).
Old 12-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

This thread is now over 2 years old. I'm assuming that there has been some progress over that time.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
This thread is now over 2 years old. I'm assuming that there has been some progress over that time.
There used to be a projected completion date, which turned into a projected completion quarter, which turned into a projected completion year, which turned into a projected "soon", which turned into a solid "We're not going to talk about it".
Old 12-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
From the BILD review:
Quote:
As impressive as many of the new experiences and functions are in theory, so much is broken in the game. The game is still in the test phase and version 3.0 is not yet playable for all supporters. Almost every day there are updates. These eliminate some problems, but sometimes bring new ones into play.

Crashes and, above all, a bad performance cloud the fun even more. When we start in the universe, we usually move around with playable 20 to 30 frames per second in the impressive world. However, this frame rate breaks down after a short time. Most of the time, you're more likely to go with 15 or fewer frames per second. However, the performance has improved a little in the last few days with each update. The developers seem to be on the right track.

► Only with decent performance, the exploration of the moons, stations and the execution of new orders will work properly and also fun. Currently, especially fights and accompanying missions are practically not playable.

:snip:

Many features are missing completely or are only partially implemented. It may take a few more years before the title can be considered as a finished game.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-18-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Many features are missing completely or are only partially implemented. It may take a few more years before the title can be considered as a finished game.
And that's only if they stop adding new crap to the game...which they won't since that is what is keeping the long-conned and the newbies interested.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
There used to be a projected completion date, which turned into a projected completion quarter, which turned into a projected completion year, which turned into a projected "soon", which turned into a solid "We're not going to talk about it".
"We're not going to talk about it, but we have some "land" to sell you. (And don't forget to buy our second game!)"
Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 AM

Some more stuff.

The 3.0 alpha was apparently released just before the new year.

The Star Citizen folks have filed (pdfs ahead) a motion to dismiss the Crytek lawsuit. The full text of the GLA is here. An article is here.

If you have 95-725 space earth dollars to spend, you can get tanks.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:47 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

At some point in the near future, I expect a sequel to be announced and start-up funding to start.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The 3.0 alpha was apparently released just before the new year.
Yeah, I saw a review which says that Alpha 3.0 is still so full of holes that it won't be ready for Beta until at least 5.0.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
If you have 95-725 space earth dollars to spend, you can get tanks.
My expectation that Mr. Roberts will be indicted for a crime related to this only continues to grow.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Nice one at Forbes.
Quote:
Star Citizen won't launch in 2018. In fact, Star Citizen will continue to just be a weird meta-game that we're all supposed to puzzle out. Why are people paying thousands of dollars for digital ships that can't even be played yet? What's up with the feud between Chris Roberts and Derek Smart? How come a game that hasn't even released has its own convention already? These questions are all part of the puzzle---and that puzzle is the actual point of Star Citizen.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-14-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:53 PM

https://www.pcinvasion.com/crytek-hi...zen-legal-case

Crytek has responded to CIG's motion to dismiss the lawsuit.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Dan “Kamikaze” Adams, former lead technical designer, has announced his own space combat sim. Have the rats started jumping ship?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Two million suckers backers and still no end in sight.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

When you stick that much time and money into a project it becomes next to impossible to back out of the deal without looking the fool.