Old 03-03-2019, 10:18 PM

Some interesting upcoming announcements:
First public Tesla V3.0 Supercharger Station goes live Wed 8pm
And:
Model Y unveil event on March 14 at LA Design Studio

And some details:
Model Y, being an SUV, is about 10% bigger than Model 3, so will cost about 10% more & have slightly less range for same battery
Detailed specs & pricing will be provided, as well as test rides in Y

I'm certainly looking forward to the Supercharger V3. Rumors are that it'll enable 200+ kW charging. Depending on the charge curve, that could give a 10-60% charge for the M3-LR in around 11 minutes.

The Model Y will, according to tweets, not have the Falcon Wing Doors, and have similar styling to the Model 3. Seems pretty much inline with expectations. It also apparently has 75% parts commonality with the 3.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Musk on Thursday announced a radical change in Tesla’s business model. The Silicon Valley electric car maker plans to close most of its stores worldwide and go strictly to internet sales as it tries to cut overhead so it can sell a base Model 3 for $35,000 and still make money.
https://www.boston.com/cars/car-news...with-big-risks

I guess only those of us who are old-fashioned would want to do a test drive before spending $35,000+ on a vehicle.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

There's been a ton of backlash on the unexpected price drops on the Model 3 from people who bought them recently, and especially from those who bought the autopilot features.

I kind of get it, but I think of the advice I got when I bought my last few cars: "You thought it was a fair deal when you signed the papers... now avoid any discussion of the price of cars and enjoy your purchase, because you'll always be pissed off that someone else got a better deal than you."

On the prediction front, I bet as the advanced cruise control features become more common or even standard on other makes/models, the cost of the basic autopilot for Teslas will probably drop a lot in the next couple of years. For me, there's no damn way that adaptive cruise control is worth $3k. Maybe in three years, it could cost $750 to activate it, at which point I may consider it.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

I've not really looked into buying a Tesla, although I like the concept, because I can't really afford to spent even $35-grand on a vehicle. My brother did buy a model S some years ago (paying cash for it) and is generally happy with it, but various bits keep having to be replaced. For example, he's on his fourth flat screen panel and he was really happy he got the extended warranty. I just quoted him what the Saturday radio computer-tech guys say, "Pioneers get arrows."
Old 03-04-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I kind of get it, but I think of the advice I got when I bought my last few cars: "You thought it was a fair deal when you signed the papers... now avoid any discussion of the price of cars and enjoy your purchase, because you'll always be pissed off that someone else got a better deal than you."
That's where I'm at. Maybe I'm extra resistant, having always been close to the computer industry, so that stuff depreciating by 50% a year is the rule rather than the exception.

I think Musk said that early FSD buyers will get early access to various improvements, which seems like a nice low-cost way of throwing a bone to them.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
I guess only those of us who are old-fashioned would want to do a test drive before spending $35,000+ on a vehicle.
I don't think test drives are going away completely--Tesla isn't closing all of their stores. It's just the buying part that's moving to 100% online. But they will probably get harder to schedule.

That said, tests drives do seem a bit old fashioned. There's so much information available now that there really shouldn't be many surprises after the fact. Also, many of the subjective aspects (engine noise, transmission feel, etc.) are no longer relevant with an EV. The 7-day/1000 mi return policy should help with the comfort level, and Tesla wouldn't be offering it if they thought many people would be actually doing it (they have a shorter policy now, and it doesn't seem to be causing much pain).

And as I mentioned, there's Turo. If you're the type of person that is really sensitive to subtle aspects of the driving experience, you probably want something longer-term than a test drive anyway. Costs around $100/day around here.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I think Musk said that early FSD buyers will get early access to various improvements, which seems like a nice low-cost way of throwing a bone to them.

Ha ha. If you're really close to the computer industry, you know what that statement is code for. "We are going to take our most loyal customers, the ones least likely to complain, and make them beta testers."

Last edited by markn+; 03-04-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Ha ha. If you're really close to the computer industry, you know what that statement is code for. "We are going to take our most loyal customers, the ones least likely to complain, and make them beta testers."
The reason it works is because people like it. Same deal with early access on video games. Yeah, it's done because it's free QA. And yet the early access games I've played through (Minecraft, Factorio, Kerbal Space Program, Oxygen Not Included) have all been amazing. So it ends up being beneficial for both developers and users.

Like I said, it's low-cost for Tesla. Maybe even negative cost, depending on how you do the math. And yet people will get some value out of being able to try things earlier than everyone else. So users come away satisfied that they didn't get completely screwed out of $X and Tesla doesn't go bankrupt offering retroactive discounts to everyone.

As a more general point, it's actually kinda nice for there to be a closer connection between developer and user. It makes for a better product in the end even if there is some friction during the development process. The old way of a product being handed down from on high, where the users can take it or leave it, isn't sustainable any longer.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:18 AM

I'm definitely on side with that concept. If consumers and producers listen to each other the product usually ends up better in the end. The only caveat to that is "The Homer" factor (Early Simpsons reference). As to test drives, my recently purchased Focus ST is the first car I've ever bought without test driving one first. I sat in a few, and cars like it and I don't regret the purchase (although I wish the $35k Model 3s had come out 6 months earlier...). I did have a Focus before so I had an inkling of what I was getting though. About the only benefit that I can see to a test drive is doing one for 3-4 hours to see how you feel in the seat that long or taking one over the weekend. Two of my cars were purchased that way.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
There's been a ton of backlash on the unexpected price drops on the Model 3 from people who bought them recently, and especially from those who bought the autopilot features.
There's always owners whining about this in the forums every time there's a version out with new/better hardware that they missing out on purchasing by xx days, how it equates to a "slap in the face of a loyal customer", or some other nonsense.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:18 PM

Introducing V3 Supercharging

250 kW, 1000 mph charging on the M3-LR. No sharing with stall neighbors. Niiice.

Just one beta station for now, but a bunch more are coming.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:34 PM

I like the battery heating program. If you're headed for a charging station the battery will heat itself to the best charging temperature in anticipation.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
I like the battery heating program. If you're headed for a charging station the battery will heat itself to the best charging temperature in anticipation.
Yeah, that's really great news for people in cold climates. I know that can be a big factor in charge time at sub-freezing temperatures. Not a big deal for us Californians, but EVs need to appeal to everyone.

One other thing that I think Tesla could improve is the way they handle regen loss in cold temps. Currently, they just reduce the amount of regen you get, so that you depend more on the friction brakes. Really, they should regen at the full rate, but put the excess energy into heating the battery. The energy would be lost anyway, so you may as well put it to good use.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamatoTwinkie View Post
There's always owners whining about this in the forums every time there's a version out with new/better hardware that they missing out on purchasing by xx days, how it equates to a "slap in the face of a loyal customer", or some other nonsense.
People put up money for the privilege of waiting a year for shoddy workmanship in order to be beta testers and you think it's nonsense for them to expect parity in treatment with new buyers?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
People put up money for the privilege of waiting a year for shoddy workmanship in order to be beta testers and you think it's nonsense for them to expect parity in treatment with new buyers?
No one is talking about quality/workmanship issues in this instance. Those problems should be fixed under warranty, and I can certainly understand someone being very vocal/upset when it isn't done in a timely matter, or having to put up with it at all, especially if the #of defects are above industry averages.

But every time Tesla does something like increase the max power of the motor by 5%, cut prices , add bolstering to the seating, or add certain features to the Model 3 (like the v3 supercharging) that the older S/X aren't capable of, you always get people coming out of the woodwork on the forums completely outraged that Tesla made any improvements to the design or the pricing structure whatsover, and how any non-retroactive improvements to later models somehow invalidate their older car.

In some way it's understandable, given the pricetag and the fact that Tesla doesn't use model years to segregate all of their design changes, so you could miss out on a new feature by days. But geez, if you were happy when you bought it, and its the same car as what was promised when you bought it, why are you upset when there's something new out there?
Old 03-14-2019, 03:30 PM

Just a reminder: Model Y unveiling tonight, 8 PM Pacific. Watch the livestream here.

Good chance at a "one more thing," too, but who knows. Elon's been talking up the truck a bit--not impossible that we'll get a glimpse. Or maybe something Roadster related.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:21 AM

The Model Y came in pretty much as expected--basically a Model 3 in a crossover form factor. It looks pretty good, IMO--I still prefer the 3, but compared to the X vs. the S, the Y looks much better in comparison. The X just looks kinda puffy, but the Y actually has decent proportions.

I was surprised at there being a 7-seat model. Beyond that, prices and lineup pretty much match what's been said. First deliveries in Fall 2020, so there's still a bit of a wait. Maybe they're waiting for the Chinese factory to spin up.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Pulled up on the right side of a Model 3 at the light yesterday and I noticed a camera built into the door pillar aimed about 2 o'clock and downward. Did that have something to do with the autonomous driving?
Old 04-01-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Pulled up on the right side of a Model 3 at the light yesterday and I noticed a camera built into the door pillar aimed about 2 o'clock and downward. Did that have something to do with the autonomous driving?
Yes, the cameras are used for autopilot, as well as the lane change/blind spot alert system. The Model 3 has nine cameras total. Three front facing; the two in the B pillars, that you saw; two more in the chrome arrow shaped thing on the front fenders; a backup camera; and an interior selfie camera, which is currently not used for anything.

The eight exterior cameras (though I'm not sure about all of the front cameras) along with the forward facing radar and sonar sensors are used for autopilot, emergency braking, traffic aware cruise control, and proximity alerts.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:53 PM

The front and fender cameras are also used for the dashcam recording feature. Stick a USB drive in and it will continuously record video from these cameras. Hit the onscreen button after an incident and it will save the recordings permanently.

A truck tried to change lanes right into me the other day and the dashcam recorded the whole thing. Fortunately, there was no collision, but if there had been one I'd have his license plate number and video proof of what happened. There's a side view as well, though you can't see as much.

Dashcams are pretty common of course, but it's nice that this is all built in and doesn't require rewiring or extra blobs of hardware on the windshield.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:12 PM

We've taken the plunge!

We're picking up our Tesla Model 3 on Saturday! It's the Standard Range with RWD, with the partial premium interior. We sprung for the $5K autopilot, but not the $10k AWD and premium interior.

It will be used primarily as a commuter car; my wife's workplace is 20 miles across Honolulu each way. Her commute will be mostly on the freeway; electric cars can use the HOV lane with 1 person.

Obviously, Oahu is a great environment for electric cars: temperatures rarely get out of the 75-85 range. We're on an island, so no road trips: If you were to drive around the island, you're looking at 100 miles tops.

Question 1: We live in a house with a detached carport (which has plugs). There are standard electrical outlets. If I were to charge overnight, how much % would it go up? Would this could get back the 40 commute miles overnight? We have PVC powered by Tesla batteries.

Question 2: Our carport is at a right angle from our driveway. It's parallel to the street, which means we take an "L" past our mailbox. Does the auto-park feature work for backing in from the street?

Any other fun tips or things to do, even unrelated to charging?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:57 PM

Congrats! I still love mine more than a year later.

40 miles is pushing it for standard outlets, but you might get away with it. You can count on a charge rate of 4 miles/hr, so a 10 hr overnight charge will give you the 40 miles back, but not more. That said, if you don't drive too much on weekends, you can use them to top off any weekday depletion. And of course you can hit public chargers occasionally if you need. I've been surviving just fine on 120v charging, but my commute is <10 mi.

I have to admit, I've hardly ever used autopark. Maybe someone else has more experience there.

I bought a 4" memory foam mattress for the rear, to be used with the seats folded down. I plan on doing some car camping in it--I can set the climate control to be always on, and the seats are nearly flat when folded, so it'll make a nice comfy replacement for a tent.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post
Question 1: We live in a house with a detached carport (which has plugs). There are standard electrical outlets. If I were to charge overnight, how much % would it go up? Would this could get back the 40 commute miles overnight? We have PVC powered by Tesla batteries.
Using an entire 110 circuit (12 amps) can get you 4-5 mph of charging. Unless you have time-of-use metering, the car can start charging as soon as your wife gets home, which will probably push you up to 12-13 hours of charging.

One thing to be aware of is what else is on the carport circuit. For example, it would be annoying to trip a breaker if you turned on the toaster while the car is charging. If it is the case that the circuit you intend to use for charging has a load on it, you can tell the car to charge at a lower rate.

I do recommend getting some estimates for installing a 220 circuit in your carport. You'll have to decide what price is worth it to you, but it is much more convenient than 110. I lived with 110 for 1.5 months, and it was fine, but moving my unused dryer outlet was easy, and I'm glad I did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post

Question 2: Our carport is at a right angle from our driveway. It's parallel to the street, which means we take an "L" past our mailbox. Does the auto-park feature work for backing in from the street?

Any other fun tips or things to do, even unrelated to charging?
The autoparking on the Tesla is pretty bad. I mean, it does the actual parking fine, but it uses the cameras to look for spaces between other cars as potential parking spots. I've got 7000 miles on my car, and I think I've used autoparking twice. It just doesn't see parking spots very well. Unless you have cars parked on either side of your carport, it will probably never see it.

A good feature you might use for the carport is geofenced folding mirrors. So as the car gets close to the carport, it will fold in the mirrors. They will open again when the car exceeds 8MPH (or whatever). This is in addition to auto folding the mirrors when parked, in which case they will unfold immediately when the car is put into reverse or drive.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoreply View Post
I do recommend getting some estimates for installing a 220 circuit in your carport. You'll have to decide what price is worth it to you, but it is much more convenient than 110. I lived with 110 for 1.5 months, and it was fine, but moving my unused dryer outlet was easy, and I'm glad I did it.
D'oh! This outlet is in the laundry/mud room, just on the opposite wall of my garage. I used to charge my Fusion with 110 because I didn't want to invest in 220, but I see a fully electric Mustang-inspired crossover in my future, and 220 will be absolutely required. This will make things vastly cheaper, if the cord reaches.

Since I don't actually park inside my garage, would a charging station in the back of my garage be close enough to reach the charging port (probably on the left front fender)? The Fusion's 110 VAC charger cable was very, very long.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
D'oh! This outlet is in the laundry/mud room, just on the opposite wall of my garage. I used to charge my Fusion with 110 because I didn't want to invest in 220, but I see a fully electric Mustang-inspired crossover in my future, and 220 will be absolutely required. This will make things vastly cheaper, if the cord reaches.

Since I don't actually park inside my garage, would a charging station in the back of my garage be close enough to reach the charging port (probably on the left front fender)? The Fusion's 110 VAC charger cable was very, very long.
Other people may tell you different, but honestly I would try to put the outlet as close as possible to the charge port. You're going to be plugging/unplugging it a lot, and spending an extra ~30 seconds a day walking around the garage to plug/unplug and coil/uncoil cables starts to add up.

Last edited by YamatoTwinkie; 05-03-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamatoTwinkie View Post
Other people may tell you different, but honestly I would try to put the outlet as close as possible to the charge port. You're going to be plugging/unplugging it a lot, and spending an extra ~30 seconds a day walking around the garage to plug/unplug and coil/uncoil cables starts to add up.
Totally agree. And if cost is an issue, the cable for a 50 amp line does add up quickly. But even a 20 amp circuit running to somewhere near where you will plug in will be much, much more convenient, and is all that most drivers would really need.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:18 AM

Oh, the Universe is having a good laugh at my expense. I wanted a Model 3 but had to wait until the "affordable" versions were available. They were delayed, and I needed to replace my car sooner than later so last September I bought my second choice, A new Focus ST.
In November, the $35k option is announced. "That's OK", I thought, "It still would have been tight with the lack of any EV incentives in Alberta or Federally in Canada."
Then, oh, then I get an email from Tesla saying, "Good News! There's a $5000 incentive available Federally for certain Model 3 and other EVs."
Link here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road...-vehicles.html

To loosely quote Basil Faulty: "Thank You, You Vicious Bastard! Thank you so Bloody Much!"
Old 05-22-2019, 01:34 PM

Consumer Reports has negative views of Tesla 3's Autopilot lane-changing:
Quote:
More recently Tesla has given drivers the option to have Autopilot initiate lane changes without confirmation. But CR's reviewers argue that feature isn't ready for prime time. “It’s incredibly nearsighted," said CR's Jake Fisher. "It doesn’t appear to react to brake lights or turn signals, it can’t anticipate what other drivers will do, and as a result, you constantly have to be one step ahead of it.”

Tesla vehicles have a tendency to cut off other drivers when making lane changes, according to CR's tests. After changing lanes in heavy traffic, the Model 3 "often immediately applies the brakes to create space behind the follow car—this can be a rude surprise to the vehicle you cut off,” Fisher said.

CR found that the Model 3's rear cameras didn't seem able to see very far behind the vehicle. Autopilot has forward-facing radar to help detect vehicles ahead of the car and measure their speed, but it lacks rear-facing radar that would give the car advance warning of vehicles approaching quickly from the rear. The result: CR found that the Model 3 tended to cut off cars that were approaching rapidly from behind.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/05...-than-a-human/